The garrote points to........

Well.............

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/12/10/48hours/main660314.shtml

image660446g.jpg

At 13, Smith was at the center of a media storm. His redheaded looks, and his age, were so completely at odds with his horrific crime that he almost got away with murder.

-------------

Smith attracted Robie to a remote location in a park. There Smith strangled Robie, dropped a pair of large rocks on the boy’s head, undressed his body, and sodomized him with a tree limb. The cause of death was determined to be blunt trauma to the head with contributing asphyxia. Two days after Robie's funeral, Smith admitted to Robie's killing. In 1994 Smith was convicted of second-degree murder and sentenced to the maximum term then available for juvenile murderers — a minimum of nine years to life in prison.

Looks like Eric Smith is still locked up and will not be up for parole again until 2014.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Smith_(murderer)

It's been many years since I've looked at this case. Today i happened to see one of the films made about it. Amazing how all of the details came back to me.

I agree with LE it does seem that PR wrote that note.
The strange behavior of PR and JR after the body was found really wreaked of something being wrong. The film seemed to contain a lot of details as I recall them.
The Lou Smit character portrayed by Kris Kristofferson affirmed that there were puncture marks on her neck and that appeared to be from a stun gun.
Has that ever been emphatically disproven?
Since PR insisted that JBR was asleep and ate nothing after dinner, this would mean that even if PR were the killer or at least involved in the cover up, she did not know that JBR had eaten the pineapple. Clearly JBR was up and awake. If she were being kidnapped, it would seem strange that a kidnapper would take her to the kitchen to eat pineapple. The pineapple is also inconsistent with the Stun Gun - kidnapping idea. It's the one part of the film where I didn't understand why the LE didn't throw that back at Lou Smit so he would back off. Because it basically destroys his theory. He also was certain a kidnapper entered through the basement window even though spider webs were undisturbed. But he had the idea the kidnapper went in that way to avoid the alarm but could not get JBR out that way. That makes no sense. First of all it would be obvious if the alarm was armed. Next, JR said the alarm was not armed so a kidnapper could just walk right out the door. It's also a bad theory that someone would come in to kidnap but then change their mind and instead murder and flee, while still leaving the note.
The SCREAM always bothered me as being so loud a neighbor heard it but not any of the Ramsey's... No way that many people in a house, a girl screams that loud and no one at all hears it, while instead a neighbor hears it.
LE thought it was BR in the background on the 911 call. Has that ever been ruled in or out conclusively? FBI should be able to clearly identify the voice pattern as being someone in the house vs. interference, and probably the age and gender if not exact match of the voiceprint. If BR was definitely awake, when that call was made, clearly the R's were covering up.
It's my understanding that the vaginal bruising was old, not necessarily occurring as part of her death. There was blood found on her leg, but I'm not recalling whose blood? I'm assuming it was her blood or that would have been the most important thing in the case. But what part of her body did the blood come from? Does anyone know?
It's been said that JBR wet the bed frequently. But from the approximate time the R's got home to the time she was up eating Pineapple it was something like only 2 hrs, correct? It seems unlikely that she wet the bed that rapidly and was wide awake.
Kids often fake sleep so they can be carried in. I have a feeling that JBR was not fully asleep as she was put to bed. PR says she changed JBR's clothes into night clothes and put her to bed. She said that children regularly sleep through such things.
Seems very likely to me that JBR was not fully asleep at that point, but may have pretended to be. She obviously was fully awake and eating a short time later.
The question is, who else was with her.
Also, could not imagine searching every inch of your own home in such a scenario.
The weird way that it took so long before JBR's body was discovered is very hard to fathom. Why would anyone accept such a bizarre note at face value. JR was far to intelligent for that. PR should have been too, but then I think she wrote the note.
So...

working with the following:
1) PR wrote the note
2) BR was awake during the 911 call
3) there was no entry through the basement window
4) JBR was awake probably just before midnight eating pineapple
5) There was a scream so loud a neighbor heard it.
6) R's were uncooperative and fled Boulder as soon as possible.

So like LE and most people, it seems that the R's had something to do with this, at least a cover up of some sort. I don't know if the Santa Guy was fully cleared, but don't see why PR would write a note to cover for him.

what about the Garotte being used to cover up other marks on her neck? Like maybe being strangled with hands or something else?
If the blood on JBR's leg came from her head, how did it get on her leg? It was a smear.
that is like someone had touched her head and then moved her.
I don't recall the R's ever explaining why that huge flashlight was sitting there in the kitchen.

So, here's my gut feel, have at it:

JBR was not asleep or was awakened by being changed and put to bed. She sat there awake and may have decided to sneak downstairs. It's possible that BR woke her up and they went together or the other way around. At some point either an accident from horsing around, a push, a fall, JBR Screams and hits her head. This wakes up PR who comes down to find JBR unconscious and not breathing. But BR is there and she makes him go straight to bed. She is having split second thinking here... JBR is dead! BR will be blamed! Our life is down the tubes! OMG! She has to protect BR, and is yet freaked out about JBR. She goes and gets JR. JR confirms that JBR is dead and quickly decide that they must cover this up else they will be blamed for abuse, etc...
The Garotte points more to a male than a female. But the note points to PR. At first I thought PR would have done all of this so that JR would not leave her, but it seems possible that JR was complicit in the cover up and only because BR was present or directly involved. If BR was not involved and JBR fell off of something accidentally, or was in an altercation with PR, then I think PR would have done all of this herself. I think because of the Garotte that it involved JR and PR. Most likely because BR or even someone else in the house was involved. JBR's death may not have been a malicious act, but the cover up may have been made to look that way.

Imagine how the R's life would have gone if instead JBR were just lying there with head trauma and they called 911 at midnight. Accident or not, people and LE would think the worst. I can see a motive for cover up. And no one more than PR knew how to stage things. And I could see (reluctantly) how JR could have been sucked into such a scheme. The fact is, he married such a woman.

Keep in mind that Smit was not present at the autopsy and never viewed her body and has put out MUCH false info on this case. There were NO puncture marks on her anywhere. NONE. The coroner who actually DID the autopsy noted those marks as abrasions and did not attribute them to a stun gun. The head wound did NOT break the skin. As horrible as that cracked skull looks in the autopsy photos, the scalp was not broken and it did not bleed externally. The back of the legs showed some minor scrapes. But if you mean the blood that the coroner found had been wiped from her thighs and pubic area, that came from her vagina- where blood was also found. ALL blood found in or on JB and her clothing was her own.
I do not recall from that movie Smit mentioning puncture marks, as there were none and that movie is taken from Schiller's book of the same name "Perfect Murder, Perfect Town". I'll have to watch it again.
The position of the body was also not portrayed accurately in that movie (which I have seen and own a copy of), and a mannequin was used for JB's corpse so as not to traumatize the little actress portraying JB.

Remember- this was a MOVIE. Not everything is presented word for word as it was in reality.

I always believed that Burke did this with an older friend of him...

Any other theory just doesnt fit with the evidence in my opinion. I believe that he told some kids about her sister, "what he can do to her. How he plays with her", etc...
A 12-15 year old kid got interested and they somehow arranged something. "Burke" let him in in the basement and somehow this went really bad.

I also believe that Burke wrote the ransom note, which was dictated by that other individual, which was with him. When i first read the ransom note, i immediately thought that it was written by some kid and never changed my mind. I mean cmon...just read it.

Thats the only theory i can think off, where everything fits reasonably. Every other theory has to much flaws in my opinion.

(There is also a possibility that the individual which was with burke that night, was his brother.) That i also could except...

But as i said, every other theory has to much flaws in my opinion.
------

Either that is what happened, or its very close to that scenery. IMO

A 12-15 yr old didn't write that ransom note.

A 12-15 yr. old wouldn't use 'attaché', gentlemen watching over your daughter, fat cats, good old' southern common sense (adult Ramsey inside joke), proper burial, and wouldn't care about 'respecting your business'...

One of Burke's friends is not going to care to sit there and write a ransom note at all.... much less a 3-pg. one after numerous practice notes...

He's going to get the hell out of there after their stunt went wrong.

Perhaps u should read it again...

A 12-15 yr old didn't write that ransom note.

A 12-15 yr. old wouldn't use 'attaché', gentlemen watching over your daughter, fat cats, good old' southern common sense (adult Ramsey inside joke), proper burial, and wouldn't care about 'respecting your business'...

One of Burke's friends is not going to care to sit there and write a ransom note at all.... much less a 3-pg. one after numerous practice notes...

He's going to get the hell out of there after their stunt went wrong.

Perhaps u should read it again...

I said Burke wrote the note and it was dictated by a 12-15year old acquaintance of him. Or lets say he helped him write it.

12-15 yr. old wouldn't use 'attaché', gentlemen watching over your daughter, fat cats, good old' southern common sense (adult Ramsey inside joke), proper burial, and wouldn't care about 'respecting your business'.

It seems all so forced mature, that this is one of the things what points to a kid.
and yes, i do think that a 13/14/15 year old kid could have dictated it. You think they still learn the "ABC" in school? no, they write articels on a daily bases.

the inside joke and the 118k$ mentioned makes it even more likely, that "Burke" wrote the note(with help).

I tell you who dont write a silly 3pg. long ransome note. Some educated mature person who want to point the finger elswhere.

But such a silly note is what i would expect from some kid, who tries really hard to dictate a mature and believable letter.

------

Only other explanation for the phony staging would be, Patsy was drunk and did it all alone.

I said Burke wrote the note and it was dictated by a 12-15year old acquaintance of him. Or lets say he helped him write it.

It seems all so forced mature, that this is one of the things what points to a kid.
and yes, i do think that a 13/14/15 year old kid could have dictated it. You think they still learn the "ABC" in school? no, they write articels on a daily bases.

the inside joke and the 118k$ mentioned makes it even more likely, that "Burke" wrote the note(with help).

I tell you who dont write a silly 3pg. long ransome note. Some educated mature person who want to point the finger elswhere.

But such a silly note is what i would expect from some kid, who tries really hard to dictate a mature and believable letter.

------

Only other explanation for the phony staging would be, Patsy was drunk and did it all alone.

I know what you said.
No.

I don't think a 9-year-old would know what a garotte is or how it's used.

I don't think a 9-year-old would know what a garotte is or how it's used.

Maybe not, but THIS was not an actual garrote. The word "garrote" was never used by the coroner, it was Lou Smit who coined the expression, I believe.
This was a ligature- a cord wound multiple times around her neck- and that is all it was. Despite all the eager posturing by the Rs and their team, it was not a garrote.

To me the only thing the garrote represents is staging, and to me that points to covering up for someone they care about..BDI

Why strangle her if she was already unconscious. A kid might jab her with the train track thinking she was faking and then run off when she didn' t wake up. I have to won der if jonbenet was even able to scream after the head in jury and would like to know how kolar believes the sequence of events happened. If he believes the vaginal assault happened after or right before the garrotte. Does he believe the attacker inflicted that sexual assault or was it really staging? Also i thought the cord was put around her neck then pulled with the handle which strangled.

Why strangle her if she was already unconscious. A kid might jab her with the train track thinking she was faking and then run off when she didn' t wake up. I have to won der if jonbenet was even able to scream after the head in jury and would like to know how kolar believes the sequence of events happened. If he believes the vaginal assault happened after or right before the garrotte. Does he believe the attacker inflicted that sexual assault or was it really staging? Also i thought the cord was put around her neck then pulled with the handle which strangled.

txsvicki,
Precisely what took place we might never know. But if its BDI, then I reckon much of how JonBenet is presented, is the parents take on a staged crime-scene, and its really JonBenet who recieves most of the attention.

Assuming that you do not stage a crime-scene simply because your daughter or sister fell down the stairs, then the sexual assault came first.

It might even be, something I suspect, that the bleeding is a secondary injury intended to mask the original sexual assault?

Similarly with the ligature and paintbrush handle, the handle was likely added after JonBenet had already been strangled, but not yet killed?

Same with some of her clothes, these were added after she was assaulted, not before, she was probably naked from the waist down, hence the size-12's and longjohns.

Same with the restraints and duct-tape, all ineffectual as restraints, but added for show.

My guess at the sequence of events is:

1. Sexual assault.

2. asphyxiation.

3. Head blow.

4. Ligature strangulation.

5. Piece of paintbrush handle inserted internally.

And steps 3. 4. and 5. might simply represent staging after the fact?

txsvicki,

My guess at the sequence of events is:

1. Sexual assault.

2. asphyxiation.

3. Head blow.

4. Ligature strangulation.

5. Piece of paintbrush handle inserted internally.

And steps 3. 4. and 5. might simply represent staging after the fact?

IMO, step 3 is NOT part of the staging....

IMO, step 3 is NOT part of the staging....

OpenMind4U,
It might not be, then again why not? After all JonBenet as presented in the wine-cellar is all staged, so why not a failed attempt at staging a head injury, that was abandonded because it was not visible?

UKGuy, are you forgetting that the evidence has suggested the headbash came first and/or close to the same time as the strangulation?

Probably the first or main cause of death in the first place.

Cause of death is the head bash combined with strangulation/asphyxiation.

If that's what killed her, that's not really staging, now is it?

Oh, "AND HENCE".

How could I forget that one too?

Your 12-15 year old suspect did not write "AND HENCE an earlier delivery of your daughter"....

And Hence, Trustice.

Seriously, no.

OpenMind4U,
It might not be, then again why not? After all JonBenet as presented in the wine-cellar is all staged, so why not a failed attempt at staging a head injury, that was abandonded because it was not visible?

With all due respect, IMO, the need for 'staging' is to re-direct the cause to something else, kind of psedo-cause. And based on the new evidence from Kolar's book, the estimated time between CAUSE #1 the head blow (which didn't kill JBR) and CAUSE #2 - the strengulation! - is 90 min = 1 1/2 hours apart!!! And like you pointed out, the head injury wasn't visible: means killer wouldn't have knowledge of the actual impact of his action, right? Except seeing that JBR is not responsive, almost not breathing, looks-like dead. Agree?So, why wait for 1 1/2 hours to apply strengulation 'cause'??? Therefore, to me, every step follows the head injury was made to convince that cause of her death is something else. HENCE, strangulation with sexual assult....the 'staging' phase. Just MO.

Starting with PMPT, ST book and all other books and articles - this case is full of 'holes', mistakes, turns and twists. And everyone takes their own view and logics to mentally solve this mystery. For me, only few facts are fundamentals: the RN (not who wrote it but HOW/the MANNER in which it was written), the chronic sexual abuse and the gap of time between the head blow and the 'staging'.

UKGuy, are you forgetting that the evidence has suggested the headbash came first and/or close to the same time as the strangulation?

Probably the first or main cause of death in the first place.

Cause of death is the head bash combined with strangulation/asphyxiation.

If that's what killed her, that's not really staging, now is it?

But Kolar said that JonBenet died 90 minutes** after the head blow. I thought that meant that it took 90 minutes before she was strangled. So how could the strangulation happened close to the same time as the head blow?

***I think 90 minutes was the correct time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C7173
Back