SC - Paul Murdaugh,22 & Mom Margaret,52, 7 June 2021 *Media, Maps, Timeline-NO DISCUSSION*

WATCH LIVE: Alex Murdaugh Financial Crimes — SC v. Alex Murdaugh — Sentencing​

Convicted family killer and disgraced attorney Alex Murdaugh will be sentenced Tuesday for the millions-of-dollars scheme he plotted to steal from 18 of his former clients. Murdaugh was originally charged with 101 financial crimes, but under a plea deal, the charges were dropped down to 22 crimes. It’s estimated that Murdaugh stole more than $8 million from clients — many who are disabled. A jury found Murdaugh guilty of murdering his wife, Maggie, and son, Paul, earlier this year.

Where is TS?

It doesn’t get any better than this photograph. Such worthy clients are the Satterfields. The greatest reward for me as an attorney is to do a good job for people who have been bullied and victimized by bad people. No one qualifies more than Alex Murdaugh as a bad and evil person. I know my clients forgive Alex because they are God-fearing and decent people. I am more of an Old Testament guy And I cannot forgive that . When he went on his filibuster this afternoon, and he was speaking about how the media and people on the Internet have told lies about him I got up and walked out. EB

View attachment 464430

AM must serve 85% of the sentence imposed by Judge Newman

11/28/23

Jinks went to Murdaugh after incurring hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills for a neck injury he got when someone rear-ended his car. Jinks paid the bills in advance, having been assured by Murdaugh that he would obtain a settlement to pay him back. Murdaugh got the money, but kept it himself, financially ruining his friend.

“The money you stole from me, I would have gave it to you,” Jinks said. “Why bro? Why?”

State prosecutors and defense lawyers negotiated the 27-year prison sentence for Murdaugh, who is already serving a life term without parole after a jury found him guilty of killing his wife, Maggie, with a rifle, and younger son, Paul, with a shotgun in June 2021. Judge Clifton Newman, who also presided over the murder trial, accepted it.

[..]

The sentence for Murdaugh’s financial crimes is a kind of insurance policy to prevent his release if his murder conviction is overturned. Under South Carolina law, Murdaugh will have to serve almost 23 years of the sentence, even if he is a model prisoner. He would be 76 before he could be released. Murdaugh had to give up his rights to appeal as part of the deal.

Newman said Tuesday that Murdaugh had the emptiest soul of anyone he has seen in his 23 years on the bench, with the exception of a man who was sentenced to death for killing an off-duty police officer and burning his body.

“The question was asked: What kind of animal are you?” Newman said, referring to additional comments Jinks made during his testimony. “You are an enigmatic person. I don’t think you understand yourself.”

11/28/23

“You lied, you cheated, you stole, you betrayed me and my family and everybody else. And you did it at the cost of my mom’s death,” Tony Satterfield, Gloria’s son, told Murdaugh in court Tuesday.

“I want you to know that I forgive you. I will pray for you every day that God gets ahold of your heart” he said. “My heart is with you, my prayers are with you, and I just wish the best for you.”

Another emotional statement was given by Jordan Jinks, a childhood friend of Murdaugh’s who prosecutors said was defrauded of $150,000 by the former attorney after he was in a car accident. Jinks approached the microphone with tears already in his eyes, recounting memories the two had shared.

“The money you stole from me, you could have asked me for it and I would have gave it to you,” Jinks said. “That’s how I felt about you and your family.”

Jinks originally didn’t believe that Murdaugh had killed his wife and son, he said Tuesday. “But after sitting here today and hearing some of the devious things you did to people, these victims here, that changed my mind, bro.”

Ahead of sentencing, Murdaugh addressed the court in a lengthy statement, apologizing to his victims and saying, despite his actions, he cared for each of them.

11/28/23

Under the plea agreement, Murdaugh will be guaranteed to serve at least 85% -- more than 22 years -- of the sentence. Waters called it a "practical life sentence."

Judge Clifton Newman accepted Murdaugh's guilty plea and the plea agreement during Tuesday's hearing.

Murdaugh, who is serving two life sentences without parole for the murders of his wife and son, was initially charged with more than 100 state counts related to financial crimes involving 18 victims.

Newman said it was a "stern sentence" in searing remarks during Tuesday's hearing.

"It's so disappointing to see you again in this setting," Newman, who presided over the murder trial, said, adding that he takes "no joy at all in imposing this sentence."

Newman described Murdaugh as being "empty" but hoped that "something will emerge within your soul."

Alex Murdaugh Sentencing: The victims of Alex Murdaugh's financial crimes had the chance to speak directly to Alex today in the courtroom during his sentencing hearing. Murdaugh has pleaded guilty to charges including money laundering and forgery, white collar crimes that will carry an unprecedented sentence of 27 years.Murdaugh spoke for 50 minutes in his orange prison jumpsuit, apologizing for the hurt he caused the victims and reiterating that he didn't hurt Paul or Maggie.

LIVE: Alex Murdaugh Financial Crimes Sentencing​

i realize that AM’s sentence today is about the only thing the state could do in terms of getting justice for the victims of his financial crimes. BUT… I can’t help feeling like he’s getting no punishment at all. He’s already serving two life sentences for murder and even if he gets a new trial or gets the conviction reviewed on an appeal I think he would be convicted again for those murders and still end up in prison for the rest of his life. So in reality there is no punishment for the state financial crimes and none on the federal convictions either. When you get down to it, there is no punishment for one of the two murders either as one life sentence is all that can be served.

@TheEricBland

We would like to thank Attorney General Alan Wilson and our super hero and excellent public servant Creighton Waters for their dogged pursuit of justice for all of Alex’s crimes. It was their tireless efforts that ultimately produced an excellent negotiated plea of 27 years for the financial crimes. Alex will serve 85% of this time without the opportunity of parole. Job well done gentlemen. EB

10:08 AM · Nov 29, 2023

@TheEricBland

It is more likely than not that Alex Murdaugh will live out the remainder of his life behind bars and not get a fresh breath of free air again. With these convictions, the public will be made safe from Alex Murdaugh and those like him who would abuse their positions of trust. Ronnie and I committed to our victim clients to see this through to the end and we have. It was our career honor to be involved in these cases and to help restore some level of trust in our system and our profession. We said that we would not stop until Alex was served a “full cup of justice” just like every other criminal. Yesterday, that cup was full and served hot to Alex. EB

10:09 AM · Nov 29, 2023

https://twitter.com/MPowersNorrell

Re-listened to #AlexMurdaugh’s speech tonight. I wanted to understand why I felt the way I did about it. He spent very little time addressing his actual victims and focused instead on how he’s sorry for embarrassing his family, showing his main concern is how he’s perceived. 1/

When he did address the victims, other than JJ, whose respect he seemed to believe he could keep, he addressed them in vague, broad brush statements, once even addressing them as a group he called “you people.” And his main point to them was that he “still cares about” them. 2/

He said several times that he “cares deeply about every one” of them as if that’s what they wanted more than an acknowledgement that he betrayed their trust. As if he was giving them a gift with his continued affection, because that has great value. It was bizarre. 3/

At the end, he addressed them again and said “I appreciate you looking at me when I’m talking to you.” It felt superior. The way he spoke to the actual victims was very different and much more distant from the way he spoke to friends and family, most of whom weren’t there. 4/

AND they weren’t the victims of the crimes for which he’d be sentenced. Still he spent the majority of his nearly 50min speech addressing the harm he’d caused to the way people in his realm are perceived by others, a clue into the way he regards those in vs out of his circle. 5/

More than the words, the *way* he said them was telling. He spoke in short clipped phrases ending in up-speak, sometimes punctuating them with a lip smack, and then an uncomfortable silence. It felt manipulative and melodramatic, essentially saying “I’m in control of the time” 6/

He used silence between phrases to try to create anticipation of what he’d say next. And he clearly enjoyed having an audience. He’d surely wanted an audience for his righteous indignation at how his family has been treated by the media. His tone re that was preachy. 7/

This was his chance to address the victims of his financial crimes, but he spent much of it in indignant preachy admonition of the public and media for the “unfair speculation” about matters that were not before the court today. It felt disrespectful to the real victims. 8/

He spoke as if he was wearing a grey tweed suit and not an orange jumpsuit. The smarmy charm that worked well for him in the courtroom when he wore the former hits different in the latter. 9/

He concluded his lengthy speech with a bold effort to reaffirm his power, saying, “I’m going to help as many people as I can while I’m incarcerated.” It smacked of the ubiquitous “lemme know if there’s anything I can do for you” statement heard often in political circles. 10/

Then he started thanking people. After giving good reviews to his rehab facility, he turned to Judge Newman, thanking him and essentially telling him he’d done a good job - accustomed to believing that people seek his approval. 11/

He ended his nearly 50 min speech by increasing his volume and saying to everyone and no one in particular, “Thank you so much!” - the way people do when they end an awards speech and expect applause to follow. 12/

And I know this is harsh but I imagine if I were a victim of his financial crimes I would be so angry today that even in his acknowledgement of the crime and betrayal, he was *still* trying to manipulate and control the narrative. 13/

I also think if Alex read this, he wouldn’t understand it. He’d say, “but I said I was sorry!” I believe he’s manipulative. I also believe he sincerely doesn’t know any other way to relate to people. 14/

@MPowersNorrell

I think he’s “complicated” in that it’s hard for a lot of us to understand how his mind works. I really think he’s not capable of some emotions, but he can’t know what he’s never experienced. And he’s taught himself to perform them. He really used to come off as very charming.

5:14 PM · Nov 29, 2023

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back