Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only bodies of water I have seen physically on the park and adjacent to many of the tracks are severely evaporated water holes. Most have logs poking out indicating depth. Yesterday I noted in Boak road it is now obvious the police have searched - lots of flattened grass. I now wonder if she was dead when she left the park - would any of the dogs sniffed her scent if she landed on ground?

As note the parks rangers have removed most of the fly tipping and erected posts to stop cars using many of the smaller tracks. Makes future fly tipping harder. Hope future public searches (another happening today) know the park has changed since PS was arrested.

The only bodies of water I have seen physically on the park and adjacent to many of the tracks are severely evaporated water holes. Most have logs poking out indicating depth. Yesterday I noted in Boak road it is now obvious the police have searched - lots of flattened grass. I now wonder if she was dead when she left the park - would any of the dogs sniffed her scent if she landed on ground?

As note the parks rangers have removed most of the fly tipping and erected posts to stop cars using many of the smaller tracks. Makes future fly tipping harder. Hope future public searches (another happening today) know the park has changed since PS was arrested.

I don't think SM is in there

The search has been saturated all around, even with volunteers

And still no SM

Maybe the police, have a good idea what has happened to her, and they won't be able to retrieve her
(I hope not, for the families sake and the police investigation)

Maybe the search that the media got behind a week ago, the police stated they were looking for SM

was actually fake and a ploy used to get more information, put pressure on others to talk

But it's nearly 8 weeks since she disappeared, and supposedly VICPOL are still looking for her phone etc....

Without her body, VICPOL must have provided some damming evidence to link the accused to SM murder

Possibly a video / vehicle dash cam, with the accused with SM and killing her

VICPOL need to have a motive and will need to provide cause of death, possible a murder weapon

Unless they get a confession.

Hi Sleuths,

First time poster here.

Like many of you here, I too have a keen interest/obsession with true crime and have followed cases from the Claremont killer to the bodies in the barrel and East area rapist. I've listened to podcasts from True crime garage to Casefile and everything in between. Documentary's from the Ted Bundy Tapes to HBO Iceman interviews. True crime has fascinated me for over 10 years. I can't get enough!

Question: Does Patrick Stephensons profile fit the crime?

<modsnip - hearsay> He's not a highschool dropout. Not an ice addict. No evidence of sexual abuse. No history of violence. No record growing up. Not one blemish with the police. He was involved in a footy club and was quite a player from what i've heard. He has/had a stable long term girlfriend, with no history of domestic violence that's been reported. He's not a loner, infact he often goes camping with his mates. He's travelled overseas with his girlfriend and holds a current A-Class electrical licence and a steady job with his dad.

Was this a crime of insanity? A Cocaine/ketamine/mdma fuelled attack early that morning that started as a chat on his way home and ended up in death. Or did the police just catch a young Bradley Robert Edwards? A young man who has fantasised about this for a long time. If so, the young girl that was attacked 12 months ago may have been Stephensons first attempt.
All speculation of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
If not for Samantha's watch and phone,
nobody would know what really happened and where.

She would just vanish,
with nobody any wiser whether she is dead or alive.

And her alleged attacker would be free to roam and strike again.

Technology is a true ally of LE.

Now, where is my smartwatch?
I don't like wearing it,
but I will.
Always.
And my trusted phone is always by my side pinging happily :)
Thanks to it I can connect to WS and meet you all :)

JMO

Last edited:
Hi Sleuths,

First time poster here.

Like many of you here, I too have a keen interest/obsession with true crime and have followed cases from the Claremont killer to the bodies in the barrel and East area rapist. I've listened to podcasts from True crime garage to Casefile and everything in between. Documentary's from the Ted Bundy Tapes to HBO Iceman interviews. True crime has fascinated me for over 10 years. I can't get enough!

<modsnip - hearsay> He's not a highschool dropout. Not an ice addict. No evidence of sexual abuse. No history of violence. No record growing up. Not one blemish with the police. He was involved in a footy club and was quite a player from what i've heard. He has/had a stable long term girlfriend, with no history of domestic violence that's been reported. He's not a loner, infact he often goes camping with his mates. He's travelled overseas with his girlfriend and holds a current A-Class electrical licence and a steady job with his dad.

Was this a crime of insanity? A Cocaine/ketamine/mdma fuelled attack early that morning that started as a chat on his way home and ended up in death. Or did the police just catch a young Bradley Robert Edwards? A young man who has fantasised about this for a long time. If so, the young girl that was attacked 12 months ago may have been Stephensons first attempt.

We won't know if he has history until court

<modsnip - sub judice>

The police won't comment either if he is known to them

So we can't say he's squeaky clean until the proceedings start taking place
<modsnip - sub judice>

Hi Sleuths,

First time poster here.

<modsnip - hearsay\> He's not a highschool dropout. Not an ice addict. No evidence of sexual abuse. No history of violence. No record growing up. Not one blemish with the police. He was involved in a footy club and was quite a player from what i've heard. He has/had a stable long term girlfriend, with no history of domestic violence that's been reported. He's not a loner, infact he often goes camping with his mates. He's travelled overseas with his girlfriend and holds a current A-Class electrical licence and a steady job with his dad.

Welcome, Hills.
Insanity. In one sense, every criminal act is one of insanity. Momentary, or long term, or a temporary lapse of judgement, but only a few criminal behaviours earn the label of criminal insanity, , not many meet the criteria of medical insanity, either.

What we do know is, he knew right from wrong, because he has removed the body from where he murdered her and has hidden it. This presupposes the conclusion that he knew what he did, and he didn't want anyone else to know what he did. And, obviously, he still does not want anyone to know what he did to her. So he knows it was wrong / and has consequences.

I don't feel any urge to find excuses for this murder... like cocaine, ketamine, MDMA, fentanyl, alcohol, .. His deportment post killing ( he went to work on the Monday, etc,, he maintained his live in arrangement with his girlfriend without freaking out , he probably joined in the search, he's managed to maintain a superhuman state of silence while on Remand ) does not signify to me anyone coming off a hard addiction to anything.

People do dreadful things, they murder people stone cold, in broad daylight. On a sunny Sunday morning in the AU bush. Birds chirping, trees murrmuring, little grunts of sociable koalas, off in the distance the contented snort of a well fed horse, and here he is under the shade of the gum trees, murdering a woman of 51, a mother, a wife , a business operator, a runner, loved by her family and friends.

I don't know anything about his family life, except it appeared to be stable, and , taking AU stats into the equation, remarkably stable, he is male, white, tall, privately educated, living with mum and dad, who are still married, ( a roof over his head ) girlfriend, close small community, tradesman, earning good money, nice ute, friends, 2 stable fully employed sisters, what the hell was he doing out there killing women? He had all the advantages there are to be had.

Not insane, in any legal sense, and really, in any known clinical sense. Insanity does not come and go, at will. It does not come and go at one's convenience.

He could not be insane for a few minutes that Sunday morning, then snap back into awareness and cool cognisant mentally perceptive and responsive Patrick and perform the tricky body disposal he obviously did. Then go home for a nice roast lamb dinner, and off to work on Monday.

We won't know if he has history until court

<modsnip - sub judice>

The police won't comment either if he is known to them

So we can't say he's squeaky clean until the proceedings start taking place
<modsnip - sub judice>

Nifty, we won't know about the <modsnip - sub judice> priors until after the trial. That's if he did have priors. As a juror on a murder trial once, we had no knowledge that he had previously attempted murder. Each crime is based on that crime alone.

I don't feel any urge to find excuses for this murder... like ketamine, MDMA

If the accused took MDMA, the only crime he or she would be guilty of is hugging you to death and telling you much they loved you. With Ketamine, the accused wouldn't have the energy to do anything. So you can rule those two drugs out as a murder weapon immediately.

Note: Ketamine is regularly used in the ER and hospitals to control pain. It's very effective but renders the patient quite docile.
It's usually the drug administered for what is refered to as a medically induced coma. I'm sure you've heard of it. That's Ketamine.

Medically authorised MDMA trials are now underway in Australia in a world first to help with PTSD and related conditions. This drug is not the big boogyman people assume.

<modsnip - discussing moderation on the thread>

Not necessarily. There was another AU case of a man who murdered a boy, and it didn't come out until after the verdict that he had previous cases of child SA and assault. I'm not sure if this is the norm in AU though.
Imo
I think the judge or magistrate does take prior convictions into consideration, particularly those of a similar nature . .imo

Not necessarily. There was another AU case of a man who murdered a boy, and it didn't come out until after the verdict that he had previous cases of child SA and assault. I'm not sure if this is the norm in AU though.
Imo
Adrian Bayley’s sentencing for the rape & murder of Jill Meagher in 2012:

“Before passing sentence Justice Geoffrey Nettle went into significant detail about Adrian Bayley's background and his criminal past, providing additional information to that outlined at Bayley's pre-sentence hearing last week.”

Nifty, we won't know about the <modsnip - sub judice> priors until after the trial. That's if he did have priors. As a juror on a murder trial once, we had no knowledge that he had previously attempted murder. Each crime is based on that crime alone.
Are you sure that’s true in all cases? In the Claremont serial killer case in WA the prosecution were able to present propensity evidence, drawing the connection between a couple of prior offences

Hi Sleuths,

First time poster here.

Is there a link to MSM about the young girl attack 12 months ago please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member