The Ring/Jewelry

Me too. And I've thought since I first read about her insistance that her grandfather come get the ring that there must be something about it that makes it pertinent to the case. I'm just putting it out there... the ring may not have been all she got. How would the average non-jeweler even know if the ring was worth anything? Getting it from her GM may just be the explanation EJ gave her GF. Good chance he might not know if a GM had given it to her or not and even better chance that he wouldn't know the market value. BUT... it sent alarm bells to me that she was so frantic to have him come get it! I also think she probably received other compensation too. Giving up G would be enough for mostr of us but she was also going to give up her identity and her remaining family. I feel like there had to be more offered than simply a ring that EJ had no known proof or worth other than these people assigning a value to.

If LE knew there was such a ring though, worth that sort of $$, wouldn't it be kept for evidence and not allowed to go home with the GF?

That's what I'm wondering. I'm not sure LE checked the value of the ring.

Jobless girl has no money in Tempe on Dec 18. Had to sell dogs, rent out room, etc, just to scrounge together $1,200.

Girl shows up less than 2 weeks later in FL with a $20,000 ring and no baby.

2 + 2 does not = search a landfill to me.

I can't wait for confirmation on this. Not a snippet of he said, she said in an article, but real confirmation.

Would it have been allowed to go home with the grandfather, if it exists and was thought at any point to be potential evidence? When did they have it appraised to determine it's value and actual make-up?

Well this is certainly interesting news about the ring.. I would think a ring of that value would be able to be traced, however it is probally a long shot. Unless it is a specific piece that perhaps a jewler sales retail that has already been made when it reaches the store it will be hard to trace. The wedding ring my husband bought for me was made there at the jewlery store, he picked the setting and the diamonds he wanted in them making it unique in its own way, but you could not trace it back to the jewler.

I think that is why you see alot of jewlery at Pawn Shops and such, it is easy to steal and not really traceable ....

The day EJ had the babysitter at the hotel , she could have had an appointment to pick up the ring and have it appraised at a jewlery shop...didn't she make the comment to the babysitter that she had alot of money or just recieved alot of money, something of the sort ? If she did have it appraised I hope LE is going door to door to jewlery shops around San Antonio with her picture ...

I understood from the News interview with the GF, that EJ's call to him was to get him to pick these items up from her at the jail. His comments were made the same day that he was not allowed to go into the jail to visit EJ.

EJ said to the babysitter that she had "come into some money."

I am sure I saw a news video with the GF (he was wearing a white sweater on this day) and he explained that she really wanted him to come pick up a ring that she had which had belonged to her GM. it was the day he was turned away from the Jail and not allowed tosee her. I'll look and see if I can find the link.

chell and mysticrose, could we have a link to the source reference for the babysitter saying EJ said she had come into money please? Someone mentioned it yesterday, and I searched and couldn't find it.

chell, could we have a link for the grandfather being unable to visit please?

TayJay mentions EJ selling jewelry on NG:

Aired January 13, 2010

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1001/13/ng.01.html

SMITH: I asked her that. She told me that when she left she had $2,000. She sold jewelry, her laptop computer, her dogs. She got $400 for rent and she got a check. I asked her if these people even -- I said, well, did the people even give you money to compensate for the trip that you had to make? And she said no.

Gosh, I don't remember seeing this. Thanks for posting, BeanE. :blowkiss:

That whole statement is rubbing me the wrong way. EJ has always led us to believe that giving the baby away was kind of a spur of the moment thing and she randomly met a couple in San Antonio. I know that many of us believe it wasn't so random. But it strikes me as very hinky that TPS seems to be saying that EJ should have received compensation for the trip she had to make. If EJ made that trip with other idea's/plans in mind (as both she and TPS have always claimed) then why should she expect compensation for the "trip she had to make"?

Members and guests come to Websleuths for reliable info on the cases we sleuth. Let's stick to using established media, court documents, LE reports and so forth for source references rather than blogs.

If there's something particularly useful in a blog and it appears credible, and the info isn't available in news or court docs, let's take a look at it on a case-by-case basis.

Feel free to PM me or JBean, or post questions in the Threadiquette thread any time!

Thanks!
BeanE

I agree that jewelry of that value would most likely be insured or appraised. Can anyone tell me how LE might reach out to insurance companies or jewelers with this information? It seems like it would be a huge undertaking, since they do not know an area to concentrate on. Is it possible a ring like that would have some unique identifying markers? I'm not that familiar with $20,000 jewelry pieces!

I hope LE has a good reason for not releasing pics/info about this ring. I am no expert on jewelry, and personally, I have no interest in huge or overly expensive jewelry. But my thinking is this.
1. I would wager a guess that a $20K ring would be somewhat of an original. Who wants to pay $20K for a ring that any other woman could own? JMO
2. As Boo Scout said, I think there is a good chance this ring has unique identifiers, and that a jewelry appraiser(sp?) or insurer would be able to recognize it.
3. I would also wager a guess that if someone owned a ring like this, there is a good chance that people have seen it on them, and close friends or family may know exactly who it belonged to.
4. It's possible the ring was just purchased as a way to give EJ payment without using any form of cash or checks, etc, that would be trackable. Is there a way to find out from local San Antonio Jewelry stores if such a purchase was made in mid to late December?

The diamond in my wedding ring is coded. I remember seeing the number when looking at the clarity. Not only that there is a number inside the band. If the ring is worth that much it seems like it would be coded and able to be traced back to where it was purchased and the buyer. When I take my ring in to get cleaned they check the code to confirm it was purchased there.

Are we sure the Grandpa was allowed to pick it up? I don't understand how LE could miss any possible form of payment.

This particular ring may not be coded but it's possible especially if she didn't want to carry the cash and they went and purchased the ring recently. This is recent technology. Information on laser codes for diamonds or other gemstones:

Advances in micro laser technology in the past five years have made it possible to safely inscribe almost anything on a diamond or other gemstone, from personal messages to brand names, grading report numbers, bar codes and even photographs. In addition to personalizing a diamond, laser inscription can facilitate identification for security and tracking purposes. Typically diamond inscriptions are grading report numbers, brand names, logos or other data to aid in identification and tracking.

Just speculating here, but if EJ was eager for her GF to get the jewelry, then that may be why the GF was not "allowed" to see her that day he went there with EJ's brother? And, at that point LE may have looked at the ring further? My $ is on LM's comment after meeting with SAPD that "they are doing more than anyone knows," which further makes me think they have looked into the source/history of the ring/stones. JMHO. :)

That's what I'm wondering. I'm not sure LE checked the value of the ring.

Jobless girl has no money in Tempe on Dec 18. Had to sell dogs, rent out room, etc, just to scrounge together $1,200.

Girl shows up less than 2 weeks later in FL with a $20,000 ring and no baby.

2 + 2 does not = search a landfill to me.

I wonder if LE was getting pressure to do the landfill search, so much so that they had to do it....especially since they couldn't/havn't revealed any information regarding an illegal selling. I imagine their search for the source of the ring either deadended, or got so close they need a little more evidence for charges and such...thus the landfill dig?

OT, but will someone tell me when my head will stop spinning in this case? :innocent:

I agree with the thoughts that a $20,000 ring is likely not going to be mass produced, and is most likely one-of-a-kind or few of a kind, and should be relatively easy to trace the source.

chell and mysticrose, could we have a link to the source reference for the babysitter saying EJ said she had come into money please? Someone mentioned it yesterday, and I searched and couldn't find it.

chell, could we have a link for the grandfather being unable to visit please?

Snipped:

The brother of Elizabeth Johnson, jailed since her son Gabriel went missing around Christmas, was denied a jail house visit Thursday...

Robert Johnson showed up for the visit with his grandfather Bob Johnson. The elder Johnson said they were there to support Elizabeth but also to try to get her to come clean.

http://www.kpho.com/baby-gabriel-johnson/22242288/detail.html

Her GF did visit her on 1/18. She called him on Saturday, Jan. 16.

Snipped:

The two only spoke for a couple of minutes, talking about items she wanted him to pick up from jail. Johnson asked her grandfather to pick up the $300 she had when she was arrested in Florida, as well as an expensive ring she said she was wearing.

http://www.kpho.com/news/22256806/detail.html

Do we know if he was able to pick up the ring??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back