The Whittling Knife

Shelayne said:
Hmmm. How big was the knife in the photo, I wonder? From the standpoint of LE's crime photographer, I would think his name on the knife would be very significant. Significant enough to get in the photo, I would think. But here ST says "I don't know." Strange.
My thoughts exactly. If it says 'Burke Ramsey' on it - it would be described that way when they collected it and ST would know whose knife it was.

Rupert said:
Sounds like Patsy clearly said that they only got him ONE red swiss army knife directly from Switzerland. LHP made a big point about that ONE red swiss army knife. Why?

When LHP snatched the knife away from Burke, did she LOOK at it? I mean to say, did she even know that his NAME was on it?

I am thinking that the knife LE collected is NOT the same knife at all, if ST "didn't know" if it had his name on it. Even if you are a BDI, that knife, in and of itself is not suspicious to be found in the house. Burke lives there, after all. But IF it is NOT Burke's knife, a red Swiss Army knife is a very common kind of knife. Assuming the Ramseys didn't have a "generic" SA knife, and assuming IDI, did the perp forget his pocket knife that he used to cut the rope?

More hmmmmms in this case....

Shelayne said:
Hmmm. How big was the knife in the photo, I wonder? From the standpoint of LE's crime photographer, I would think his name on the knife would be very significant. Significant enough to get in the photo, I would think. But here ST says "I don't know." Strange.

Not so strange...that is just part of law enforcement countermeasures and tactics. Steve Thomas hoped to elicit (sp) a different response out of Patsy, like...
"well...Burke had but one knife, are you sure that is his....does it have his name on it?"

Rupert said:
I don't like being referred to as BORG just cause I talk amongst free minds here who have varying ideas about what happened. I have been hoping very much that it was an incredibly cunning intruder. I respect others who like myself have been discussing all the facts in the hopes of finding some deciding factor on IDI or RDI. If my facts are sometimes in error, please do correct me if I am wrong. BUT DON'T CALL ME BORG!

Jameson wrote:
"Burke had more than one red knife. I believe the one that LP hid in the upstairs cabinet was still in the cabinet after the murder. Burke had possession of his knives well after the murder, after they moved to Atlanta. I do not believe the police gave him the one found near the body."

Wow, now we learn from Jameson that there was more than one knife. Well, you can believe, but where is LHP on this? If Jameson is right, then LHP has been misleading us. I am tired of people discounting the facts either way. Either LHP was wrong or there was only one special red swiss army knife.

TOM HANEY: In the previous interview on
19 the -- last April, there was some discussion about
20 Burke having a Swiss Army knife, I think at that time,
21 correct me if I am wrong. You said it had his name or
22 initials on it?
23 PATSY RAMSEY: Right.
24 TOM HANEY: Would he have had any other
25 knives or would there have been any other Swiss Army
1 type of knives in the house? Did John have any?
2 PATSY RAMSEY: I don't know. I don't
3 remember.
4 TOM HANEY: Would Burke have had more than
5 one, more than just one with his name on it?
6 PATSY RAMSEY: It seems like we might have
7 had a little tiny one like a key chain or something,
8 but it might have been -- I just remember the red one
9 with his name on it that I got him in Switzerland.

http://www.jonbenetindexguide.com/1998BPD-Patsy-Interview-Complete.txt

It appears to me that Patsy is distancing B from any other knives that may have been in the house except for the one with his initials.

Toltec said:
Not so strange...that is just part of law enforcement countermeasures and tactics. Steve Thomas hoped to elicit (sp) a different response out of Patsy, like...
"well...Burke had but one knife, are you sure that is his....does it have his name on it?"

Good point.

Shelayne said:
When LHP snatched the knife away from Burke, did she LOOK at it? I mean to say, did she even know that his NAME was on it?

I am thinking that the knife LE collected is NOT the same knife at all, if ST "didn't know" if it had his name on it. Even if you are a BDI, that knife, in and of itself is not suspicious to be found in the house. Burke lives there, after all. But IF it is NOT Burke's knife, a red Swiss Army knife is a very common kind of knife. Assuming the Ramseys didn't have a "generic" SA knife, and assuming IDI, did the perp forget his pocket knife that he used to cut the rope?

More hmmmmms in this case....
Shelayne,
Patsy said they got one red swiss army knife in Switzerland for Burke. She was not aware of any other red swiss army knife in the house. LHP said she hid the red swiss army knife upstairs in the laundry room. LHP emphatically stated that she became very suspicious when she heard that the red swiss army knife was found in the basement. I think Patsy was telling the truth here. If LHP was telling the truth, then there is some cause for her suspicion. If LHP was not telling the truth, then......

I am not stuck on any theory. I am trying to look for decisive evidence.
Thanks Nehemiah

Thanks, Nehemiah.

I am not stuck on any theory, either. But this interview with Patsy makes me think that the knife in question was NOT Burke's knife as Haney asked if there were OTHER red SA knifes in the house. A little one on a keychain was probably not what they were hoping for.

I thought that LHP was the only one who knew where she hid his knife? She said that Patsy didn't know where she hid it. Unless LHP was lying when she said no one knew but her...but why? Possibly Burke went on the hunt for it and found it, but maybe he didn't. Something tells me this is NOT the same knife.

Shelayne said:
Possibly Burke went on the hunt for it and found it, but maybe he didn't. Something tells me this is NOT the same knife.
I hear you.

If BR found it, then it was he who took it down to the basement. Why? Frankly, I think there was a very low chance of BR finding it.

If this was not the same knife, then it coincidently came in with the intruder. Why would we have not heard about this long ago? I bet it was the same knife.

narlacat said:
PR: The reason I can’t remember whether they, where she slept on the 24th were, not cause it seemed like they were conspiring about what time they were going to get up in the morning and I can’t remember whether they, it seems like there, that she did, they did talk about her sleeping in his room, but I can’t remember whether that really happened or not, but I remember they were conspiring about what time to get up and . . .

Patsy is confusing in her answers and what mother wouldnt remember what room her child had slept in on Christmas Eve
( its not like she has 8 kids to keep up with, fgs she had two). I find it very odd that Patsy doesnt remember simple stuff like where her child slept , if her child had had a bath or what her child ate the day she died.

If she knew for sure where JB slept, then she may incriminate B or someone else, so she "doesn't remember".

If she knew whether JB had had a bath that day, then she may have to talk about why JB was or was not wearing the size 12 panties, so she "doesn't remember".

If she knew what JB had eaten, then she may have to talk about the pineapple, and that may incriminate B, or someone else, so she "doesn't remember".

The Rs seem to carefully select what they remember and don't remember. I think it is to protect someone. Who? I don't know.

Nehemiah said:
If she knew for sure where JB slept, then she may incriminate B or someone else, so she "doesn't remember".

If she knew whether JB had had a bath that day, then she may have to talk about why JB was or was not wearing the size 12 panties, so she "doesn't remember".

If she knew what JB had eaten, then she may have to talk about the pineapple, and that may incriminate B, or someone else, so she "doesn't remember".

The Rs seem to carefully select what they remember and don't remember. I think it is to protect someone. Who? I don't know.

Nehemiah,

Themselves, they also have trump card, but do not know if they need to play it, also if either is criminally charged then unambiguous interview statements lock them into a position.

I haven't read the entire thread so "smack" me if I'm out of sync, however....in Steve's deposition he admits that the knife that was found was never sourced to being the one Burke used to whittle. I would think, it would have been a part of the grand jury process to show this knife to many, including LHP , who could have identified it. Much of the "whittling knife" story was based on assumptions.

Shelayne said:
Thanks, Nehemiah.

I am not stuck on any theory, either. But this interview with Patsy makes me think that the knife in question was NOT Burke's knife as Haney asked if there were OTHER red SA knifes in the house. A little one on a keychain was probably not what they were hoping for.

I thought that LHP was the only one who knew where she hid his knife? She said that Patsy didn't know where she hid it. Unless LHP was lying when she said no one knew but her...but why? Possibly Burke went on the hunt for it and found it, but maybe he didn't. Something tells me this is NOT the same knife.

My take on the interview is the opposite. I see Haney asking P about other red SA knives in order to give Patsy the opportunity to state that yes, there were other knives, and the one in question was not necessarily B's.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back