NOTGUILTY South Africa - Anni Dewani, 28, shot to death, Gugulethu, 13 Nov 2010 #5

I have just put all these links here to promote discussion.

I have just put all these links here to promote discussion.

I did not see the Panorama BBC production so as I have been following the proceedings here I was troubled by the lack of detail ... especially about the rings....

Given that the very valuable rings were NOT taken by the ''bad guys'', it seemed to me that the contract killing was the main motive....moo

This and other points are discussed in the links you provided -- thanks

That is why I referred to the calling of this late witness as a red herring. One of the definitions of red herring is “a distraction”. The Judge showed her irritation at the request and I can see why. IMO this information would have been useful in the earlier trials but is of no real interest, AFAICS, in determining SD’s guilt or otherwise. At this point in the trial, I still have no idea whether SD is guilty or not, which tells me the evidence is not good enough to find him guilty. We may find he walks and we will never know the truth, one way or the other. I am still hopeful, but doubtful, we will hear Dewani on the stand.

I feel for Anni’s parents. It seems as though this trial may end and they are no further forward in finding out what really happened. A little like June in the OP trial where she still doesn’t believe that she heard the truth about Reeva’s murder (like most of us).

I'm sorry about my comment about the red herring, I'm not that great at getting my point across. What I'm thinking, how it does have bearing on the case is that Qwabe is an important witness, along side Tongo and Mondo, for it to be hanging over the trial that Qwabe may have killed Anni, throws all his testimony out window, he is not only a liar but the person who may have killed Anni.

The DT really tried hard to discredit every single witness, VZ already had the upper hand with Qwabe, Tongo and Mondo as they are just common criminals. VZ said that there was primer residue on Qwabe's glove, there may be a reasonably good explanation how he had this on his glove. Mngeni had primer residue on his hands also, so why both? :dunno:

Imo, the PT have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Mngeni killed Anni. It's just another stumbling block to getting to the truth.

I believe Qwabe brought Mngeni into the fold because he is the ruthless, menacing killer who could do the deed. JMO

"21. Who paid for gunman Mngeni's defence? Why havent the Dewani's shown any interest in convicting the man who caused Shrien's alleged "mental illness" and made him a "widower at 30"?

Why did Mngeni's lawyer ask questions in court of Mr Hindocha that were unrelated to Mngeni's defence but were only of benefit to Shrien Dewani?"

Interesting, I know nothing about the Mngeni trial but this is an intriguing possible angle...

How strong is the case against Dewani? h

ttp://www.politicsweb.co.za/politicsweb/view/politicsweb/en/page71619?oid=406620&sn=Detail

Re: Estelle post 54
http://www.politicsweb.co.za/politicsweb/view/politicsweb/en/page71619?oid=406620&sn=Detail

The mysterious journalist Fanie that Tongo mentioned in court last week to keep away from his family. I think this is him Fanie Jason

Fanie Jason, the local paparazzo who infiltrated Earl Spencer's (brother to the late Princess of Wales) family life by posing as a gardener, rang newspapers (and I was one of the people he spoke to) offering a story on Dewani. Included in the package were interviews with people involved who were prepared to sell information at a price. He referred to ‘people being pro-Dewani and anti-South African'. Tongo's mother began auctioning letters sent from her son in jail, emphasising his innocence.

One thing I noticed in the judge's transcript re Mngeni, is that it said the SD and Anni were staying at the Colosseum Protea Hotel in Century City. That's a mistake isn't it.

Hi Patcee, yes it was Monde who was the receptionist at the Colosseum Protea Hotel.

Leigh-Anne Jansen ‏@LA_JANSEN 9m9 minutes ago

Proceedings to resume shortly. Col. Mlabateki to be called

Thandiwe Mlabateki is the state's 16th witness

Mlabateki is a Colonel in the SAPS, attached to the Forensics Science Laboratory. 19 years experience in forensics

And 13 years as a primer residue analyst. Mlabateki has prepared a report.

Since August 2012, Mlabateki assumed a management position at the Forensic Science Lab, but is still involved in case work

Mopp: It's common cause that primer residue samples were taken & analysed. Two reports are, thus, not before the court because

Mopp hands in a photograph of Qwabe's glove, as found at the scene

Mopp: It's common cause that the glove was recovered & a piece removed for analysis. ((Additional photos handed in))

TM: When a firearm is discharged..primer residue particles are deposited on the hands of the person who fired the firearm

Leigh-Anne Jansen ‏@LA_JANSEN 2m2 minutes ago

TM: When particles descend, it can also be deposited on the person's hands. The volume will have a radius of about 2 metres

These particles lie on the hands. It's possible that that the person in close proximity to the person who fired, to test positive for primer residue. Wind (particles are lying loose on the surface.) and rain can influence the results

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back