Steve Thomas

southcitymom said:
How on earth was a comment about Steve Thomas on a thread entitled Steve Thomas off-topic?

This was the first posters question:

"I haven't been able to find any information on Steve Thomas, no recent news, no public comment."

Not How Horrible do You Think That Steve Is. I can start a thread with that title if it would please people!

RR

RiverRat said:

"I haven't been able to find any information on Steve Thomas, no recent news, no public comment."

Not How Horrible do You Think That Steve Is. I can start a thread with that title if it would please people!

RR

My little Riverrat...breath....breath...go walk the dog...

*KISSES*

"I always thought he was more interested in putting the info out there because of the mismanagement he saw around him, than trying to convince the public of the Ramsey's guilt."

I agree. I reread it and it seems like the Ramseys are really playing second fiddle.

"Brave person. I wouldn't want some rich family coming after me. He probably knew that would happen when he wrote it."

I don't. I was thinking this just last night. I seriously doubt that he thought they would come after him. But, and this is strictly my own opinion, John Ramsey has, through actions and words, placed himself above the law. "What? How DARE you think I had something to do with this crime?! You know, even though my fibers are in her pants."

But I don't bow at the feet of Mr. Thomas, either. I think that a LOT of investigators, whether leaning toward guilt of innocence, based their original positions on emotion rather than evidence. Thomas went with the stats that show how parents are overwhelmingly the perps. Smit prayed with them and based his belief on that (very unprofessional!) Lacy bases her belief in Patsy's innocence on that ridiculous "profile" hooey and her own radical feminist belief that no woman could kill. Trip DeMuth made the same decision on virtually the same grounds. John Douglas based his belief on the fact that he didn't think John Ramsey would lie to him. The GJ saw the pictures and discounted all the other evidence, and the list goes on and on.

"Some very well-renowned experts backed up Steve Thomas's theory."

Yes, they did.

SuperDave said:
"I always thought he was more interested in putting the info out there because of the mismanagement he saw around him, than trying to convince the public of the Ramsey's guilt."

I agree. I reread it and it seems like the Ramseys are really playing second fiddle.

"Brave person. I wouldn't want some rich family coming after me. He probably knew that would happen when he wrote it."

I don't. I was thinking this just last night. I seriously doubt that he thought they would come after him. But, and this is strictly my own opinion, John Ramsey has, through actions and words, placed himself above the law. "What? How DARE you think I had something to do with this crime?! You know, even though my fibers are in her pants."

But I don't bow at the feet of Mr. Thomas, either. I think that a LOT of investigators, whether leaning toward guilt of innocence, based their original positions on emotion rather than evidence. Thomas went with the stats that show how parents are overwhelmingly the perps. Smit prayed with them and based his belief on that (very unprofessional!) Lacy bases her belief in Patsy's innocence on that ridiculous "profile" hooey and her own radical feminist belief that no woman could kill. Trip DeMuth made the same decision on virtually the same grounds. John Douglas based his belief on the fact that he didn't think John Ramsey would lie to him. The GJ saw the pictures and discounted all the other evidence, and the list goes on and on.

"Some very well-renowned experts backed up Steve Thomas's theory."

Yes, they did.

Emotions, stats and theories are not evidence. And Steve Thomas paid the Ramseys to settle their libel suit.

Settled for how much?

SuperDave - you nailed Steve's intentions on the head. He did not cover up for any faults of his own, the police, the district attorney, the press, or the Ramseys. His book was not about profits for his pocket or the Ramseys pocket - it was to inform all Americans of what really went on behind closed doors.

RiverRat said:
Settled for how much?

SuperDave - you nailed Steve's intentions on the head. He did not cover up for any faults of his own, the police, the district attorney, the press, or the Ramseys. His book was not about profits for his pocket or the Ramseys pocket - it was to inform all Americans of what really went on behind closed doors.
"The libel suit brought by John and Patsy Ramsey against former Boulder police detective Steve Thomas is over. The case, which was settled in May, was formally dismissed on Wednesday, said Ramsey attorney Lin Wood. 'Obviously, the Ramseys are pleased with the settlement and are glad the case was successfully resolved in their favor,' Wood said."

"John and Patsy Ramsey sued Thomas for libel and defamation in March 2001 in U.S. District Court in Atlanta. The civil suit said Thomas made false claims about the couple in a book he co-wrote titled 'JonBenet: Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation' and during interviews promoting the book. Publisher St. Martin's Press and co-author Don Davis were part of the settlement, Wood said."

"The lawsuit sought $ 80 million in damages, but Wood declined to disclose the amount paid. 'The terms of the settlement, including the amount, are confidential,' he said.

I have always thought highly of Steve Thomas, all he wants/wanted was for the murderer to pay for their crime, very sad that will never happen.

So basically, he could have settled for a penny. :woohoo:

No retractions - no apology - the book stands as written. Hunter didn't sue him, Beckner didn't sue him, no one mentioned in the book besides the Ramseys have sued him or demanded a retraction. No one.

PD - Never say Never. We couldn't have asked for a better hoax to reveal to the world just how far Team Ram can go......where else is the spotlight going to land when this Publicity Release is over but back to the only people that stood to benefit from it.

Here's Steve Thomas disposition.

http://www.jonbenetindexguide.com/09212001Depo-SteveThomas.htm

It's worth the read.

Amy

Buzzm1 said:
"The libel suit brought by John and Patsy Ramsey against former Boulder police detective Steve Thomas is over. The case, which was settled in May, was formally dismissed on Wednesday, said Ramsey attorney Lin Wood. 'Obviously, the Ramseys are pleased with the settlement and are glad the case was successfully resolved in their favor,' Wood said."

"John and Patsy Ramsey sued Thomas for libel and defamation in March 2001 in U.S. District Court in Atlanta. The civil suit said Thomas made false claims about the couple in a book he co-wrote titled 'JonBenet: Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation' and during interviews promoting the book. Publisher St. Martin's Press and co-author Don Davis were part of the settlement, Wood said."

"The lawsuit sought $ 80 million in damages, but Wood declined to disclose the amount paid. 'The terms of the settlement, including the amount, are confidential,' he said.

I feel it's important to note:

In a letter released to the public, former Detective Steve Thomas said the following:

- He was not the one who sought the settlement.
- He did not admit to any wrongdoing.
- He did not personally pay one single penny to the Ramseys.
- The book can continue to be published as is with no corrections.
- He can continue to speak on the case if he so wishes.

<snip>

Questions and Answers regarding the Steve Thomas case:

What has changed since the Larry King Live show on April 28th 2001?

Q: Can Steve Thomas still speak about the case?
A: Yes, Steve can still speak about the case.

Q: Can the book that claims, in the "author’s opinion," that Patsy Ramsey is a murderer still be sold in bookstores?
A: Yes, the book can still be sold.

Q: Did Steve Thomas have to admit any wrongdoing?
A: Steve Thomas has never admitted to any wrongdoing.

Q: Did Steve Thomas have to pay any money to the Ramseys?
A: Steve Thomas did not pay any money to the Ramseys.

The only thing that has changed is that the Ramseys and their attorney Lin Wood lined their pockets with money, but not money from Steve Thomas. The Ramseys did not need to settle but they did.

http://www.supportramseytruth.com/index2.htm

RiverRat said:
Settled for how much?

If his book was not about profits then he would have donated the proceeds to some worthy cause.
Lets not be deluded into believing it was completely altruistic.

RiverRat

Now that Patsy Ramsey is dead I feel the picture you continue to show is very disrespectful. (However, I thought it was disgusting even before.) She's dead now. Maybe you can find one of John crying over her grave.

BeeBee said:
RiverRat

Now that Patsy Ramsey is dead I feel the picture you continue to show is very disrespectful. (However, I thought it was disgusting even before.) She's dead now. Maybe you can find one of John crying over her grave.
Personally I thought that picture was very disrespectful of JonBenet on Patsy's part. I have to wonder who was there with her taking that picture as she displayed such dramatic grief, and was she doing that for the camera? Why would you allow someone to photograph you as you grieved at your daughter's grave unless you wanted people to see your grief? Mourning JonBenet at her final resting place should NOT be a photo op!

Further disrespectful to JonBenet was the fact that the Ramseys put her tombstone up in time for the one year anniversary of her death to avoid media censure, not out of desire to memorialize their daughter at her grave. They talk about it in DOI, pb, pgs 247-48. They asked for a rush job on the stone because they didn't want to be shamed publicly for failing to have done so already.

RiverRat said:

RR
I don't know the first thing about Steve Thomas other than the few things I've read on this short thread, so I have no opinion on Steve Thomas. I am still of the opinion that if a thread is titled Steve Thomas, it is open for comments regarding Steve Thomas, whether or not those comments respond to a former post or not. I see no need to get rude with a poster whose on-topic post happens to offer a different opinion than the opinion you hold.

BeeBee said:
RiverRat

Or maybe not.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back