SC SC - Johnny Lamar Brown, 44, Myrtle Beach, 3 Aug 2012 - #2

I have been spreading the word and intend to follow up at our next Commission hearing at the end of this month. The timing is actually perfect ,although we wouldn't have anything to do with LE.
At least it's raising awareness of potential issues for adults with developmental challenges.

Within this population there are often medical conditions that would certainly complicate a situation like this.

The other Commissioners are in various fields and none from SC or GA ,besides me so I haven't reached the right person to help in this case.

All of ours meetings are transcribed and public info so I'm trying to figure out how to frame this case,given our latest findings and discussion. :waitasec:
Fantastic, Miss James! Hopefully your advocacy will prevent this situation from happening again. bravo!:rocker:

I'm just going to say it,I'm confused. Both Summer Breeze and Steely Dan asked questions based on our ( my?) contact with Julie.
I was even asked for Julie's contact info so she could be interviewed for the WS Radio Show.
We put a lot of effort ,time and even money into helping this family .I'd like to believe we even made some progress for Johnny and his family .

This is beyond frustrating to me. Like Peekerfoo said,no good deed goes unpunished.

I'm doing a little head scratching myself because, had we not posted what JA was telling us,we would'nt have had anything to say about Johnny. Who would know about his story then? Obviously MSM wasn't pick up the story. There has been some local reporting (thank God), but getting the word out has been tough. Keeping in touch with the family was the only way we were getting even meager updates. Obviously they wanted our help or they wouldn't have spoken with us or been on the radio show.

I believe we did make some progress in helping this family and that's what's important. We gave them tools and it was their choice to use them ...or not.

SBM

Please tell me that is not the real name of an organization? Are people still using that word?

AFAIK, most states have MHMR centers.. mental health, mental retardation. That title has not changed in all these years, although people who work for them are strongly advised not to use the term to describe their clients. But yes... the word is still used technically.

eta: yep, I didn't know to call the ARC the ARC :) We did call it the ARC (and it was years ago, too), but I didn't know if it would be clear what I was talking about without giving the full name.

If y'all can help me find out something, please let me know:

If someone were at 'the Hill', what free newspapers are available around that area? Maybe I can call some diners and things that appear to be around there, too.

I'm still working on an ad, and I want to try to place it where it's most likely to help.

I know locally we have little neighborhood 'newspapers' and also free jobs 'newspapers', and real estate publications. I don't think the real estate ones would be helpful, but the other kinds may be the way to go.

As far as special needs folks and what they can do, in general, did any of y'all ever watch LA Law? I forget the character's name (maybe Bennie?), but a developmentally disabled man worked at the law office. He could do lots of things, but he still was more like a child when it came to street smarts or situations where he could be taken advantage of.

I helped put on a benefit concert for the Association for Retarded Citizens and got to meet a lot of special needs folks, tour their workplace where they sorted things for pay, etc. They can do lots of things, but they aren't fully independent. They need someone looking out for their welfare, too. There is a definite lack of street smarts and ability to handle very complex situations, if you understand the kind of full independence I mean by that.

I'm not surprised that Johnny has had a job, etc. But we have to be careful in assuming that he's able to be out living on his own in a strange town. I've seen no reason to believe that he knows how to navigate all of that by himself.

When I worked for MHMR several years ago, some of the clients did hold jobs and lived on their own, but they had family members who checked on them regularly and there were staff who did the same. Some of them were capable of doing many things for themselves, and a few of them were married couples.

People tend to forget that the developmentally disabled have the same rights as everyone else does. They are even allowed to vote, if they want to.

I hope Johnny is found soon. I've been thinking about him a lot.

Good work everybody!

I still think your posters may be the best chance, Peekerfoo...I mentioned doing something similar earlier in the last thread. Even if Johnny doesn't see them himself, if he has taken up with a homeless "family" or something of the sort I can see the possibility of them seeing and saying "Hey, aren't you the dude in that poster?" and then showing it to him. I cannot believe he wouldn't respond to it no matter what little bit of "fun" he was having for a minute. There are some, but not too many, who would prefer to live on the street worrying about their next meal (or next beer for that matter) when they can be in a home with a loving family.

I don't remember who said it but I also thought it was odd that Johnny just went off like that and thought maybe there was some kind of argument and the family feels guilty about it and that is their secret. Why would Johnny leave before having a family meal to go off, wouldn't he eat at the restaurant and then go on his own (maybe I'm just thinking of myself, cause I never turn down eating out when I have an offer, lol!)?! That has always struck me as strange.

Regarding the insider stuff: I don't get it all, but I do get that WS has their rules for a reason. It's just that it seems this is the first case I've know of where WS'ers are really the seeming force behind the organized and unorganized searches as it doesn't seem like CUE would have known about it without WS bringing it up. And, I truly believe the reason this case is even moving forward is because of the determination and perseverance of WS'er's (especially our dynamic trio!). I really, and truly feel, for the first time since I joined WS, that when this case is solved (and I feel, hope and pray that it is a happy resolution) it will be because of this group here. All IMHO...

ETA: Your posters are awesome Peek, and I would hate for that effort to go to waste. I think they are just the thing that could solve this, I really do.

I still think your posters may be the best chance, Peekerfoo...I mentioned doing something similar earlier in the last thread. Even if Johnny doesn't see them himself, if he has taken up with a homeless "family" or something of the sort I can see the possibility of them seeing and saying "Hey, aren't you the dude in that poster?" and then showing it to him. I cannot believe he wouldn't respond to it no matter what little bit of "fun" he was having for a minute. There are some, but not too many, who would prefer to live on the street worrying about their next meal (or next beer for that matter) when they can be in a home with a loving family.

I don't remember who said it but I also thought it was odd that Johnny just went off like that and thought maybe there was some kind of argument and the family feels guilty about it and that is their secret. Why would Johnny leave before having a family meal to go off, wouldn't he eat at the restaurant and then go on his own (maybe I'm just thinking of myself, cause I never turn down eating out when I have an offer, lol!)?! That has always struck me as strange.

Regarding the insider stuff: I don't get it all, but I do get that WS has their rules for a reason. It's just that it seems this is the first case I've know of where WS'ers are really the seeming force behind the organized and unorganized searches as it doesn't seem like CUE would have known about it without WS bringing it up. And, I truly believe the reason this case is even moving forward is because of the determination and perseverance of WS'er's (especially our dynamic trio!). I really, and truly feel, for the first time since I joined WS, that when this case is solved (and I feel, hope and pray that it is a happy resolution) it will be because of this group here. All IMHO...

ETA: Your posters are awesome Peek, and I would hate for that effort to go to waste. I think they are just the thing that could solve this, I really do.

That was me and we must think alike! Ha ha I would eat FIRST and then go to the FK ( but I'd stay away from the roller coaster!). Maybe he was going to eat at the amusement park. Saltwater Taffy makes a great dinner (don't ask me how i know this)

Thanks for everything else you wrote,too! I totally agree!

When I worked for MHMR several years ago, some of the clients did hold jobs and lived on their own, but they had family members who checked on them regularly and there were staff who did the same. Some of them were capable of doing many things for themselves, and a few of them were married couples.

People tend to forget that the developmentally disabled have the same rights as everyone else does. They are even allowed to vote, if they want to.

That's what I brought up back in the beginning when we first learned some things about LE and Johnny that I can't really mention because it came from Julie ,but their hands may have been tied that first night because of his age and his rights.

I agree with everything in you've said.

I really do think Peekerfoo's posters could be a big help.

I understand and appreciate the need for rules .That's what makes WS so unique ,but we've been working on this with the family for almost a month ,with several mods on the thread . It's just confusing .
Well,it is what it is. Moving on........

Prayers for Johnny and his family tonight .

I tip my hat to you and peeker, OLG, nonnie and a couple of others that right now I can't recall. Ya'll have done an excellent, heart-felt job of trying to find this man. Much appreciation!! And yes, "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished", usually by the ones you try to help and others that just don't care. Been there, done that.

I just received an e-mail from the Crime Victim's Ombudsman with SC Gov. Haley's office in response to the e-mail I sent them several days ago. She gave me her number and asked me to call her and I did. I got her voice mail, butI left a message explaining about Johnny and asking of it was possible to issue a Silver Alert in SC for him. I also gave her Julie's number and told her if she needed to know more, she could call her.

BBM
I think that is a great idea Peekerfoo. I probably over stepped my bounds in this case. I just thought I was doing the right thing...I do see why the TOS about "verified insider" are as such. I just did not think ahead when I should have.
That being said, I'M TIRED! I am going to back off somewhat, and I definitely don't think I am calling the family anymore. They are just too hard to read for me to fish through what the truth really is. I don't mean they would intentionally mislead. I guess we just have a communication problem. and I know I really have to know what is true and what is not true b4 I post. And as I've said b4, it's hard... Thank you all for the encouragement and kind words you have given me. I will continue to be hear for Johnny and the family, just not the way I have been b4.
I don't even know at this point what I think we should do next, what direction is right.??? Anyway, I may lurk for a while. Wonder if it's ok to have a glass or 2 of Cabernet this soon after the kidney work? :peace:peace y'all.

eta: yep, I didn't know to call the ARC the ARC :) We did call it the ARC (and it was years ago, too), but I didn't know if it would be clear what I was talking about without giving the full name.

If y'all can help me find out something, please let me know:

If someone were at 'the Hill', what free newspapers are available around that area? Maybe I can call some diners and things that appear to be around there, too.

I'm still working on an ad, and I want to try to place it where it's most likely to help.

I know locally we have little neighborhood 'newspapers' and also free jobs 'newspapers', and real estate publications. I don't think the real estate ones would be helpful, but the other kinds may be the way to go.

Writer, we have the "Auto Trader" here. Don't know if that is published anywhere else though.

Fairs would be awesome, I think! You know, he may be going to places like Animal Kingdom, as a matter of fact. If the people he is hanging out with have money, then they may enjoy Putt-Putt and the like themselves. If he's hanging out with homeless folks, that's probably out, but we don't know who is helping him.

I had druggie friends who really enjoyed Putt-Putt on Friday nights, for the record ;) They were high, and they went places they thought were fun while high. Krispy Kreme past midnight was also big!

There's also a Civitan group that says it focuses on those with special needs. I don't know quite what they do, but maybe they could help.
Writer, I don't know if your are really a writer, but if you're not, I'm guessing you should by. I bet you have some stories to tell...:what:

I agree with everything in you've said.

I really do think Peekerfoo's posters could be a big help.

I understand and appreciate the need for rules .That's what makes WS so unique ,but we've been working on this with the family for almost a month ,with several mods on the thread . It's just confusing .
Well,it is what it is. Moving on........

Prayers for Johnny and his family tonight .

I'm so sorry. The work everybody has been much appreciated by us on here.:rocker:

Just a wild guess, but maybe somebody with the family contacted the mods and complained??????????

Writer, we have the "Auto Trader" here. Don't know if that is published anywhere else though.

We have that here, too, in NJ so I'm guessing it's all along the East Coast, if not national...

BBM
I think that is a great idea Peekerfoo. I probably over stepped my bounds in this case. I just thought I was doing the right thing...I do see why the TOS about "verified insider" are as such. I just did not think ahead when I should have.
That being said, I'M TIRED! I am going to back off somewhat, and I definitely don't think I am calling the family anymore. They are just too hard to read for me to fish through what the truth really is. I don't mean they would intentionally mislead. I guess we just have a communication problem. and I know I really have to know what is true and what is not true b4 I post. And as I've said b4, it's hard... Thank you all for the encouragement and kind words you have given me. I will continue to be hear for Johnny and the family, just not the way I have been b4.
I don't even know at this point what I think we should do next, what direction is right.??? Anyway, I may lurk for a while. Wonder if it's ok to have a glass or 2 of Cabernet this soon after the kidney work? :peace:peace y'all.

Nonni Brenda I don't think you did anything that was wrong. You are probably the one person who qualifies as a verified insider because you knew the family before Johnny went missing and you're from Cartersville. You have been an absoulute angel in trying to get information that would lead us to him. We have to know certain things in order to know where to look. It makes the haystack smaller while trying to find the needle! I understand that you're tired and I don't blame you one bit if you don't want to be our verified insider, but I hope you'll give it some thought. I don't feel that you've over-stepped your bounds at all. I don't know how to proceed without any information from the family because there aren't any pressers or updates in the media as of late.

I plan to keep plugging away here and hanging flyers when I'm out and about. I can't keep dedicating entire days, but I'd be glad to do it when I'm visiting places with my friends and family. It would be an awesome thing if everyone on WS who lives anywhere in Georgia or SC did the same. Flyers don't cost much and we could cover a lot more area if everyone pitched in. People who live in GA and SC could also be helpful by taking a flyer to their local PD and explaining Johnny's speech impediment and other difficulties. If he is picked up for any reason and cannot communicate well it may be the one thing that will help. We cannot let ourselves feel helpless!

Just checking in (Augusta, GA area) .... I have given flyers about Johnny to the campus security here at our hospital/university and I have taken them to the local homeless shelter. I have also showed them to some of the liquor stores that are in the area of town that is an area Johnny would probably end up being in if he were in Augusta with homeless/transient people. (For those of you from Augusta, I went to Bill's Place - the liquor store on Broad Street down by the strip clubs where "The Snake Lady" used to dance. :blushing: ) I think it is a good idea to take one by the local law enforcement agencies. I will try to get that done this weekend.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maria_Falc
Back