NOTGUILTY South Africa - Anni Dewani, 28, shot to death, Gugulethu, 13 Nov 2010 #5

EVENTS SINCE MURDER OF ANNI DEWANI

When honeymooners Shrien and Anni Dewani were ambushed by car-jackers as they drove through a dangerous South African township, it appeared to be a random attack. But police soon developed a different theory centring on her husband, who had escaped unharmed.

* November 13 - Shrien and Anni Dewani's cab is hijacked as their chauffeur drives them through the rough township of Gugulethu on the outskirts of Cape Town on their honeymoon.
Dewani escapes but his wife is driven off and killed. Her body is found the next morning in the back of the abandoned vehicle. A subsequent post-mortem examination finds she was shot in the neck.

* November 16 - Dewani leaves South Africa.
Xolile Mngeni, from the township of Khayelitsha, is arrested by Western Cape Police.

* November 17 - Mngeni is charged with the hijacking and murder.

* November 18 - Police arrest a second suspect, Mzwamadoda Qwabe, also from Khayelitsha.

* November 20 - Police arrest a third suspect, the couple's taxi driver Zola Tongo, from Cape Town.

* November 23 - Dewani rejects speculation that he was somehow involved in the car-jacking, telling The Sun: 'People who suggest this could not have seen us together.'

* December 7 - Tongo is jailed for 18 years after making a plea agreement with prosecutors.

The taxi driver claims Dewani offered him 15,000 rand (£1,300) to have his wife killed - something strongly denied by the British businessman's family.
Dewani is arrested in Bristol under a South African warrant on suspicion of conspiring to murder his wife.

* December 8 - Dewani appears at City of Westminster Magistrates' Court in London and is remanded in custody as the South African authorities fight to extradite him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-murdering-honeymoon-bride.html#ixzz3IwGIuKVM

* March 3 - Dewani, who is said to be suffering from severe post-traumatic stress disorder, is sent to the Priory Hospital in Bristol.

* April 20 - Dewani is compulsorily detained under the Mental Health Act at Fromeside Clinic, a secure hospital in Bristol.

* May 3-5 - Dewani's extradition hearing begins at Belmarsh Magistrates' Court. Prosecutors cite an unnamed witness who claims Dewani confessed he needed to 'find a way out of' his marriage months before the wedding.

* August 10 - District Judge Howard Riddle rules that Dewani can be extradited to South Africa to stand trial.

* September 20 - Wynberg Regional Court in South Africa hears claims that Dewani approached an airport shuttle service operator and sought a hitman to murder his wife almost immediately after the couple arrived at a five-star hotel in Cape Town.

* September 28 - Home Secretary Theresa May signs an order for Dewani to be extradited to South Africa.

* September 30 - Dewani lodges a High Court appeal against Mrs May's decision.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-murdering-honeymoon-bride.html#ixzz3IwHM4xIB

I'm very uncertain about a residue expert being called in at the 11th hour. It's not giving them any time to examine the evidence properly or compile a full report. They'll probably end up being decimated by defence on the stand.

* February 10 - The Western Cape High Court in South Africa hears that Dewani is to be added as the fourth accused when the murder trial eventually gets under way.

* March 30 - The High Court temporarily halts Dewani's extradition, ruling that it would be 'unjust and oppressive' to order his removal. But the court said it was plainly in the interests of justice that he should be extradited 'as soon as he is fit' to be tried.

* August 8 - South Africa's National Prosecuting Authority announces that Qwabe has pleaded guilty to murdering Mrs Dewani along with charges of kidnapping, robbery and the illegal possession of a firearm. He is jailed for 25 years.
In a statement as part of his plea deal, Qwabe said that after he and Mngeni staged the fake hijacking, he drove the car as Mngeni kept a pistol pointed at Mrs Dewani in the back seat before shooting her.

* November 19 - Mngeni is found guilty of premeditated murder at the Western Cape High Court. He is also convicted of robbery with aggravating circumstances and illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition. But he is acquitted of Mrs Dewani's kidnapping.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-murdering-honeymoon-bride.html#ixzz3IwHeAtrU

I'm very uncertain about a residue expert being called in at the 11th hour. It's not giving them any time to examine the evidence properly or compile a full report. They'll probably end up being decimated by defence on the stand.

Agree, and I'm not convinced it will have any real bearing on SD's guilt, only whether Qwabe or Mngeni fired the shot, and whether it was likely to have been an accident, which doesn't mean a murder wasn't planned, ...but we'll see.

True, and their 'experts' just don't appear to be quite that either.

Mopp and Riley don't sound experienced enough. I'm not sure what happened to the more experienced Advocate who headed it initially. :dunno: JMO

O/T - I read that Gerrie Nel will soon be back in court with another case, the accused, a husband who allegedly hired hit men to kill his wife. :(

Agree, and I'm not convinced it will have any real bearing on SD's guilt, only whether Qwabe or Mngeni fired the shot, and whether it was likely to have been an accident, which doesn't mean a murder wasn't planned, ...but we'll see.

bbm: agree and (a) dispel the possibility of the shooting being an execution based on the expert opinion/experience or
(b) raise the possibility it could have still been a ''hit''

that's my concern too....

Besides the helicopter trip, has anyone heard anything about plans for the rest of the honeymoon? It would seem odd to me if something like a safari or other events had been pre-booked, and the helicopter trip which led to Anni's death was just a standalone, impulsive trip. Dewani seems like a great planner with his spread sheets and whatever. Why would his honeymoon have just been left to chance?

Besides the helicopter trip, has anyone heard anything about plans for the rest of the honeymoon? It would seem odd to me if something like a safari or other events had been pre-booked, and the helicopter trip which led to Anni's death was just a standalone, impulsive trip. Dewani seems like a great planner with his spread sheets and whatever. Why would his honeymoon have just been left to chance?

I am curious about the planned return to the UK -- was that the original planned date of return?

Sweet young things on their honeymoon don't usually over plan with outdoor activities -- KWIM?

l
I am curious about the planned return to the UK -- was that the original planned date of return?

Sweet young things on their honeymoon don't usually over plan with outdoor activities -- KWIM?

Well, no. But they do usually plan something special if they're Europeans going to Africa - honeymoon suite, a romantic day or two in a luxury lodge, etc. It just seems so disorganized to turn up to a hotel and only then inform them you're on honeymoon. And bag the first dodgy cab driver to organise your first trip.

I'm not saying nobody would ever do something like that - just that I've seen various things that hint Dewani is fussy (to the extent of bordering on a touch of OCD) about details. His behaviour re the honeymoon seems out of character for him.

Also, something else I just thought of; he took over complete control of Anni's funeral, to the distress of her relatives. But couldn't be bothered to arrange his own honeymoon? His brother had to book the flights for him?

l

Well, no. But they do usually plan something special if they're Europeans going to Africa - honeymoon suite, a romantic day or two in a luxury lodge, etc. It just seems so disorganized to turn up to a hotel and only then inform them you're on honeymoon. And bag the first dodgy cab driver to organise your first trip.

I'm not saying nobody would ever do something like that - just that I've seen various things that hint Dewani is fussy (to the extent of bordering on a touch of OCD) about details. His behaviour re the honeymoon seems out of character for him.Also, something else I just thought of; he took over complete control of Anni's funeral, to the distress of her relatives. But couldn't be bothered to arrange his own honeymoon? His brother had to book the flights for him?

yes....they were staying at a lovely hotel and I would think that ''safety'' first would be the concern of two young professionals like Anni & SD - using the concierge at their own hotel would be 'astute'. I have not heard any evidence that SD made enquiries at the hotel about possible activities nearby.

bbm: jmo -- the honeymoon was a huge stress for him -- JMO I remember seeing somewhere in the threads that there was an upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite...a bit odd for a honeymoon too I would think. The whole ''couldn't be bothered'' about honeymoon arrangements speaks volumes to me.

The prosecution case does appear to be weak, but thinking about it, the defense case is also pretty weak too. Have the defense raised enough reasonable doubt?
We have SD's trauma that could logically have been about his terror when accused and charged, guilty or not. There are the email exchanges between SD and Anni, that show Anni's serious concerns about the relationship and SD's attitudes towards her, but also flirty ones between them (shades of the OP case). The videos showing affection between them do not, in my opinion, mean much. I can remember many occasions when I had photos with someone, with arms around each other. I might have just met them socially, or on holiday etc. SD and Anni had been together for some time, were newly married, sharing a holiday and hotel room, so some aspects of their relationship would have shown affection, normality, at least some of the time. So I'm not convinced that these things show reasonable doubt re SD's guilt. I hope SD takes the stand as we still haven't heard what he was thinking re why he trusted ZT, and the money issues re when he put the money in the cubbyhole, if he ever did.

I am aware that the defendant has to be given the benefit of any reasonable doubt, so I suppose the PT will just have to try harder for a conviction.

One thing I noticed in the judge's transcript re Mngeni, is that it said the SD and Anni were staying at the Colosseum Protea Hotel in Century City. That's a mistake isn't it.

yes....they were staying at a lovely hotel and I would think that ''safety'' first would be the concern of two young professionals like Anni & SD - using the concierge at their own hotel would be 'astute'. I have not heard any evidence that SD made enquiries at the hotel about possible activities nearby.

bbm: jmo -- the honeymoon was a huge stress for him -- JMO I remember seeing somewhere in the threads that there was an upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite...a bit odd for a honeymoon too I would think. The whole ''couldn't be bothered'' about honeymoon arrangements speaks volumes to me.

BBM

I remember seeing that too, I searched but couldn't find it again, so didn't mention it. If it was 2 bedrooms, and not a bedroom and lounge, that would be very odd, and revealing about how close they were.

l

I'm not saying nobody would ever do something like that - just that I've seen various things that hint Dewani is fussy (to the extent of bordering on a touch of OCD) about details. His behaviour re the honeymoon seems out of character for him.

Also, something else I just thought of; he took over complete control of Anni's funeral, to the distress of her relatives. But couldn't be bothered to arrange his own honeymoon? His brother had to book the flights for him?

Re the hiring of Tongo, wasn't there some doubt over this, IIRC? Wasn't there some suggestion that SD's assistant had prebooked Tongo? I don't remember where this assertion came from, but I seem to remember then something about Tongo not being able to be prebooked?! I, for one, would like some clarity once and for all over this. I do think there is definitely some odd behaviour of SD's which needs clarification. I'm thinking here about the carrying of large quantities of cash, using illegal money changers, relying on Tongo to arrange the helicopter trip, SD's apparent lack of suspicion over Tongo in the immediate aftermath, the thank you cards...

The prosecution case does appear to be weak, but thinking about it, the defense case is also pretty weak too. Have the defense raised enough reasonable doubt?
We have SD's trauma that could logically have been about his terror when accused and charged, guilty or not. There are the email exchanges between SD and Anni, that show Anni's serious concerns about the relationship and SD's attitudes towards her, but also flirty ones between them (shades of the OP case). The videos showing affection between them do not, in my opinion, mean much. I can remember many occasions when I had photos with someone, with arms around each other. I might have just met them socially, or on holiday etc. SD and Anni had been together for some time, were newly married, sharing a holiday and hotel room, so some aspects of their relationship would have shown affection, normality, at least some of the time. So I'm not convinced that these things show reasonable doubt re SD's guilt. I hope SD takes the stand as we still haven't heard what he was thinking re why he trusted ZT, and the money issues re when he put the money in the cubbyhole, if he ever did.

I am aware that the defendant has to be given the benefit of any reasonable doubt, so I suppose the PT will just have to try harder for a conviction.

Very good points. IMO, I don't think there is a logistical possibility that the money was placed into the cubbyhole/glovebox. I just don't see how it can have happened.

Re the hiring of Tongo, wasn't there some doubt over this, IIRC? Wasn't there some suggestion that SD's assistant had prebooked Tongo? I don't remember where this assertion came from, but I seem to remember then something about Tongo not being able to be prebooked?! I, for one, would like some clarity once and for all over this. I do think there is definitely some odd behaviour of SD's which needs clarification. I'm thinking here about the carrying of large quantities of cash, using illegal money changers, relying on Tongo to arrange the helicopter trip, SD's apparent lack of suspicion over Tongo in the immediate aftermath, the thank you cards...

BBM

I remember there being some suggestion his assistant had pre booked Tongo, not sure it was accurate though.

Re the part I've bolded - in SD's statement in 3.10.14 "On the way to his car we told him that we had just got married in India and that we were on our honeymoon. I noticed that his car was in good condition."

So he already booked him knowing little about him really. I wonder what he'd have done if the car had been an old wreck?

They had just had a short safari before flying south. I would have thought he had booked the hotel prior to the honeymoon and haven't heard that he didn't. When we have travelled to distant lands we always book the hotel but we never book a taxi and always pick one up at the airport. However, SA does have a bit of a reputation. Did I not read that Dewani was impressed by the quality of the car (ie in very good condition) and politeness of Tongo? Maybe that is why he chose him. I don't think the hotel provided it but Tongo obvious knew MM, possibly via his taxi work.

That is why I referred to the calling of this late witness as a red herring. One of the definitions of red herring is “a distraction”. The Judge showed her irritation at the request and I can see why. IMO this information would have been useful in the earlier trials but is of no real interest, AFAICS, in determining SD’s guilt or otherwise. At this point in the trial, I still have no idea whether SD is guilty or not, which tells me the evidence is not good enough to find him guilty. We may find he walks and we will never know the truth, one way or the other. I am still hopeful, but doubtful, we will hear Dewani on the stand.

I feel for Anni’s parents. It seems as though this trial may end and they are no further forward in finding out what really happened. A little like June in the OP trial where she still doesn’t believe that she heard the truth about Reeva’s murder (like most of us).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back