TH Losing weight/bodybuilding

I was in very good shape when I got pregnant with my 2nd. A difficult pregnancy and bedrest kept me from being able to work out. The baby came and I was ready to start at least walking everyday again. She had the WORST colic and reflux so I was too tired to even care what my body looked like. In one short year I had gained weight and lost most of my muscle definition. (It can go away pretty quickly!!) Her colic went away and all was good....I was ready to get back into shape! The weight was really not coming off so I went to the Dr. He put me on phentermine (stimulant) to help me lose weight. I lost 50 pounds in about 3 and half months. So, yes, it's possible. There is a downside. The phentermine made me VERY irritable!! I'm normally very calm and patient but found myself feeling so angry over the smallest things! I also have enough self control to not give in to my emotions and blow up over silly things (usually). So, if she was on stimulants, steroids or other muscle building supplements AND possibly dealing with PPD AND in an unhappy marriage........Well, I would say she was a ticking time bomb. This, of course, is MOO.

Well, from what I know of steroids, I don't believe many women would touch them unless it was a lifestyle things.... meaning she made her living doing something like this. This was the first time she ever tried this, no? I mean we don't have anything other than one competition to go on. Maybe it was something she just began experimenting with, and was happy with early results, and kept at it.

Anabolic steroids can cause virilization in females. Hirsutism, (body hair pattern becoming more masculine), acne, menstrual disruption, deeping of voice to more masculine, clitoromegaly. (Not gonna link that last one, since there is an IN YOUR FACE pic of it on wiki, you don't wanna see that ladies.)

Now for a female to use steroids for a once in a life time event, I just really doubt it. I could see a professional body builder doing it, a boxer, some athlete... I think she probably worked her butt off (literally) for a long time.. longer than four months, IMO.

And I think her face looked as angular and strong at that time because she had a very low body fat percentage. So all her features were more exposed, and seemed different.

And about the stimulants.. if someone is going to really go for it, as she obviously did, of course they will use any fat burners they can get their hands on. I know I would.
Besides, its perfectly legal and acceptable to visit one of those diet doctors. I am taking phentermine atm, and I don't think there would be too many women anywhere who hasn't struggled with weight. I think Terri did well. At least she didn't binge/purge or starve herself. She looked healthy to me.. which is why I also think it took longer than four months.

Some tidbits of information about anabolic steroids.

LEGAL - Anabolic steroids are legal ONLY if prescribed for a medical condition, such as certain cancers (testicular), severe anemia, delayed puberty, muscle wasting due to HIV etc. The dosing is prescribed at recommended doses and taken under a doctor's care..

ILLEGAL - Anabolic steroids used for performance and/or enhancement of looks are illegal - a felony. The drugs are taken at extremely high doses, sometimes as much as 100X the recommended dose.

If Terri took anabolic steroids, she either knew someone who was manufacturing/distributing the drugs or she bought them off the internet. Just like any other abused drug, it can be diverted via medical personal - doctor, pharmacist, nurse. Steroid powder can be purchased from another country, manufactured in a clandestine lab (usually filthy), and delivered by the postal service.

Drugs that have potential for abuse and/or addiction are scheduled 1 - V. Anabolic steroids are a schedule III, and must be used for a medical condition. Just for reference, a couple other schedule). The penalties are the same for anabolic steroids and other drugs in schedule III. The abuse isn't for the euphoric high (as with opiates - cocaine etc.) but to compete illegally via performance enhancement and/or to enhance looks. Much debate over addiction.
Builds up muscle mass and decreases fat. Affects mood and can be dangerous to the body. One of the most abused anabolic steroids is testosterone. moo

There are glucocorticoids called steroids that are NOT scheduled (no addictive qualities/no abuse). They are prescribed for asthmatic conditions, severe allergic rx's, etc etc. Not to be confused with anabolic steroids. They are prescribed for a medical condition and are legal.

I am providing this information to you as a pharmacist with decades of experience.

Please feel free to add your own additions/corrections/experiences to this topic. I know the drugs - but the psychology behind them, i have no idea.

Don't fitness competitions submit contestants to a urine test in the USA? I would think they would to keep the contests fair.

IMO, it's possible for her to lose a huge amount of weight and bulk up muscle in four months if she was extremely dedicated to her workouts and was able to keep her body in a state of ketosis.

That's one way to do it but I can't imagine anyone in true ketosis for 4 months. I'm with ya though on a high protien regimen.

Rumor cause I read it on the net, I heard she was doing fat burners but I'm not sure if they were available at the time she was in competition.

Didn't read thru this whole thread and not entirely sure of the relevance altogether, but fwiw:

I believe Kaine mentioned in his list of non-scripts that Terri was taking Fat Burners and other OTCs, in larger quantities than indicated on the label, and NOT steroids.

Is there a link for that? I'm not being snarky or anything, I just had surgery and I am way behind and trying to catch up.

Hope all went well with your surgery and you are on the mend. There is a lot to catch up on. I read some everyday and have since you were gone and it was hard to keep up even every day.

I don't know much about the weight loss and BB business, so I will learn a lot as this thread progresses. I personally don't have any links for you, but we have quite a group of sleuthers here, so you should have your answer(s) shortly.

Get well soon!

ps I've never seen a snarky post from you to anyone. :)

I am totally impressed with Terri's dedication to get her body into the shape it was and be in a body building competition. Totally awesome in my book.

Well I know they are saying she lost 60 pounds or in four months.

I don't really have a problem with that, I know it wouldn't be easy. And would be even harder for a woman of 35 years, not so bad for someone in their 20s.

But IMO she didn't just lose 60 pounds of fat. She lost about 80, and gained 20 pounds of muscle.

She was either exaggerating about the shortness of the time frame in which she lost this, or Kaine is mistaken.

I'm betting this took her longer than four months, I'm sorry. But it must have been a huge accomplishment for her. I'm just saying that she is exaggerating. I also think she was exaggerating about how much the attorney fee was.

Kaine is the one who released this information; he was living with her at the time and so was able to observe the weight loss, and I see nowhere that Terri has spoken about it at all, so how is it her exaggeration?

Well I know they are saying she lost 60 pounds or in four months.

I don't really have a problem with that, I know it wouldn't be easy. And would be even harder for a woman of 35 years, not so bad for someone in their 20s.

But IMO she didn't just lose 60 pounds of fat. She lost about 80, and gained 20 pounds of muscle.

She was either exaggerating about the shortness of the time frame in which she lost this, or Kaine is mistaken.

I'm betting this took her longer than four months, I'm sorry. But it must have been a huge accomplishment for her. I'm just saying that she is exaggerating. I also think she was exaggerating about how much the attorney fee was.

I have come to the conclusion I really don't know who is exaggerating in this case but I am convinced exaggerations ARE going on.

IMO

Th was a woman that took pride in a well toned body......we see that in photos.
Even when baby K was tiny, TH looked good.
Could T have depression from body image?
I do sometimes myself.
But the recent pics show TH with no real hair style, weight gain.
To me it shows allot of depression.
Mix depression with any diet aids and booze and PPD meds and I see a ticking time bomb.
Add unhappy marriage, no affection, a teethig baby and an active 7 year old with very little help.
I also read that TH HAD to do the drive that night to hand Kyron over to DY.
Was the pressure just building up inside of her?
JMOO

Is there a link for that? I'm not being snarky or anything, I just had surgery and I am way behind and trying to catch up.

Listening to the interview with DY and KH ....................inside this thread

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110413"]Audio interview 7/27/10 with Kaine & Desiree - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Kaine is the one who released this information; he was living with her at the time and so was able to observe the weight loss, and I see nowhere that Terri has spoken about it at all, so how is it her exaggeration?

You don't understand what I meant, I'm sorry.

I'm saying the information came from Kaine. He is either wrong about the time frame by his own guess of how long it took, or he is only referencing the time frame by having heard her reference it in the past. Which is why I said he was either mistaken, or she was exaggerating. I hear people exaggerating about past weight loss all the time, really its not a big deal :( I have one friend who lost twenty pounds one summer ten years ago.. but to hear her tell it now.. she lost over 100 pounds and worked at it the entire year.

Sowwy

so in short, she was last place in the Master's Bodybuilding Women competition? Now it doesn't sound that impressive ;)

MOO

Mel

In her category. Probably 35+. Not surprising, because there is a lot less interest at this level, but also shows us that there are women out there over 35 who are in even better shape than Terri was.

My cousin is a personal trainer who occasionally competes. She is just now 35, has come in 2nd twice in the under 35, and has twins at home! The last girl who beat her was 18.

I know that when she is in training (not more than 4 months ahead, for sure) she is a fanatic about working out and eating an incredibly strict diet.

When she is not training, including the night after the competition, she is inhaling beer and oreos. She always works out and looks good, but the difference in her body in a short time is amazing.

I will also say that a friend and I started walking and doing the Jillian Michaels diet last August. My friend lost 60lbs by Christmas. Now, she didn't look like Terri in the muscle dept., but she also wasn't devoting herself to toning and sculpting. With even an extra hour a day I think she probably could have - her body changed dramatically in 4 months just with that effort. Not to minimize her work, but she wasn't spending all day at the gym or totally depriving herself. So what Terri did is definitely possible without drugs.

The competition was probably just a goal - kind of like my friend wanting to do a 10K. After it was over, she may have cut back on the fanatical working out, especially when she got pg. And after Baby K was born, I can totally see trying to get back in the routine every so often, but it's hard with a baby and there are always a million other things to do.

Personally I think this whole bodybuilding/weight loss thing is a giant red herring that has nothing to do with anything (except to show why Terri might feel more calm and in control after a workout). Just my :twocents:

I am going to try some of these diet techniques as sitting here on the computer hasn't been helpful.

Anyway, Kaine must have fallen in love with Terri when she was chunky. I think that is interesting.

I'm just saying that she is exaggerating. I also think she was exaggerating about how much the attorney fee was.

I think you're right. I think she was probably "very vocal" about the accomplishment (exaggerated version) and Kaine took it at face value, as he seemed to take everything else she said. (He really seemed to have trusted her word for things in the past.) I think that would explain why he was so specific about the numbers before and after--it was actually 62 pounds, IIRC. Kaine didn't know her exact height, didn't know what medicine she was on, etc. So I don't think he would have memorized the exact numbers on the scale. I think it was story she told over many times. JMO

Didn't read thru this whole thread and not entirely sure of the relevance altogether, but fwiw:

I believe Kaine mentioned in his list of non-scripts that Terri was taking Fat Burners and other OTCs, in larger quantities than indicated on the label, and NOT steroids.

Re: Fat burners

I purchased two types of fat burners: Metabo 925 and Metabo UltraMax
and oh my goodness I tried them by taking 1 a day and I've never in all my life had headaches like I experienced with them. I was on them for 1 week and that was the end of my experience.

I can't imagine anyone taking a larger quantity of them.
Perhaps that's why Terri was taking aspirn etc ( as Kaine stated:waitasec:)

IMO, if you work out hard, and expend more calories than you take in, you'll lose weight, especially if you are fanatical about it. I lost 30 lbs between December of last year and March of this year, just from changing my eating habits, and spending an hour a day on the treadmill and taking lots of long hikes. If she was working out heavy and eating correctly, I can see losing the 60 lbs, probably at the expense of time for anything else. Probably stimulants, like a lot of caffiene for doing all the heavy workouts, and aspirin/ibuprofen for recovery.

IMHO, she looks very good in the competition pictures. It's a good balance and not hugely overdone like you see in the bodybuilding world these days. I can totally believe it was done naturally with a lot of work. I'm gonna guess it was done to the exclusion of everything else in her life, though.

I agree. You can also bulk up fast without steroids by doing LOTS of weight work EVERYDAY.

Some years back, at the age of 31, I got obsessed with getting rid of bit of cellulite that I had. I followed a strict anti cellulite diet of very low fat/no processed foods, with no caffeine at all, and began doing an amazing (to me now) fitness routine. I race walked for one hour every day. I either did water aerobics or a dance class every day at a fitness center in the community I lived in. Then I decided to start doing weights because I bought a fancy weight set up from a neighbor who needed the money. I was working the weights alone with minimal instruction from a book. I did 40 minutes a day.

After 3 - 4 weeks my arms were awesome, tight hard and looked great. Cellulite was gone. I was never going to stop this, then I started noticing my upper arms, and thighs were starting to look like body builders which is NOT what I was going for. My chest was changing. This was on 40 minutes a day. If Terri was doing a couple hours a day, I could really see her getting to her competition figure in the four months. Thankfully, I was griping about this one night with some friends and one of the guys worked at Gold's Gym. He told me I was doing it with the daily workout (weights) and to back it down to 3 days a week, but, after a two week total stoppage of weights. I did, and after just a week the bulking up started to go. But it was hard not touching the weights, cause I had gotten to love them.

I lost a lot of weight - from 155 to 110 within 3 months (I am almost 5'9" so 110 is pretty thin for me.)

A couple years after starting this, due to an accident I abruptly stopped all exercise. It took some months to recover from the accident and after a couple months of stopping the 2 hours plus a day,the muscle tone went quickly, I started really gaining weight, and began having major other health issues, compounded shortly thereafter with a pregnancy and some major issues with that, ultimately being diagnosed with fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue. One of my doctors told me that people have the gene for this, but something has to trigger this and one thing thought to could be abrupt stopping of being very active.

When I look at look at Terry I wonder.

Ephedrine, Aspirin and caffeine pills are what are called “ECA stack” in Body building communities.

ECA Stack is taken 3 times a day, 25 mg of ephedrine, 200 mg of caffeine and 325 mg of Aspirin.

Very dangerous but legal.

Ephedrine- Side Effects are Nervous system: restlessness, confusion, insomnia, mild euphoria, mania/hallucinations, delusions, formication, paranoia, hostility, panic, agitation

Weight loss is drastic but the second you stop taking it the weight comes back double full.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix
Back