SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many are in a mass shooting? At what number of deaths does it trigger rhe term, "Mass".

BtW, this does not give ma a warm fuzzy feeling

.[SUP][1][/SUP] The FBI defines mass murder as murdering four or more persons during an event with no "cooling-off period" between the murders. A mass murder typically occurs in a single location where one or more people kill several others.[SUP][2][/SUP][

How many are in a mass shooting? At what number of deaths does it trigger rhe term, "Mass".

"The FBI defines mass murder as murdering four or more persons during an event with no "cooling-off period" between the murders. A mass murder typically occurs in a single location where one or more people kill several others."

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Mass_murder

This entry distinguishes the type of event from spree and serial murders.

NBC News ‏@NBCNews [video=twitter;612097804715053056]https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/612097804715053056[/video]
Friend says Dylann Roof hinted at attack on school before he 'settled on' church http://nbcnews.to/1fn3RTY

That ^^^ is what I don't understand about this crime. His friend, Christian, is a black kid. When I went to Roof's FB I saw many blacks from his high school that he was still FB friends with. And one of them said in a tv interview that he had black friends and did not seem like a racist at all. He said 'sure he joked around and talked chit about us, but we were friends.' And DR said to the police that he almost did not follow through because 'everyone was so nice to him' in the church. That is so heartbreaking.

I don't understand how he became so racist and hateful even though he had always grown up with blacks and still to this day was friends with them. So confusing to me. What happened?

I don't understand how he became so racist and hateful even though he had always grown up with blacks and still to this day was friends with them. So confusing to me. What happened?

FWIW, two things --

First, I've known people who have told me, as a white man, some pretty awful and racist things, despite having black colleagues and acquaintances. They always make some sort of artificial distinction between the actual people they know and those they stereotype negatively.

Second, depending on the circumstances, some ideologies (like racism) can be radicalized fairly quickly. Like, you can't believe how fast John or Jane has started talking/thinking in that uncharacteristic way.

So, not a satisfying answer I'm sure, but it's complicated, and I respect your confusion.

I apologize if this has been asked or discussed already, but I'd be thrilled to receive some feedback.

I noticed this in a Daily Mail article about Amber Roof, the killer's sister:
These exclusive pictures show Amber Roof, 27, who called authorities on Wednesday according to FBI sources after she came to the devastating realization that her brother, Dylann, was suspected of shooting dead nine people in a South Carolina church.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Sunday-wedding-following-church-tragedy.html

I checked and her Wednesday call to police was reported by other news sources.

The photos of the killer entering the church and his car were not broadcast or published until 4-5AM on Thursday. At that point all the public knew was the killer being Caucasian, about 21 years old and what he was wearing.

With so little identifiable information, how did she know her brother was the killer and confident enough about it to call police on Wednesday?

I apologize if this has been asked or discussed already, but I'd be thrilled to receive some feedback.

I noticed this in a Daily Mail article about Amber Roof, the killer's sister:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Sunday-wedding-following-church-tragedy.html

I checked and her Wednesday call to police was reported by other news sources.

The photos of the killer entering the church and his car were not broadcast or published until 4-5AM on Thursday. At that point all the public knew was the killer being Caucasian, about 21 years old and what he was wearing.

With so little identifiable information, how did she know her brother was the killer and confident enough about it to call police on Wednesday?

One of the other friends of DR's, Christian, said that DR told him he was going to shoot up a college 'on Wednesday.' The friend thought DR was joking. But I wonder if DR told his sister that he was going to do something like that on Wednesday. And maybe he had been talking about the AME church or something because we know he had done his research. I think the sister instantly knew it might have been him.

I have been suspicious about the specific report of him being age 21 , from the first day. It made me think they already had an idea who it was but were not saying his name yet. And so I think the sister tipped them off right at the start of this dreadful tragedy.

ETA: Your post said the reports were 'about 21' ---the reports that I remember just said 'age 21.' I think we talked about it here on WS too

A Virginia man was taken to a mental hospital after he approached a predominantly African-American church on Thursday, shouting racial slurs and threatening to kill congregants.

"All I know is he had a weapon in his hand, banging on the glass, and calling us n*****s," the church's senior pastor, Bishop Oren Pullings, told the station.

Church member Lydia Jones said the man was shouting “You're taking over!" at those inside.

http://rt.com/usa/268375-virginia-b...nthem&utm_source=twitter#.VYTzwMGoWbQ.twitter

CH6lQbbUsAANz1w.jpg

#Charleston's Mayor tells @AndersonCooper why the shooter failed to start a race war: http://cnn.it/1J9nnzP

CH6vywmUkAA0byH.jpg

Anderson Cooper 360° ‏@AC360 25m25 minutes ago

Music and photos provide a small glimpse of the lives lost in the #CharlestonShooting. http://cnn.it/1SxHfOC

One of the other friends of DR's, Christian, said that DR told him he was going to shoot up a college 'on Wednesday.' The friend thought DR was joking. But I wonder if DR told his sister that he was going to do something like that on Wednesday. And maybe he had been talking about the AME church or something because we know he had done his research. I think the sister instantly knew it might have been him.

I have been suspicious about the specific report of him being age 21 , from the first day. It made me think they already had an idea who it was but were not saying his name yet. And so I think the sister tipped them off right at the start of this dreadful tragedy.

ETA: Your post said the reports were 'about 21' ---the reports that I remember just said 'age 21.' I think we talked about it here on WS too
Thanks for your thoughtful feedback; I appreciate it.

The reason I wrote "about 21" is that, although the reports on Wednesday night consistently said "21", I perceived it as "about 21" simply because it was the initial description and figured that when giving the description to LE, the witness could only guesstimate his age. After learning that he spent an hour of Bible study with his victims and he was new there, I assume during introductions someone asked him his age and he replied "21."

By constantly showcasing the killer, the killer's photo and revealing every possible detail about the killer's life (from conception to the murders), the media is inspiring the next mass shooter.

FWIW, two things --

First, I've known people who have told me, as a white man, some pretty awful and racist things, despite having black colleagues and acquaintances. They always make some sort of artificial distinction between the actual people they know and those they stereotype negatively.

Second, depending on the circumstances, some ideologies (like racism) can be radicalized fairly quickly. Like, you can't believe how fast John or Jane has started talking/thinking in that uncharacteristic way.

So, not a satisfying answer I'm sure, but it's complicated, and I respect your confusion.

Not confusing at all. Very well said.

A Virginia man was taken to a mental hospital after he approached a predominantly African-American church on Thursday, shouting racial slurs and threatening to kill congregants.

"All I know is he had a weapon in his hand, banging on the glass, and calling us n*****s," the church's senior pastor, Bishop Oren Pullings, told the station.

Church member Lydia Jones said the man was shouting “You're taking over!" at those inside.

http://rt.com/usa/268375-virginia-b...nthem&utm_source=twitter#.VYTzwMGoWbQ.twitter

Why would they just take him to a mental hospital? Why not to jail, as they would have with a black person caught verbally terrorizing innocent people? He'll probably be back on the streets in 72 hrs.

I'm so tired of LE not taking these dangerous racists seriously.

The very first reports clearly stated that he was 21, not about 21. It as hours and hours later they said about 21. I brought it up at the very beginning of the first thread. IMO - the police knew exactly who it was right away. I wouldn't be surprised if they were immediately called by a family member, friend, or if they had been tipped off. Clearly, he had been making threats for a long time.

Most of the definitions also required a period of time between the murders. This break-in-time was necessary to distinguish between a mass murder and a serial murder. Serial murder required a temporal separation between the different murders, which was described as: separate occasions, cooling-off period, and emotional cooling-off period.

Generally, mass murder was described as a number of murders (four or more) occurring during the same incident, with no distinctive time period between the murders. These events typically involved a single location, where the killer murdered a number of victims in an ongoing incident (e.g. the 1984 San Ysidro McDonalds incident in San Diego, California; the 1991 Luby’s Restaurant massacre in Killeen, Texas; and the 2007 Virginia Tech murders in Blacksburg, Virginia).
https://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder

The American flag flying at half-staff and the racist flag at full-staff, in North Carolina. :facepalm::mad:

RB1PBHC.jpg

The American flag flying at half-staff and the racist flag at full-staff, in North Carolina. :facepalm::mad:

RB1PBHC.jpg

IIRC Pictures posted must have a link.

Oh here is one.

Reading this article will help explain to you why. jmo idk

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...flag-isnt-at-half-mast-after-church-shooting/

“The flag is part of a Confederate War Memorial, and is not on a pulley system, so it cannot be lowered, only removed,” Raycom Media reporter Will Wilson tweeted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge