GUILTY TN - Sean Powell, 18, shot to death, Knoxville, 10 March 2007

Court TV or In Session is showing the trial during the week. The husband's problem is that he just doesn't have a back bone. Most husbands would never put up with the crap that he put up with. The kid flaunting the affair right in the husband's face. He told the husband..."within a week your sons will be calling me daddy!" Can you imagine?! He caught his wife and the kid having sex in the kid's car. The kid walked in and out of their house when he wanted to and was just a real punk. Most husbands would have beat the chit out of that kid about the first time he pulled some of that stuff. Then went after the wife. The husband said that he let her get away with the affair because he loved her and when he didn't cross her she was nice to him :confused: The husband was going to school and working two jobs to support the family is my understanding. His work and school were scheduled so that he could take the boys to school and pick them up afterwards.

I feel sad for the husband because he is so simple. How can you love someone to that degree is beyond me. Maybe she was his first love and his first piece of you know what.

It was said that she is now living with another teenager in some other state or city. The husband hasn't seen the boys for over a year. The mother won't allow it. That wife is a few eggs short of a carton! I wonder if she is going to testify.

there is already a thread about this case, maybe they could be merged

FYI I apparently went to Middle School with Eric. I don't remember him, but a mutual friend from that time said he saw Eric just before the shooting at the Co-op and they talked about me. Weird, huh. I can't help but say that if Eric hadn't had a gun available to him it would have ended up a good old a$$ beating like the kid deserved. Instead, because of the firearm and Eric's use of it, it snowballed into a horrible situation. I actually think Eric seems like a really nice guy who did a terrible thing and he knows it. I feel so sorry for his kids.

today the jury got to see the tape from the cops car after he was arrested, and a very dark crime scene video with the victim still in situ

they also got to hear about Erics suicide note that he had written at one time and it was left in the master bedroom, and noted from his journal about the marraige, and a letter he had written but not sent to the victim

Today we also heard testimony about the gun, and it was shown to the jury, and the safety features and the steps needed to fire it were explained

they will be back tomorrow at 1.30pm

Sean (the victim) mothers both testified today, his biological mother, and his adoptive mother, both very moving testimony, and the jury now know who Sean is, and what devastation the murder has caused

today we have had the investigators who worked the case, seems both Eric and Erin Mclean were very reluctant to assist LE with there case, Erin refused to talk to LE on the night of the murder once she got to the police station, asked for an attorney and got her father to pick her up without giving a statement

Eric (who now can't be shut up about the events, he talks to the media at every given oppurtunity) told LE that night that his memory was blank from the moment he asked Sean to leave, but he did nod his head when they asked him if he shot Sean and if he knew he had killed him - it is only later that we get the whole they drove me to it act,

plus today we learn that he only knew of the affair for 1 and a half months prior to the murders

Today we saw Eric Mclean interrogation by cops the day after the murder, imo the cops talked themselves out of any hope of getting a 1st degree conviction, by thinking they are smarter than they are
they gave Eric his whole defence, byt doing the softly softly interview to get him to talk, they told him (an you can imagine how the defence atty must have done a happy dance when he got the tape) that his wife had pushed him to do it, that the kid was disrespecting him and any reasonable person coulod see why he had to do what he did, they told him they knew he probably never intended to shoot to kill that he just wanted to scare Sean, and on and on and on, it was the best interview tape anybody could ever have hoped for, and best thing for the defence is the prosecution are playing it

I am apppalled at just how stupid the cops were, they did not even need a confession to solve this case, now imo Eric will be unlucky if he gets any jail time due to the cops not using a bit of intelligence,

Last witness was the ME, a very good witness, she stuck to all her opinions and trfused to be moved from an opinion by a hypothetical from the defence

her opinion was that Sean was shot by the rifle at close range from inside the passenger door of his car, he was hit first in his right hand, which he had thrown up as a defence against the gun, he was then hit in the head above the right eyebrow and the exit was left back of his head, it was a very traumatic in jury, which blew apart his skull, he did not die instantly as bllod and pulped brain were in his trachea,

it was a very clinical assasination, imo - but the prosecution have been hampered by the fact that the defendants wife refuses to testofy, she is in hiding from her supbeona according to the media, so the defence have impunity to say what they like about the wife and the victim knowing there is nobody to challenge the defendants story

the state has now rested, so the defence begins tomorrow

The defence is trying to find Erin Mclean to serve her with a supboena to testify according to media reports, how true this is I don't know, as I could see her being very damaging to there case, she could say Eric was abusive, she could say Eric had previously threatened to kill Sean, so I think that this may just be spin,

I wonder why Erin didn't get in trouble for having an affair with a student.

I wonder why Erin didn't get in trouble for having an affair with a student.

the prosecution stated in opening Erin has committed no crime, so she must have convinced them (or because Sean was dead and they wanted her to testify in this case they never looked at the dates too hard) that the affair began after Sean was suspended from school in the November,

and he was 18 at that time, so she has never had criminal charges laid,

did not help the pros though with her cooperation as she as never been willing to talk to them and she appears to be very unwilling to testify

I watched some of his testimony today - pretty compelling stuff. Based on his testimony so far - I'm inclined to believe that he just snapped - that he didn't premeditate the killing. Thanks for posting the links by the way - I appreciate it!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back