TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden, believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
ABDUCTION
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/[B]abduction[/B]

The act of restraining another through the use or threat of Deadly Force or through fraudulent persuasion. The requisite restraint generally requires that the abductor intend to prevent the liberation of the abductee. Some states require that the abductee be a minor or that the abductor intend to subject the abductee to prostitution or illicit sexual activity.
Cross-references

Kidnapping.
West's Encyclopedia of American Law, edition 2. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

abduction n. the criminal taking away a person by persuasion (convincing someone--particularly a minor or a woman he/she is better off leaving with the persuader), by fraud (telling the person he/she is needed, or that the mother or father wants him/her to come with the abductor), or by open force or violence. Originally abduction applied only to protect women and children as victims. Currently in most states it can also apply to an adult male. In fact, in some states like New York abduction meant the unlawful taking or detention of any female for purposes of "marriage, concubinage or prostitution." Kidnapping is more limited, requiring force, threat of force of an adult or the taking of children. (See: kidnapping)

Okay, I'm just gonna ask, b/c I am not sure I know.

What is the difference between abduction and kidnapping?

Before I came to this forum, my answer would have been: a Ransom.

That's an interesting question. I would have said the same as you.

Holly's not a minor.

I guess I'm asking legal terminology. B/C of the FBI poster.
So I might try to check out legal dictionaries...

You take an adult against their will it is kidnapping and that is what you are charged with.

Kidnapping - to steal, carry off, or abduct by force or fraud, especially for use as a hostage or to extract ransom.

Abduction - the illegal carrying or enticing away of a person, especially by interfering with a relationship, as the taking of a child from its parent.

via dictionary.com

They can be interchangeable, and often are used that way. Let's not get caught up in the wording. :)

oh thanks SWMNBN.

You are right. We should not be caught up in the wording of abduction vs. kidnapping.

I was just trying to see the difference between FBI posters that say "Missing" vs. "Kidnapping"

I think I was running down the wrong track there.

I think it has to do with if the abduction/kidnapping was witnessed somehow.

On some FBI posters for kidnapping victims it says they've got video evidence. Other FBI posters for kidnappings, say the person was seen being taken...

Another missing from Decatur
Virginia Anne Greene
Virginia Anne Greene has been missing since June 12, 2009. She was last seen walking from her residence on South No Pone Valley Road in Decatur, TN around 11:00 a.m.

Virginia is 19 years old, and is described as 5 feet 1 inches tall, 260 pounds, with brown hair and black eyes. Her family is in fear for her safety because she has bipolar disorder.

If you have any information on the whereabouts of Virginia Greene, please call the Meigs County Sheriff's Office at 423-334-5268

She might been mention in the article posted in the last thread. I must miss she was from Decatur.

Another missing from Decatur
Virginia Anne Greene
Virginia Anne Greene has been missing since June 12, 2009. She was last seen walking from her residence on South No Pone Valley Road in Decatur, TN around 11:00 a.m.

Virginia is 19 years old, and is described as 5 feet 1 inches tall, 260 pounds, with brown hair and black eyes. Her family is in fear for her safety because she has bipolar disorder.

If you have any information on the whereabouts of Virginia Greene, please call the Meigs County Sheriff's Office at 423-334-5268

She might been mention in the article posted in the last thread. I must miss she was from Decatur.

That's in Meigs county a few hundred miles away.....Holly disappeared in Decatur county, not the city of Decatur which is in Meigs county.......

http://www.tennesseecriminallawyerblog.com/2007/09/tennessee_law_false_imprisonme.html

Tennessee Law - False Imprisonment and Kidnapping

Good Article. Might be why so much is being kept quiet.

Especially aggravated kidnapping is the most serious of the kidnapping offenses. It is considered to be a Class A felony. Especially aggravated kidnapping is false imprisonment plus:

• Accomplished with a deadly weapon or by display of any article used or fashioned to lead the victim to reasonably believe it to be a deadly weapon;
• Where the victim was under the age of thirteen at the time of the removal or confinement;
• Committed to hold the victim for ransom or reward, or as a shield or hostage; or
• Where the victim suffers serious bodily injury. Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-13-305 (2007)

I am still strongly of the opinion that the perp did not originally use a car because he really didn't need one. I REALLY think he lived cose enough to Holly that he could get her into one area of the woods and out another area taking him right to some location he deemed to be safe. After looking into some people on my own, I do have a viable suspect in mind.....of course all of this is MOO!

When Brenda, Slade Greone and Mark McKenzie were found murdered the DA first charged Duncan with kidnapping x three..plus the three first degree murder charges.

He was asked why and he said because they were ail held against their will and were retrained unable to leave their own home. Therefore; they were kidnapped inside of their home.

So I guess it can depend on the state and what their laws state concerning kidnapping.

Abduction to me is the same thing as kidnapping. Taking someone either under false pretenses, coercion or forcefully removing them.

IMO

I get the distinct impression that this is a stranger abduction, not someone who is familiar with the family. To me they've got a serial killer down there. I also thought I heard there was another girl that someone tried to snatch a couple of weeks ago who lived 60 miles away and that girl also got away and I'm not talking about the girl in January.

Again lots of posts today... Someone asked a few posts back "alive or dead" opinion. Today I'm not feeling really good about things. Mostly because I've been subscribing to lots of things I read and intuit from local posters that they believe this is a local, that the LE and family have understood pretty clearly who it is but are somehow blocked from getting after him (lack of evidence, lawyer). They can't get to him without ruining their case and he was clever enough to obscure the evidence really well. This is all clearly My Opinion only.

Stuff I've been looking at today:

1) This post:
http://www.jacksonsun.com/videonetwork/903287890001/JS-Video-Sheriff-Wyatt-Kidnapping
I hadn't seen this before. It seems to be the 1st interview the local police gave about the case. It confirms that a neighbor heard screams and called 911. --I wasnt sure about this before because I had read that CB called mother then 911 and mother had called 911. I wasn't sure until I saw this about the neighbor calling 911. Not that it really matters.

2. This article:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/16/us-tennessee-woman-missing-idUSTRE73F2C920110416

States >>"Law enforcement officers have said Bobo's white lunch box was found on a creek bed eight miles from her home."<<

I hadn't heard "creek bed" before. I had heard near a creek and had thought from the map it was near side of road. I dont know what I think about the new info. Its just new info.

3. I went back through looking for all "official statements" made by TBI or FBI. I didnt find any FBI, but did look through all these:
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=015060491320469766247:dukuc6cs1yg&ie=UTF-8&q=holly+bobo

The only information I gleaned from that is that when the roadblocks were setup they encompassed all 5 major roads near the Bobo residence. I had relied on the map previously for this info and had made some speculation about direction of travel for the perp. This simply obfuscates my thinking further (no big).

4. Someone posted this awhile back:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/holly-bobo-inside-investigation-13398157

In looking at the video I noticed some of the footage was of two LE overlooking an object on the side of the road(not like images from easter find). I know it means nothing, but I decided to try to grab the image as a still and pop up the resolution a bit. I tried several ways/means of enhancing the image, but I really cant tell much (cant make pixels where they dont exist). Its really not important bc who knows if it turned out to be relevant. It just caught my eye bc they seemed to be awaiting someone to come and check it out.

Heres the image I cropped if anyone cares:
>>unidentifieditem.jpg<<
Again this item is NOTHING. Noone knows if it is connected in any way to this case.

I just wanted to try to see what it was. I still cant tell, but at first I thought maybe its the "crumpled papers" that are not linked to the case in any way by LE, or (and this is embarrassing) I thought maybe it was a brazirre (how u spell that?). I remember reading somewhere they had found a huge brazirre and just wondered how the heck that had gotten out there. The power of suggestion is strong in my subconscious I think!

Also I read from a certain blogger whose initials are boc and listened to an interview of this person on a radio show that gave me reason to re-consider some of the theories of a "local, hard to nail" perp.

>Hope Im not breaking the rules by using "boc" above. I was unsure so didnt post a link. I really dont want to get you riled up grandmaj<

Attachments

• unidentifieditem.jpg
    unidentifieditem.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 60
http://www.tennesseecriminallawyerblog.com/2007/09/tennessee_law_false_imprisonme.html

Especially aggravated kidnapping is the most serious of the kidnapping offenses. It is considered to be a Class A felony. Especially aggravated kidnapping is false imprisonment plus:

• Accomplished with a deadly weapon or by display of any article used or fashioned to lead the victim to reasonably believe it to be a deadly weapon;
• Where the victim was under the age of thirteen at the time of the removal or confinement;
• Committed to hold the victim for ransom or reward, or as a shield or hostage; or
• Where the victim suffers serious bodily injury. Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-13-305 (2007)

Thanks, Doc.

Okay, talk to me like I'm a 3rd grader. Why do you think this would make them keep "more quiet" than "usual"?

:heart: Em

At this point.....what's everybody thinking? She's still alive or no?
Sadly I think she's not been with us almost from the start. Talk of her leaving a trail or whatever else quickly ended and I think we've had a mentally ill perp toying with LE for weeks.

95percent chance Holly is not alive.....5 percent chance for a miracle and she's still alive. Just my unfortunate opinion.
That's about how I feel too. The problem is there is no chatter of anyone missing anywhere in the community...and I mean anywhere. Well at this stage someone would have to be with her and the fact that everyone seems to be mostly accounted for.....

----

I never understood why my grandfather wouldn't watch the news as he got older. He said it just depressed him and was nothing good. Never knew what he meant until this case, and the one in NH hit home. Life is full of absolutely evil people.

I am still strongly of the opinion that the perp did not originally use a car because he really didn't need one. I REALLY think he lived cose enough to Holly that he could get her into one area of the woods and out another area taking him right to some location he deemed to be safe. After looking into some people on my own, I do have a viable suspect in mind.....of course all of this is MOO!

A neighbor certainly would have the ability to observe Holly's daily routine. He would also know the woods around the Bobo's home. He also probably wouldn't have scared Holly when he initially approached her. I'm sure LE has thought of all this and is or has checked every neighbor out. Just my opinion, but I'm on board with the neighbor thing.

Thanks.

I have no doubt if LE catches the person who did this they are going to charge them with kidnapping too. That enhances the penalty... for as you know.. if a person is murdered while the perp was committing another felony it will be used against them if the DA should seek the death penalty.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member