TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
reb said:
you better bet your sweet *advertiser censored* this couple was targeted because they looked like a nice, innocent, unsuspecting, middle-class white couple that would not be afraid of being approached by them (as they were probably taught not to be-- why, that would be racist!).. and therefore vulnerable prey.
I agree with you 110%

pedinurse said:
I agree with you 110%
If you read the linked articles, these men committed numerous robberies and home invasions. Until I read that these robberies and home invasions were all of white people, I am sticking to my belief that this was not a hate crime.

Edited to add: Thank goodness the judge didn't release him. The guy's record is a mile long.

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_news/article/0,1406,KNS_347_5322475,00.html

The list of allegations contained in the 24-page document is both staggering and disturbing: premeditated murder, robbery, kidnapping, rape and theft.

Snip....

Knox County District Attorney General Randy Nichols said Thursday evening that he has not decided if he will seek the death penalty.

"That decision is still being deliberated," Nichols said.

The U.S. Attorney's Office also is mulling the possibility of seeking a death sentence in the federal case, Assistant U.S. Attorney David Jennings has said in court.

Snip...

The presentment sought by Nichols' office is replete with allegations of torturous acts of violence against the young couple, who had been out on a date Jan. 6 when the pair apparently were confronted by gunmen, bound, forced at gunpoint into the Chipman Street house where Davidson had been living, then attacked, raped and killed.

Snip....

The presentment also reveals that Newsom was raped, an allegation that had not yet been made public. All four suspects - Cobbins, Davidson, Thomas and Coleman - are alleged to have participated in committing a particular sex act against Newsom. The same four are accused of committing three distinct acts of rape against Christian.

Snip....

Nichols declined Thursday evening to say where the carjacking took place. He joins a long list of authorities involved in the case who are keeping mum on that key bit of information. It's not clear why the carjacking site is being veiled in secrecy.

Much more at link. I am going to be really upset if they don't go for the death penalty for these mindless creatures.

Alice253 said:
http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_news/article/0,1406,KNS_347_5322475,00.html

The list of allegations contained in the 24-page document is both staggering and disturbing: premeditated murder, robbery, kidnapping, rape and theft. ......

.....Nichols declined Thursday evening to say where the carjacking took place. He joins a long list of authorities involved in the case who are keeping mum on that key bit of information. It's not clear why the carjacking site is being veiled in secrecy.

Much more at link. I am going to be really upset if they don't go for the death penalty for these mindless creatures.

This may turn out to be a DOH kind of question, but if the state fails to convict on a charge, can they be retried on the same charge federally?? This would seem like double jeopardy, but with different trial systems, is it? Can duplicate charges even be legally filed, or do the Fed and state’s attorneys get together and divvy up the charges so none are duplicated?

crypto6 said:
This may turn out to be a DOH kind of question, but if the state fails to convict on a charge, can they be retried on the same charge federally?? This would seem like double jeopardy, but with different trial systems, is it? Can duplicate charges even be legally filed, or do the Fed and state’s attorneys get together and divvy up the charges so none are duplicated?
From FindLaw is below, but I'm still unclear if one can be tried on the same charge both by the state court system and the Federal court system. The site is easier to read because the embedded links didn't follow and came as numbers only.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendment05/02.html

Once it is decided that a particular Bill of Rights guarantee is 'fundamental to the American scheme of justice,' . . . the same constitutional standards apply against both the State and Federal Governments.'' Therefore, the double jeopardy limitation now applies to both federal and state governments and state rules on double jeopardy, with regard to such matters as when jeopardy attaches, must be considered in the light of federal standards. 49
In a federal system, different units of government may have different interests to serve in the definition of crimes and the enforcement of their laws, and where the different units have overlapping jurisdictions a person may engage in conduct that will violate the laws of more than one unit. 50 Although the Court had long accepted in dictum the principle that prosecution by two governments of the same defendant for the same conduct would not constitute double jeopardy, 51 it was not until United States v. Lanza 52 that the conviction in federal court of a person previously convicted in a state court for performing the same acts was sustained. ''We have here two sovereignties, deriving power from different sources, capable of dealing with the same subject-matter within the same territory . . . Each government in determining what shall be an offense against its peace and dignity is exercising its own sovereignty, not that of the other.'' 53 The ''dual sovereignty'' doctrine is not only tied into the existence of two sets of laws often serving different federal-state purposes and the now overruled principle that the double jeopardy clause restricts only the national government and not the States, 54 but it also reflects practical considerations that undesirable consequences could follow an overruling of the doctrine. Thus, a State might preempt federal authority by first prosecuting and providing for a lenient sentence (as compared to the possible federal sentence) or acquitting defendants who had the sympathy of state authorities as against federal law enforcement. 55 The application of the clause to the States has therefore worked no change in the ''dual sovereign'' doctrine. 56 Of course, when in fact two different units of the government are subject to the same sovereign, the double jeopardy clause does bar separate prosecutions by them for the same offense. 57 The dual sovereignty doctrine has also been applied to permit successive prosecutions by two states for the same conduct. 58

Bobbisangel said:
All four of these guys should face the same charges. I don't believe for a minute that all four of these guys didn't rape that poor girl. They had her for days. I doubt that any of them were so honorable that they refused to have sex with her. I doubt that any of them have any morals or values. They are one scary bunch of criminals. Of course they are going to all blame each other but when it is all said and done they were all in on the car jacking and the murder of these to innocent young people. It shouldn't matter who held the gun, knife, object, or fist that actually took their lives. They all deserve to be locked away for ever or worse. They must have been out looking for a couple to murder. They are all so stupid that they left the car near their home and the bodies close by.
-----------------

Bobbiesangel you are sooooo right! You said it all.They should be judged the same and all should die for what was done to this couple.They were in it together, die together.I wouldn't want to think of any one of them getting out in the future.They are scum.

Why has this not got front spot on Nancy Grace this is to horrible to even imagine. Is anyone reading court T.V. anymore...lol.... here is some of what i have read so far.

snip

On the night of January 6, Christopher and Channon had dinner together at a local restaurant. Afterwards, Channon spoke with her mother and told her they were going to a friend's house to watch a movie. At some point during the trip, the couple was hijacked, bound and blindfolded and taken back to Davidson's apartment.
Once there, several people allegedly raped Christopher in front of his girlfriend. Afterwards, his penis was cut off, and he was shot multiple times. His body was then set on fire, in an apparent attempt to cover up evidence, and dumped near the railroad tracks. When the perpetrators were finished with Christopher, they allegedly turned their attention to Channon. For two days, she was beaten, gang raped and at times urinated upon. When her killers finally had their fill of her, they cut off one of her breasts while she was still alive, poured bleach down her throat, in an attempt to cover up evidence, and shot her multiple times. As with Christopher, they set her body on fire; however, for unknown reasons, they did not dump her body but instead placed it in a trashcan inside the apartment.

snip

so much more here

http://www.crimelibrary.com/news/original/0507/0301_channon_christian.html

My BF says that I read and watch too much and that leads to my paranoia. Well it is the things like this that make me scared to death. These poor people were on their way to have a nice time out and then all this happens. It just gets weirder by the day. I mean how do all these people end up raping the guy? I would expect the girl, but the guy? Does that seem odd to you guys? This chit just freaks me out....BIG time!! I can't believe this happened in January and I have not heard anything about it to now.

Why has this not got front spot on Nancy Grace this is to horrible to even imagine. Is anyone reading court T.V. anymore...lol.... here is some of what i have read so far. <snipped by SieSie>
You're right, why hasn't this gotten more media coverage? I've never heard of it, and I see that the original post was in January.

I haven't gone to any links yet, but from what you snipped, it is a horrendous crime and I can't imagine the suffering the poor man & woman went through. Such sadistic brutality, it's incomprehensible to me.

ETA: Went to the CrimeLibrary link, and found this picture of the murdered couple:
5y8o5k6.jpg

I wish somehow I could change the title of the thread to make more people come here!!!!

I wish somehow I could change the title of the thread to make more people come here!!!!
Hmmm, maybe see if a mod can do it for you? I'm not sure if thread titles can be changed or not. :waitasec:

I can't believe this hasn't been covered in the media more, though. Thought this snip from CrimeLibrary was very appropriate (sadly):
Recently, I received an email from a reader about a horrific double homicide that occurred several months ago in Knoxville. When I looked into the case, I was shocked and horrified by the amount of suffering the victims had incurred prior to their deaths. I was also shocked that I had not read about the case in any of the mainstream media. Conducting more research, I discovered that others were wondering the same thing. Many people are trying to turn the case into a race issue, as the victims were white and the alleged killers were black. However, their color has no meaning to me. They could be green and blue. It does not matter. What does matter is the fact that these two people's lives were not important enough, when compared to the likes of Anna Nicole Smith and Don Imus, to receive the attention they deserved.
So sad, isn't it?

ETA: I see that there's been over 60 views to this thread even though there aren't many comments. Maybe it's not the title that's the problem, but the fact that it's such a horrific crime, people can't get their minds around it to even comment! I know I feel like that a lot with all of the tragedy we read about daily.

I hope Nancy will cover it. It is a horrible case...deserving of the death penalty.

This is just to heartbreaking. I don't know how anyone could read it and not break down in tears. To think what those two kids went through at the hands of those monsters is horrible. There is even a girl that was involved! Why would they do something so horrible to those two innocent kids just out for a evening enjoying each other's company. So innocent and then here come these freaks and.....

I hope everyone of them get the death penalty. I can't imagine the minds that came up with all of this torture and pain. I wonder what kind of records they have?

I feel so sad for the parents of these kids. How do you survive knowing what your children went through before they died? They will probably have nightmares forever.

I don't understand why this story had been hidden. Not a word about it. This horror that those kids went through should be shouted from the rooftops. This is what is going on in society today. It is a darn sad world that we live in.

These criminals have extensive records, if I remember correctly. I don't know why people don't seem to care on a national level. I have followed it on local news stations and in newspapers. It is sick. I think I would go crazy knowing that my child was tortured in such ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea