The Lights are OUT!

Back on computer and still blue lights for everyone.

I changed to a different dial-up number AND I disabled my quik pop accelerator. Neither helped.

I'm about to throw in the towel and I am usually very persistent but I've been trying to fix this thing all dang day now.

Thank you everyone for trying to help me figure it out! :blowkiss:

Hello Liz, now that you've disabled the local quik pop accelerator that was caching sites for you can you please try clearing the internet explorer cache one more time, close your browser and then reopen it?

I know it's a pain in the behind but it sounds like your accelerator software could possibly be the culprit.
Back on computer and still blue lights for everyone.

I changed to a different dial-up number AND I disabled my quik pop accelerator. Neither helped.

I'm about to throw in the towel and I am usually very persistent but I've been trying to fix this thing all dang day now.

Thank you everyone for trying to help me figure it out! :blowkiss:

Liz,
Can you see this color?
I'm stumped too. IF your computer works like it's supposed to in every way possible but here, I'd just deal with it. :) I know...I'm not helpful.

hey blaize!:blowkiss:

Hey Philamena, we're all temporarily stumped with Liz's predicament.

Hello Liz, now that you've disabled the local quik pop accelerator that was caching sites for you can you please try clearing the internet explorer cache one more time, close your browser and then reopen it?

I know it's a pain in the behind but it sounds like your accelerator software could possibly be the culprit.

BINGO, Blaize!
That did the trick!!!!

:woohoo:

Thank YOU and everyone who helped! :blowkiss:

Course I'm crawling now ... fraid to enable the accelerator!

Is there a way to clear out the accelerator's cache or does it depend on IE. If it reads from IE you can enable it again and it should be ok.

Check the quik pop preferences and you might be able to find a setting that tells it to check for new pages every few hours or so.

Glad we finally got it sorted out Liz and hope we can make your accelerator behave now.

Should be safe to turn it back on now, assuming that turning it off cleared it's cache.

I turned it back on already and everything's fine. I wonder if it cleared since I had it off. I can clear it manually. Don't tell me that's all it would've taken?
Thanks to you for thinking of that, ! :) I never would've guessed!!

ETA still crawling at a snail's pace. Sumpin must be off, somewhere. Unless WS is just going really really slow tonight.

Umm I think that's all it might've taken lol.

Edited to add that the accelerator has to save everything again that's why it's crawling now.

I turned it back on already and everything's fine. I wonder if it cleared since I had it off. I can clear it manually. Don't tell me that's all it would've taken?
Thanks to you for thinking of that, ! :) I never would've guessed!!

Is there a way to clear out the accelerator's cache or does it depend on IE. If it reads from IE you can enable it again and it should be ok.

Check the quik pop preferences and you might be able to find a setting that tells it to check for new pages every few hours or so.

Glad we finally got it sorted out Liz and hope we can make your accelerator behave now.

I just realized there is a way to delete files in the accelerator. But it warns that it will slow down the acceleration time; but it will build back up again over time.

I don't think the accelerator cleared as it shows me going only 2/10 of a point slower than I usually go. Usually it's 19.1 and it's 18.9 right now.

Glad your computer is working fine now Liz.

blaize,
you and are good.

It's probably just checking this site at the moment Liz and saving changed files so hopefully it will do as it's told from now on because it knows you have your finger on the kill switch :crazy:.

I don't think the accelerator cleared as it shows me going only 2/10 of a point slower than I usually go. Usually it's 19.1 and it's 18.9 right now.

That would have done it.

Things are still a bit weird. I've got a new sidebar icon showing in my tool bar thingy. And my HP Total Care Advisor icon is there too. Never were before.

Oh and a windows defender icon, which I don't even think I should have running, as I use Norton. Or should I leave it running? My Norton is supposed to be all in one. Shouldn't it take care of everything?

Maybe in ten years I'll have this down pat! lol!

Glad your computer is working fine now Liz.

Thank you, sweetie!

blaize,
you and are good.

Yes, they are! Thank both of you geniuses for all your time and brain power in getting the green lights back for me! :blowkiss:

If I were you Liz I'd go with one or the other rather than having both running because both defender and norton are memory hogs. If you feel comfortable enough with the job that norton is doing I'd disable defender and see if things improve speed wise.

Things are still a bit weird. I've got a new sidebar icon showing in my tool bar thingy. And my HP Total Care Advisor icon is there too. Never were before.

Oh and a windows defender icon, which I don't even think I should have running, as I use Norton. Or should I leave it running? My Norton is supposed to be all in one. Shouldn't it take care of everything?

Maybe in ten years I'll have this down pat! lol!

I know a friend of ours have two firewalls and they were fighting each other for control of his computer. All the computer geeks around here never could figure it out. Eventually our friend, the non-geek, figured it out.

I didn't like my Norton UNTIL I got the add-on pack a couple months back. Now I LOVE it. It seems great for an old non-techie person like myself! And it seems faster since then, too. But I have heard its a hog!

I generally tell people to ditch Norton as it's a hog and a half, but that's just me.

What do you recommend using in it's place, ?

If it works for you, leave it alone.

I prefer AVG, but again, if you are not having performance issues with Nortone leave it alone.

I, myself, use nothing. I set up a firewall at my office, but the best thing I can do is train people not to go to sketchy sites and to NEVER open an attachment you did not request, even if it's from someone you know.

Never had a virus in over a decade, or more.

I just wanted your opinion, as I'm up for renewal in August October (forgot I got a 60 day free trial). I don't know if I'll get Norton next time or not. I've never heard of AVG but I probably haven't heard of a lot of stuff. The person that recommended Norton to me and raved about it --- 2 weeks later he was telling me how much it sucked and he switched to Trend Micro. Hah --- Couple weeks later, his computer crashed!

I'd never had a virus in over 10 years either. lol WebTv doesn't get viruses.
That's the beauty of it. Probably the only beauty. ;) I guess it's also nice that you can relax in your recliner and use your large screen tv as your puter screen too with WebTv. (This site was SUPER slow, compared to before the upgrades. Today was the 1st time I've used webtv to come here since.)

I don't usually open attachments unless I'm on my WebTv. And then half the time, I can't open them.

You must be a real brainiac, ! I'm glad that you are! :)

Thank you for ALL your help today. You really took a lot of time out for me! And, I really appreciate it!

Well, I was switching back and forth helping Windchime, Chicoliving and Christine2448 rearrange the Tara Grinstead forum, hence the delays.

I never noticed any delays!
Maybe because I was too busy pulling my hair out! ;)

I do all my stuff (except some stuff at the office) with one of these (older model, for now) - none of that Norton, etc. stuff. Just a thought!

Ah, that's what I really wanted. Except I was too chicken (or cheap) to spend the $2500+ and then have non-techie me, break it. DH gave me the go ahead but I was too afraid IF I had probs, no one would be able to help me! Everyone except my son that is, and he is not that techie!

Maybe next time! ;)

Course if I'd bought it then, I'd be crying because they'd come out with the Mac Book Air!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uncommongrackle
Back