Susan G. Komen charity pulls grants

Komen spokeswoman Leslie Aun told The Associated Press that the cutoff results from the charity's newly adopted criteria barring grants to organizations that are under investigation by local, state or federal authorities. Aun said this applies to Planned Parenthood because it's the focus of an inquiry launched by Rep. Cliff Stearns, R-Fla., seeking to determine whether public money was improperly spent on abortions.

http://topstories.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=17224&external=1307882.proteus.fma

To remove breast cancer screening from Planned Parenthood is just another tactic for right wing politicians; any attempt to erode or overthrow Roe v. Wade. There are women living in this country above and below the poverty line who do not have the adequate coverage for mammograms. To remove one avenue for this testing is wrong. At some point in time, in this country, women may be more than 2nd class. They can't even pass The ERA.

http://www.equalrightsamendment.org/

There is no reason not to have the Morning After Pill, once known as RU-486. I have said and firmly believe that if men could become pregnant SEARS would be selling a home abortion kit for $19.99.

Susan G. Komen's Act of Cowardice:

"In a shocking move Tuesday afternoon, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the country's most famous breast cancer charity, pulled its grants for breast-cancer screenings from Planned Parenthood."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...throws_planned_parenthood_under_the_bus_.html

This disgusts me. My sister is a breast cancer survivor and we participate every year in our local Susan G. Komen walk/run. I'm sorry to say I've made my last donation to Susan B. Komen and will divert that money over to Planned Parenthood unless/until they reverse their stance. This country is crawling with enough anti-women's health proponents. Susan G. Komen has just spit in the face of millions of their donors. Shame on them.:furious:

According to filings, Susan G. Komen contributed roughly $680,000 to just 19 of Planned Parenthood’s 85 affiliates across the country.

According to the same article the new VP of public policy is pro life! Good for them...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/meghanc...nk-slips-planned-parenthood-who-what-and-why/

To remove breast cancer screening from Planned Parenthood is just another tactic for right wing politicians; any attempt to erode or overthrow Roe v. Wade. There are women living in this country above and below the poverty line who do not have the adequate coverage for mammograms. To remove one avenue for this testing is wrong. At some point in time, in this country, women may be more than 2nd class. They can't even pass The ERA.

There is no reason not to have the Morning After Pill, once known as RU-486. I have said and firmly believe that if men could become pregnant SEARS would be selling a home abortion kit for $19.99.

Nobody is removing breast cancer screening from PP.

SGK is removing their funding right? So what's stopping other foundations from sending money to PP?

It's SGK's right to dispense their raised money where they see fit. If they don't want to give it to PP because they are being investigated for being fraudulent so be it. It's their money, their right.

I give to SGK, but I had NO IDEA they sent money to PP.
Had I known, I'm not sure I would have donated.

I think it is a good break. I support the Susan G Komen charity, but do not support some of the things Planned Parenthood does. Anyone can give to Planned Parenthood if they want to, but I do not want money I donate for breast cancer to go to support abortions. There was some talk last year that some of the money was being used that way, so I quit giving to the Susan G. Komen charity, and gave to other cancer organizations. I do not ever want one cent of my money going to Planned Parenthood, even though I think they have done some good in some areas. There are too many questionable things going on. My sister-in-law died last year from breast cancer, so I am very much in favor of finding a cure for that, and I think the Susan G Komen charity will continue to do that.

I wrote the Komen Foundation a letter expressing my support for their decision. I too am strongly pro-life. For others who share my beliefs, you may be interested to know that they do not support stem cell research either.

I guess they really don't WANT to find a cure, do they? How utterly moronic to not support a legit research method. Looking for a cure requires that NO POSSIBILITY be overlooked.

This "charity" wastes more money in a year than you or I will ever see in our lifetime. Anyone who currently supports them isn't helping breast cancer research, they're just helping the organization to sustain itself.

:goodpost:

(just the thanks button wasn't enough!)

I guess they really don't WANT to find a cure, do they? How utterly moronic to not support a legit research method. Looking for a cure requires that NO POSSIBILITY be overlooked.

This "charity" wastes more money in a year than you or I will ever see in our lifetime. Anyone who currently supports them isn't helping breast cancer research, they're just helping the organization to sustain itself.

Do you have links or any factual information to back up your claim that SGK wastes more money in a year than you or I will ever see in our lifetime?

It never occurred to me that Planned Parenthood was in the cancer screening business ,too. Ironic ,IMO.

The charity navigator site rates charities.
Anything over 60 is considered **** (four stars). That is the highest rating.

SGK's ratings:
Overall- 66.20
Financial- 65.55
Accountability and transparency- 67

So in all three categories, SGK ranks well over 60. They receive the highest rating (****) in all three categories.

Do you have links or any factual information to back up your claim that SGK wastes more money in a year than you or I will ever see in our lifetime?

MY opinion. Look at all the money they waste on administrative and fundraising. That walk----total waste.

They should be spending money on RESEARCH, not layer upon layer of administrators living off the charity.

The charity navigator site rates charities.
Anything over 60 is considered **** (four stars). That is the highest rating.

SGK's ratings:
Overall- 66.20
Financial- 65.55
Accountability and transparency- 67

So in all three categories, SGK ranks well over 60. They receive the highest rating (****) in all three categories.

Very, very generous parameters. Believe what you like. SGK is a money-sucking "charity".

Susan G. Komen denies political motivation in Planned Parenthood decision

Prominent breast cancer charity The Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation is defending its recent decision to pull funding from Planned Parenthood, arguing the move was "not about politics" in a statement it says is designed to "set the record straight."
"We are dismayed and extremely disappointed that actions we have taken to strengthen our granting process have been widely mischaracterized," the organization said Wednesday afternoon.

Its statement continued: "Throughout our 30 year history, our priority has always been and will continue to be the women we serve. As we move forward, we are working to ensure that there is no interruption or gaps in services for the women who need our support most in the fight against breast cancer."

According to Komen, the decision was born not out of political pressure but rather as part of an ongoing effort to exact "stronger performance criteria for our grantees."

"Starting in 2010, Komen began an initiative to help us do a better job of measuring the impact of community grants," the statement said. "This is important because we invest significant dollars in our local community programs--$93 million in 2011, which provided for 700,000 breast health screenings and diagnostic procedures." (According to Planned Parenthood, it received roughly $680,000 worth of Komen grants in 2011 and $580,000 in 2010.)

"Some might argue that our standards are too exacting, but over the past three decades people have given us more than just their money," the statement said. "They have given us their trust and we take that responsibility very seriously."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_...al-motivation-in-planned-parenthood-decision/

Very, very generous parameters. Believe what you like. SGK is a money-sucking "charity".

Where are you getting that information though? Is it just an opinion? A guess?

Or did you read it somewhere? Can you link it?

I know we are all free to believe what we like, but IMO a statement like that should be backed up with some sort of information.

JMO

The link from CBS that I just posted sad they spent $93 million on 700,000 screenings in 2011.
I'd say that's a pretty worth while charity.

MY opinion. Look at all the money they waste on administrative and fundraising. That walk----total waste.

They should be spending money on RESEARCH, not layer upon layer of administrators living off the charity.

11.8% on administrative costs
7.5% on fundraising costs
80.5% on the program

In order to make a foundation effective, you HAVE to have people to run it.

In order to raise funds, you HAVE to have supplies.

:waitasec:

The Susan G. Komen Foundation lost my respect and a lot of other people's respect when they started suing other charities for using "for the cure." Finding a cure for breast cancer and preventing breast cancer is NOT what this charity is about. This move with Planned Parenthood doesn't surprise me in the least.

It is, indeed, their choice to do whatever they want with their money. But it is OUR choice to do whatever we want with ours. I know I will not be donating to them ever again. With every little stunt Komen pulls, more and more people are going to be turned off by them and they will continue to lose donations.

Ok, let's check the numbers:

SGK
11.5% on administrative expenses.
Overall rating: 66.20

Planned Parenthood Washington DC 25.1% on administrative expenses.
Overall rating: 38.46

The Susan G. Komen Foundation lost my respect and a lot of other people's respect when they started suing other charities for using "for the cure." Finding a cure for breast cancer and preventing breast cancer is NOT what this charity is about. This move with Planned Parenthood doesn't surprise me in the least.

It is, indeed, their choice to do whatever they want with their money. But it is OUR choice to do whatever we want with ours. I know I will not be donating to them ever again. With every little stunt Komen pulls, more and more people are going to be turned off by them and they will continue to lose donations.

What is it about then?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back