SC SC - Justin Turner, 5, Moncks Corner, 5 March 1989

My deepest apologies. Multiple family emergencies have kept me from focusing on Justin's case. Here is the response from Wayne Dewitt.

Thanks so much for your e-mail and your interest in the unsolved Justin Turner case. We review the case file periodically to see if any new technology has been developed that could help break this tragic case. What we are facing, unfortunately, is the fact that there is very little physical evidence that had been preserved. However, that is not saying that the case can never be solved (just makes it more difficult). I will make it a point to review the case again very soon. As a concerned citizen, you have every right to ask questions and be afforded the opportunity to give insight into the case. I will be happy to meet with you and /or your friends in regards to the case if you wish.

Thanks again for your concern and interest.

H. Wayne DeWitt
Sheriff
Berkeley County

Also, I do have an address...kind of. LOL His home was on a small trail off the road and I think its a private drive with its own little name now. Let me see if I can link it or something. Thank you SCJustice!

ETA~ the name of the private drive with new owners is Little Acres Lane right off Horseshoe Road in Moncks Corner

Another update from me....I wrote Sheriff Dewitt again to see what can be done. Can a grand jury be called to look into a case again?
He was so open and forthcoming in his last email so I hope he can guide us a bit. I have 4 kids and little time to do much actual footwork but I can do a ton of deskwork from home. LOL

It is possible it was a parent/stepparent accidentally killing him. They just may have been smarter than the average parent or stepparent.

In March of 1989 I was not even in Kindergarten yet. So maybe someone else can help me out, were sex crimes against children publicized then? I can think of the few huge notorious cases which were in the late 80's to early 90's or earlier. The Atlanta Child Murders...

Was there enough information out there that it would occur to someone that a child who was sexually assaulted would appear to have NOT been killed by a woman or step mother? That could have been an afterthought, to disguise who the killer was and make it appear to be someone else.

A coke bottle is quite consistent with a female... though of course a male could have reasons for choosing that as well.

Would a family member have had a chance to put his body in the trailer? I'm picturing current cases where the parents are gone for the first couple of days... being questioned, never left alone, etc.

Where would he have been kept until his body was put in the trailer?

Putting him in the trailer seems like a really stupid move for anyone who lives on that property.... and a smart move for anyone who does not. To avoid being connected to the murder and plant the idea that it was a family member.

I cannot believe they didn't preserve all the evidence.... that drives me crazy. I wonder if that means there was DNA but it wasn't kept since they couldn't do anything with it at the time.

Me too Cubby, it's been 21 years and we've had so many advances in forensics I wonder if they would take another look at Justin's murder.

There are reports of evidence found peppered throughout those articles but they aren't specific details.

As I scanned last night (I didn't read all of the articles word for word because it was very late and there were so many) I did wonder why the push for the SM as the murderer?

Of course women can sexually assault children as often as men. It still makes me wonder what they have that suggests to them that she is the one that sexually assaulted him.

Before I hit that particular piece of evidence (if it is accurate) I thought to myself---well, we have the classic scenario of a step parent that either accidently or intentionally murdered a step-child but that one bit of information gave me pause.

I think that this particular murder needs to be reinvestigated (if possible) by LE. As everyone knows there is no statute of limitations on murder and if she is guilty and commited these acts against Justin she needs to be held accountable. If she didn't, then the person who did needs to be.

All JMHO.

One of the Google/Newspaper articles near the beginning of thread said that a deputy was going to check there again, because someone had looked in it the day before, but not very thoroughly. They didn't even know about the chamber, or whatever you'd call where he was was, on the first search.

It's said his body was notably colder than it should have been. Could he have been stuffed in a freezer somewhere prior to being found? 'Cause that kind of says to me it was most probably a close neighbour or family member. Though I agree with the poster above who said it'd be pretty stupid of a family member to hide his body so close to the house. If the SM was smart enough to fake sexual assault, I think she could've been smart enough to drive his body off the property a ways. I'd be looking at neighbours' households, or maybe itinerant workers like fruit pickers if any, someone staying at a place closeby, that sort of thing.

Is March really cold that time of year in that part of the country?

I have not seen any stories that say they had more children.I also read a story where someone else thought he was put in freezer and then moved after the camper was searched.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back