TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
28i9s0i.jpg

1zgt3zc.jpg

347xy8j.jpg

LOL, I dont think the defense attorneys were ready to present sentencing evidence. They are shocked.

The defense will not present any mental health testimony.

6 witnesses for the defense for penalty phase.

Judge recessing until am, will proceed w sentencing phase in the am. Defense will present six witnesses tomorrow. Then victim impact statements.

:parrot:

I totally wasnt expecting this AT ALL....with this verdict now what do we think they will do with his sentencing? I'm literally floored, I have no clue what to think now.

When will the judge have to make the decision on what he thinks?

I wish they would've tried them all in the same trial, and I wish this jury would've judge them all including VC.

He said rule 29 tomorrow. Is that where he makes his decision on their findings?

Listening to the news reporters, and they said that he still reserved his right (Judge B that is) to say anything...Prairie, does that mean that maybe he's planning to step in if they say the death penalty is going to be applied here? Or can he still throw out some of the guilty's?

If I were the Judge i wouldn't touch those vedicts. These families have been through hell. Leave it for appeals.

Agree prairiewind that GT is (possibly only) one who would've fared better had defendants been tried separately. And I too worry about overturning given judge's reservations which he conveyed earlier when he set aside the motion for acquittal...... the jury's message was loud and clear though and I have to believe tho that even if judge overrides some of the verdicts he will ensure GT never walks free again.

:parrot:

TK hugging all the family members.

The judge can still overturn the jury verdict if he feels the evidence doesnt support their verdicts. But that is something that NO judge wants to do. Appellate Courts really favor jurys. But the judge will have the sentencing hearing anyway. IF he overturns the verdicts, the State WILL appeal and ask appellate court to reinstate teh jury verdict. And I think it likely they would. So this way, the sentencing hearing is already done. I suspect the judge will overturn SOME of the verdicts: premediated for example, but leave stand the felony murder convictions. The bottom line is that there WAS enough evidence here to convict in my opinion.

Family making a statement soon.

I totally wasnt expecting this AT ALL....with this verdict now what do we think they will do with his sentencing? I'm literally floored, I have no clue what to think now.

When will the judge have to make the decision on what he thinks?

Wow I am just checking in now and I am floored!!! Happy, but floored.

families speaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member