TN TN - Karen Swift, 44, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Google Karen's name a couple of times a day thinking there has to be something new about the case, perhaps even an arrest from what Box said about going to pick up the recently completed evidence from the crime lab. I believe that has been over a week ago when the evidence was supposed to be picked up but still nothing.

I guess I'm to the point now where I'm not surprised when there is no new information when I do my daily searches.

Hopefully today is the day.

JMO

I Google Karen's name a couple of times a day thinking there has to be something new about the case, perhaps even an arrest from what Box said about going to pick up the recently completed evidence from the crime lab. I believe that has been over a week ago when the evidence was supposed to be picked up but still nothing.

I guess I'm to the point now where I'm not surprised when there is no new information when I do my daily searches.

Hopefully today is the day.

JMO

I do the same. It's been 15 days since we heard the case was nearing completion.

<snipped>

I am hoping that Box has not been giving false hope that there will be an arrest. I know that he is trying, but I still wonder if there is just not enough evidence for an indictment. Or, could the LE department just not have enough experience in prosecuting a tough case? Could they just not realize when they reach that threshold of enough circumstantial evidence to prove their case? Or is the DA the one not convinced that there is enough evidence?

:waiting:

I'm with you on all of these thoughts.... it's all so bizarre, how it's being handled. On top of the angst and frustration. I really hope that when there is an arrest and a trial (or should I be safe and say 'if' there is ever ? :banghead:) all of these questions make sense. I'm cynical now that the occasional statements of promise are just to save face and appease the public. Again I hope this is wrong. And I hope that all the waiting means an eventual trial will be as close to a slam dunk as they come.
Now where is the "not holding my breath" icon??:waitasec:

I do the same. It's been 15 days since we heard the case was nearing completion.

It's beyond frustrating that every time I search for recent news or web reports on Karen the only results are from WS these days (months).

Their labs and offices better be moving constantly with SOME progress and activity more so than my google updates ! Geesh!

Figured I'd vent for a moment, nothing has happened (STILL, of course), not surprising but no less disheartening.

I keep re-reading the Nov. 1st article
http://www.stategazette.com/story/1909720.html
shaking my head at what Box repeatedly says with all of the false promises of arrests and action. Given how angry I am, I cannot imagine what this is like for Karen's family and the community who lives this each moment of everyday... They deserve so much better than this investigation and so does Karen.

I'm hoping that the next we hear from Box is definitive and not another excuse explaining what he last said, buying the authorities more time for whatever reason.

Thurs. 11/1/12
"We are at the final stages of the investigation and we are pushing hard for an indictment or an arrest," said Box. "We still only have one person of interest in the case and everything is coming together as it should and we should be able to complete the investigation soon."

"Next week, investigators will travel to the Nashville TBI forensics lab and pick up processed evidence in the case and bring it back to the sheriff's department," said Box. "Early on in the investigation you had to give investigators time to do their job. You couldn't push them to just come up with evidence just to make an arrest. It had to be prepared correctly and if it took a little while to do it properly and correctly then so be it. What matters is the final outcome and that is a murder conviction."

"It gives us some relief that the case is nearly complete," said Box. "It has been strenuous on us and it has also been a strain on the community."

Still waiting......
Maybe he should stop with the feel good statements when they make the department and investigation look inept.

Let TODAY be the day there is good news.

I saw Karen's thread pop up to the top and I figured today was finally the day :sigh:

I saw Karen's thread pop up to the top and I figured today was finally the day :sigh:

HA.. I'm sorry!! Is there a way to designate a post as "Nothing to see here" or "Moooove right along"? I'll keep quiet so as not to cause false hope. But :please: please! :please: let good news come soon!

Figured I'd vent for a moment, nothing has happened (STILL, of course), not surprising but no less disheartening.

I keep re-reading the Nov. 1st article
shaking my head at what Box repeatedly says with all of the false promises of arrests and action. Given how angry I am, I cannot imagine what this is like for Karen's family and the community who lives this each moment of everyday... They deserve so much better than this investigation and so does Karen.

I'm hoping that the next we hear from Box is definitive and not another excuse explaining what he last said, buying the authorities more time for whatever reason.

Thurs. 11/1/12
"We are at the final stages of the investigation and we are pushing hard for an indictment or an arrest," said Box. "We still only have one person of interest in the case and everything is coming together as it should and we should be able to complete the investigation soon."

"Next week, investigators will travel to the Nashville TBI forensics lab and pick up processed evidence in the case and bring it back to the sheriff's department," said Box. "Early on in the investigation you had to give investigators time to do their job. You couldn't push them to just come up with evidence just to make an arrest. It had to be prepared correctly and if it took a little while to do it properly and correctly then so be it. What matters is the final outcome and that is a murder conviction."

"It gives us some relief that the case is nearly complete," said Box. "It has been strenuous on us and it has also been a strain on the community."

Still waiting......
Maybe he should stop with the feel good statements when they make the department and investigation look inept.

Let TODAY be the day there is good news.
Makes me wonder if these statements are being made not so much to assure the family and public, but to try to spook the POI into confessing? Sounds like they want him to think they have loads of evidence when really they do not. If this is their tactic, I don't think it's working. :sigh:

bumping Karen back up to the top

(and anxiously awaiting some news :waiting: )

:bump:

It is the first of December. Hoping for an arrest by Christmas!

I have this image of "bungling" LE in my mind and it is possibly unfair...but can't help it.

My image about this case is that the evidence just didn't pan out to be good enough for a DA to go forward. A case of - just because there was nothing to show someone other her husband might have done this, you cannot turn that around to say then he must have done it. Need something conclusive, and I get the feeling it just isn't there or it's very weak.

I've mentioned this before, how Karen's case reminds me so much of the Stephanie Roller Bruner case

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/dateline/49309996#49309996

in that there was also nothing to show someone other than her husband did it, but in SRB's case there was no late night party that he husband could say Stephanie came home and then went out again. All he could say is ]she was home and went out for a walk in the frigid night, in the middle of nowhere...

Yes, SRB could still be case of something random, but Stephanie also had been in email contact that night with the person she wanted to run away with, and the was history of her husband being violent with her in the same manner she was killed IIRC, oh and SRB's husband said they had not been fighting that night, but he daughter said she heard them fighting! So there is allot of evidence a DA could use in this case.... What does the DA have in Karen's case?

My image about this case is that the evidence just didn't pan out to be good enough for a DA to go forward. A case of - just because there was nothing to show someone other her husband might have done this, you cannot turn that around to say then he must have done it. Need something conclusive, and I get the feeling it just isn't there or it's very weak.

I've mentioned this before, how Karen's case reminds me so much of the Stephanie Roller Bruner case

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/dateline/49309996#49309996

in that there was also nothing to show someone other than her husband did it, but in SRB's case there was no late night party that he husband could say Stephanie came home and then went out again. All he could say is ]she was home and went out for a walk in the frigid night, in the middle of nowhere...

Yes, SRB could still be case of something random, but Stephanie also had been in email contact that night with the person she wanted to run away with, and the was history of her husband being violent with her in the same manner she was killed IIRC, oh and SRB's husband said they had not been fighting that night, but he daughter said she heard them fighting! So there is allot of evidence a DA could use in this case.... What does the DA have in Karen's case?

RE: in that there was also nothing to show someone other than her husband did it.

Agreed, Steve, sort of.. Imo, Karen's murder investigation has been very complicated and an arrest and prosecution long overdue. Seems that there has been more twists and turns in this 13 month investigation than a long distance trucker with hemorrhoids.
With that said, someone posted in an earlier thread that her murder had all the makings of a southern gothic novel; Halloween party, full moon/total lunar eclipse, 3 iron crosses, 1800's historic graveyard, possible posing of her body in the kudzoo , etc.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155518&page=15(full moon lunar eclipse photo- post #365 by Otto)

Normally I am very critical of LE during missing/murdered investigations. In this case I have been monitoring the investigation, as well as the Dyer Co., TN Sheriff's Department & Sheriff Box very closely. I must admit that the conclusions that I have come too have left me very optimistic that the guilty will be arrested/convicted and Karen Swift & her family will eventually receive Justice..
Sheriff Jeff Box & the Dyer County Sheriff's Department are very professional. Although there are many reasons that I have come to this conclusion, their newly designed website, focus on cleaning up the area's meth problems, excellent training program, and public awareness efforts in the past year, are only a few.

http://www.dyercountysheriff.com/
DYER COUNTY SHERIFF' DEPARTMENT

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000944188928&fref=ts
Sheriff Jeff Box Facebook

I guess when he says they're close to an arrest/pushing for an arrest, we shouldn't take it literally? We're approaching the holidays, if no arrest is made soon, I doubt we'll get one before the new year. Wish I was as confident with TN LE as some of you are.

September

Arrest may be near in Karen Swift murder

http://www.wmctv.com/story/19441454/arrest-may-be-near-in-karen-swift-murder

November

Sheriff: Final stages of Swift investigation, pushing for an arrest

Today marks the one year anniversary of finding Karen's body. I can't even imagine how frustrated her family must be considering all they get from local LE is "promises, promises".

Many have expressed concern regarding LE incompetence in this case. I have to agree. I don't care how many excuses, news reports, etc this Sheriff puts out, the fact of the matter is, no one has been arrested. Mr. Sheriff doesn't get a pass from me just because he likes to give a press release. The whole thing is beyond stupid, IMO. All the "talk" about trial preparation is complete and utter BS. Why would anyone prep for a trial when no arrest has been made? If this is how the state of TN conducts criminal proceedings, they have a lot to learn. It's no wonder they have so many missing person cases and unsolved murders in that state. Some of us actually care enough to be insulted by the lack of progress being made on this case and the simpleton effort put forth by a few false promises in the local news.

RIP Karen

*SIGH* .. everytime I see an update I just KNOW there is an announcement of an arrest or something ...

I think of Karen often..

:waiting:

Monday marked the one-year anniversary in which the body of Karen Swift was found. It also marked the one-year anniversary Dyer County Sheriff's investigators turned their missing person investigation into a murder investigation. Since that time, sheriff's investigators have focused their attention in bringing her killer to justice and preparing the case for trial.
Although the Dyer County Grand Jury met on Monday, Dyer County Sheriff Jeff Box said the case was not presented to them. With grand jury dates always known, Box said, if needed, he would make a request to District Attorney Phil Bivens to call a special grand jury. Even if a special grand jury is called, Box stated he would not announce if an indictment had been made until a suspect is in custody.

"We wouldn't announce if an indictment had been made and jeopardize the lives of those officers executing an arrest warrant," said Box. "That just wouldn't happen."

Box pointed out the investigation is ongoing and too much effort and time has been put into the case for them to not present it to a grand jury until they are ready to go to court.

"People have no idea of the amount of evidence we have had to process and what all we have had to do without there being any eyewitness to Karen's murder," said Box. "This case is still ongoing and we have several more things we would like to do to insure we get a conviction when this case goes to court."
http://www.stategazette.com/story/1921468.html

:eek:

:nevermind:

:waiting: .............

Honestly, do they believe they need to present their entire case to a Grand Jury? Do they not know how it works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member