TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This reminds me of the Harvey murders from last year when a young couple and their 2 beautiful daughters wer murdered in a home invasion on New Years day in the morning...and the house was set on fire, surprise surprise...it was 2 men that were just released from jail and rode around looking for an open door! Again we did not hear much about this....this actually still haunts me thinking about what those animals did...

They need to give all these sickos the death penalty and save taxpayers some money. Otherwise they would just sit on their a$$es all day watching tv in their rec room.
The rape of the male victim sounds like the attackers were locked up before in prison and it was about dominance and control.
This is an odd case as it is so personal; i don't understand why anyone would to this, let alone to people they didn't even know. These horrid cases are usually done by people who know the victims or serial killer sickos.
Do you think it hasn't been in the national media since they are afraid of people getting ideas from it? More people would be outraged and disgusting upon hearing of this. They need to get the story out there.
I couldn't understand who a second why any judge would not think of giving them all no bail and death penalities.
My prayers to the families of the victims.

They need to give all these sickos the death penalty and save taxpayers some money. Otherwise they would just sit on their a$$es all day watching tv in their rec room.
The rape of the male victim sounds like the attackers were locked up before in prison and it was about dominance and control.
This is an odd case as it is so personal; i don't understand why anyone would to this, let alone to people they didn't even know. These horrid cases are usually done by people who know the victims or serial killer sickos.
Do you think it hasn't been in the national media since they are afraid of people getting ideas from it? More people would be outraged and disgusting upon hearing of this. They need to get the story out there.
I couldn't understand who a second why any judge would not think of giving them all no bail and death penalities.
My prayers to the families of the victims.

If that was the case we wouldnt hear about anything. IMHO I think because they are white it will not recieve as much if they were black. (NO I AM NO RACIST) The higher ups in the black comminity have been all over people about falsely accusing black people with crimes against whites. While I dont think the crime itself was race related, I believe the lack of media time is. Could you imagine if this had been a young black couple Jessie and Al would be all over everyone, which I think is great, Who helps the white people. I am in no way saying anything to get a fight started, I just believe this to be true. Please dont write to me about being a racist, i am not. I wont turn this into a race thing so I will stop but I hope someone brings this story into national news already. I have emailed Nancy will you guys too.

If that was the case we wouldnt hear about anything. IMHO I think because they are white it will not recieve as much if they were black. (NO I AM NO RACIST) The higher ups in the black comminity have been all over people about falsely accusing black people with crimes against whites. While I dont think the crime itself was race related, I believe the lack of media time is. Could you imagine if this had been a young black couple Jessie and Al would be all over everyone, which I think is great, Who helps the white people. I am in no way saying anything to get a fight started, I just believe this to be true. Please dont write to me about being a racist, i am not. I wont turn this into a race thing so I will stop but I hope someone brings this story into national news already. I have emailed Nancy will you guys too.

I agree with you, I generally don't believe in designating a crime a "hate" crime, I generally don't really care what the motivation for the crime was, simply that it happened is all I care about. But I do believe the media not covering this case is race related. I read about this case for the first time this morning, and it has haunted me all day, I am just really depressed that people can do this to other people. I cannot imagine what the parents of those victims must feel - to know your son or daughter had endured such agony would be next to impossible to live with. The only consolation I can find is that their pain ended with their deaths, but of course their loved ones' pain had just begun. I cannot imagine why the death penalty would not be applied in this case, the only possible reason would be if both sets of relatives did not want to see it happen.

I am appalled at all the other sorts of "news" we hear from the media - Paris Hilton can't blink without us knowing it, they covered the Holloway case and the Laci Peterson case exhaustively, I feel like I know those cases as well as the prosecution, yet this is just ignored? I simply don't get it.

I think the reason we haven't heard a lot about it is that it is such a horrific crime. I don't feel the lack of publicity has anything to do with race.

The act of rape is about dominance and control regardless of the whether the victim is male or female.

The first thing I've heard about this case was on snopes. http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/newsom.asp

This is horrifying! Though on snopes, they point out reasons it hasn't made national news, I still find it strange that something so awful and disgusting wasn't picked up.
I totally agree with the commentary on Snopes. No outrage, no coverage, no Jesse or Al or NAACP because the victims were white.

I do believe that this was a hate crime. These black SOB's hate white America. These two young people weren't bothering anyone. They were decent human beings who were preparing to give back to society. These criminals hated everything that these kids stood for. They blamed them and every white man like them and were taking out their revenge on them.

I believe that they raped and tortured these young people to show who had the power and who was in control. They are a sick bunch. I am so glad that they were all caught. How sad, pathetic and scary that we have people like this living among us.

I realize that all blacks are not bad and that you have some white folk who are just as sick. However, we are talking about this particular crime.

I hope that they all receive the death sentence because they certainly are a danger to society and have nothing to offer.

I think the reason we haven't heard a lot about it is that it is such a horrific crime. I don't feel the lack of publicity has anything to do with race.

I think that is part of it, this was so horrific that some people would probably change channels, it would be so upsetting to them. However, the media is not supposed to decide what we find palatable.

Wasn't this case solved in short order? I think that the cable networks cover a lot of the cases where the person is missing or they are looking for the murderer. The murderers, in this case, have been found.

The act of rape is about dominance and control regardless of the whether the victim is male or female.

And that poor girl knew what was coming for her after seeing what was done to her boyfriend.

I feel so sorry for the victims and those who love them.

And I hope the perps get the disposition that they deserve.

I feel this is a hate crime of the highest order. But of course, the media won't call it that for fear of facing the wrath of Sharpton and Jackson. I don't believe I am a racist, just a realist. I don't see the good Rev. Sharpton or Jackson coming to their aid publically, but I bet they are behind the scenes. And of course, it is the victim's fault, not the perps! (Sarcasm should be noted in that last statement.)

OK, if you what you guys say is true,, then the next time a black guy is killed by a gang of white guys (which is pretty rare these days), i don't want to hear the word "hate crime".
i lived in a black-majority city. i know how the animals like the ones shown in the photo view whites. i know how much hatred and disregard for their lives they have. sure, they "could have" done it to anyone, BUT THEY DIDN'T. but go on... keep making excuses for them. we as a society are so incredibly in denial about this. whites can be racist or commit hate crimes,, blacks can't. no way. never.
this my friends, is the result of decades of a sense of overblown entitlement being instilled in these people, and the sense that they can get away with anything and everyone will look the other way or they can use the "poor me" excuse. i have personally seen how little regard they have for the lives of other races-- expecially whites- and they will laugh at the beating or death of a white person... or at least secretly cheer when it happens. and no matter what horrible crime they do, their family & peers will see them as the victims of "the system", always.

you better bet your sweet *advertiser censored* this couple was targeted because they looked like a nice, innocent, unsuspecting, middle-class white couple that would not be afraid of being approached by them (as they were probably taught not to be-- why, that would be racist!).. and therefore vulnerable prey. no evidence it's a hate crime??? hello---- the evidence is right there in the photographs!!!!

You are a very angry person. Get help.

I remember a case, I cannot remember where it was, but some of the elements were quite similar to this crime. If memory serves, it was a home invasion, and there were two couple in the home, the couples were forced to have sex with one another in front of their attackers, then the attackers also raped the women. Then they took one of the women to an ATM and robbed her. Then they took all the victims into a field and shot them all, and left them for dead. One of the woman victims played dead, the bulllet had been somewhat deflected by a barrette she was wearing. She found her way to a house in the dead of winter, with no clothes on, to get help.

It reminds me of this case because of the way the victims were demeaned during the crime, altho the Newsome/Christian case is much more gruesome. It was also black attackers on white victims, and it, too received very little media attention.

I remember too.

Reb, I think your reaction is one of the reasons this crime hasn't got a lot of media attention. I think the media is afraid that there would be similiar, if not even more gruesome, revenge crimes by whites against blacks. And the sad thing is, there probably would be. I think there is a segment of both the white and the black community that simply hates the other because racism is alive and well....on both sides of the fence. I think an important point that Reb may have missed is made evident in his comment ".....i have personally seen how little regard they have for the lives of other races-- expecially whites." The particular segment of either the black or white community that would actually go out and commit this type of crime has very little regard for any life. There is far more black on black crime than there is "black on white" or "white on black". I can pretty much guarantee you that these evil monsters were cranked up on crack or some other soul-stealing drug when they carried out the evil fantasy that had probably festered in their damned souls for years. I try to remember that these same monsters were once the little children that we now all cry for if they go missing or are murdered in their youth. Where did life go wrong for them? And no...I am not getting ready to excuse their behavior by blaming their actions on society! They deserve to die for what they did. I, like many on this board, cannot understand their actions.....and I think that is a very good thing for us, but perhaps bad for society as a whole. We need to understand at least the origins of such evil if we have any hope of stopping it.

OK, if you what you guys say is true,, then the next time a black guy is killed by a gang of white guys (which is pretty rare these days), i don't want to hear the word "hate crime".
i lived in a black-majority city. i know how the animals like the ones shown in the photo view whites. i know how much hatred and disregard for their lives they have. sure, they "could have" done it to anyone, BUT THEY DIDN'T. but go on... keep making excuses for them. we as a society are so incredibly in denial about this. whites can be racist or commit hate crimes,, blacks can't. no way. never.
this my friends, is the result of decades of a sense of overblown entitlement being instilled in these people, and the sense that they can get away with anything and everyone will look the other way or they can use the "poor me" excuse. i have personally seen how little regard they have for the lives of other races-- expecially whites- and they will laugh at the beating or death of a white person... or at least secretly cheer when it happens. and no matter what horrible crime they do, their family & peers will see them as the victims of "the system", always.

you better bet your sweet *advertiser censored* this couple was targeted because they looked like a nice, innocent, unsuspecting, middle-class white couple that would not be afraid of being approached by them (as they were probably taught not to be-- why, that would be racist!).. and therefore vulnerable prey. no evidence it's a hate crime??? hello---- the evidence is right there in the photographs!!!!

This persons feelings are the exact reason racisim is still going strong. Some opinions you should really keep to yourself. Not trying to start anything or get a time out I just feel like these type of statements are uncalled for. I have been on a topic with this poster before on a animal forum and yes racisim was there too in that post. Please think of peoples feelings before you speak. I take it you are white without any black friends or loved ones. I am a whity white girl and I love people of ALL colors. We no longer live in the time so please move forward with the rest of us. Again I just felt that this had to be said. Not wanting A fight or anything, Just want you to better yourself!!

This is the first that I have heard of this crime. I can barely read about it. It sickens me so badly.

I hope the victims families find some peace. I hope the victims were able to find a place in their minds where they could tune out the horror.

And I hope these monsters never ever see the light of day again. This is horrific.

Wasn't this case solved in short order? I think that the cable networks cover a lot of the cases where the person is missing or they are looking for the murderer. The murderers, in this case, have been found.

That is a good point. I didn't think of that.

Reb, I think your reaction is one of the reasons this crime hasn't got a lot of media attention. I think the media is afraid that there would be similiar, if not even more gruesome, revenge crimes by whites against blacks. And the sad thing is, there probably would be. I think there is a segment of both the white and the black community that simply hates the other because racism is alive and well....on both sides of the fence. I think an important point that Reb may have missed is made evident in his comment ".....i have personally seen how little regard they have for the lives of other races-- expecially whites." The particular segment of either the black or white community that would actually go out and commit this type of crime has very little regard for any life. There is far more black on black crime than there is "black on white" or "white on black". I can pretty much guarantee you that these evil monsters were cranked up on crack or some other soul-stealing drug when they carried out the evil fantasy that had probably festered in their damned souls for years. I try to remember that these same monsters were once the little children that we now all cry for if they go missing or are murdered in their youth. Where did life go wrong for them? And no...I am not getting ready to excuse their behavior by blaming their actions on society! They deserve to die for what they did. I, like many on this board, cannot understand their actions.....and I think that is a very good thing for us, but perhaps bad for society as a whole. We need to understand at least the origins of such evil if we have any hope of stopping it.

Great post!

I had never heard of this case and am horrified. So, I've been searching around to see whatever I can find. Here's an article from March.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=43315&provider=gnews

By: Emily Stroud, Reporter
Date created: 3/14/2007 9:11:32 PM
Last updated: 3/15/2007 7:32:58 AM

A gruesome double murder shocked the Halls community in North Knox County two months ago.

Wednesday night they remembered one of the victims with a lasting tribute in a place he loved.

"Please direct your attention to home plate," announced Jake Mabe over the public address system.

Chris Newsom's parents stood at home plate at the Halls High School baseball field, where their son played for four years. Coaches and players gathered around the couple as the announcement continued. "He was number 14. A great kid with a great smile. Those who knew and loved him will never forget Chris Newsom."

the school presented a marble plaque shaped like a base to the Newsoms. It will be mounted on the concession stand to honor Newsom's memory. It reads "In memory of Chris Newsom. 1983 to 2007. Safe at Home. #14."

Coach Doug Polston said Newsom was a good player, and a good person. "He was the first one here. He was always wanting to stay and take extra batting practice. He was a fantastic little pitcher. Great outfielder."

Here's a youtube video of the presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIk3g8Gg9wU&mode=related&search=

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member