Trial Discussion Thread #22 - 14.04.10, Day 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
O: I apologised for the sorrow I've caused the Steenkamp family...

N: Did you feel better?

Nel Now asks why OP made a public spectacle, apologising in public. O says he doesn't think they were ready before.

N: Again, you never thought about them...did you think how they'd feel if you did in the glare of the public?

Carp...I have a flight at 9 this a.m.

I will be missing some good stuff....poopie

nel.. why would you create a spectacle in court with your apology to mrs steenkamp..

Oscar.. I didn't have the opportunity to do it before. if I could have remembered an eloquent speech..

Nel. you never thought about them. you never thought how they would experience it yu only thought about Oscar..

Oscar.. I thought it must be very difficult..

Nel. so why did you do it? why didn't you do it in private.. you ere not humble enough.

Oscar.. my counsel has been in contact with Mrs Steenkamps legal reps they were not ready to meet with me.

Nel... so then you do it with the whole world watching?? how can that be appropriate??

Oscar.. I just.. I just.. I ..

Oscar.. I never got the op to meet them!!. ( wailing now. crying) . I apologise for taking their daughters life..

O: My counsel has been in contact with the Steenkamps and they weren't ready to meet me....I didn't think it would be appropriate to do it in public...

N: Then you do it in front of everyone!

This is going to go badly - already Oscar is breaking down.

I just don't think that this is an effective strategy for Nel. It just generates sympathy for Oscar when he makes him cry

N: You see, if you said 'I apologise for killing Reeva', but I don't see that.

Nel is really bugging me now - he's asking taunting and mocking questions that really have nothing at all to do with guilt or innocence

Where are you seeing this? I have wildabouttrial and it just shows OP's picture. Thank you.

Nel is really bugging me now - he's asking taunting and mocking questions that really have nothing at all to do with guilt or innocence

Agreed,

He needs to start getting to the point as this isn't achieving anything regarding the charges.

Really why is Nel spending so much time on this?
I can see him bringing up but not this much time.
Let's get on to the evidence.

Nel now reading OP's apology. It mentions how he was 'simply trying to protect Reeva' and 'she felt loved'. OP breaks in:

O: I'm terribly sorry that I took the life of their daughter.

Just like OP's so-called 'private memorial' was leaked to the media (i.e. staged to garner public sympathy), his so-called 'apology' (which wasn't an apology at all) to Reeva's parents was offered when he was on the world stage in the witness box, rather than in private, in an effort to garner sympathy for himself as to how much he has suffered.

I'm surprised by this type of cross examination .. not used to it in U.S. trials .. it's almost like he's tormenting op .. or maybe it's because it's a judge trial ? .. never seen a judge trial so maybe that happens in those as well, even in the U.S. ?

I'm surprised by this type of cross examination .. not used to it in U.S. trials .. it's almost like he's tormenting op .. or maybe it's because it's a judge trial ? .. never seen a judge trial so maybe that happens in those as well, even in the U.S. ?

They obviously do things very differently in SA. A lawyer would never get away with harassing and tormenting a witness like that in the US

N: It's the msg of Jan 27. (asking OP to look at it). ...one more question about the apology. Did you write it on a piece of paper?

O: No Milady

N: You didn't write it down and bring it into the witness box, you didn't want to read it out?

O: No Milady.

Nel.... I would like to apologise etc.. ( reading from the transcript of the apology.. )..

you are sorry that you have to think of them?> you are sorry NOW that you took the life of their daughter??

Oscar ( wailing wailing. ) I .. I.. did .. I did.. .

Nel......the message of 27th Jan... one more question re apology.. did you write it down??

Oscar... no.

Back to the long message, 27th jan. reevas.. I don't know why I am writing to you.

Oscar.. she is talking about our relationship..

Nel. OR its all about you.. reeva wanted to stay, you picked on me incessantly.. ??

Oscar.. I don't remember..

Nel. you see we don't have her voice here.. we only have you.

Oscar.. I don't understand the context.. I didn't pick on her. I was good to her.. I. was good to her. .

Oscar. there will people who will come here and say I never picked on her.... I never picked on her.

Nel. so she lied??

Oscar.. I I . no. ..

I think he may be trying to making the point that when he stated that Reeva felt loved he was being false because he had never told her so ?

Nel now talking about R's msg 'you incessantly pick on me'. O says he doesn't recall what that was about.

O: I never picked on her

N: So she lied?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members