GUILTY TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #20

I hope the Defense strategy backfires. Focusing on what she didn't do :banghead: She didn't stop it or leave and get help. If i was a Juror that's what i would be thinking. My heart breaks for these Families have to relive the horror of what was done to their loved ones :furious: This case for me is up there with the Petit case. Very tough to hear the horror of these crimes.

I'm surprised more websleuthers aren't following the retrial.

I just can not follow it to closely this time as it makes me soooo mad I want to spit. I would most likely end up getting banned.

Until last week I was unaware any of this was going on. I watched the first trials here via live feeds and am horrified to see what has now happened.
I just happened to notice activity on the thread. Ugh.
I'm so sorry the families have to go through this again.

I just can not follow it to closely this time as it makes me soooo mad I want to spit. I would most likely end up getting banned.

That is a good point. Very hard to go through all over again. My heart breaks for the families.

I am following the retrial, watching as much of it live as I can, it so far has just been the same evidence and witnesses as the first trial, except VC has less charges in relation to CN

her defence is doing pretty good in mny opinion in focusing the jury on what she didn't do as opposed to what she did,

I do expect most of the verdicts will be guilty, but she may get a few years less than what she was sentenced to first time round, and I think that is what she and her atty's are aiming for

she and her att'y must expect guilty verdicts but she has a chance to try to get less jail time and a hope of being released whilst she still has some good years ahead of her,

I noticed that as well, on and on about what she didn't do.

VC deserves a sentence for murder as well as her codefendents. She could have stopped the violence anytime with a call to 911. But she didn't. Guilty as far as I'm concerned. These children suffered the most horrendous deaths anyone could suffer. The defendants deserve the ultimate sentences. I pray for the parents to find some peace, if it is possibel.

The whole thing makes me sick. I don't think there are enough words to describe my feelings on this. I've read websites making this about race- and I don't think it is, honestly- it's about human violation and degradation. This case more than any other out there makes me believe in true evil. I hope that Channon and Chris are at peace and that their families can find peace and justice. I really hope that the defendants loved their "awesome" breakfast- because I hope they choke on jail crud for the rest of their pathetic lives. I loathe having to say that- but they gave no sympathy or anything to Channon and Chris. This is probably the sickest crime I've ever read about, and I am shocked that more people aren't crying out for justice. I hate to go there, but if it were about a child or if the races were reversed- then civil rights groups would be screaming for justice. It's kind of pathetic. I cannot believe that a group of human beings could do this to another couple of humans, nor can I believe that the families have to go through more trials. I really think the judge needs jail time too for setting this retrial in motion. Also, we as humans need to have more awareness and end this random violence. We talk about world peace- what about peace in our own backyards?

closing arguments today, I am sure the jury will convict her of most if not all the charges, then I wonder what the Judge will sentence her too

About 45 min ago:

Stephanie Beecken‏@StephBeecken

Jury going home. Will be back in the morning according to bailiffs. #CNTrial

closing arguments today, I am sure the jury will convict her of most if not all the charges, then I wonder what the Judge will sentence her too

Thanks for the updates Joe. I have been busy the last several weeks and this slipped thru the cracks and I hadn't followed this case for a while.

I might try to read back and see waht I can find about the exlusion of mentioning of Chris. Though she isnt charged in his death, his fate is still relevant to Vanessa's case. Seems ridiculous to completely exclude it, but then I dont know what the arguements there were. I do feel terribly for his family and for Chris. No one was really held accountable for what happened to him.

I was glad to see Blackmon was forced to recuse himself from the retrial issue. As an attorney, that seems a no-brainer to me.

Keep us updated. Thanks again.

http://www.wate.com/story/20147708/christian-newsom-defendant-cobbins-asks-judge-to-dismiss-lawyer
Christian-Newsom defendant Cobbins asks judge to dismiss lawyer

The judge then denied the motion for a new counselor.
Cobbins also told the judge that he wanted to be transported directly from Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville, where he's being held, to court in Knoxville.

Before his court appearances, Cobbins had been taken to the Morgan County Correctional Complex first, before coming to Knoxville.

He told Judge Kurtz that he felt threatened by the guards at the jail and wanted to come to Knoxville directly.

The judge told Cobbins to take his complaints directly to the warden at Riverbend.

Boo hoo hoo!

http://www.wate.com/story/20148545/jury-deliberates-for-second-day-in-vanessa-coleman-retrial

Day 2 of deliberations.

On Tuesday afternoon, the jury returned to the courtroom briefly to ask Judge Jon Kerry Blackwood about the rape charges against Coleman.

They asked the judge if each count pertained to a different individual.

VANESSA COLEMAN RETRIAL

The official charges against Coleman
The judge told them that the different charges were for the different methods in which Channon Christian was raped - anally, orally and sexually.

The jury said that Judge Blackwood had answered their question and continued deliberations.

I really don't think this is going to take long at all. jmo They were only out for a day, I believe, the last time.

we have a verdict, will take a while to get all parties assembled in court for the reading, but am so pleased they did not hang,

"Vanessa feels very good. I think she's relieved and she can see the future as a young lady," Lavit told 6 News

http://www.wate.com/story/20148545/jury-delivers-verdict-in-vanessa-coleman-retrial

I don't think she should ever see a future as a young lady at all. I hope they give her the max!

I thought that was an odd statement too. In my opinion she deserves the max, but i wouldn't bet on it. Blackwood has been pretty hostile to the state from the beginning of his involvement.

all the defence could have hoped to acheive from this retrial was a lesser sentence for VC, she will always be convicted on the main charges no matter how many trials there are as the evidence is very strong and the crimes so horrific all juries would convict,

she was sentenced to 53 years last time, this time she will get a sentence that is not as long, so she will be free at a younger age than she could previously have hoped, she has already served 5 years of any sentence she will be given,

I expect the defence is aiming for at the very most 25 - 30 years, which would be much less than her original sentence,

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back