SC SC - Justin Turner, 5, Moncks Corner, 5 March 1989

Did Justin live with his dad and step mom full time? Do you know how custody was arranged? Did Dad and SM have any children together?

from all the stories I read,it looks like he did live with dad full-time.there is nothing on custody arrangements.I have not seen anything about them having other children.

We do know he never made it to the bus stop that morning and it was his father who found him!

Then he could have been killed in between the time he came home from school the previous day and the following morning. Lots of time to hide and dispose of evidence. I'm not saying the parents did it, but they police obviously thought they did.

I am assuming that if there was a freezer on the property it was checked....or a well...or if he was hidden outside and it was pretty cool in that area.

Maybe we can come up with some questions that might give some new ground for LE to cover.

We know they believe SM did it. So, was she seeing someone on the side? Did Justin witness that person's presence in the house?

Where was Dad-did he work and was he gone for the time that Justin was gone??

Does anyone know specifically where he was found in the camper? I know that the articles seem to intimate he was relocated to the camper after a search, but sometimes LE misses the body.

Good questions! Some more possibly useful questions:

Did LE check every freezer, every well, every corner of the neighbouring properties in the search prior to Justin's body being found? As I understand it, the camper was checked not very thoroughly, and Justin found in a lower compartment (a storage space hidden by paneling, maybe?)

Who lived nearby? Who was employed nearby? How well did these people know the Turner property? How thoroughly were these people questioned/investigated? Have any of these people, in the ensuing 22 years, been looked at for sex related crimes?

Paedophiles do stalk their victims. They will camp out and observe the family, for weeks sometimes. Thing is, they don't generally commit only the one crime and quit. The perp (if not a Turner) had to be local, or at least staying nearby for some time. And if the killer was a paedophile, there'd almost definitely be other molestation victims linked to them over the years.

Why wasn't Justin living with his mother? Custody generally goes to the mother - unless there's a problem. How was she handling that? Why is there so little mention of them in the articles? How concerned were they? Had she or her husband been in the area?

justinturner.jpg

http://www.journalscene.com/news/Who-killed-Justin-Turner-2011-03-01T11-25-13

For Elaine Pace, Justin Turner’s mother, March 5, 1989 marked the beginning of a nightmare that would haunt her for the rest of her life.

That was the day the body of her five-year-old son was found in a storage compartment inside a camper located just outside the mobile home where he lived with his father and stepmother.

“Elaine worked on trying to find out what happened to her son until the day she died,” said her husband, Russell Pace. “She was constantly on the phone with investigators seeing if they had any new information."

“She never let it go.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BCSO Sheriff Wayne DeWitt confirmed Pace’s assertion.

“The mother called every day,” said DeWitt, who was a chief deputy with the BCSO at the time of Turner’s murder.

"But we never heard one word from the father (Victor Turner).
Not once has he called over the past 22 years to inquire about his son’s murder or where we were in the investigation.
”

http://www.berkeleyind.com/news/Questions-swirl-around-1989-murder

OMG! Oh that you so much Ms. F! Thank you thank you!

I'm so excited to see him in the paper.

What a wonderful picture of him.

From Ms. F's link above:

“The investigation still considers Pamela Turner a suspect in Justin Turner’s murder and the father Victor Turner as someone who may know something about what happened,” DeWitt said

Anyone with information regarding the murder of Justin Turner is invited to call the Berkeley County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division at (843) 719-4412, or 719-4424. In Charleston, call (843) 723-3800, extension 4412 or 4424.

Interested parties can also call the Crime Stopper’s hotline to remain anonymous. That number is (843) 554-1111.

Please, please let somone come forward with info.

The compartment he was found in was under a seat and the cushions lift up for when the table is pulled down.We have one in our camper to.Its hard to explain.There is a story out with a neighbor girl who took the bus with him..she said he lived at the end of a dirt driveway,it sounded like it was a long one.But to me-it sounds like he never left the house that morning-I have not read,where the father was that morning,but he did find Justin's body 2 days later..HMM
LE says he was SA with a blunt object.I read somewhere a coke bottle..ughh-I hate the thought of that..I am wondering if they still have that bottle and could do DNA on it,I doubt it..but its a question I have.
Justin was only 5 yrs old..his pic in my avatar looks just like my older brother at the same age..I could not believe my eyes..I really want Justin to get the justice he so deserves!!

Does anyone know specifically where he was found in the camper? I know that the articles seem to intimate he was relocated to the camper after a search, but sometimes LE misses the body.

Since he was in the compartment, underneath the seat... it's totally possible they missed him.

Just like Destiny Norton was in the bin, so they missed her while "searching" his house.

It's the cold part that makes me wonder if he wasn't really there the whole time...

I read an article where it said LE thought he had been there the whole time, and that the searching officer had made only a 'brief' search of the camper - later he swears to have looked into the compartment but still did not see Justin's body -- SyraKelly, do you think that's possible? I mean, could you lift the cover and not see a boy in that small space?

Another has current LE openly criticising the prior investigation, saying they'll look at it again "without rumour" playing a part.

I have to say it's very hard for me believe that any woman who cared about the welfare of that little boy would step into the shower right before he makes the walk alone down a long dirt road to the bus stop. She couldn't wait 10 minutes, to see him safely to his bus? Jeez!

But does neglect (and the way his dad never called LE regarding the case... ) equal insta-guilt for murder? I'm curious as to what other evidence the coroner's jury saw that had them believe the SM's guiilt.

One article has the mother's husband Russell Page saying that at at least he and Elaine never changed their names and moved away, suggesting therefore they are better people, and so on.

But let's say the step-mother and father --didn't-- kill Justin. Imagine what they would have had to cope with, from the people around them. Folk can be vicious to suspected child-killers, and if they really were grieving that would be the most awful thing to deal with on top of it. I can't see that as any solid indication of guilt, I'm afraid. The SM was the main focus of investigation and the only arrest made -- I'm not sure I wouldn't do the same, if that was me marked out by LE and the public as the sole, perpetual suspect of Justin's murder.

That said, of course there's every chance she did it. The shower thing says a lot. But for several reasons, I'm cautious about automatically assuming her guilt.

Why wasn't Justin with his mother, who called the police every single day? He was only five -- that seems strange to me, that her son wasn't with her, so very young. Not accusing, but it appears to me there was a lot more going on with that family than is said in the papers.

Yes, I wonder why the father had the child with him as well. Mom's usually always retained custody 20 years ago.

It had to be somebody close to the family to be able to nab him so close to home, and to have access to that camper, without being noticed. I think if there was anyone that fit the profile, that was close to the family and had the opportunity, they would have brought them in and been more visible, imo.

At this point I am going with the Stepmom. And it might not have been a phony sexual assault. Women do sick stuff like that too. Maybe not as often, but it does happen. It could have been both of them involved. Maybe that is why Dad made sure to have custody.

The compartment he was found in was under a seat and the cushions lift up for when the table is pulled down.We have one in our camper to.Its hard to explain.There is a story out with a neighbor girl who took the bus with him..she said he lived at the end of a dirt driveway,it sounded like it was a long one.But to me-it sounds like he never left the house that morning-I have not read,where the father was that morning,but he did find Justin's body 2 days later..HMM

This is an interesting part of the case.

Unless you have a camper, you probably wouldn't know about this "hidey hole". I wonder if the camper was unlocked when LE searched it, or if the lock had been tampered with. I think the fact that he was found in this spot further puts the spotlight on the dad and step mom.

On one hand, how did the dad coincidentially stumble on to the body? Remember the JonBenet Ramsey case. After the area had been searched by LE, John (JonBenet's dad) walked to the correct spot in the basement and found her. Did the Dad know he was there and want him to be found?

Or...after two days, little Justin would probably exhibiting the "smell of death". Maybe the father caught a whiff and went to investigate himself.

After two days, Justin would probably be in full rigor, right? I wonder if the shape of the body indicated he was moved.

If they think his body was moved to the camper after death, then where in the world did the coke bottle idea come from? Did they find one with him? I didn't catch that specific in reading...
I hate to ask, but if he was abused the way I think they mean, would they be able to tell if it was with an inanimate object?? Or could it have been a male who sexually abused him.... ahem sorry..

Was it said what the father's work hours were that fateful morning, or the night before?

Why was the step mom in the shower?? Did she have to go to work soon? or a Lady Macbeth moment perhaps?

Were there no other children of the home? Did stepmom have any previous children, if so, any deceased?

Is this area known for deer hunting? Any chance the parents were friend with anyone that might have had a deer meat processing place with freezer ( or hog or cow for that matter)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back