SC SC - Paul Baker, 3, Beaufort, 5 March 1987

I hate judges like this. Their bleeding heart attitudes cause more crimes that never should have happened. WS threads are full of them.

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/story/1025171.html

(snip)
Susan Baker was charged with assault and battery with intent to kill but pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature. She was sentenced to 10 years in prison but was released from jail after 80 days when the sentence was suspended for time served.
That decision by Judge Luke Brown disappointed the Sheriff's Office and the Child Abuse Prevention Association, which helped organize searches for Paul and has followed Susan Baker's court cases through the years.
"I don't have a qualm with the reduced charge," CAPA executive director Susan Cato told The Beaufort Gazette in June 1987. "I just think she should have served more time."
Brown, now retired and living in Ridgeland, told the Gazette on Thursday that he could not say, in retrospect, if he should have given Baker a stiffer sentence -- he could not recall details of the case or if the sentence was the result of a plea bargain.
"His explanation at the time was that (prosecutors) were trying to punish Susan Baker for the disappearance of Paul and that they didn't have a case," Cato said Thursday.

http://www.bcso.net/home.php
Beaufort County Sheriff, SC

http://www.bcso.net/coldcases.php

Beaufort County, SC
http://www.bcso.net/Cold_Cases/baker.htm
'snipped'
If you have any information concerning Baker's whereabouts, please contact:
Beaufort County Sheriff's Office
Lt. Bob Bromage
843-470-3200
All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.
NCIC Number:
M-238491459
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

http://www.bcgov.net/Sheriff/press_release.php?NewsID=749
'snipped'
Those seeking further information on the case of Paul Baker may submit a Freedom of Information Act request to the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office via internet (www.bcso.net), as the incident reports up to and including the arrests of Susan and James Baker in June 2006 are available for review and dissemination. Please reference incident report # 870000004528.
Further information may be released as it becomes available.

Anyone know how to submit a Freedon of Information Act request?

This SC public record regarding the charges against SB in 2000 shows a NY from OHRoad in Chipley as the Bond Entity for SB. Does this mean that NY had to actually put up some $ for SB at that time?

It does appear that NY is actually Tab's mother as well.

That's how I'm reading it. Is NY the lady who's trailer burnt down leaving her and Tab's family homeless? IMO, Tab had to have been well aware of what happened in SC and still she defended SB? Even if you take Paul out of the equation, how can you ignore Nina's horrific injuries and write them off as a technicality and crap? Unbelievable.

Musings: NY bought property in Chipley a couple of months after Paul went missing. NY put up some sort of bond for SB when she was arrested in 2000.

Something went amiss with the closeness of these two persons early in 2009 as NY's MySpace shows a Christmas 2008 greeting from SB (a friend) and SB is not a friend on NY's MySpace now.

RY is a friend on both NY's and SB's MySpace accounts and appears to be SB's brother.

There appears to be some very early SB connections to SC and would love to see a picture of a person named Susan Elizabeth Y. in the Spartanburg Herald-Journal on 7 June 1959 (can't seem to find this archived on the big ole internet yet).... do have a connection noted who does have this clipping.

Current thinking: Wonder if any boxes were transported from SC to an address on OHRoad (not 3995) around late May or early June 1987.

End of musings.

Sooooo, Susan Elizabeth Y is interesting. Would she be a 4 month old Susan B? Is NY her mother? Or am I completely confused and going down the wrong path?

ETA: a poster in Shannon's thread says that NY is Tabs gma.

It seems evident to me that the SCLE thinks James was in the know and maybe had a hand in his own son missing...Does the Florida LE really believe that he knew nothing of poor little Shannon being in a casket type box under his bed???

I wonder if they could test that box for any other DNA??? sounds like she used the box a lot.. knew what she was doing. baking soda and all. to absorb the cedar smell and smell of baby..

a 3ft long box is 36"... how tall was Paul???

Sooooo, Susan Elizabeth Y is interesting. Would she be a 4 month old Susan B? Is NY her mother? Or am I completely confused and going down the wrong path?

ETA: a poster in Shannon's thread says that NY is Tabs gma.

Yes this would be a pix of a 4 year old SEB. NY is 66 years old and just recently signed a POA (not to SEB). SEB is 50 years old, so NY would have been a very, very young mother.

Tab calls NY mom in NY's MySpace comments and the newspaper article on the fire says that NY is the woman Tab calls mom so NY is not Tab's mom.

http://www2.jcfloridan.com/jcf/news/local/article/fire_leaves_family_on_the_street/66364/

The family connections are murky and it would be really helpful if they get untangled.

IMO, close family members of SEB should be questioned as to what they know about Paul going missing. The positioning of SEB in South Carolina when born sort of indicates to me that there is probably family property in SC that needs to be investigated along with another property on OHRoad.

Still at the musings stage though.

I wonder if they could test that box for any other DNA??? sounds like she used the box a lot.. knew what she was doing. baking soda and all. to absorb the cedar smell and smell of baby..

a 3ft long box is 36"... how tall was Paul???

Uh .. Paul is listed as being 3 feet tall.

I hate judges like this. Their bleeding heart attitudes cause more crimes that never should have happened. WS threads are full of them.

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/story/1025171.html

(snip)
Susan Baker was charged with assault and battery with intent to kill but pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature. She was sentenced to 10 years in prison but was released from jail after 80 days when the sentence was suspended for time served.
That decision by Judge Luke Brown disappointed the Sheriff's Office and the Child Abuse Prevention Association, which helped organize searches for Paul and has followed Susan Baker's court cases through the years.
"I don't have a qualm with the reduced charge," CAPA executive director Susan Cato told The Beaufort Gazette in June 1987. "I just think she should have served more time."
Brown, now retired and living in Ridgeland, told the Gazette on Thursday that he could not say, in retrospect, if he should have given Baker a stiffer sentence -- he could not recall details of the case or if the sentence was the result of a plea bargain.
"His explanation at the time was that (prosecutors) were trying to punish Susan Baker for the disappearance of Paul and that they didn't have a case," Cato said Thursday.

Boy you said a mouthful!

80 days!
80 days just for the abuse is unacceptable much less a disappearance!:furious:

Back to basics to find out where SB has lived ... a few places .. click on thumbnail to see list:

Beaufort, SC
Laurel Bay, SC
Defuniak Springs, FL
Chipley, FL

If anyone has questions about Beaufort, SC, i used to live there so feel free to ask me.
The area and towns are actually a bunch of islands; did they live on base or near the base? Many Marine families live on base, others live in town or the surrounding towns. The biggest town is Beaufort (45 mins from Savannah, Ga).

Can anyone find out if they owned a boat while living in Beaufort? A lot of people have boats; Beaufort even has an annual Water Festival (everybody brings their boats for a party).
There is a lot of undeveloped land. It's a truly beautiful area, however there are a ton of places to hide a body easily.

http://www.blufftontoday.com/node/31301

"Before she was a stepmother to Nina and Paul, Susan Baker was their babysitter.
James Baker was a drill instructor at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island.
His then-wife, Lynda, needed someone to look after their young children while she worked at a part-time job.
Susan lived nearby and seemed a good choice.
That was before Lynda Solarzano discovered an affair between the babysitter, Susan, and her then-husband, James -- an affair which dissolved their marriage."

(sorry my apologies if this article has been posted already)

Before SB was hired as the babysitter, she lived nearby. Where did she live "nearby"?
Did she alone or with her relatives?
I would think SB would stick with her own "comfort zones".

I'm very happy that Beaufort is looking into Paul's case.
I bet SB was thinking she got away with it all those years. Thank God baby Shannon is alive, and now Paul has gotten the attention he deserves! Everything happens for a reason!

I just sent an email to Susan Cato at Capa, asking if she can share what she knows about the case with us. She was involved in searches from the beginning.

http://capabeaufort.org/

Good idea Susie!!! do we know SB's maiden name? she had parents, I think.
Paul could be buried in Chipley, 6 acres is a lot of land. 2 strollers were found in the Baker trash. 2? Im sure Tox screen and DNA will play an important part in the case. Unless they take a plea, the trial should be interesting. Chipley people that I see and chat with in stores etc, in general seem so disassociated with the whole thing. so odd. NB is not listed as an LPN in SC. I dont know if I can get into past records. If SB's maiden name can not be listed here, would someone msg me and tell me? I would like to know what people she went to school with. I doublt all of them do not remember her. I went over to Ansestory.com, and they charge money now.

The best bet is to have a newspaper file the FOIA request.

Good idea Susie!!! do we know SB's maiden name? she had parents, I think.
Paul could be buried in Chipley, 6 acres is a lot of land. 2 strollers were found in the Baker trash. 2? Im sure Tox screen and DNA will play an important part in the case. Unless they take a plea, the trial should be interesting. Chipley people that I see and chat with in stores etc, in general seem so disassociated with the whole thing. so odd. NB is not listed as an LPN in SC. I dont know if I can get into past records. If SB's maiden name can not be listed here, would someone msg me and tell me? I would like to know what people she went to school with. I doublt all of them do not remember her. I went over to Ansestory.com, and they charge money now.

Welcome to the hunt .... have just about driven myself crazy looking for maiden name. I do believe although not sure that her last name was Yeomans. Basing this on a post by SB in her MS blog that she has a brother Richard and Richard has a post on his MS blog that his mother's house burnt down ... so that would be NY's house. Now this is a convoluted way to get to the maiden name but I cannot and will not pay money for information (Ancestry).
Richard did attend high school from 1978 - 1979 at Graceville High School.

This is the progress made today - so haven't checked into where Graceville High School is yet - possibly South Carolina?

Eleph - help? Can sure use it as this family's connections are what I'd call murky at best.

ETA: Just seen your comment about parents for SB - I am not so sure - may have been hatched/alien/something along that line.

http://fosterfollynews.com/news/_obituaries.php

Hi, I am new to the site, but have been following several cases on here for a few weeks now. Above is a link to a page with obituaries (obviously). On my screen, if I scroll down about 75% of the way, there's an obit on Wednesday, April 1st, 2009 in which SB is mentioned as the daughter. The deceased's last name is also a name I've seen referenced as being one of her aliases, so it seems a good chance that it may be a maiden name. Hope this is helpful & that I'm not way out of line on this!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back