Susan G. Komen charity pulls grants

Ok, let's check the numbers:

SGK
11.5% on administrative expenses.
Overall rating: 66.20

Planned Parenthood Washington DC 25.1% on administrative expenses.
Overall rating: 38.46

Yes, but I suspect Planned Parenthood spends quite a bit of those administrative expenses defending itself against its many enemies, as in the current Congressional investigation.

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/Ne...om Default/mid/1506/ArticleId/52/Default.aspx

Harris Poll Finds: St. Jude's Research Hospital and Susan G Komen for the Cure are among Most Trusted Non-Profits

One of the most critical elements of a non-profit's brand name is Trust.

RANK Highest Ranked in Trust
1 St. Jude's Research Hospital
2 Susan G Komen for the Cure
3 Mayo Clinic
4 Cleveland Clinic
5 Doctors without Borders
6 The Smithsonian
7 Make-a-Wish Foundation
8 Habitat for Humanity International
9 Heifer Project International
10 Salvation Army

Yes, but I suspect Planned Parenthood spends quite a bit of those administrative expenses defending itself against its many enemies, as in the current Congressional investigation.

If they wouldn't hire people who mishandle their funds, they wouldn't need to worry about it.

Remember the PP employee who was talking to a pimp about how to get abortions for his underaged "employees"?

That's just one example.

Google "planned parenthood fraud" an you will see many more examples.

And, if they ARE using federal funds to provide abortions, they are breaking the law and should be held accountable for it.

Planned Parenthood saved one of my friends from dying thanks to free screening and free medical care.

I know that some people here bash the carp out of PP, but when my friend contacted the Komen charity years ago they turned her away.

Food for thought!

Planned Parenthood also reaches many poor people who would never find a way to have a mammogram otherwise. Is this about saving women from breast cancer or is it about saving certain women?

The "investigation" is a politically-motivated attack by Rep. Cliff Stearns and his pet anti-choice supporters. It's also a waste of time and money, audits by the Department of Health and Human Services Inspector General and state Medicaid programs show Planned Parenthood is not engaging in any behavior that warrants a Congressional investigation. It's bogus and is simply meant to harass. Komen's stance of not supporting stem cell research is also a huge red flag as to where their priorities lie.

Planned Parenthood saved one of my friends from dying thanks to free screening and free medical care.

I know that some people here bash the carp out of PP, but when my friend contacted the Komen charity years ago they turned her away.

Food for thought!

That is true. I know someone the same thing happened to. Planned Parenthood is not just about pregnancy but also women's health. Often people don't know this about PP and there are some who just don't care.

Planned Parenthood provide women's health services for things such as cervical cancer, uterine cancer, std's, breast cancer, birth control, HPV and so on. I know of a very poor person who had depended on them for her health care and still does.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about pro-life, that is NOT the point of my post, but I am so tired of PP being associated with only that! They do many wonderful things.

http://plannedparenthoodsavedme.tumblr.com/

That was an example. Those of us who know women who have benefited from this group understand what they do.

There are thousands if not millions of women who benefit from their services which has nothing to do with pregnancy.

Planned Parenthood also reaches many poor people who would never find a way to have a mammogram otherwise. Is this about saving women from breast cancer or is it about saving certain women?

PP is not the only place that gets grants from SGK.

It's against their rules to give money to PP because they are being investigated for mishandling funds.

They explained it quite well in that CBS story linked above.

It is their responsibility to make sure money that is donated to them goes to the right places.

This had nothing to do with abortion. SGK has nothing to do with abortion.

It's about misuse of funds.

I will now donate to SGK. I could not, in good conscience, do that before.

Again, there has been no misuse of funds. This is a bogus investigation initiated by a right wing politician. Misuse of federal money by Planned Parenthood has been alleged by anti-choice activists year after year without any basis in reality. Therefore, they've created this policy about not issuing grants to organizations under investigation as a loophole to get around the fact that claims of using federal funds for abortions have been debunked time and time again. Then, they got a congressman to once again start yammering about an investigation. The Komen organization has now shown it's true colors. They have shown they are susceptible to political pressure. We can hope that they are just as susceptible to public backlash.

One of the most critical elements of a non-profit's brand name is Trust.

With respect, 'trust' is not a measure of how good a job an organization is doing. Trust is about perception, not efficacy. Trust is largely a function of how effective their marketing is, and marketing itself is one of SKG's main activities. Likewise, the proportion of funds spent on 'program activities' does not measure the extent to which an organization pursues its goals. SKG claims to be pursuing a 'cure' for breast cancer (in fact, they spend considerable energy and money suing other charitable organizations for using the word 'cure' in slogans, etc.), but it is unclear how much of their money they spend on research versus other activities (such as screening and quasi-advertising educational activities).

It never occurred to me that Planned Parenthood was in the cancer screening business ,too. Ironic ,IMO.

This is something very personal to me, so please don't take this response personally, although it was what triggered my reply. It's also a very personal response...

PP is in the cancer screening business, and they do a lot of good otherwise.

After three years+ without it, I finally have health insurance again.

During the time I didn't have health insurance and was un/underemployed and poor, the local PP office (an office that, by the way, doesn't and has never offered abortion services) provided the following to me, free of cost, based on my income (or, really, lack of). They were the only free health screenings of any kind available to me (by the time I had been uninsured long enough to be on the waiting list for the state healthcare program, they'd closed the waiting list). Because they did a basic physical ever time I went there, I was confident that if I had any other hidden health problem, they'd find it.

Here's what I got: free annual pap smears, to make sure I didn't have cervical cancer (there's a history of it my family); free annual breast cancer screenings (about five years ago, when I *did* have insurance, I had a scare where I ended up having to have a breast ultrasound--turned out to be a cyst and negative, but boy, that was effing scary); free STD screenings (I had one, because I'm in a committed monogamous relationship, and wanted to be responsible); and free birth control.

I'm in my mid-thirties, my boyfriend is in his mid-forties (and had a child when he was in his teens, because he was ignorant about birth control at the time--I'm very glad she's here, because she's a wonderful person). I'll also admit, there was a gap between my health insurance coverage and birth control through PP (in addition to birth control, I take the pill because if I don't, I have *horrible* cramps that lead me to missing a lot of work monthly)....during that time, my boyfriend and I practiced the pull-out method. Not particularly responsible. If had I gotten pregnant, one of two things would have happened: either I would have gotten an abortion, or the state would have paid a heck of a lot of money in child-care assistance, food stamps, etc., etc. Given my personal life circumstances, I'd probably have gone through option A.

So, for those folks who don't like PP (and again, this isn't directed to anyone personally): do you appreciate the cancer screenings they've given me particularly given my family and personal history? Do you appreciate how scary it is to be without health insurance, and to not have other options for even basic health care? This is why PP is important (and not just for women--they give cancer screening for men, as well). This is why the Kormon Foundation pulling funding is a big deal...for many of us, PP is the *only* option for even basic health care.

I checked the PP website, and this is what it says under the "mammogram" section:

Where Can I Get a Mammogram?

Ask your health care provider, health department, or staff at your local Planned Parenthood health center about where you can get a mammogram in your area.
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/womens-health/mammogram-21195.htm

PP never even provided mammograms! For that reason it makes sense that Komen cut their ties - that and the fact that PP is under investigation.

:twocents:

I am a low income single mother, and I have always received my pap smears/breast exams from the local health department and will continue to do so. I will never set foot in a PP.

I checked the PP website, and this is what it says under the "mammogram" section:

Where Can I Get a Mammogram?

Ask your health care provider, health department, or staff at your local Planned Parenthood health center about where you can get a mammogram in your area.
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/womens-health/mammogram-21195.htm

PP never even provided mammograms! For that reason it makes sense that Komen cut their ties - that and the fact that PP is under investigation.

:twocents:

I think this is a "what to do" rather than a "what we offer" because I can tell you second hand they DO offer mammograms and they DO cervical checks as well.

Also, from the way I have read things on PP, the offices you receive basic care for (if you can call it that, it's worth a better term) and the clinics they use for abortions are different and always separate locations. I don't know how that will sit with some here, but it's not like you walk in to get a breast exam and they are doing abortion procedures next door. At least, that's the way I see it. (I have stepped into a PP before but maybe I am wrong?)

Where are you getting that information though? Is it just an opinion? A guess?

Or did you read it somewhere? Can you link it?

I know we are all free to believe what we like, but IMO a statement like that should be backed up with some sort of information.

JMO

The link from CBS that I just posted sad they spent $93 million on 700,000 screenings in 2011.
I'd say that's a pretty worth while charity.

I said it was my opinion a few posts above. Why do I have to provide you with information backing up my opinion? Will it change your opinion? No. So why would I bother.

If you choose to believe that SGK is out there looking for a cure and helping people, but being choosy about who they will fund and what kind of research should/should not be done, then knock yourself out.

I refuse to believe it's necessary to spend $47,990,139 on FUNDRAISING and another $27,253,266 on administrative costs (with over $4 million in salaries and benefits alone). That's $75,243,405 the "charity" sucks up all by itself.

And that information comes from their own financial statement for year ending 03/31/2011, page 5:

http://ww5.komen.org/uploadedFiles/.../2011 Komen Financial Statements FINAL(3).pdf

If you donated before, please don't just stop giving to this cause. There are other options. For those who still want to support breast cancer research but not Komen, please consider checking out:

Breast Cancer Research Foundation - http://www.bcrfcure.org/ - The only breast cancer organization with an A+ rating from AIP (92% spent on programs in 2009)
National Breast Cancer Coalition - http://www.breastcancerdeadline2020.org/ Most of funds go to education and outreach, fund-raising, and research, about 5% to management
National Breast Cancer Foundation - http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/ (79.5% of expenses going to programs, 10.5% going to fund-raising, and 9.9% going to administrative costs)
Breast Cancer Charities of America - http://www.thebreastcancercharities.org/
BreastCancer.org - http://www.breastcancer.org/ (77% of funds to program expenses, 17% to fund-raising, and 6% to administrative costs)

What is it about then?

They have become an enterprise, one stone's throw away from an evil enterprise, whose priorities are very skewed. They are all about making money to line their own pockets.

They tried to take legal action against a bunch of random people for using the phrase "for the cure" and some even had the audacity to use a pink theme. Oh the horror!!!! SGK was afraid that their market-share would be impacted negatively and they felt the need to protect their brand. Give me a break!! If they cared about finding a cure for cancer, they wouldn't take legal action for someone having a "Kites for the Cure." And just to be clear, Kites for a Cure was a small family fundraiser for LUNG cancer!! There were over a hundred little fundraisers that SGK sent their lawyers after. There is a lot of info about the legal actions taken, but here is an easy to read, short article that sums it up pretty well--

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/07/komen-foundation-charities-cure_n_793176.html

And I do not believe for a second SGK backed away from PP because of an investigation of misuse of funds. As animlzrule stated above me, this is about pushing right-wing political beliefs onto other people. You don't believe in abortion? That's great-- don't get one!!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back