Found Safe TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here's how I see it. TC is taking an awful chance having them both in the same store together. Everyone is looking for two people, and there they are. He's much less likely to get noticed going in alone. Instead he brings her along. He does this because he can't control her when she's out of his sight, or he doesn't trust her. So he brings her along with him. Captors, especially those who have been trained to be sub, will smile and know how to be good so their captors treat them well. It can be hard for people who haven't either been through it, or worked with it, to understand. ET's upbringing taught her to be a submissive, and I'm using that term meaning exactly what it means. TC is a dominant control figure, it's why he got into teaching, it's why he was a bully to anyone his equal it's why he changed jobs often, and it's why he "likes 'em young" so to speak. I'm going to bet his wife was very kind, quiet, did what she was told and that they got married very young doesn't surprise me. So he's got guns and she's his property and I'm sure he's told her how to act What I see is her looking up at him like a dog does at a dog show to see if he's pleased. He's not looking at her, he's maintaining control. This is not on any level an equal relationship. Walk into a store with one of your friends, or your spouse and you'll turn your head and talk with them. It's what people who are truly with each other do, unless they're upset with each other. She's keeping open body language, but it's still protective in the way she's tight. Her hair is stringy and greasy, teens don't go out in public looking like that. They won't even go out with a pimple on their faces and the wrong makeup. Anyone with a teen daughter has had to suffer through a bad hair day when they child won't go out and has a complete meltdown over being seen without being perfect. So no, I don't get the "I'm on holiday with the man of my dreams" vibe. There's no touching, only very stiff movements and while it was great to see her alive and breathing, the detached look on her face frightens me.
In addition, he is armed. She isn't going to do ANYTHING to ruffle his feathers IMO.

Hopefully if there is another sighting he will have bought her some new clothes!
If she is still wearing the same clothes after 2 weeks, he IMO, really doesn't care about her one way or the other.
I see them sleeping in rest stop parking lots, and washing with baby wipes or something. I don't believe this is the life she was promised prior to taking off with him.
MOO

He's already proven to me that he doesn't care about her one way or the other. But I agree, I should hope he at least gets her some clean new clothes. It would be the humane thing to do and it would look better for him when he gets caught or turns himself in.

Hopefully if there is another sighting he will have bought her some new clothes!
If she is still wearing the same clothes after 2 weeks, he IMO, really doesn't care about her one way or the other.
I see them sleeping in rest stop parking lots, and washing with baby wipes or something. I don't believe this is the life she was promised prior to taking off with him.
MOO
Do you think he ever cared about her? I wouldn't believe it if he took her to Saks the next day.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

In my experience, when someone has been a victim of abuse, especially chronic abuse, they do everything they can to PLEASE. That's their way to try to avoid more pain. There's hyper vigilance towards the abuser. They are always wondering if that person is getting upset, if something they did or said is going to set them off. They are constantly aware of the other person, so they can be "good".

Do you think he ever cared about her? I wouldn't believe it if he took her to Saks the next day.

IMO, he only cares about himself. This was never about love for him, it's all about control. I don't think it would have mattered to him who he was able to manipulate into his twisted little fantasy world, he just wanted to be in control of someone.

I think the oversized shirt of his is a strange thing to wear. If she was wearing it on her own you would think she would make it look more cute, roll up the sleeves or something. There is something just "off" about this other than she has been kidnapped by a 50 year old. Seems also if she's wearing it because its all she has that they would of picked up something cute for her to wear. It's Walmart, they have cute stuff for cheap. I do not get the impression that he is trying in any way to make her happy. I really wish she was found.

He's already proven to me that he doesn't care about her one way or the other. But I agree, I should hope he at least gets her some clean new clothes. It would be the humane thing to do and it would look better for him when he gets caught or turns himself in.

She took an armload of clothing with her, didn't she?

IMO, he only cares about himself. This was never about love for him, it's all about control. I don't think it would have mattered to him who he was able to manipulate into his twisted little fantasy world, he just wanted to be in control of someone.
YES! Thanks isn't enough. You are absolutely right!

In my experience, when someone has been a victim of abuse, especially chronic abuse, they do everything they can to PLEASE. That's their way to try to avoid more pain. There's hyper vigilance towards the abuser. They are always wondering if that person is getting upset, if something they did or said is going to set them off. They are constantly aware of the other person, so they can be "good".

YES. Thank you. This is 100% true. And abuse victims can also form a codependency for their abuser. They can believe that the abuser is the only one who knows how to love them. (This is how abusers manipulate.) They can want their attention, even if it's abusive. They an defend them, put themselves in danger for them.

She might think she wants to be with him and that she loves him. She might think he is the only one who understands and loves her. She might even defend him after she is found. That does NOT make her less of a victim. In fact, it highlights the extreme trauma abuse has on people.

YES. Thank you. This is 100% true. And abuse victims can also form a codependency for their abuser. They can believe that the abuser is the only one who knows how to love them. (This is how abusers manipulate.) They can want their attention, even if it's abusive. They an defend them, put themselves in danger for them.

She might think she wants to be with him and that she loves him. She might think he is the only one who understands and loves her. She might even defend him after she is found. That does NOT make her less of a victim. In fact, it highlights the extreme trauma abuse has on people.
Very well written!

And with that, I need to step away for a bit. If people are going to sleuth crime, you'd think they would take the time to study some basic concepts about victims. I'm incredulous.

I brought this comment over from the last thread.

No disrespect toward her looks. Just I have 6 daughters and they shower, do their hair, and make-up 3 times a day! I was insinuating that she wasn't having a fun time.
In fact, she looks terrorized to me. I certainly hope not but she is with a dangerous individual who is possibly threatening her, abusing her, and she may not feel she has a way out.
For all we know he is telling her she will go to juvie till she is 18 if she gets caught. HE is manipulating her and I think she is a frightened little girl.
JMO

I wasn't insinuating he's not doing those things. I definitely think she's been manipulated so don't get me wrong. I have 2 girls who are happy to throw their hair in a ponytail and throw on some sweats and head out the door. Not all girls are into getting all gussied up.

According the the family lawyer on NG podcast, ET told a friend prior to her disappearance "they're heading West" (min 8:40)
Student friend was told by ET specific place at one point then waffled then acted she could not remember but it was out west (min 10:40) acted like she didn't remember.
"ET orignally had a plan of a person who would help hide them but that "didn't work out" so she had to go with another plan. This was all known weeks before she left by one of her friends "
Conversation suggests Utah, old-young pair would blend in.
Lawyer thinks ultimate destination is somewhere in the I 40 corridor/I40 ends LA area (min 15:16)
TC brazen, kept goatee
Timing of OKC video lawyer thinks they may have hung around there in that area prior since drive time from TN to OKC is shorter than when sighting happened.

Very well written!

And with that, I need to step away for a bit. If people are going to sleuth crime, you'd think they would take the time to study some basic concepts about victims. I'm incredulous.

Ditto.

When I check in tomorrow, I hope she is found and he's in custody.

Yes - This. I don't think TC is abusing her in the most common sense of the word, but rather by making her dependent on him. After being abused for years...once she felt accepted and loved, she will do whatever it takes to keep that feeling. It's his responsibility as an adult to stop it from happening.

It was evident in their Instagram posts. He would always hashtag #imokay. I believe she thinks she loves him.. but in reality it's the feeling of comfort and safety that she loves.

My theory... She went willingly but only under coercion. Look. She's wearing the same shirt he was wearing when he was pumping gas in Columbia, indicating she was under-prepared for travel. However, she knew enough ​to tell a friend she was going out west. Mixed feelings would explain the mixed information, like her fear of him while still planning to go.

I think he convinced her he could give her a better life using his master manipulation skills. Regardless of her home life, she was new to school and therefore apart from the safety of the pack. This would have made her an easy target, and he used her struggles and willingness to be vulnerable to create a dependency.

Her wearing his shirt might be an indication that her bag was stolen, rather than her coming back and getting it.

To me, her hair and possibly his as well looks wet or as if it got wet and dried naturally rather than being styled. Anyone know the weather in the area that day? Or maybe this was shortly after they dyed their hair? If her hair IS wet in the photo, it would probably be quite a bit lighter when it dried.

Yes - This. I don't think TC is abusing her in the most common sense of the word, but rather by making her dependent on him. After being abused for years...once she felt accepted and loved, she will do whatever it takes to keep that feeling. It's his responsibility as an adult to stop it from happening.

It was evident in their Instagram posts. He would always hashtag #imokay. I believe she thinks she loves him.. but in reality it's the feeling of comfort and safety that she loves.

I think you're absolutely right...he manipulated her into thinking that he was her knight in shining armor who would keep her safe from the rest of the world.

According the the family lawyer on NG podcast, ET told a friend prior to her disappearance "they're heading West" (min 8:40)
Student friend was told by ET specific place at one point then waffled then acted she could not remember but it was out west (min 10:40) acted like she didn't remember.
"ET orignally had a plan of a person who would help hide them but that "didn't work out" so she had to go with another plan. This was all known weeks before she left by one of her friends "
Conversation suggests Utah, old-young pair would blend in.
Lawyer thinks ultimate destination is somewhere in the I 40 corridor/I40 ends LA area (min 15:16)
TC brazen, kept goatee
Timing of OKC video lawyer thinks they may have hung around there in that area prior since drive time from TN to OKC is shorter than when sighting happened.

Sounds like she's glad to be gone with him. I've heard of midlife crisis but she probably younger than his own kids. How gross he probably died his hair to cover the gray to look younger.

It amazes me that someone - at that perfect time - recognized them? How else would there be a sighting such as this?

Does anyone know how long Walmart retains video before it's deleted? Are there seriously cameras in every aisle?

I assume someone called in a tip 2 weeks ago and the TBI/FBI just recently found tape (understanding that they had a LOT of tips to week through)?

Would the sighting in Corpus Christi make sense a week later? I dunno if he'd chance a crossing at that late date.

Her wearing his shirt might be an indication that her bag was stolen, rather than her coming back and getting it.

To me, her hair and possibly his as well looks wet or as if it got wet and dried naturally rather than being styled. Anyone know the weather in the area that day? Or maybe this was shortly after they dyed their hair? If her hair IS wet in the photo, it would probably be quite a bit lighter when it dried.

IIRC one comment on an earlier thread about borrowing the bathing suite was that she borrowed clothes all the time from siblings, made her feel close. So now she is borrowing his.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix