Russia - Dyatlov Pass Incident: Mysterious Deaths of 9 Skiers, Feb 1959

As you may guess this incident is a popular topic of discussion in Russia since the mid-1990's. Prior to that time the story was little known outside the area where it happened because Soviet-era media was not keen on "negative" news. That same Soviet-era was very fond of UFO stories though, go figure.

Anyway I'm from Maine and don't speak or read Russian but this case was compelling enough for me to read many Google-translated Russian forums about it some years ago (talk about surreal language sometimes lol). Also one of the hikers was sort of French so people in France took an interest and I was able to find some interesting discussions in French (which I sort of understand) as well.

Theories invoked ranged from Yeti attack (the Yeti is Eurasia's Bigfoot) to UFO intervention but the most popular theories were much more down-to-earth scenarios. Direct military involvement has been ruled out from the start because if such had been the case civilian authorities including police would never have been allowed to get near the site, let alone perform autopsies. If the criminal investigation was allowed to proceed it's because the military and Party authorities, after running their cursory inquest, decided it was none of their concern. Had the opposite been the case all evidence would have been confiscated including perhaps a few witnesses.

It was much easier in the USSR for the military to barge in and take over the handling of such incidents than it is in the US: all they had to do was take over and act as if nothing ever happened. No cover-up required, no one was suicidal enough to dare question their actions. This did not happen in this case therefore we can assume it was considered either a crime or accident and lowly local cops were allowed to run their investigation. The fact that reports were filed away after the investigation is apparently simply because that's the way it was done in those days after any investigation: public access to police reports was severely controlled and usually restricted to "concerned parties". But that said those reports were nonetheless produced, and usually following very thorough investigations, and they were very detailed. Unfortunately most of the details never made it to the media.

So even though there are missing pieces in the archives and the available material is incomplete, what we do know is still useful in trying to figure out what happened that night. I noticed there are details that apparently got left out of the story as it is known in here in the US.

Cause of death appears pretty clear: hypothermia for some of them. The compression injuries found on other bodies are consistent with an avalanche event, either sustained as a result of being hit by the massive shock wave (ultra-high velocity displacement of an air mass), or the result of having been buried under tons of compacted snow for months. Shock waves can topple trains and destroy large buildings so imagine what it can do to a human body... this would be similar to injuries sustained in a vehicular collision. Missing tongue may simply have broken off once frozen stiff especially if it was hanging out the mouth as it often would if its owner died of suffocation. Bodies recovered in May were probably not in good enough condition to tell if death was anterior or posterior to the injuries.

What happened inside the tent, or maybe even the tent itself, constitutes the core of the mystery. What do you bring inside a tent? Your clothes, your sleeping bag, your food and a means to cook that food or produce heat for other purposes. Here are some theories I've read:

1) Massive food poisoning

The older among you or those who, like myself, like to read old National Geographics will recall that back in the 1950's the food industry was running extensive tests about subjecting food items to intense radiation as a means to preserve just about anything forever (fruit, meat, dairy products, bread, etc) without refrigeration or even without any sort of packaging. Believe it or not this actually works (I have always wondered if Twinkies had anything to do with this), but unfortunately it also makes food highly toxic and of low nutritional value. As usual in the US this was tested on "volunteers", read the military and guests of correctional and mental institutions. People got sick, idea was abandoned. But in the USSR the usual method of testing such experiments was to give it to the military without telling them and see what would happen. Since quality control was not a priority some items apparently carried radiation levels thousands of times above the safety level. Also in the USSR the selling of military surplus to civilians was extremely common: the stuff was cheap and useful. Among the military surplus "stuff" that was popular with hikers were tents, sleeping bags, boots, skis, etc. And rations. If those hikers ate "strong" radio-active rations the effects could be quick and sudden. The theory is not without merit but does not explain why they tore out of the tent in their underwear all at once.

2)Exposure to lethal chemicals

God knows what nasty chemicals a tent or sleeping bag bought from Soviet military surplus may have been exposed to. Some warfare chemicals tested at the time included delayed-release synthesized scorpionfish venom, one of the most potent pain-producing substances known. Individuals exposed to this brew, which can be absorbed by skin contact, experience pain so excruciating that they often beg for death and lose all reason, fortunately the effects only last a few minutes but they probably seem like hours to the victims. The primal reflex in such a situation is to run from the perceived source of pain regardless of environmental factors such as extreme cold, anything is better than the pain. If they though the source of that pain was the tent or something inside the tent they would never have returned there regardless of the cold. Remnants of a fire were found so someone was trying to keep warm but at -30C loss of consciousness and death occur fairly quickly when one has no clothes.

3) Equipment malfunction

If one's tent suddenly fills up with noxious fumes or smoke and they can't find the zipper in the dark they will likely bust out and quick without taking time to put on clothes. But in such an event one would likely not stray far away once they can breathe, unless they fear the situation may degrade, as would be the case if there had been the perceived risk of an explosion. I don't know if that's what they feared but I find it hard to believe one would run 1km almost naked at 30C below regardless of what heating/cooking device one uses. Even the Soviets didn't have nuclear Colemans.

4) Fear of imminent avalanche

These people were described as seasoned mountaineers and if there is one thing a seasoned mountaineer is terrified of is to find him/herself in the path of an avalanche. Those of you who have read Survive! will recall the description of the avalanche that struck the wreck of the plane shortly after the crash and as the result the constant overwhelming dread that it would happen again the survivors had to live with for weeks afterwards, some so terrified they never ventured out of the wreck? If one of those hikers became convinced an avalanche was about to hit and ripped the tent open to escape because he or she couldn't manage to find the entrance in total darkness it is guaranteed instant panic and the others would have followed within seconds. And they would have run as fast and as far as they could towards trees or anything they thought would have offered some protection. And then while waiting for the avalanche to occur they would have tried to get warm with a fire but at -30C hypothermia occurs fast and impairs judgment, then makes one feel like he's warm while his body temperature is dropping, warm enough that he or she may think they can walk back to the tent because, after all, there was no avalanche, and then lose consciousness on their way, and die.

Of these four theories my favorite is #4, it is the one most consistent with the evidence at hand and with human nature. Panic is very contagious and certainly qualifies as a "compelling force". Soviet investigators did not elaborate about theories because the media was not allowed to press them. Even here investigators don't like to theorize but will offer scenarios because of media pressure.

Sorry, KarlK, but your theory completely leaves out their massive internal injuries, none external, which pretty much rules out a direct force hit from trees, debris, etc from an avalanche. Plus, what about the burned trees? This was during the height of the Cold War, and I think the students were either active participants in an experiment gone wrong, or happened upon a quasi- radioactive force put into motion.
JMO.

Maria

Sorry, KarlK, but your theory completely leaves out their massive internal injuries, none external, which pretty much rules out a direct force hit from trees, debris, etc from an avalanche.

You forget the pathologist's comment about the injuries being similar to those sustained in a vehicle collision, a detail that prompts Morford to comment:

[...]two of the other four apparently suffered massive internal traumas to the chest, like you would if you were hit by a car.

Or hit by an avalanche shock wave which is similar to what a powerful explosion would cause. A large avalanche shock wave is very fast; if it happens when it's very cold air velocity can reach 400mph. Air speed is not related to the speed of tumbling snow (which is comparatively slow) but to its mass. The bigger the mass the more air is being expelled from the snow as it compacts (compacting means getting rid of air) and when this happens when ambient air temp is very low the sudden inflow of a large quantity of warmer air (air trapped in snow would be slightly below 0C) will cause thinner cold air to blast away at incredible speed. This is one of nature's most powerful phenomenon, even a strong tornado can't compare. Also, post-mortem compression injuries sustained by a body buried under tons of snow would probably not be visible externally especially when the body has been buried for months. I think that the "mystery" aspect stems more from the lack of published details than from evidence recovered at the scene. But we must remember that Soviet authorities would never have left civilians investigate the incident if ominous military experiments had been involved.

This happened in a remote wilderness area, with no known military activity nearby. Even in Soviet times young Russians who felt like it could go hiking just for fun as long as no one ventured in restricted areas, which Dyatlov Pass isn't. :)

Everyone knows that in cases of severe hypothermia, you get delirious, your body makes you feel abnormally warm, and you take your clothes off,, right...? Nothing odd about that part...

Their clothes were found at the campsite - they were half dressed because they were asleep when they awoke and exited their tents. They had such a sense of urgency to get out that 9 experienced outdoorsmen went out into -25 degree temps without getting dressed properly. That is the biggest mystery in this case. What happened that made them cut their way out of their tent and run out into the night?

From what I have read the official files on this case in Russia are highly classified. A lot of files were declassified when the USSR fell but this file wasn't.

Don't forget: the hikers were students or grads of Ural Poly Tech, known chiefly for it's military/defense/industrial engineering programs during the Cold War. Fresh graduates of this institution went straight to work in the USSR's military-industrial complex.

I wonder, does anyone know what field of study these nine hikers specialized in?

And what prompted Yuri Yudin to fall ill?

Or hit by an avalanche shock wave which is similar to what a powerful explosion would cause. A large avalanche shock wave is very fast;

There was no evidence of an avalanche. And how can they manage to trek over a kilometer in minus 30 degree temperatures in the midst of a crushing avalanche?

Yuri Yudin (Telegraph obit)
Yuri Yudin, who has died aged 75, was the only surviving member of a party of Russian students who
perished in mysterious circumstances in 1959 in what became known as the Dyatlov Pass Incident.
---
Yudin always felt that the Soviet military had probably been responsible in some way.

In an interview last year he recalled that he had been asked to identify the owner of everything found at the scene, but had failed to find a match for a piece of cloth that seemed to be of military origin, or for a pair of glasses, a pair of skis and a piece of a ski, leading him to suspect that the military had found the tent before the volunteer rescuers.

Yudin recalled that the authorities had seemed more interested in why the hikers were in the area in the first place than in how they died. “If they were really killed by a natural force, then there would be no secret, and we would not be talking about this 53 years on,” he observed.
---
the rest at the link above

Why would they be checked for radiation? Why would anyone think that a party of young skiiers killed in an avalanche/by hypothermia needed to be checked for radiation?

The Atomic Energy Commission (United States) got up to some vile things and not just on prisoners and inmates of mental institutions (which is bad enough). They experimented on school children, pregnant women, and hospital patients. They lied and killed people. So, if the U.S.S.R. was even worse (and it probably was), then heck yeah they sent these kids out there with a bomb.

There is a new book about this case: Mountain Of The Dead by Keith McCloskey

The good ol' Daily Mail has an article about it
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ered-hikers-Siberias-Death-Mountain-1959.html

from that article...

Or were the campers — as another unprovable theory suggests — collateral damage after a mass escape of criminal thugs from one camp in the area?

This was supposedly foiled by the KGB using missiles loaded with nerve gas or vacuum bombs that sucked the oxygen from the air — perhaps explaining the internal injuries some of the hikers suffered.

One of the Daily Mail commenters is a camper from Canada. This person said it was impressive the way the Dyatlov group handled a crisis in extremely cold temperatures. I know little of camping, let alone camping in extremely cold temperatures (except that any mistake can be lethal), but it does seem the group attempted to find ways to keep themselves warm. I know some were not wearing as many clothes as would be expected, but hypothermia does cause people to remove clothing. Also, it is possible their outer clothing had gotten wet somehow and they were trying to quickly change and were just overcome by cold and whatever else was happening before they completed the job.

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to share this book I bought & read today, which seems to solve the Dyotlov Pass mystery once & for all:

Dead Mountain: The True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident by Donnie Eichar

I bought it for Kindle on the Amazon site this morning, finished it by early afternoon. It's a quick read but enjoyable, and the solution offered by the author makes perfect sense, is backed with good scientific theory and seems the most plausible out of everything I've read on this event.

Thanks for the info, I may purchase that book myself. This story has always interested me.

The author of the book has many interesting photo, some from 1959 and some from when he went to Russia to retrace their steps. (and more)

I just got my copy of Dead Mountain yesterday and began it at lunch. Interested to see what his theory is.

I finished Dead Mountain and, to me, the author has pretty much nailed it with an ex plantation that could only really have been arrived at in the past decade, given what is now known about infrasound and the double vortex.

It's very difficult to even consider another explanation as they can all be pretty easily discounted (as the author does).

That's one more mystery which has been solved - for me - by reading a non-fiction book, although this wasn't a true crime one.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRJ
Back