Sunday, 6/9/2013 Radio Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I know. Per the link below, you can only get a direct flight from ForthWorth/Dallas to Durango, Denver to Durango or from Phoenix to Durango:Durango–La Plata County Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I did check and found Durango had a direct flight to those three places, but not to anywhere else that I have found.

Last summer, Frontier opened a direct flight from Durango to Las Vegas, but I could not find any direct flight this year:
http://news.flyfrontier.com/press-release/new-cityschedule-changes/fly-frontier-nonstop-between-durango-and-las-vegas

I believe there is a difference between a direct flight and a non-stop flight. Non-stop leaves point A and arrives at point B without stopping. A direct flight goes from point A to point B, but will have a stop - or stops- at other points in between. So if Dylan was on a direct flight, he would have stopped in Denver (or somewhere) but would not have had to get off the plane and transfer to a different flight.

I always thought that the issues with Dylan's prior flight had to do with him having to transfer to a different plane in Denver, so Mark was making sure he was on a direct flight this time, so he wouldn't have to change planes or have a long layover by himself in Denver.

I don't think it was mean of him to say no. I would probably do the same. But its odd that says that he and D did not discuss the subject until 7;30 or 8, which would mean they were going past the lake, and nearly home. When in reality, they discussed it around 6;30 or so, because he texted R at 6:43 to say he couldn't come.

I do understand why he would not want to take him right to his friends. However, since he was getting up so early and going to do errands without D anyway, it would have been a better plan if he had. JMO

Another possibility about when Dylan saw his friends may have been related to the flight time.

Perhaps, the original "maybe" plan involved Dylan arriving an hour earlier, getting closer to Bayfield, etc. and eating a sit-down dinner and having some quality time together in Mark's mind. Then, when the plane was delayed, MR realized that the delay would have brought them (or him) back to MR's home much later than planned. Perhaps, that is when MR told Dylan "not tonight" and DR was disappointed as he had tentatively planned for the friend-fun to begin that evening.

MR, IMO..MOO, is the kind of guy who flails around and says hurtful things when he is frustrated. He could easily have been agitated by the flight's delay and "let loose" when Dylan said something like, "Hi Dad! Let's get going. I want to get Ryan's as soon as possible." You can fill in the blanks as to what MR's response would have been to that typical middle school question. ( I think there is a book for parents titled "Get Out of My Life, But First Could You Drive Me and Cheryl to the Mall?": A Parent's Guide to the New Teenager .)

MR wasn't around DR much in the past 4 months and been caught off guard by the new, more worldly and demanding DR.

Another possibility about when Dylan saw his friends may have been related to the flight time.

Perhaps, the original "maybe" plan involved Dylan arriving an hour earlier, getting closer to Bayfield, etc. and eating a sit-down dinner and having some quality time together in Mark's mind. Then, when the plane was delayed, MR realized that the delay would have brought them (or him) back to MR's home much later than planned. Perhaps, that is when MR told Dylan "not tonight" and DR was disappointed as he had tentatively planned for the friend-fun to begin that evening.

MR, IMO..MOO, is the kind of guy who flails around and says hurtful things when he is frustrated. He could easily have been agitated by the flight's delay and "let loose" when Dylan said something like, "Hi Dad! Let's get going. I want to get Ryan's as soon as possible." You can fill in the blanks as to what MR's response would have been to that typical middle school question. ( I think there is a book for parents titled "Get Out of My Life, But First Could You Drive Me and Cheryl to the Mall?": A Parent's Guide to the New Teenager .)

MR wasn't around DR much in the past 4 months and been caught off guard by the new, more worldly and demanding DR.

BBM

I think that was a big factor. Teens go through a growth spurt, which is accompanied by HORMONES. These hormones flood the emotional level as well.

I used to work at a middle school. 7th and 8th grade parents were always making appts with their kids counselors and teachers to try and figure out why they were 'suddenly' talking back and smart mouthing at home. Hormones flooding their pea-sized brains was my standard answer.

If Mark was angry about the plane landing late, and told D he couldn't go see his friends, D might have mouthed off in response. He did not look happy in his Wal Mart picture. He looked miserable, imo.

When we visited my Dad after the divorce, our weekend was ALWAYS started off by a visit to the Supermarket. My brothers and I always stayed close to Dad so we could throw our fave snacks into the cart. Everything Mom NEVER bought went into my Dad's grocery cart. So I thought it was kind of interesting that D took off and didnt go into the food aisle with Mark. Most 13 yr old boys are very excited about buying FOOD and snacks. JMO :moo:

I believe there is a difference between a direct flight and a non-stop flight. Non-stop leaves point A and arrives at point B without stopping. A direct flight goes from point A to point B, but will have a stop - or stops- at other points in between. So if Dylan was on a direct flight, he would have stopped in Denver (or somewhere) but would not have had to get off the plane and transfer to a different flight.

I always thought that the issues with Dylan's prior flight had to do with him having to transfer to a different plane in Denver, so Mark was making sure he was on a direct flight this time, so he wouldn't have to change planes or have a long layover by himself in Denver.
Yes, you are correct, but I couldn't find any direct flights (same airplane). This is not to say there aren't any or there weren't any at Thanksgiving, there may well have been since it is such a big travel time. But the only direct flights I can find are the non-stop ones at this time.

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse anyone. I knew what I meant....

Now if Elaine drove Dylan to Denver for the flight, it would be direct (non-stop), but we don't know that.

Thanks for posting that, Katy. I loved how Tricia handled that!

Notice how Mark slams Elaine with: "Well, I've , you know, I've made many , I've made many efforts…the difference between I think that me and my ex wife is that I don't search because I am looking for recognition I search because it is the right thing to do and it's what I want to be a part of, in bringing Dylan home, so you know, just because I don't go out and and and and …ya know follow the cameras around"

and then a bit later complains that the cameras are not at the Boulder Courthouse for their "conflict resolution." Ya just can't win.

Yes, you are correct, but I couldn't find any direct flights (same airplane). This is not to say there aren't any or there weren't any at Thanksgiving, there may well have been since it is such a big travel time. But the only direct flights I can find are the non-stop ones at this time.

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse anyone. I knew what I meant....

Now if Elaine drove Dylan to Denver for the flight, it would be direct (non-stop), but we don't know that.

Where did he board the plane? If in CS, then it doesn't make sense for the flight to make a stop in Denver, since Denver is straight north of CS, and Durango is southwest of CS. Looking at the map, it looks like it would have been a lot simpler and about as fast to just drive him there. But these various routes just confound me anyway, considering the cost of flying. To me, it's cheaper and faster to drive than to fly around in circles in the same state. :moo:

Where did he board the plane? If in CS, then it doesn't make sense for the flight to make a stop in Denver, since Denver is straight north of CS, and Durango is southwest of CS. Looking at the map, it looks like it would have been a lot simpler and about as fast to just drive him there. But these various routes just confound me anyway, considering the cost of flying. To me, it's cheaper and faster to drive than to fly around in circles in the same state. :moo:

Not necessarily. Airline pricing is its own special beast. I was in Washington, DC last month. It's about a five hour drive for me, but it was way cheaper with gas prices being what they are for me to fly. There also is no discernible method to what it costs to get from one place to another. I flew from Cleveland to Portland, Oregon and my cheapest flight was to go via Phoenix, Az... Despite the fact that Portland is almost directly west of Cleveland. I saved a few hundred dollars by taking that flight, and with the layovers on all the flights I priced, it only added about an hour to my travel time. I guess it has to do with hubs and scheduling, and being able to fill the seats in a plane. But my point is that it wouldn't necessarily be cheaper, and unless there was a really long layover in Denver, it would definitely be faster when you figure the driver would have to drive both ways.

A search on Kayak.com for flights on November 19, 2014 shows that all the flights from Colorado Springs to Durango have a stop in Denver. There are 13 flights for $203 and their total duration ranges from 2 hours 27 minutes to 5 hours 44 minutes. Of course, these are flights from a year later, not the exact day Dylan traveled, but I don't believe it would be drastically different a year later.

Most small cities that have airports do not have direct flights to other small cities. You have to go to that airlines hub first. The small city next to me used to have 2 flights out a day and they went to a bigger city before going anywhere else. this city is smaller then CS.

With gas prices and wear and tear on a vechical, it is cheaper to fly. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member