TN TN - Karen Swift, 44, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear. It appears there might be some conflict going on between families. Not looking good.

http://www.kait8.com/story/19985165/karen-swift-murder-investigation-nearing-completion

There was a private service in Dyersburg last weekend for Karen's friends and family.
There was a second memorial service in AK to be held on Tuesday at the gravesite.
The husband didn't make any arrangements for the graveside service in AK, but friends and Karen's family (mother, uncle, etc.) attended that service. There was a public announcement regarding the AK service and I'm sure the boys were welcome to attend, but it appears that someone was upset about not being in control of the situation? One of the boys attempted to cancel the Tues event a couple of hours prior to the start and threatened to call the police if anyone showed up.
I guess what I don't understand is why all the fuss? There are family members and friends from AK who wanted to remember Karen, so why would the boys and dad not respect their wishes?
Why the need to have a showdown?
Is this family divided about David Swift because of a possible arrest? Or is this just a power and control issue?

There was a private service in Dyersburg last weekend for Karen's friends and family.
There was a second memorial service in AK to be held on Tuesday at the gravesite.
The husband didn't make any arrangements for the graveside service in AK, but friends and Karen's family (mother, uncle, etc.) attended that service. There was a public announcement regarding the AK service and I'm sure the boys were welcome to attend, but it appears that someone was upset about not being in control of the situation? One of the boys attempted to cancel the Tues event a couple of hours prior to the start and threatened to call the police if anyone showed up.
I guess what I don't understand is why all the fuss? There are family members and friends from AK who wanted to remember Karen, so why would the boys and dad not respect their wishes?
Why the need to have a showdown?
Is this family divided about David Swift because of a possible arrest? Or is this just a power and control issue?

Just my 2 cents worth.

As with other cases we follow here when a wife or husband is a victim of a crime (disappearance and/or murder) many times family members suspect the husband/wife/partner being involved for various reasons even if they're not officially named as a suspect by LE.

No doubt, this would cause a lot of friction and perhaps that is what is going on here. Perhaps the children sense that Karen's family and friends are pointing the finger at their dad. I don't know but that is what appears to be happening.

Sadly, the kids are the ones who suffer the most because they're on this emotional roller coaster wanting their mom back (they must miss her like crazy), denial that their dad could be responsible and of course anxious wanting justice for their mom and the nightmare to end.

It's a terrible and awful place to be in. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes for any money in the world.

I'm very sad for them. They didn't deserve this. Neither did Karen.

I really wish their dad is not involved but it's not looking good. :(

Just my 2 cents worth.

As with other cases we follow here when a wife or husband is a victim of a crime (disappearance and/or murder) many times family members suspect the husband/wife/partner being involved for various reasons even if they're not officially named as a suspect by LE.

No doubt, this would cause a lot of friction and perhaps that is what is going on here. Perhaps the children sense that Karen's family and friends are pointing the finger at their dad. I don't know but that is what appears to be happening.

Sadly, the kids are the ones who suffer the most because they're on this emotional roller coaster wanting their mom back (they must miss her like crazy), denial that their dad could be responsible and of course anxious wanting justice for their mom and the nightmare to end.

It's a terrible and awful place to be in. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes for any money in the world.

I'm very sad for them. They didn't deserve this. Neither did Karen.

I really wish their dad is not involved but it's not looking good. :(

You're probably correct in your observations. It is sad for the children but at the same time I can't help but wonder if the boy's are taking some of this direction from their father's influence. The boys' are adults now. That doesn't make this situation any less painful or difficult for them, but there is a level of accountability on their shoulders. Alienating their grandparents and maternal family members won't bode well for their future or the future of the minor girls. No doubt this is a tragic situation all around, but my heart also goes out to Karen's mother and she doesn't deserve to lose her grandchildren. They are all she has left of Karen and I can't help thinking the husband has a lot to do with all of this. JMO

This is the first time I've checked in on Karen's thread in a while. It is so disappointing that the case hasn't been resolved. I can't imagine what her kids are going through. Life sure is confusing.

I am very discouraged that LE is implying that evidence can take a year to process. That makes me think they don't really have much of anything to work with. NOTHING takes a year. I fear they have husband's DNA, but not in a way that can prove he murdered her. Even if there is no other DNA present, not sure that is enough, unless there was DNA in her wounds, depending upon how she died. But if that was the case, surely it would not take a year to determine and make an arrest?

I am very discouraged that LE is implying that evidence can take a year to process. That makes me think they don't really have much of anything to work with. NOTHING takes a year. I fear they have husband's DNA, but not in a way that can prove he murdered her. Even if there is no other DNA present, not sure that is enough, unless there was DNA in her wounds, depending upon how she died. But if that was the case, surely it would not take a year to determine and make an arrest?

This case certainly brings about :waitasec: (confusion). I think that the evidence is from someone that is close enough to Karen that their DNA would be expected to be on her / her clothes/ her car / etc.... I think that is the hard part of building this case. I too wonder why they would imply that testing would take a year. But, this is the TBI we are talking about. I have to say that they do NOT have a great track record this last couple of years.

Sorry, going to put my nose in the corner now :truce:

http://www.jacksonsun.com/viewart/2...yer-County-sheriff-Slaying-probe-final-stages
“We are at the final stages of the investigation, and we are pushing hard for an indictment or an arrest,” Box said. “We still only have one person of interest in the case, and everything is coming together as it should and we should be able to complete the investigation soon.”

I sure hope we see an arrest this week.

Now if we could get this kind of action for Holly.

http://www.jacksonsun.com/viewart/2...yer-County-sheriff-Slaying-probe-final-stages
“We are at the final stages of the investigation, and we are pushing hard for an indictment or an arrest,” Box said. “We still only have one person of interest in the case, and everything is coming together as it should and we should be able to complete the investigation soon.”

Well this sounds encouraging!

If the 'one person of interest' is who we think it is, I hope LE goes about this as thoughtfully as possible, with the safety of the two girls in mind. We've seen some parents crash and take down their kids with them, when they feel like LE is closing in. :(

What does "pushing" for an arrest mean? Does it mean the DA is giving him a hard time? :waitasec:

Oh how I await the day that I log into WS and see the glorious asterisks encasing the word arrest in bold print.. *ARREST* here on the title for Karen's thread..

Several days ago I had typed a post in reply to discussions regarding DS and the possibility of him not even being the "unnamed suspect".. The possibility that he was not at all who LE have referred to as their one and only prime suspect for the heinous murder of this beautiful momma of 4..but of course as is known to randomly occur somehow my post just literally was forever lost somewhere between the submit button being clicked and the page refreshing itself..poof..

So, while I won't dare even attempt to type out all of the thoughts and opinions I expressed in what was one of my unfortunately long winded posts:blushing:.. I will simply cut right to the chase..

There is not even the most remote of chances one can even fathom that the unnamed, prime, one and only suspect is anyone other in this entire universe but Karen's very own "husband" and "father" to her four children, DS.. In my opinion that is just absolute fact beyond any shadow of any doubt to the degree of certainty that if I were to be proven WRONG, as in the unnamed, prime suspect is someone other than DS.. THAT I WOULD HAPPILY EAT CROW, OPENLY ADMIT MY BEING DEAD WRONG, AS WELL AS FOREVER, PERMANENTLY EXCUSE MYSELF FROM MY POSTING PRIVILEGES IN FOLLOWING CASES HERE AT WEBSLEUTHS(which needless to say I would do UNHAPPILY)..

Its a guaranteee that yes, I would be none too thrilled with having chosen to excuse myself from posting alongside so many of you great sleuths.. But far surpassing any feelings of woe or regret I may feel would be my being beyond thrilled for Karen's beautiful two young daughters, and her strong older sons for the fact that their tragic, brutal loss of their momma was NOT at the very hands of their daddy.. That tho, the loss of their mom would still be of great magnitude it would atleast leave them with one parent to love, guide, and be there for them through that long, difficult road of grieving the death of their mom..and for that I would be so grateful for these four wonderful children....

So very sadly that's just not the case.. So very sadly IMO it is the selfish, self serving actions and behaviors of their very own daddy that will rob these precious children of not just one, but both of their parents in one fell swoop..

Oh how I await the day that I log into WS and see the glorious asterisks encasing the word arrest in bold print.. *ARREST* here on the title for Karen's thread..

Several days ago I had typed a post in reply to discussions regarding DS and the possibility of him not even being the "unnamed suspect".. The possibility that he was not at all who LE have referred to as their one and only prime suspect for the heinous murder of this beautiful momma of 4..but of course as is known to randomly occur somehow my post just literally was forever lost somewhere between the submit button being clicked and the page refreshing itself..poof..

So, while I won't dare even attempt to type out all of the thoughts and opinions I expressed in what was one of my unfortunately long winded posts:blushing:.. I will simply cut right to the chase..

There is not even the most remote of chances one can even fathom that the unnamed, prime, one and only suspect is anyone other in this entire universe but Karen's very own "husband" and "father" to her four children, DS.. In my opinion that is just absolute fact beyond any shadow of any doubt to the degree of certainty that if I were to be proven WRONG, as in the unnamed, prime suspect is someone other than DS.. THAT I WOULD HAPPILY EAT CROW, OPENLY ADMIT MY BEING DEAD WRONG, AS WELL AS FOREVER, PERMANENTLY EXCUSE MYSELF FROM MY POSTING PRIVILEGES IN FOLLOWING CASES HERE AT WEBSLEUTHS(which needless to say I would do UNHAPPILY)..

Its a guaranteee that yes, I would be none too thrilled with having chosen to excuse myself from posting alongside so many of you great sleuths.. But far surpassing any feelings of woe or regret I may feel would be my being beyond thrilled for Karen's beautiful two young daughters, and her strong older sons for the fact that their tragic, brutal loss of their momma was NOT at the very hands of their daddy.. That tho, the loss of their mom would still be of great magnitude it would atleast leave them with one parent to love, guide, and be there for them through that long, difficult road of grieving the death of their mom..and for that I would be so grateful for these four wonderful children....

So very sadly that's just not the case.. So very sadly IMO it is the selfish, self serving actions and behaviors of their very own daddy that will rob these precious children of not just one, but both of their parents in one fell swoop..

Absolutely agree. Good post and unfortunately sad but true. The only thing that exceeds my sadness for the children is my increasing anxiety, anger and frustration due to the fact that no arrest has been made. Every time I think about this pathetic, unnamed POI going about his daily business I want to scream. :banghead:

Kind of reminds me of the OH - Patricia "Patti" Adkins, 29, Marysville, 29 June 2001 case where there was always hope the drop of blood would one day be tested and used as evidence... but appears even if it was, it wasn't conclusive enough...
OH OH - Patricia "Patti" Adkins, 29, Marysville, 29 June 2001 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

How will DS every be able to say he's sorry to his children for the charade of innocence he has put them through for past year if he is arrested and convicted?

Children are hardy. They have coped and have come to some conclusion or way of dealing with their mother no longer being present....yet the scars will always be there. It would have been hard enough if he confessed, but just how are they suppose to tear all those pieces of reconciliation down and build a new one? Or will they stand by their father's side in believing him? They could. I'm so concerned for them. :please:, but just so saddened as well.

I haven't followed her case faithfully since the beginning, so this may have been mentioned; but, is there the possibility LE didn't name him a POI or suspect to halter her family from seeking custody....at least temporarily until he had been cleared or arrested? This is a subject I have a debate with myself over many times, and lean toward a yes,...they should be removed. Touchy subject, I know...and can see both the pros and cons to it.

If you google Karen Swift and the word Topix-- you will find 70,000+ comments on the thread. Yes, some are rumor. But, a lot of people tend to agree on SOME things.

What does "pushing" for an arrest mean? Does it mean the DA is giving him a hard time? :waitasec:

Honestly, I think this sheriff just has a "way" with words, so whatever he says comes off sounding awkward. LE should not have to "push" for an arrest; they present a case and go on to the next one, while the DA takes over. At least, that is how it works with normal LE agencies...

I've followed Karen's story from the beginning, but a little slower on joining WS just last month. Still trying to read through the 3 threads to catch up so I've probably missed a few things (or 20).

From the limited info we know and the bizarre "up for interpretation" statements by authorities there on the ground, I have a strong feeling who the POI/ suspect they refer to is. Would be shocked if it's someone else but dang! At this point if it's "him" or someone else, they better have eyes on this individual and a guilty verdict and sentence all but signed, sealed and delivered whenever they finally decide to make that arrest. IF they ever do.

I'm sure it's been asked, probably over and over here, and in the community, but how can they have one person in mind but feel confident he's not a risk? Either to flee or to endanger himself or others? Have authorities assured the local public that they have ZERO reason to be in fear with the POI/suspect living in the community/at large or somewhere in their jurisdiction? And if they can assure them they're safe, why is a suspected killer being trusted when it seems *some* evidence has been there for so long?

Has it been the Sheriff himself speaking to the press (Box, is the name?) or do they have a PIO? It seems they should have someone doing a better job than whoever is currently interacting with the media now. I'm not local there, but in wanting Karen's killer to be brought to justice this is ridiculous! And for the locals, I can't imagine how frustrating it is!

Okay, excuse my first post/vent here on Karen's thread... I've been reading and following this by myself for the last year so I'm glad to be in the company of those also waiting (impatiently!) for justice.

Lotus,

Great post!

:welcome4:

This case is frustrating to be certain. I feel like we are on a :rollercoaster: with news coming out about only ONE suspect, and an arrest is imminent (this has been said several times over the last year).

One thing is certain, Karen did not deserve to be killed. Her kids should have their mother there with them raising them and caring for them. She should have been given a chance to live a long life.

I am still here awaiting justice too. I am hoping that Sheriff Box was not just blowing smoke when he said that the "last evidence" recently collected will help them with their case. I am hoping that Box has not been giving false hope that there will be an arrest. I know that he is trying, but I still wonder if there is just not enough evidence for an indictment. Or, could the LE department just not have enough experience in prosecuting a tough case? Could they just not realize when they reach that threshold of enough circumstantial evidence to prove their case? Or is the DA the one not convinced that there is enough evidence?

:waiting:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member