The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The following is from my partner in Springfield. This is in reference to the Hulston Cancer Center Parking Garage...

From Kathee Baird - Friday, 9/1/06 - Yes, it is true that the Greene County Prosecutor's office, as well as the Springfield police department (i.e. Cpl. Greg Higdon) have seen and are in possession of the said video tape. The prosecutor's office has been receptive to everything that has been shared with them. Greg Higdon on the other hand has been dragging his feet. I am prepared to go over Cpl. Higdon's head as I have a call in to his direct supervisor, and am waiting to hear back from him. It has been almost five months now that the police department has known about the spot and continue to do nothing!!! It is an outrage....and quite frankly I am running out of patience. With the help of Alex, Ken and Bonnie as well as our GPR people we have done most of the Springfield police department's homework for them. The reason that we did not post anything earlier was that we wanted to work with the police, so that they were able to build as solid a case for conviction that they could and not turn this into a media circus for them. Oh well, they had their chance. I ask anyone who thinks that this spot needs to be looked at to call Cpl. Higdon at 417-864-1768, or you may e-mail me at meyer_news@hotmail.com. P.S. A friend of mine in the television media has a copy of the tape as well!!

Ken - anything new to report on progress? I live in Springfield and drive by Cox South every day on my way to and from work.

Hi Buddy,

A high ranking official has told us that he wants to have this lead resolved by the beginning of December. If everything falls into place, Christmas will be arriving early this year.

Ken

I followed this case very closely in 1992 as I lived in Springfield for some 26 years. I believe I may have some worthwhile contributions to offer. If there is anyone with personal knowledge of material facts I would be interested in knowing what they may be.

Without going into detail at this time, I would like to offer an informed opinion. This case will not be solved unless an outside experienced investigator is called into review the case. I base this assessment on my own experience with the Springfield Police Department at the time it was a "hot" case in 1992. I will flesh this out in later posts if this thread further develops as I hope it will.

As I said, I would have opined previously but did not know of this on-going discussion here. Looks like it offers some hope when all hope appears lost.

I will offer this information right now. Two of my co-workers were customers of Sheryl Levitt up to the time of her dissappearance. One had her hair done just two days prior to the abduction. There was nothing in her demeanor that would indicate there was any issues on-going.

As I said, this case will not be solved by the Springfield Police Department and I have some serious doubts about the Prosecuting Attorney's office as well. I also base that on personal experience with a part of that operation which at time was quite frustrating.

I'll leave it here for now.

Nothing new from the parking garage lead?

I'm in MO also, a couple hours from Springfield. My husband is there a couple times a week for his job.

Jodibug said:

I'm in MO also, a couple hours from Springfield. My husband is there a couple times a week for his job.
Around Cox South? Personally, I think that is a pipedream. The problem with the investigation is that there never was any direction to the investigation. They ignored or failed to follow up with real leads and suspects and sent everyone off on a wild goose chase with the van which was never proven to have actually occurred. It might have but it might not. But there were other certain leads that I personally know of.

There was a lot of friction and finger pointing between the police department, the FBI and any others who might have wanted to become involved. As I recall (and it has been 14 years ago), the Missouri Highway Patrol was told to butt out of the investigation.

This case is not going to be solved until it is pried loose from the Springfield Police Department and a private retired investigator or group who know how to work these cases goes over it with a fine toothed comb. I got very much involved in this case as an interested citizen and for my efforts was given the bum's rush by the detective in charge. So much for wanting citizen involvement.

Get some fresh eyes on this case. The Springfield Police Department will never solve this case. If I am wrong, and I hope I am wrong, I will be the first to congratulate anyone on that force who actually breaks the case. But I'm not holding my breath.

Jodibug said:

Hi Jodi,

The parking garage lead is still being followed up on. We should know something soon. There is alot going on behind the scenes that I can't talk about. We believe this lead will be more than worth the wait. Hang tight :)

Ken

Ken said:
Hi Jodi,

The parking garage lead is still being followed up on. We should know something soon. There is alot going on behind the scenes that I can't talk about. We believe this lead will be more than worth the wait. Hang tight :)

Ken
I hope you're right but I would be amazed if anything comes of it. If I were a betting man I would say we'll wait another 14 years before we know anything, if then. If Jimmy Hoffa hasn't be found in 30 years with all of the FBI's expertise what's to believe that the Springfield Police Department is going to suddenly solve this case? Although I don't live in Missouri right now, I still come from Missouri and I'll believe it when I see it. I want to be "shown" some results. Let us hope. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

I'm glad to see some discussion going on the forum again. I live in Springfield, too, and have most of my life - and, of course, paid great attention when the women disappeared and to the investigation. It reminds me of the Jon-Benet investigation - and reinforces how important it is for small town police departments to ask for help when faced with things like this. I mean, how often does something like this happen in Springfield, Missouri?

There was a lot of conflict and politics going on with the police department at that time (and it probably continues). Not to mention lack of experience - and they inherited a seriously contaminated crime scene and were called onto the scene later rather than sooner.

I knew the owner of the salon where Sheryl worked - not overly well, but better than an acquaintance. So it drew me in even more. I moved out of state the year following the disappearance and tried to keep up - but it seemed the investigation went nowhere fast. Now I'm back in Springfield - in fact I live just a few blocks from the Delmar address.

I would love to take a fresh look at things in this forum - what we know, what we don't - it never hurts to keep going at it - it's what keeps these cases fresh and keeps people pushing for answers.

BuddyMidwest said:
I'm glad to see some discussion going on the forum again. I live in Springfield, too, and have most of my life - and, of course, paid great attention when the women disappeared and to the investigation. It reminds me of the Jon-Benet investigation - and reinforces how important it is for small town police departments to ask for help when faced with things like this. I mean, how often does something like this happen in Springfield, Missouri?

There was a lot of conflict and politics going on with the police department at that time (and it probably continues). Not to mention lack of experience - and they inherited a seriously contaminated crime scene and were called onto the scene later rather than sooner.

I knew the owner of the salon where Sheryl worked - not overly well, but better than an acquaintance. So it drew me in even more. I moved out of state the year following the disappearance and tried to keep up - but it seemed the investigation went nowhere fast. Now I'm back in Springfield - in fact I live just a few blocks from the Delmar address.

I would love to take a fresh look at things in this forum - what we know, what we don't - it never hurts to keep going at it - it's what keeps these cases fresh and keeps people pushing for answers.
Two of the folks that went to her were my co-workers. One saw her just two days before the abductions where they discussed the pending graduations of their daughters.

Can anyone clear a question up for me? Did Cox work as a car salesman in Springfield? Somewhere I saw that posted and that was the first I have heard of it.

Missouri Mule - I've read that, too. Cox returned to Springfield after being released from jail in Florida. Apparently he listed his occupation as car salesman on a Missouri license application. Also worked for a time with Stacy McCall's father.

He definitely seems to be a man of opportunity - not one to go out of his way seeking victims - but rather someone he's come in contact with. But he also doesn't seem the type to take on 3 at once and had never worked with partners - at least that has been discussed or published.

BuddyMidwest said:
Missouri Mule - I've read that, too. Cox returned to Springfield after being released from jail in Florida. Apparently he listed his occupation as car salesman on a Missouri license application. Also worked for a time with Stacy McCall's father.

He definitely seems to be a man of opportunity - not one to go out of his way seeking victims - but rather someone he's come in contact with. But he also doesn't seem the type to take on 3 at once and had never worked with partners - at least that has been discussed or published.
I think it has yet to be established that he actually worked with Mr. McCall. I know from personal knowledge that Mr. McCall worked at a local dealership because I saw him there. But I have no independent knowledge that Cox also worked there.

As an aside Cox is about 65 miles from where I live cooling his heels in the Lovelady, Texas "maximum" facility. He may be playing everyone for fools. Until I see something that ties him to this crime I am unconvinced he is the one who did it. However, it appears that he was a Springfield native and returned there so that is very interesting in and of itself.

The way this crime is going to be solved is by discovering the motive behind these abductions. Find the motive, solve the crime. And to find out any more about the case, pressure, great pressure, must bear on the Springfield Police Department to be more forthcoming or this case will just get colder still just like the Judge Crater case. They will be writing about this 75 years from now. We know more about the likely idenity of Jack the Ripper than we do about the perps who did this crime.

{The way this crime is going to be solved is by discovering the motive behind these abductions. Find the motive, solve the crime. And to find out any more about the case, pressure, great pressure, must bear on the Springfield Police Department to be more forthcoming or this case will just get colder still just like the Judge Crater case. They will be writing about this 75 years from now. We know more about the likely idenity of Jack the Ripper than we do about the perps who did this crime.}

I don't live in Missouri but I have been following this case for about the past 3 years. Besides checking on Websleuths I also check the Springfield News-Leader about once a week to see if there are any updates. I haven't read the past articles about this case in the Springfield newspaper for several months now, I just usually check the paper for any new developments. But it seems to me I remember reading at some point a possible motive could have been Suzanne Streeter's involvement with drugs or a connection to people selling drugs??

Has there ever been any other motive brought up in this case besides a possible drug connection?

Even with me being so far away from this geographically and not knowing the inner workings of the Springfield PD, it seems so frustrating that they haven't been able to move any farther with this case. I've read the letters in the paper that Cox apparently wrote to a reporter and I don't think he did it either, especially by himself. And I don't know what to make of the parking garage lead. I wish there was a cold case squad of retired LE officials or detectives who could take a new look at this and start at the beginning.

liz325 said:
{The way this crime is going to be solved is by discovering the motive behind these abductions. Find the motive, solve the crime. And to find out any more about the case, pressure, great pressure, must bear on the Springfield Police Department to be more forthcoming or this case will just get colder still just like the Judge Crater case. They will be writing about this 75 years from now. We know more about the likely idenity of Jack the Ripper than we do about the perps who did this crime.}

I don't live in Missouri but I have been following this case for about the past 3 years. Besides checking on Websleuths I also check the Springfield News-Leader about once a week to see if there are any updates. I haven't read the past articles about this case in the Springfield newspaper for several months now, I just usually check the paper for any new developments. But it seems to me I remember reading at some point a possible motive could have been Suzanne Streeter's involvement with drugs or a connection to people selling drugs??

Has there ever been any other motive brought up in this case besides a possible drug connection?

Even with me being so far away from this geographically and not knowing the inner workings of the Springfield PD, it seems so frustrating that they haven't been able to move any farther with this case. I've read the letters in the paper that Cox apparently wrote to a reporter and I don't think he did it either, especially by himself. And I don't know what to make of the parking garage lead. I wish there was a cold case squad of retired LE officials or detectives who could take a new look at this and start at the beginning.
That was the speculation from the beginning. But it has never been definitively established. What I do know is that the investigation was a mess from day one with interagency squabbling that hampered the investigation. Additionally, the van business has never been established to be a fact. We could all have been sent on a wild goose chase.

I couldn't agree with you more that a fresh look by retired detectives who would be given unrestricted access to the files would be a very good idea. This was the single most expensive operation in Springfield history and to hear them tell it they don't have a single clue of who did it or why it was done. I don't believe that for one second nor do I believe it was a random act.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Until the people of Springfield DEMAND some answers this case will not be solved. The files will have to be opened up to retired or private investigators who can reexamine all of the information. It will take a month or more just to make the case file comprehensible. One of the things that has plagued this case from the beginning has been that there is too much information; not enough. But the department dropped the ball and jealousies developed and it was held close to the vest. If my memory serves me correctly, the Missouri Highway Patrol was told to butt out. The FBI was involved but as we know the cooperation between local police departments and the FBI are often strained to being non existent.

It has been said that certain people were ruled out at the beginning. We don't even know how that was done. Was it by lie detector tests? Those are not reliable as any competent lie detector expert would testify to. They are not allowed in court hearings. Handwriting is not reliable and now we are finding that fingerprints are not even totally reliable. The ONLY thing that is 100% reliable is DNA tests except in the case of identical twins. Do we know what evidence was even gathered at the crime scene and the DNA and other evidence? The answer is no. We do not. The Springfield people and the families have been kept in the dark to the present day. And most of it comes down to petty politics.

On a personal note I have a actual information regarding this case that I will not share in this forum but if interested parties were privy to it they would be outraged as I was at the time.

If I remember correctly, the mention of Cox working with Stuart McCall came out of an interview Cox did with KY3. I'm not sure if transcripts of that exist - would be interesting to review. The News-Leader used to have the articles on this case pulled together in a special report section - however, since they've changed the site layout, looks like it's no longer in the active section. You can still access the old archive section at the following link.

http://springfield.news-leader.com/specialreports/threemissingwomen/day1_cox.html will take you to one of the articles on Cox from the series and at the bottom you can access others. In all the coverage I've read, no real evidence is discussed - other than the broken globe on the porch light (not the actual light, just the globe), the blinds in Susie's bedroom being parted as if someone had looked outside, and the fact all three women's purses were stacked together on the stairs leading into Susie's bedroom. The problem is they didn't treat it as a crime scene. The police weren't notified until late the following evening and even then, they treated it as a disappearance, not an abduction.

I would like to hear what others think on motive. I've heard the rumored drug connection, too. There has been discussion surrounding a guy that Sheryl was apparently dating and I seem to remember discussion early on about a young man Suzie was or had dated. I don't believe Stacy McCall had a boyfriend at the time.

I can't believe it was random either. Obviously there was no forced entry, so someone convinced those in the house to let them in or at least open the door and then forced their way in. Would seem to make more sense that the mother was the target - if this was planned, then those responsible should have known the daughter wasn't planning to be there. If that's the case, how did they manage to gain control when surprised by the daughter and friend coming home unexpectedly?

But it looks like the girls had already been in the house for awhile before they were all taken - Stacy had changed out of her clothes and apparently they had washed their faces, etc., getting ready for bed. So it would have been obvious the mother, daughter and more were in the house - as all the cars were parked right out front.

Talk at the police department was that there was no organized follow up on leads. People were given bits of tasks to do - but there was no organized focus moving from one lead to another and piecing it all togther.

What's does everyone else think on motive?

BuddyMidwest said:
If I remember correctly, the mention of Cox working with Stuart McCall came out of an interview Cox did with KY3. I'm not sure if transcripts of that exist - would be interesting to review. The News-Leader used to have the articles on this case pulled together in a special report section - however, since they've changed the site layout, looks like it's no longer in the active section. You can still access the old archive section at the following link.

http://springfield.news-leader.com/specialreports/threemissingwomen/day1_cox.html will take you to one of the articles on Cox from the series and at the bottom you can access others. In all the coverage I've read, no real evidence is discussed - other than the broken globe on the porch light (not the actual light, just the globe), the blinds in Susie's bedroom being parted as if someone had looked outside, and the fact all three women's purses were stacked together on the stairs leading into Susie's bedroom. The problem is they didn't treat it as a crime scene. The police weren't notified until late the following evening and even then, they treated it as a disappearance, not an abduction.

I would like to hear what others think on motive. I've heard the rumored drug connection, too. There has been discussion surrounding a guy that Sheryl was apparently dating and I seem to remember discussion early on about a young man Suzie was or had dated. I don't believe Stacy McCall had a boyfriend at the time.

I can't believe it was random either. Obviously there was no forced entry, so someone convinced those in the house to let them in or at least open the door and then forced their way in. Would seem to make more sense that the mother was the target - if this was planned, then those responsible should have known the daughter wasn't planning to be there. If that's the case, how did they manage to gain control when surprised by the daughter and friend coming home unexpectedly?

But it looks like the girls had already been in the house for awhile before they were all taken - Stacy had changed out of her clothes and apparently they had washed their faces, etc., getting ready for bed. So it would have been obvious the mother, daughter and more were in the house - as all the cars were parked right out front.

Talk at the police department was that there was no organized follow up on leads. People were given bits of tasks to do - but there was no organized focus moving from one lead to another and piecing it all togther.

What's does everyone else think on motive?
Yes, I seem to recall that as well and I think I know which person that was who was alluded to. As I recall (and it has been 14 years ago) that same person used to frequent the building where I worked. But I think it became widely speculated about because of the individual's past. If it were the same person I am thinking of he had a rather sordid past. It was not Cox. They finally nailed this guy on another case but not this one. So far as I know he is now walking the streets. I have no independent knowledge that he even knew Sheryl Levitt. But many thought that he was the person who was dating her. I was hearing this constantly at the time. He was central in most everyone's pet theories; at least the ones I spoke to at the time. Certainly if they were connected he would have had to be Suspect #1. That would have been a coincidence that could not possibly be overlooked. That was all speculation that the police department never made public so we simply don't know. Maybe they are afraid they will be sued. Who knows?

Here is a minor detail that to my knowledge no one has ever published and I was told of this by one of the detectives in the task force. As it seems rather innocuous I'll just include it here for what it might be worth. According to what was told to me by the detective Suzie did not have a key to the back/side door. She would have had to come through the front door or be let in. I'm not even sure it is particularly important but evidently the belief was that this indicated Sheryl was concerned about her safety and wanted to limit entry in some small way. Make of that what you will.

I have a theory but there is no way to test it because the Springfield Police Department is holding all the cards. Since it is now quite obvious that none of the women are alive I can't imagine who they are protecting so why don't they at least publish some of the alternate theories that had to come up during the investigation. Let the public become involved while some of the potential witnesses and records are still available and alive.

My conclusion is that they are waiting for someone to walk into the police department and confess and explain the whole thing. It won't happen and the case will never be solved so long as they have this thing bottled up there. That's why the public will have to demand some accountability.

BTW, your memory is pretty good. It comports with my memory as well. I'll have to check out that link you provided.

Missouri Mule - I agree, it looks like the police are waiting for someone to explain everything and take responsibility. I knew one of the detectives - used to work some with him when he would provide off-duty security - and always thought well of him. I can only imagine his frustration at not being able to do his job. Did no one ever look at the big picture - all the tips, leads, where they led to, etc.? It sounds like the answer is "no." And then the business about the green van. Did you hear about the guy who did see a van like that parked in a supermarket parking lot - looked suspicious enough that he apparently wrote down the license plate number, but later threw the paper it was on away. I'm guessing the van was tied to the cement plant workers that vaporized? Seems like that was all the focus and led nowhere.

When did Cox come to light as a suspect and what was his connection? That must have happened right after I transferred up north. I found the court documents filed on his Florida case online - but that's about the only information other than the taunts he used to regularly give to the News-Leader.

At one time, wasn't there speculation that the murder of Jackie Johns, from Ozark, was possibly tied to this? As in she may have been able to place the abductors with the victims? I thought I read that at one time.

Obviously the motive wasn't robbery. Doesn't seem to be carried out in such a way as to make a point either, i.e. silencing someone and making it obvious they were silenced as a deternt to others. Although, I guess if it were enough of a threat to someone, making a point wouldn't matter - disposing of the problem was all that did.

If the focus were one of the girls it could be some obsessive sexual type of thing - but those people are generally very cunning and wouldn't go asking for the trouble of taking on 3 people. Besides, the girls were wild cards, were they not? Unless someone was following them, no one knew, except people at that last party, that they would even be in that house.

I enjoy reading your posts. In your mind, who was the primary target?

BuddyMidwest said:
Missouri Mule - I agree, it looks like the police are waiting for someone to explain everything and take responsibility. I knew one of the detectives - used to work some with him when he would provide off-duty security - and always thought well of him. I can only imagine his frustration at not being able to do his job. Did no one ever look at the big picture - all the tips, leads, where they led to, etc.? It sounds like the answer is "no." And then the business about the green van. Did you hear about the guy who did see a van like that parked in a supermarket parking lot - looked suspicious enough that he apparently wrote down the license plate number, but later threw the paper it was on away. I'm guessing the van was tied to the cement plant workers that vaporized? Seems like that was all the focus and led nowhere.

When did Cox come to light as a suspect and what was his connection? That must have happened right after I transferred up north. I found the court documents filed on his Florida case online - but that's about the only information other than the taunts he used to regularly give to the News-Leader.

At one time, wasn't there speculation that the murder of Jackie Johns, from Ozark, was possibly tied to this? As in she may have been able to place the abductors with the victims? I thought I read that at one time.

Obviously the motive wasn't robbery. Doesn't seem to be carried out in such a way as to make a point either, i.e. silencing someone and making it obvious they were silenced as a deternt to others. Although, I guess if it were enough of a threat to someone, making a point wouldn't matter - disposing of the problem was all that did.

If the focus were one of the girls it could be some obsessive sexual type of thing - but those people are generally very cunning and wouldn't go asking for the trouble of taking on 3 people. Besides, the girls were wild cards, were they not? Unless someone was following them, no one knew, except people at that last party, that they would even be in that house.

I enjoy reading your posts. In your mind, who was the primary target?
I honestly can't say to your question. That's why it is critical to know just what working relationship may have existed between Mr. McCall and Cox. If there were, then I would have to say it was Stacy, which goes against the grain of the whole story that we heard at the time; namely that she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

About the Jackie Johns deal there was a connection but I believe she was murdered prior to the abductions. I could go into that as well as I was given some information about that the public is not privy to. That in and of itself is a scandal.

I have no idea if that alleged individual was involved but I used to ride the elevator with him on occasion and was introduced to him. I won't tell you what my urges were but they weren't positive.

I did some investigation last night and reread all of the articles by the reporter from the News-Leader and she is now located in NY where I sent her a brief e-mail last night. I want to ask her one question. But I would be happy to bounce this off you. This has nagged at me for over a decade and for the life of me I can't come up with a satisfactory explanation. Send me a PM and I'll tell you about it. Also I'd like to know which detective you are referring to. There is one particular detective there that I would dearly love to contact and see if he would be forthcoming.

I can't say this too strongly. This case to solvable but time is of the essense. It has beeen 14 years and memories and information will be getting terribly stale if much more time elapses. The foot dragging has to stop and stop now.

As an aside one of the police officers who was involved in the search later came to work where I also worked. I pumped him for information almost as soon as he came on board but he didn't have anything. I had a source from the Sheriff's office who also worked there and I pumped him continuously for months as he knew the operation over at the police department and he was one of the best I've ever seen at investigation. But he didn't have anything and furthermore he said to just forget it. He had a term for it but I can't recall what it was exactly. Soemthing about being a lost cause. It appears he correctly sized up the situation.

Missouri Mule - I sent you a PM - would be happy to hear your question. Doubt I have any answers, but you never know. I'll see if I can find that mention of Cox working as a car salesman and determine if it was just something he listed on a license application or if it really happened. I can't imagine that wouldn't have come out in the media - although, back in 1992 and 1993 - nothing got published that the authorities didn't want published. Laura Bauer was a great reporter - I'm glad you've tracked her current location. I always figured she'd move to NY or LA eventually to work.

But Cox working with Mr. McCall would have been huge. But again, it doesn't seem to make sense, does it? If Stacy were the primary target, why make it so complicated? Surely he could have determined when he could catch her alone? And again, until the very last minute, she was due to be staying at the Kirby house following those parties. But I guess obsession doesn't lend itself to logic if that were the case.

The Suzie connection with drug activity - if that were true, again the scenario with the 3 doesn't make sense. We've seen retaliatory murders related to drugs in the Ozarks, but they normally just take care of the person involved - not take on two others that aren't.

What do you make of the broken porch light globe that the police opined about - as if that were the one clue that would break this case - I always had the impression that Kirby's boyfriend has lived all these years with the guilt he swept away key evidence.

The police also made a big deal about the placement of the purses on the stairs. That does seem strange - at least for the mother's purse unless she always kept it there - but that really doesn't make sense.

{I couldn't agree with you more that a fresh look by retired detectives who would be given unrestricted access to the files would be a very good idea. This was the single most expensive operation in Springfield history and to hear them tell it they don't have a single clue of who did it or why it was done. I don't believe that for one second nor do I believe it was a random act. }

There is one organization mentioned on a couple other posts on here that I have also seen on TV shows about unsolved cases called the Vidocq Society. They're out of Philadelphia I believe and they take on unsolved disappearances and crimes that usually everyone else gives up on. This case sounds tailor-made for them. I don't know if just anyone can contact them about the case or if LE has to make initial contact and submit the files. Of course, if the Springfield PD wants the lid kept on this case, they may not share any information with an outside group, even one with a good reputation like Vidocq. Here is a link for them.

www.vidocq.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member