Rush Limbaugh's Lack of Respect

What is ironic (and makes Rush even more of an *advertiser censored*) - is that the tremors and such that Rush was saying might have been caused by Fox not taking his medicine or acting - they're actually completely stereotypical of a standard Parkinson's patient on their medicine. The medicine causes the tremors!

What a moron. Facts never have gotten in his way to saying something stupid.

He just wants MJ Fox to hide what the disease is like, to do what he does for his acting gigs - film the 1-2 good minutes he has every few hours. Or, actually, what he wants is to be able to hide from the real, human cost of the policies he rants about, so his party can stay in power.

That's the real reason he's upset, and probably why Tucker is defending it - they don't want this fact shown, they don't want it to be visible what the consequences can be for voters choices. A nice abstract argument, and invoking murdered babies for stem cell research, with abstract people with diseases that you don't actually see on the other side is much easier to win than when you have to look at the people really affected, the real other side.

I used to listen to Rush religiously (I'm in an office by myself and he comes on after Neal Boortz). I forgave him for his hypocrisy about drugs. This one I don't think I can. I'm not totally for stem cell research but I understand Michael J. Fox being for it. If I had Parkinson's I would be campaigning for it too. Besides I love Michael J. Fox and it hurt to think someone would think he would exaggerate his condition for someone's campaign.

IdahoMom said:
I think Rush Limbaugh really went too far with his remarks about Michael J. Fox. :doh: What in the hell was he thinking? Very insensitive and deplorable, imo.
Limbaugh is basically attacking Fox because Fox is making him feel *guilty*. Being a narcissist (like damn near every other talk show dj), he feels the need to attack the person who is making him feel bad about himself. It's pretty standard ego maintaince response.

BillyGoatGruff said:
Limbaugh is basically attacking Fox because Fox is making him feel *guilty*. Being a narcissist (like damn near every other talk show dj), he feels the need to attack the person who is making him feel bad about himself. It's pretty standard ego maintaince response.
It just seems to me like if you believe in a position - you'd better be able to see the results of it, and accept them as a consequence of what you do. If you believe stem cells come from murdered babies, then you should be able to look MJ Fox in the eye, on his worst day, and say, "I'm sorry - but I won't kill a baby to cure your disease and save your life.". If you believe most criminals can be rehabilitated and should be let free, and it's worth the occasional mistake to not lock up people who can become productive members of society, you should be able to look a crime victim's family in the eye, and say, "I'm sorry - but I won't keep good, rehabilitated people locked up to ensure that the rare mistake doesn't slip out and kill your loved one." (just to provide an extreme conservative and liberal example).

Limbaugh either hasn't really thought about what his positions mean, or he is afraid his listeners haven't, and won't be able to accept the true cost of their support of anti-stem-cell research candidates.

Details said:
It just seems to me like if you believe in a position - you'd better be able to see the results of it, and accept them as a consequence of what you do. If you believe stem cells come from murdered babies, then you should be able to look MJ Fox in the eye, on his worst day, and say, "I'm sorry - but I won't kill a baby to cure your disease and save your life.". If you believe most criminals can be rehabilitated and should be let free, and it's worth the occasional mistake to not lock up people who can become productive members of society, you should be able to look a crime victim's family in the eye, and say, "I'm sorry - but I won't keep good, rehabilitated people locked up to ensure that the rare mistake doesn't slip out and kill your loved one." (just to provide an extreme conservative and liberal example).

Limbaugh either hasn't really thought about what his positions mean, or he is afraid his listeners haven't, and won't be able to accept the true cost of their support of anti-stem-cell research candidates.
Limbaugh doesn't believe anything he says--haven't people figured that out yet? Like a lot of radio guys, he sculpted a persona, one that he was able to sell to listeners. He's trapped in it now, and it will eventually put him in his grave. If you work in radio you see this kind of thing happen all the time. Most drive-time DJs have the luxury of being able to get in their cars and drive home and no one recognize them when they're not on the air. (And when I was working in radio I never met a successful DJ that didn't have a serious substance abuse problem of some sort, due largely to the weird hours they keep).Limbaugh made the mistake of making his face as recognizable as his voice in his marketing. Now he doesn't have his Clark Kent identity to decompress in.

It's like Stephen King once said, if he had his career to do all over again, he never would have done the American Express commercial where a world of loonies got to see his face and what he looked like/sounded like in real life. After that he was never able to shake the stalkers and was on the road to being Stephen King (insert trademark), not himself.

windovervocalcords said:
Yes thats the point.
And a delicious spoof it was!!

Do people really still listen to Rush Limbaugh? I haven't heard his name since it became inseparable from the word oxycontin. Maybe he pulled this stunt to get his numbers up....

BillyGoatGruff said:
Limbaugh doesn't believe anything he says--haven't people figured that out yet? Like a lot of radio guys, he sculpted a persona, one that he was able to sell to listeners. He's trapped in it now, and it will eventually put him in his grave. If you work in radio you see this kind of thing happen all the time. Most drive-time DJs have the luxury of being able to get in their cars and drive home and no one recognize them when they're not on the air. (And when I was working in radio I never met a successful DJ that didn't have a serious substance abuse problem of some sort, due largely to the weird hours they keep).Limbaugh made the mistake of making his face as recognizable as his voice in his marketing. Now he doesn't have his Clark Kent identity to decompress in.

It's like Stephen King once said, if he had his career to do all over again, he never would have done the American Express commercial where a world of loonies got to see his face and what he looked like/sounded like in real life. After that he was never able to shake the stalkers and was on the road to being Stephen King (insert trademark), not himself.
Oh, so he's kinda like Stephen Colbert, except without being funny OR thought-provoking...

cheko1 said:
He is such an arrogant azz! I can't stomach him. I wish he'd get off the air waves!
Why, just because you disagree with him? Don't listen to him if you don't want to, but don't wish him to be censored or taked on-air for his opinions. I am in radio so those comments always irk me, regrardless if I like the DJ or not. We have a right to be on air. Don't listen if you don't like it.

Dark Knight said:
Why, just because you disagree with him? Don't listen to him if you don't want to, but don't wish him to be censored or taked on-air for his opinions. I am in radio so those comments always irk me, regrardless if I like the DJ or not. We have a right to be on air. Don't listen if you don't like it.
They didn't wish him to be censored, to be forcibly removed - they just wished "he'd get off the air waves" - if there is any implication there as to how - it's that he'd choose it himself.

I wish he'd get off the air waves too - such a waste of space! But with his success, there are others and worse than him out there now.

Details said:
They didn't wish him to be censored, to be forcibly removed - they just wished "he'd get off the air waves" - if there is any implication there as to how - it's that he'd choose it himself.

I wish he'd get off the air waves too - such a waste of space! But with his success, there are others and worse than him out there now.
That shows intolerance to a differing opinion. I dislike Al Franken and Bill Maher, but I don't wish for them to leave the airwaves, I just ignore them. (I'd rather they not be on my TV outside of their shows, however, lol, but even then I just change the channel.)

Dark Knight said:
That shows intolerance to a differing opinion. I dislike Al Franken and Bill Maher, but I don't wish for them to leave the airwaves, I just ignore them. (I'd rather they not be on my TV outside of their shows, however, lol, but even then I just change the channel.)
Well then, I guess I'll just have to wish you understood what 'wish' means. :innocent:

I don't listen to Rush myself, but you have to admit that he gets people talking and, presumably, a lot of this country listens to him.

Dark Knight said:
I agree- obviously alot of people like to listen to him, or he wouldn't still be on the air. It's pretty easy to ignore him- all you have to do is preset your radio to the stations you want to listen to and skip all the rest! :)

IdahoMom said:
I agree- obviously alot of people like to listen to him, or he wouldn't still be on the air. It's pretty easy to ignore him- all you have to do is preset your radio to the stations you want to listen to and skip all the rest! :)
Nothing like doing your bit for "air pollution".

southcitymom said:
I don't listen to Rush myself, but you have to admit that he gets people talking and, presumably, a lot of this country listens to him.
I listen to Rush every day. He's a hoot.

JBean said:
I listen to Rush every day. He's a hoot.
My Dad and aunt used to be Limbaugh fans back in the day, I would occasionally hear a show or two. I felt like he had good points sometimes, but that he often took things too far (from the sublime to the ridiculous so to speak!)

He gets people talking - that's for sure - but I usually prefer less divisive fare! I only like divisiveness when I'M on the soapbox...LOL!!!:)

southcitymom said:
My Dad and aunt used to be Limbaugh fans back in the day, I would occasionally hear a show or two. I felt like he had good points sometimes, but that he often took things too far (from the sublime to the ridiculous so to speak!)

He gets people talking - that's for sure - but I usually prefer less divisive fare! I only like divisiveness when I'M on the soapbox...LOL!!!:)
I listened to him here and there - it's fascinating what you find out when you look into the facts behind the rants. One teacher talking on her own becomes a school board imposing a ridiculous policy on an entire district, a vote against a pork-laden bill becomes a vote against equal access for Eskimos or some such, etc.

What I found funniest was my Dad's response. He's got an extremely conservative mindset - influence in no small part by some personal issues with democrats, and enough intelligence that he can't see how anyone could possibly need the government's help.... So he loved Rush. Talked about how right he was, on so many things.... "except on environmental issues - his facts are wrong, and he lies and skews things and it's all BS". Hmmm - if he does that there dad - you think maybe he does it on other issues you just don't know as well?

Yeah, it's all an act, but the problem is some take him seriously and many seem to believe his 'facts' without checking out what the whole story is behind them.

The only time I listen to Rush or Hannity is when I'm in the car with my husband. He always seeks out stations that they are on for the "entertainment". It isn't these radio hosts that entertain him, though, it's me. He seems to get a kick out of the fact that when they say something I disagree with, I start talking back to them, with my voice getting louder and louder. It never fails that he says "you do realize they can't hear you, don't you?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back