GUILTY TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #20

all the defence could have hoped to acheive from this retrial was a lesser sentence for VC, she will always be convicted on the main charges no matter how many trials there are as the evidence is very strong and the crimes so horrific all juries would convict,

she was sentenced to 53 years last time, this time she will get a sentence that is not as long, so she will be free at a younger age than she could previously have hoped, she has already served 5 years of any sentence she will be given,

I expect the defence is aiming for at the very most 25 - 30 years, which would be much less than her original sentence,

You're probably right. I could see how she might get more time than that, but my guess is that you're probably pretty close. Then who knows how much time she will actually serve.

What exactly was her true involvement? We may never know. It is amazing really when you consider how much this crime has been discussed and investigated and tried in court, and when you consider how many people were involved over a length of time, how little we actually know about what happened to Chris and Channon.

You're probably right. I could see how she might get more time than that, but my guess is that you're probably pretty close. Then who knows how much time she will actually serve.

What exactly was her true involvement? We may never know. It is amazing really when you consider how much this crime has been discussed and investigated and tried in court, and when you consider how many people were involved over a length of time, how little we actually know about what happened to Chris and Channon.

I was in the courtroom for three days. I saw the autopsy photos and described (http://sprocket-trials.blogspot.com/2012/11/christian-newsom-torture-murder-case.html) what I saw for Trials and Tribulations.

David In TN

William, thanks for the post. That is pretty tough to read. It is so aggravating that in all the statements given by the defendants, no one would hardly even admit to having seen Chris. No one would/will ever really be held accountable for happened to him.

William, thanks for the post. That is pretty tough to read. It is so aggravating that in all the statements given by the defendants, no one would hardly even admit to having seen Chris. No one would/will ever really be held accountable for happened to him.

Chris Newsom was raped by the male defendants. Because his body was burned, the DNA could not be identified.

Davidson and Thomas were convicted of Chris' murder. Cobbins was convicted of facilitation of murder concerning Chris.

Unfortunately, he was little mentioned in the Coleman trials, especially the last one.

Before the autopsy photos were shown in court last Thursday, the defense argued against any photos of Chris Newsom. After a sidebar lasting over an hour, the judge allowed two photos of Chris.

The first was of his burned body beside the railroad track. The second was of his bare feet. They were bound by his own belt and a ligature.

David In TN

David, I and I think many others believe the horrible beating injuries to Channon's genital area were most likely inflicted by Vanessa. Is that your feeling as well?

David, I and I think many others believe the horrible beating injuries to Channon's genital area were most likely inflicted by Vanessa. Is that your feeling as well?

I will insist to my dying day that it was Coleman who beat Channon's genital area. As I wrote in my T&T piece, it looked like she had been beaten by a club, as well as kicked.

David In TN

http://www.wate.com/story/20147708/christian-newsom-defendant-cobbins-asks-judge-to-dismiss-lawyer
Christian-Newsom defendant Cobbins asks judge to dismiss lawyer

The judge then denied the motion for a new counselor.
Cobbins also told the judge that he wanted to be transported directly from Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville, where he's being held, to court in Knoxville.

Before his court appearances, Cobbins had been taken to the Morgan County Correctional Complex first, before coming to Knoxville.

He told Judge Kurtz that he felt threatened by the guards at the jail and wanted to come to Knoxville directly.

The judge told Cobbins to take his complaints directly to the warden at Riverbend.

Boo hoo hoo!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Riverbend a Psychiatric facility? I lived in Knoxville for a few years.

I will insist to my dying day that it was Coleman who beat Channon's genital area. As I wrote in my T&T piece, it looked like she had been beaten by a club, as well as kicked.

David In TN

yes and I cry when I think about it.

yes and I cry when I think about it.

Me too. I was here earlier but had to check out for a bit. May they all never see the light of day. Monsters. So horrific :furious: My heart goes out to the Families having to endure this he77 again :rose:

I sincerely hope something occurs that keeps her from ever getting out of prison. I believe she will always be a threat to society!

Followoing that link, there is another link to an interesting story about a gun linked to Eric Boyd that police thought might have been used to kill Newsom. However, the gun could not be conclusively linked to the killing. I thought one of Davidson's guns was linked but can't remember that far back. Anyone remember?
But the story is interesting if for no other reason than it clearly shows that the police do believe that Boyd was involved if not responsible and they are continuing to pursue it.

Today is the hearing to decide if the other 3 defendants get a retrial, I think Thomas stands a chance, as there is no evidence beyond what his co defendants say he did, and his admission he there but did nothing to either victim, merely being present is not a crime,

I think the state would be able to get convictions on many of the charges for him if retried, but like VC he and his attys are probably hoping to get less convictions thus no LWOP and the chance that maybe one day he would be free,

Going back and looking at those links and the other links attached, remembering so much of what I had forgotten and even learning some stuff that I hadn't known before. I had forgot that Davidson told police that it was Thomas that shot Newsom. Also interesting that Davidson specifically says repeatedly in his statement that he did NOT know Chris and Channon and the Daphne Sutton had nothing to do with it. Remember, in the Coleman trial, several jurors asked questions about Daphne, seemingly confinced that she was somehow involved. Had the juries been able to hear all of the defendants' statements, the verdicts might have been very different.

An interesting development in this matter is Davidson's attorney's statement that they can prove that Channon and Davidison knew each other prior to that fateful weekend. I dont recall any such evidence in the previous trial. The defense intends to again assert that Channon and Chris voluntarily showed up at the Chipman home and that Channon voluntarily has sex with Davidson. Channons father had to leave the courtroom today after the defendants attorney testified he coudl prove these allegations. My interpretation of Mr. Christian's interview later this afternoon is that he intends to file a grievance with the Tennessee Bar against Davidson's attorneys. This will be very interesting to follow.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ateav
Back