Deceased/Not Found SD - Catherine Tornquist, 56, Hot Springs, 5 Oct 2011 *M. Tornquist guilty*

Your welcome M86, and thanks, I'm doing okay, not great, this is very difficult,
no part of being a family member of a missing person is easy.

And just know that just because a case is private doesn't mean that the public cannot help the case. I am trying desperately to find a South Dakota platform on the net where I can talk to the public and help them understand how they can help her case. Unfortunately, I have talked to hundreds of people from that area but they don't seem to understand the message that I am trying to convey, even though it is extremely simple. The problem is if they don't have much sleuthing experience, they will not know what to look for when talking to others about a missing person.
But I know that a complete stranger, whom would know absolutely nothing about my Sister, could walk around her town and ask about her and could learn a lot about her in a fairly short length of time. I know this because I have had people do just that.
Then, once those people know about her, they can then ask about events, and there are plenty of events in any human's life. Those events, and that knowledge of her can lead to "indicators" of what has happened. How else do you think private investigators do it, they do it the same way that I just described, they start with nothing, and search until they have enough information to piece the puzzle pieces together.

The problem comes in when people are unaware that they are looking at the facts from a biased point of view.
Others have told me what they think has happened or whom they think is responsible by basing their hunches on those very prejudices that they don't seem to notice.
Example; I think John Doe didn't do anything to Jane Doe because Jane liked that person, well that is two assumptions, one, that Jane really liked that person, and two that Jane had good judgment of whom she was friends with. Or I know John Doe and he would never do that, well if anyone had done a background check on John Doe they would have never said that. Or, John Doe had to have been the reason that Jane is missing because he has a criminal background and knew her well, but some people with criminal backgrounds are rehabilitated, and I know family members that don't even know their own family members, so how do you know that he knew her well.
Those are just a few examples of how people process unknown crimes in their minds, it is hard for them to see how the foundation that they base their assumptions on are faulty to begin with since they are based on logical fallacies and biased point of views.
That is why the world has private investigators, they know what to look for and can view things though an unbiased perspective.
So could the public help?, yes they could, they just don't know how to do that. And one of the strangest things that really surprised me was that people really don't want to talk to the family of missing people, they just don't. I have given my email to hundreds of people, and I have even talked on the phone to quite a few as well and they will talk maybe two or three times if I'm lucky and that's about all. Then I will hear that they have plenty to say, since I will bump into people who know them, but they just won't tell the family anything, I just hear it through the gossip mills, because they think the subject content is too graphic, or the information would be too much of a character discredit of someone involved, or that they fear upsetting us emotionally in general.

Thus, the family is forced into hiring outside help and to keep working with the professionals that are assigned to the different aspects of the case. I still call people and will always seek more information, but for the most part, we are working on this pretty much on our own due to those circumstances.

I do relate to your frustration though, I get an ear full of the public's frustration about twice a week through second hand gossip just so I don't forget how they feel, it is hard on us because we can't help them in understanding how this whole process works because they won't talk to us, and that's the problem, they talk among themselves, but not to us.

This is how it feels to be the family of the missing person, we can receive disheartening news from the professionals, we can receive the complaints from the public, we can be solicited by the media, we can have several family members that disagree about the case and can cause tension, and all the while we have to keep trying to work on the case, it is mentally and emotionally completely exhausting. Protection becomes a full time job, protecting information and other family members feelings from getting overloaded.

Also, I even fear sharing this with you M86, because you might read this and decide on your own (instead of asking me how I feel) that you shouldn't talk to me about your frustration anymore since I am going through so much. The truth is, I want others to ask me and to talk to me and allow me the right to decide what I can or cannot handle, instead of them always making those decisions for me.

If I could say one thing to the public it would be; Talk to me!
But I can't,,,,,, cause they think the case is private so they "assume" I can't say anything at all, and they "assume" what I am feeling about things, and decide that I can't handle talking to them.

As I have told you before, I do appreciate your unadorned honesty M86, you can't possibly offend me by asking me questions and sharing your frustrations, it is most understandable for you to want to wonder why these cases are like this and to express your emotions on how it feels to be on the outside without knowing. I feel exactly the same as you, I am on the inside with the knowing, and I feel just as frustrated as you do and I have the same number of questions that you have, it's funny, we both feel the same way, no greener grass over here either. lol
slyon

Thanks for the replies, Slyon. I absolutely cannot imagine dealing with a missing person that was close to me. I would go insane!

I've read about some great work from private investigators... I'm hoping they can provide the insight needed to solve her disappearance.

Just remember, stay strong, and don't let the negatives get to you. And if there's anything any of us can do here (I haven't been a member of websleuths for very long, but I've been a long time "lurker"), let us know... There's a lot of people here that want to help anyway they can.

Some questions that popped into my mind (and forgive me if these have been answered before):
- Did Catherine have any close friends/relatives that she would confide in regularly? Have these people been questioned by the private investigator?
- Has her social security number been used since her disappearance?
- Was anything missing from her home after she went missing?
- Have any of her financial accounts (checking, credit cards, etc) been accessed since her disappearance?
- I hate to ask this, but does Catherine have any history of mental issues (depression, anxiety, mania, etc)? From what I've read, she hasn't.

Slyon, don't fear talking here, and if there is something you don't want to share about anything, then that's perfectly okay! :)

Just checking in - I've been away from WS b/c I have a lot of work that has landed in my lap. I just don't have as much free time anymore to hang out here. But my thoughts are still with this case - very much so. I hope it is resolved soon, for Catherine's sake.

Less than a month that I can request this to be added to charleyproject.org. Still thinking of Catherine. I really wish I had more info on what is being done!

Nearly 60 people volunteered to search areas of Fall River County last Saturday morning. The focus of their search was any evidence that would help law enforcement in the disappearance of Catherine Tornquist of rural Hot Springs.

“We are going to search in several areas,” Fall River County sheriff Rich Mraz told the volunteers, “including the Coldbrook area, Cottonwood, Battle Mountain, areas along Argyle Road and down Hot Brook Canyon.”

Read more: http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/no...257-11e1-884e-001a4bcf887a.html#ixzz1rZMJusWZ

I emailed Charley Project a few days ago to add her.

It would be so hard to search the Badlands. Unless investigators had a tip or hunch on where.

I emailed Charley Project a few days ago to add her.

It would be so hard to search the Badlands. Unless investigators had a tip or hunch on where.

I would search the Wanblee/Kadoka/Scenic/Interior areas just because of the gun thing w/her son.

I would search the Wanblee/Kadoka/Scenic/Interior areas just because of the gun thing w/her son.

What was the story with that (the son and gun thing)? I'll try and find it, but just thought I'd ask.

For some reason that web page didn't load.... I did a Google search of Matthew Tornquist and saw that page, but it didn't load.

Can you provide any more info on that? Could he be connected to her disappearance, in your opinion?

My ex has family in Wanblee, so I am familiar with the area. I am not saying that the son harmed her. If he had mentioned to anyone that she had the cash to buy a camper, it could be an incentive for someone, not in the family or directly connected to her, to rob her. People go missing in the Badlands. It is usually because of drugs, money or revenge. IMHO

Catherine has been missing for 7 mos. tomorrow. So very little info on what has happened. Bumping for Catherine.

Checking in again. Thinking of you, Catherine.

Missing Persons of America - Catherine Tornquist-Missing from South Dakota

There's another link I found.

After reading and hearing about everything, my suspicions rest on Catherine's son, Matthew. I just hope the SD DCI is doing everything they can to figure Catherine's disappearance out.

I vacillated back and forth between the son and the 'friend' for quite some time. The son also has a past record in addition to the charges he is currently being held on. Yet the 'friend' seems to have an obsession with Catherine that bothers me. I believe money was the motivation - and if that's the case, I lean towards the son. JMHO

Where are you, Catherine?

I vacillated back and forth between the son and the 'friend' for quite some time. The son also has a past record in addition to the charges he is currently being held on. Yet the 'friend' seems to have an obsession with Catherine that bothers me. I believe money was the motivation - and if that's the case, I lean towards the son. JMHO

Where are you, Catherine?

...or someone who knows/was connected to the son.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back