Deceased/Not Found SD - Catherine Tornquist, 56, Hot Springs, 5 Oct 2011 *M. Tornquist guilty*

Now this is something I had not read before. Is it new info or did I just miss it? I always thought Lytle was just a 'friend'.

bbm

Interesting - I wonder, does that mean Lytle knew Catherine's children/family well?

I had not previously watched the video as I had thought there wouldn't be anything more than was in the written article. However, there a little more.

http://www.kotatv.com/story/1608036...ce-together-missing-hot-springs-woman-mystery

Lytle refused to talk to the reporters on camera and said that his story remains the 'same'. The daughter did talk on camera and said that she thinks that Lytle believes his story is true - but the way she says it, I think she may not believe his version.

I'm back on the fence now. There are two people at the top of my list here.

I had not previously watched the video as I had thought there wouldn't be anything more than was in the written article. However, this a bit more.

http://www.kotatv.com/story/1608036...ce-together-missing-hot-springs-woman-mystery

Lytle refused to talk to the reporters on camera and said that his story remains the 'same'. The daughter did talk on camera and said that she thinks that Lytle believes his story is true - but the way she says it, I think she may not believe his version.

I'm back on the fence now. There are two people at the top of my list here.

bbm

Perhaps there is more than one person involved....???

What concerns me about Lytle:

- last person known to have seen her
- let himself in her trailer to 'look for her'
- reported her missing at 2:45am (why the middle of the night when she had been missing a couple of days already?)

In a comment posted at the bottom of an article, Lyle mentions that Catherine was going to purchase the RV with cash and that only 3 people knew about that. He also said something about the whole story not being told. I think a few others have said that, but maybe pointing the finger at him...?

Hmm. There are so many angles here.

Where are you, Catherine?

I haven't received a response from the SD DCI yet... Hopefully after the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. I'm assuming it's a website error.

I wonder if any polygraphs were given? I really don't trust those 100%, but they can carve a path for investigators. I hate when police/investigators won't release information to the families, but at the same time, I can understand why.

I feel so sad for the family, especially the daughter. Catherine seems like a ray of sunshine, much like my cousin who lives in Spearfish in the Black Hills. The Black Hills are an area of free-spirit, go-with-the-flow. That being said, after hearing the daughter, I don't believe she left on her own.

Lytle is at the top of my list too. Missing people are rare in that part of the country... It's not something that happens everyday. A lot things point to him. And, belimom, that's interesting about the time he reported her missing.

I'll let you all know if I get a response from DCI about the flyer.

The towns out here are very clan-ish, everybody is related in some way, and they keep things close to the vest in case, god forbid, someone they are related to could be implicated. The hwy from Hot Springs to Rapid City is pretty desolate and it has been in the low 30s at night. Hot Springs is where the war veterans go from all around here to the VA hospital, so the hwy is a thorofare for them.
I grew up in "East River" South Dakota, and didn't realize that the towns in the Hills had that "clan-ish" vibe with them. I know exactly what you're talking about though... many of the rural towns are like that. There's a prominent, well-known family, and they basically control everything... For some reason, I thought the Black Hills would be exempt, since it's a very desirable place to live for a lot of people out-of-state... And has a high number of people moving in to the area, for retirement or other reasons. That, and I've always associated the Black Hills with free-spirited, go-with-the-flow, laid-back, easy-going, etc culture. It's definitely not a bad thing at all... In fact, I envy it, and would LOVE to someday call the BH my home.

My gut feeling is that some sort of cover-up isn't the case (or however you want to call it). And the SD DCI is investigating too... They won't care about any local, prominent, well-known family... if that may be the case. Often times, it comes down to small-town LE departments that are not familiar with this kind of case. Charley Project has 10 missing people from SD (It's the least of any state, besides Rhode Island).

Was Catherine born and raised in the area? It might have been stated, but I can't remember.

Hello Everyone,
I'm Cath's sister. It appears that someone misinterpreted some comments that I made on the net. I have not spoke in cryptic language as some may have thought. I merely stated that Cath's case is under private investigation (and very much active I might add) and that I could not make comments at this time. I have only posted pictures or small comments about my Sister on the net to attract others who may have had any information about her disappearance.
Some of the basic information in this thread is incorrect as well, thus some of the speculation in turn is leading to incorrect possible conclusions. My hand and arm are currently in a cast so typing is difficult for me to explain.
Also, Cath is a very private person which is why you won't see much activity on the internet from us, beside the fact that it is critical for her case to be excluded from the media at this time.
One thing I can clarify is that how she appears is truly who she is, kind, gentle, and naturally genuine.
Her family and friends miss our beloved Catherine terribly. Thank you for all of your concern for her, it is nice to hear it, She is truly loved deeply by me.

Hello Everyone,
I'm Cath's sister. It appears that someone misinterpreted some comments that I made on the net. I have not spoke in cryptic language as some may have thought. I merely stated that Cath's case is under private investigation (and very much active I might add) and that I could not make comments at this time. I have only posted pictures or small comments about my Sister on the net to attract others who may have had any information about her disappearance.
Some of the basic information in this thread is incorrect as well, thus some of the speculation in turn is leading to incorrect possible conclusions. My hand and arm are currently in a cast so typing is difficult for me to explain.
Also, Cath is a very private person which is why you won't see much activity on the internet from us, beside the fact that it is critical for her case to be excluded from the media at this time.
One thing I can clarify is that how she appears is truly who she is, kind, gentle, and naturally genuine.
Her family and friends miss our beloved Catherine terribly. Thank you for all of your concern for her, it is nice to hear it, She is truly loved deeply by me.

Thank you for joining us, slyon...

I was the one who posted that your comment seemed 'cryptic' and I apologize it it were misconstrued by me.

I have been drawn to this case b/c I can tell that Catherine is a genuinely peaceful and loving person. You can see it in her eyes. And I don't feel that her case is getting the attention it deserves.

I can only imagine what you and other family/friends are going through. :hug:

Hello Everyone,

Slyon, I'm a very private person as well. I know how that is... but why is it critical that the case be kept out of the media? Why hinder the possibilities that someone might know something? If she did, in fact, go to seek a new life, please let us know. We will just be happy that she is accounted for, and we won't further pry into it.

Thank you for joining us, slyon...

I was the one who posted that your comment seemed 'cryptic' and I apologize it it were misconstrued by me.

I have been drawn to this case b/c I can tell that Catherine is a genuinely peaceful and loving person. You can see it in her eyes. And I don't feel that her case is getting the attention it deserves.

I can only imagine what you and other family/friends are going through. :hug:

Thank you so much for your concern Belimom.
Her case is receiving quite a bit of attention actually, it's just simply a private investigation, I know for some whom can't see the activity, that it might foster some doubt of what is actually being done. There are timing issues involved as well. such as one project cannot be completed until another project is completed; it is a kind of sequence in motion sort of thing.One thing I know for sure is that her family is staying on top of the investigation, and we are constantly talking about Catherine's case with the private investigators as well as with each other. However, you may see some public activity if you stay alert, some stuff could be noticeable that they are doing, of which is not necessarily needing to be private for that particular task.
I hope that this helps in everyone's understanding. As Cath's family, we are allowed to call and ask about her case at anytime, and we have been taking full advantage of that courtesy, we talk to the chief investigator concerning every detail on a regular basis, including all rumors that have been flying around town and on the internet.I have also received a lot of emails from others whom are trying to help solve her case (case may seem to be an insensitive way to reference Cath's situation, but it is the most neutral term that I can think of in order to protect other people's sensitivity to the subject matter).

Catherine's case is by no means allowed to stand stalemate, there are in fact quite a few people from her town and her family that have been helping with the investigation and that have stepped up to the plate to help in her case, with information as well as their time and support. And hopefully this group here in Webslueth will do the same and not forget about her until her case is resolved. Thanks again for all of your time spent on Cath, it is not going unnoticed and is appreciated.
If anyone has even the smallest of detail concerning Catherine, you are more than welcome to contact me or the private investigators that are listed on the websites about Catherine,
Please bear with me, I will try to answer as much as I can, I am still typing with one hand due to a resin cast on my other wrist, arm, and hand, so I have to take some breaks in between typing.

take care everyone,

slyon

Slyon, thanks for responding. I know it must be difficult to read all kinds of things on the internet - much of which is probably incorrect and/or rumors. I guess since we don't have access to all the info that the family and LE has (and we shouldn't, especially if it will hinder the investigation), we speculate a lot with whatever tidbits we find.

Glad to know that the case is still going strong.

I'm praying that they find Catherine - and soon. (And hope your arm gets better!)

Slyon, I'm a very private person as well. I know how that is... but why is it critical that the case be kept out of the media? Why hinder the possibilities that someone might know something? If she did, in fact, go to seek a new life, please let us know. We will just be happy that she is accounted for, and we won't further pry into it.

Hi M86,
Private Investigations can be frustrating for sure. I do not wish to go in to detail about my own Sister;s case at this time for obvious reasons; however you could talk to the SD police department yourself and ask them, I am sure they would be helpful in helping you understand the differences between public and private investigations, and the many reasons that a case becomes private, I think that would be beneficial for you.

Keep in mind that my Sister's disappearance itself, was never hidden from the media so that any whom had information about her case could step forward and tell the investigators what they know. It is just the details that were/are hidden.

As far as Catherine seeking a new life, you being private yourself should understand that if that was the case, it would be kept hidden from the public eye, even if for no reason other than, she did not want her personal life to be broadcasted on the internet, and not because of any particular reason. Her personal life is personal as far as I am concerned, as I myself am very private, so much so, that only a few in Hot Springs even knew that I was her Sister, so I have chosen to decline my thoughts on this, hopefully you can understand.

As far as prying goes, I am not offended by any prying, curiosity is a natural human condition, go ahead and ask all that you want, I just may not wish to share some things and hopefully you can understand why.

I know it is hard at first glance to relate to the hidden aspect of this case, but if you try to view it from a broader perspective, things might make more sense in the long run.

Some friends and family, and others that just care in general may not be handling the lack of knowing information very well either, but in time we will know more, rest assured the case is moving forward, and our family is right on top of it, Catherine has not been forgotten by any means, I for one, am being very tenacious and relentless in my pursuit for her cause, I am only one year younger than her, she is my best friend and I love her dearly.

take care,
slyon

Until I saw this case listed on Websleuth today I had no idea that we even had a missing person here in SD and I thought I stayed on top of the news here. I now live in Sioux Falls, but for a number of years I lived in Rapid City and know the Hot Springs area well. My heart and prayers go out to the family and friends of Catherine and I hope she is brought home safe and sound soon. If it hasn't be done yet, one might consider putting up fliers at some of the truck stops so if the truckers see anything unusual they will know who to call. If there is anything I can do to help from Sioux Falls let me know. I'll talk to my son who is a correctional officer here and see if he has seen any fliers up around here and if not then we'll see what we can do about that for you if you'd like. My son helped find the last person that went missing here.

Hi M86,
Private Investigations can be frustrating for sure. I do not wish to go in to detail about my own Sister;s case at this time for obvious reasons; however you could talk to the SD police department yourself and ask them, I am sure they would be helpful in helping you understand the differences between public and private investigations, and the many reasons that a case becomes private, I think that would be beneficial for you.

Keep in mind that my Sister's disappearance itself, was never hidden from the media so that any whom had information about her case could step forward and tell the investigators what they know. It is just the details that were/are hidden.

As far as Catherine seeking a new life, you being private yourself should understand that if that was the case, it would be kept hidden from the public eye, even if for no reason other than, she did not want her personal life to be broadcasted on the internet, and not because of any particular reason. Her personal life is personal as far as I am concerned, as I myself am very private, so much so, that only a few in Hot Springs even knew that I was her Sister, so I have chosen to decline my thoughts on this, hopefully you can understand.

As far as prying goes, I am not offended by any prying, curiosity is a natural human condition, go ahead and ask all that you want, I just may not wish to share some things and hopefully you can understand why.

I know it is hard at first glance to relate to the hidden aspect of this case, but if you try to view it from a broader perspective, things might make more sense in the long run.

Some friends and family, and others that just care in general may not be handling the lack of knowing information very well either, but in time we will know more, rest assured the case is moving forward, and our family is right on top of it, Catherine has not been forgotten by any means, I for one, am being very tenacious and relentless in my pursuit for her cause, I am only one year younger than her, she is my best friend and I love her dearly.

take care,
slyon

Thank you, slyon. For a few reasons, Catherine going missing hits a few points with me. Being on WebSleuths, you can get attached to certain cases. For me, it's that Catherine reminds me so much of my cousin in Spearfish... and living in SD for 24 years, loving the Black Hills. But being the private person I am, I fully understand... I really do.

I have one request: Slyon, if you talk to the SD DCI, and think that Catherine is not where she should be, please let them know that their online flyer is not loading (I've used multiple web browsers trying to open it), and I emailed them about it, and haven't received any response. I just hope that Catherine is alive, well, healthy, and happy...

And I want to apologize if I, or anyone here, have stepped too far. Like you said, it is human nature to become concerned, especially when key points hit home. If there is anything I can do with Catherine's disappearance, please let me know.

I grew up in "East River" South Dakota, and didn't realize that the towns in the Hills had that "clan-ish" vibe with them. I know exactly what you're talking about though... many of the rural towns are like that. There's a prominent, well-known family, and they basically control everything... For some reason, I thought the Black Hills would be exempt, since it's a very desirable place to live for a lot of people out-of-state... And has a high number of people moving in to the area, for retirement or other reasons. That, and I've always associated the Black Hills with free-spirited, go-with-the-flow, laid-back, easy-going, etc culture. It's definitely not a bad thing at all... In fact, I envy it, and would LOVE to someday call the BH my home.

My gut feeling is that some sort of cover-up isn't the case (or however you want to call it). And the SD DCI is investigating too... They won't care about any local, prominent, well-known family... if that may be the case. Often times, it comes down to small-town LE departments that are not familiar with this kind of case. Charley Project has 10 missing people from SD (It's the least of any state, besides Rhode Island).

Was Catherine born and raised in the area? It might have been stated, but I can't remember.

BBM We live in the Hills and like that we have 4 legged critters for neighbors more than 2 legged. It is clannish.

Hi Slyon, we live north of Hot Springs; every time I am out between here and Rapid and I see a woman with long hair, I take a second look.

I'm sorry you are going through this and I wish the best for you and your family.

Thank you, slyon. For a few reasons, Catherine going missing hits a few points with me. Being on WebSleuths, you can get attached to certain cases. For me, it's that Catherine reminds me so much of my cousin in Spearfish... and living in SD for 24 years, loving the Black Hills. But being the private person I am, I fully understand... I really do.

I have one request: Slyon, if you talk to the SD DCI, and think that Catherine is not where she should be, please let them know that their online flyer is not loading (I've used multiple web browsers trying to open it), and I emailed them about it, and haven't received any response. I just hope that Catherine is alive, well, healthy, and happy...

And I want to apologize if I, or anyone here, have stepped too far. Like you said, it is human nature to become concerned, especially when key points hit home. If there is anything I can do with Catherine's disappearance, please let me know.

Not sure what you meant when you said; "think that Catherine is not where she should be" and could you provide the link to where you are talking about the SD DCI?

Not sure what you are apologizing for either, I did not find anyone's comments in this thread to be "stepping too far" as you stated your concern, nor even anything close to being inappropriate, at least from my stand point.
I did not post to this thread to throw it's motion off and derail it, nor would I want to influence anyone's direction that they wanted to take this thread, I simply added my two cents into the mix..Just thought to mention in case your reaction was due to my posting. I say what I mean, and you truly do not need to over analyze any unspoken emotions in what I have posted. I also don't feel that just because it is my Sister that we are talking about, doesn't mean that I have become some kind of imaginary sovereign over this post. That would be a logical fallacy I'm simply another poster just like you..

Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing in America. It's all good, relax and just be yourself and post your thoughts freely, that is simply what I'm doing.

Is there any new developments in this case? There isn't a lot to go on and I want to see Catherine brought home safe and sound. My heart aches for this family. Thoughts and prayers are with you all. If there is anything I can do let me know. I'm willing and able.

Slyon, I do have some questions. If you can't answer b/c it might hinder the investigation, then that's fine.

Who was supposed to go with Catherine to get the RV? I've seen both her son and Lytle mentioned.

Did someone actually see her the morning of 10/5 or not? Most reports say she was last seen by Lytle the evening before, but then a few reports (and her daughter) have said she was seen early the next morning. I believe her daughter has said that the son saw her.

Those are two really confusing points for me. If you can clarify, that would be great.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon
Back