The Whittling Knife

Toltec said:
I posted this on another thread but I think it is relevant to this thread...

From Steve Thomas book page 109:

Burke: I asked my dad, Where did you find her body? He said, in the basement.

"I think someone took her down in the basement...took a knife out (losing words, he made a slashing gesture) or hit her on the head.

"...TOOK A KNIFE OUT"

When i was nine years old i never would have thought a hit on the head could kill someone, i allways associated death in a simple way of guns and knives and such. I find it odd that burke said this.

Charlie said:
I think there are differing opinions on whether the rn was written in a calmly manner, as some do believe the length of the rn (i.e someone rambling on) demonstrates a panicked author. I see your point though Holdontoyourhat, that when you read the rn you finish thinking it was mighty well articulated from someone who just killed a child, but how does one measure panic in writting?

You are right...it was definetly cold, to this day i still cant believe someone could even muster the thought of beheading jonBenet.

Charlie I think you just hit a big nail on the head with your post here. By the way welcome to the forums!!

What are the CHANCES that a 10 year old boy had ever heard the word BEHEADED? Could he have read it, certainly NOT in school with normal curiculum. Comic books, Dr. Seuss (hardly).

Anyone know of a movie around 1996 that had a 'beheading in it' ?

Then we have the attache with mark, bet my grandson would not know that one, he is super intelligent.

My daughters little boy who is 11 now, has his tv viewing widely controlled. He loves cartoons, and he is taken with a friend frequently to child appropriate movies at the movie house. He plays sports, soccer, hockey (lots of medals and awards LOTS, he is good) plays piano, has worn out 3 teachers composes songs and plays them, duh, baseball, swims. She keeps him busy busy.

So, HOW would Burke have known of or ever heard of 'beheading' a person? So he makes a swish motion with his knife, hmmm.

Camper said:
Charlie I think you just hit a big nail on the head with your post here. By the way welcome to the forums!!

What are the CHANCES that a 10 year old boy had ever heard the word BEHEADED? Could he have read it, certainly NOT in school with normal curiculum. Comic books, Dr. Seuss (hardly).

Anyone know of a movie around 1996 that had a 'beheading in it' ?

Then we have the attaché with mark, bet my grandson would not know that one, he is super intelligent.

My daughters little boy who is 11 now, has his tv viewing widely controlled. He loves cartoons, and he is taken with a friend frequently to child appropriate movies at the movie house. He plays sports, soccer, hockey (lots of medals and awards LOTS, he is good) plays piano, has worn out 3 teachers composes songs and plays them, duh, baseball, swims. She keeps him busy busy.

So, HOW would Burke have known of or ever heard of 'beheading' a person? So he makes a swish motion with his knife, hmmm.

Sorry to disagree here but my son is 7 and knows what "behead" & "attaché" means. He was unable to spell attaché despite being very good at spelling.

Camper said:

Come on, now. What is one of the most famous phrases from Alice In Wonderland, both in the book and the Disney cartoon?

The Red Queen shouting "Off with her head!" and "Behead that Dormouse!"

why_nutt said:
Come on, now. What is one of the most famous phrases from Alice In Wonderland, both in the book and the Disney cartoon?

The Red Queen shouting "Off with her head!" and "Behead that Dormouse!"

You do have a point, but if you wear a hat with a large crown it won't show, small humor here.

I don't recall those being shown, AFTER Burke was born, on TV or in the theatres.

DO you really think Burke read AIW?

I have him down as a computer geek, and button pusher game player. Coulda seen something on the computer or in a game on his Nintendo, I suppose. I am hanging pat to my thoughts anyhow. For HIM to have written this in a ransom note, would display a very dark nature about him even if he did know the word.

Camper said:
DO you really think Burke read AIW?

Remember how Burke was enrolled in the Core Knowledge program at his school in Boulder? His third grade curriculum for Core Knowledge required him to read Alice In Wonderland, precisely because it challenges children to learn difficult words and thus advance their vocabulary and mental capacities in general.

why_nutt said:
Remember how Burke was enrolled in the Core Knowledge program at his school in Boulder? His third grade curriculum for Core Knowledge required him to read Alice In Wonderland, precisely because it challenges children to learn difficult words and thus advance their vocabulary and mental capacities in general.
If I remember wasn't there a photo in DOI of JBR dressed as the Queen of Hearts?

Cranberry

There is a photo of JonBenet dressed as the queen of hearts, I saw it online though not in DOI as I havent read that.

narlacat said:
Cranberry

There is a photo of JonBenet dressed as the queen of hearts, I saw it online though not in DOI as I havent read that.

doi_jonbenet_8-480.jpg

Some kids are expecially bright, but re-read the ransom note and try and think of yourself at nine years old using those words and in that phrasing. Burke played with video games and train sets he wasnt sitting in his room reading the encylopedia (i use to babysit a kid who did that...very odd)

Charlie said:
Some kids are expecially bright, but re-read the ransom note and try and think of yourself at nine years old using those words and in that phrasing. Burke played with video games and train sets he wasnt sitting in his room reading the encylopedia (i use to babysit a kid who did that...very odd)

Charlie,

But kids do know how to use dictionaries, and leave them on the table when finished.

BlueCrab said:
Charlie,

But kids do know how to use dictionaries, and leave them on the table when finished.
BC, I need an interpretation of this post. Do you mean or think that the little guy looked up incest and left it on the table to be seen er, huh?

Why_Nutt, thank you for your post on the school and AIW. So I will remove my wonderment about the little guy not knowing about beheading. Do you think he would have learned about the accent mark for attache during this education process? I do think that IF a drooling perp were writing a ransom note with a felt tip pen (sharpie ?) he would a. not used attache with an accent mark. A clever disguise if you will, making LE think the perp was really not stupid, YET he did not get the MONEY he asked for by his own stupidity. Hmmm.

Charlie, I got all of my sex ed from reading the dictionary at a very early age. One word leads to another and ones imagination takes over from there. From the time I learned to read and use a dictionary, I went scurrying there when I heard a word that I had not heard before.

Camper said:
BC,
Charlie, I got all of my sex ed from reading the dictionary at a very early age. One word leads to another and ones imagination takes over from there. From the time I learned to read and use a dictionary, I went scurrying there when I heard a word that I had not heard before..

I see both you and BC's valid point of him perhaps using a dictionary...but woudlnt burke have used a thesaurus that night, as wasnt the goal to deflect attention away from the possibility a nine year old wrote it and therefore he would want to find age appropriate words for his cause. A dicitonary u can look up meanings, but you have to know the word first. As many times as i read the RN i cant think a 9 year old wrote it. Would Burke have the intellect the write
"You stand a 99% chance of killing your daughter if you try to out smart us. Follow out instructions and you stand a 100% chance of getting her back". When i read that quote it so maniupulative,reminds me of an advertisement.

Charlie said:
I see both you and BC's valid point of him perhaps using a dictionary...but woudlnt burke have used a thesaurus that night, as wasnt the goal to deflect attention away from the possibility a nine year old wrote it and therefore he would want to find age appropriate words for his cause. A dicitonary u can look up meanings, but you have to know the word first. As many times as i read the RN i cant think a 9 year old wrote it. Would Burke have the intellect the write
"You stand a 99% chance of killing your daughter if you try to out smart us. Follow out instructions and you stand a 100% chance of getting her back". When i read that quote it so maniupulative,reminds me of an advertisement.

I agree. I just can't buy into the belief that Burke wrote the note.

About the dictionary~~

How is it known that the word "incest" is the word that was being looked up? I mean it isn't the only word on either two pages of the dictionary. I look up words all the time with my children, and I imagine there are all kinds of "suspicious" words on the pages when those are not the words we intended to look up. Just because it was dog-eared doesn't mean it was pointing to anything. Unless it was highlighted or underlined, I just don't see this as very convincing proof of anything.

Who is supposedly looking up "incest" anyway? Is the assumption that JonBenet or Burke was looking up this word? Or is it that John or Patsy was? If my child asked me what incest was, I certainly wouldn't go to a dictionary, and I cannot even think of when my husband or I have ever used that word--especially with little ears around, so where did they hear that word from--if this is the assumption? That, I guess, is why I question--how is it KNOWN that "incest" is the word, specifically, being cited in the dictionary?

Because if you live in Steve Thomas' world you mark words on a page by dog-earring the page until the corner touches the word you want to remember.

tipper said:
Because if you live in Steve Thomas' world you mark words on a page by dog-earring the page until the corner touches the word you want to remember.

haha nice one tipper. Investigators must try to understand details in a case by relating it to themselves and thier own behavior...big mistake were are all not steve thomas right tipper?

Shelayne, ive allways wondered about that myself, it was a huge assumption the investigators took with the incest word. I remember something being unerlined or circled in red pen maybe in dictionary...i cant remember well enough, perhaps can someone clarify that for me please?

Toltec said:
John told detectives that food was never prepared upstairs. He identified the knife on the second floor as a paring knife.

Either the paring knife or Burke's swiss army knife was used to cut the cord. Both knives were on the second floor at one time.

Perhaps the paring knife was initially used to cut the cord, and when it didn't cut it, the swiss army knife was used. The cord was cut on JonBenet's bed because cord fibers were found on her bed.
Ok I'll play.
Where can I find the FACT that cord fibers were found on JBR's bed?

Zman said:
Ok I'll play.
Where can I find the FACT that cord fibers were found on JBR's bed?

Zman,

It's a fact. Fibers from the white nylon cord were vacuumed from IN the bedding (not just on top of the bed). It's evidence that suggests the erotic asphyxiation ligature device had, at one time or another, been IN JonBenet's bed.

The source came from the revised DOI paperback, which stated, "Fibers consistent with the white cord were found in JonBenet's bedding."

The questions to ask, of course, is HOW did the fibers get there, and WHEN did they get there? Was the EA device constructed on the bed? Or was it constructed at least one day prior to the murder and used in JonBenet's bed prior to the night of the murder? And if so, by WHOM?

The bedsheets were last changed on the morning of the 24th, after JonBenet had apparently wet them on the night of the 23rd (they were not the same bedsheets that LHP testified she had put on the bed on the 23rd). Burke and JonBenet had slept together in Burke's bed on the 24th, Christmas Eve night, so JonBenet couldn't have wet her bed that night, nor were the fibers likely deposited that night. So the fibers from the EA device were likely deposited in JonBenet's bedsheets sometime on the 25th, either during the day or late at night (the Ramseys had spent the evening, approximately 4 PM to 9 PM, at the White's dinner party).

BlueCrab

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back