Trial Thread 4/20/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
good morning everyone

I would find it hard to believe that the jury has not heard of Tori before the trial, there were flyers in every Tim Hortons when she was missing ( I can only confirm the Timmy locations ) but im sure they were at other popular locations, it was in my opinion the chat of the town durning this time in london.

But i do believe they had limited knowledge of the pair like we do, we tend ( people on this site and those like this site) to have a much more information to base our opinions then the average person in the community.

I think we will hear today about who he was calling and all those text messages to a certain person.
JMO

I had to work yesterday afternoon so i was only able to read and understand half of yesterdays information. I have some confusion on how can MR phone battery can be out of his phone but yet there was data coming from it during those hours? Or am i missing something?

Also why would MR lawyer try to prove that MR phone could have been at a different location when he basically said that MR was there and helped TLM clean up?

How is the defends going to prove that MR walked away as supposed to raping and killing Tori? No matter which way you look at it TLM story will match as to where they were etc but it will be up to the jury to decide if they believe the ending of her side of the story or MR's JMO

Hoping the Jury was taking lots of notes, so that nothing is lost once the defense starts spewing their stuff.

9:40
Mike Knoll: @guest - looks good to me. complete archives here: http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/raffertytrial/2012/03/23/19539806.html
9:40
Comment From Guest
i can't see the archives from yesterday, they stop at 10am
9:38
Mike Knoll: @Len - the amount of media and public interest in this trial created the need for special rules.
9:38
Comment From Len
What is the reasoning for no internet coverage allowed in main court room but internet coverage okay from the overflow courtroom?
9:36
Mike Knoll: @Steve - not as of yet. The details of his cellphone activity we've seen at this point are in the evidence I posted at 9:01
9:36
Comment From Steve
Do we know who Rafferty was calling the day Tori disappeared?

Good-morning.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 422453_10150596834323321_260737528320_9104474_1621498545_n.jpg
    422453_10150596834323321_260737528320_9104474_1621498545_n.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 95
Colin Butler ‏ @CBCColinButler
Michael #Rafferty's mobile phone conversations on the day of Tori's murder will be the focus of testimony this morning at his trial. #sl
Retweeted by Steven D'Souza

9:45
Mike Knoll: @Patrick - I am unaware of a list of defense witnesses.
9:45
Comment From Patrick
Does defense provide a witness list and if so is that list made available to media?

How far till the defense is up? Can't seem to find the list.

I didn't see the link you posted yesterday but this site from the Canadian Judicial Council does NOT say jurors can't take notes.

I agree with you regarding televised trials.

Here is my link:

4.5 Note-Taking by Jurors[5]
(Last revised February 2004)

[1] We depend on the memory and judgment of all jurors to decide this case. If you want to take notes during the trial to help you remember what a witness said, you may do so. You may find it difficult, however, to take detailed, accurate notes and, at the same time, pay close attention to what witnesses are saying and how they are saying it.

[2] If you take notes, do not be distracted from your duty to observe the witnesses. You may always ask to hear a tape of a witness’s testimony or have some evidence read back to you, but you only have one chance to observe the appearance and behaviour of the witnesses when they testify.

[3] To protect the secrecy of your work, you must not take your notes with you at the end of our sittings each day. We will make arrangements to keep them in a secure place and return them to you when we resume sitting the following day.

[4] If you decide not to take notes, you must still listen carefully to the evidence.

http://www.cjc-ccm.gc.ca/english/lawyers_en.asp?selMenu=lawyers_pmf_trialprocedure_en.asp

bbm

I stand corrected........My mistake.......I meant to say jurors can't take notes "with them", outside the courthouse........

The reason why is explained in your quote.........thanks......JMO

9:48
Mike Knoll: @guest - yes, there have been more members of the public observing this trial than any in my experience. If you feel intimidated, the overflow courtroom on the 6th floor provides a "user-friendly" situation.
9:47
Comment From Guest
Given the high profile of the case and the fact the Stafford family is at the courthouse, it feels almost intimidating to go and observe the case. Have there been a lot of general public members come to observe the trial?

bbm

Other voice and data calls move in chronological order south to Guelph, where a call is made at 8:45 p.m. and one is received at 8:49 p.m. Further data activity suggests Rafferty's phone arrived back in Woodstock at about 11:30 p.m.

Not sure how they can word this as his phone arrived back in Woodstock at about 11:30pm. There was a lull in all phone activity between the last call received in Cambridge and the data call in Woodstock. So you can't tell where he was in between and what time he got back to Woodstock.

MOO

How far till the defense is up? Can't seem to find the list.

We're nearing the end of the Blackberry chapter and one more chapter after that.

The Chapters are listed on Page 1 of this thread. 1st. post. HTH

9:51
Mike Knoll: @guest - yes.
9:51
Comment From guest
Has Rodney and Tara been there at all this week?
9:50
Mike Knoll: @guest - I assume there will be more cellphone evidence.
9:50
Comment From guest
What should we be hearing about today?

Rafferty must have been really addicted to his Blackberry, even though he knew to take his battery out so LE wouldn't be able to track his location it seems like it got the best of him and he had to turn it back on to check for messages and then by the looks of things turn it back off again. Was he frantic to see if AL had called him?

I didn't see the link you posted yesterday but this site from the Canadian Judicial Council does NOT say jurors can't take notes.

I agree with you regarding televised trials.

Here is my link:

4.5 Note-Taking by Jurors[5]
(Last revised February 2004)

[1] We depend on the memory and judgment of all jurors to decide this case. If you want to take notes during the trial to help you remember what a witness said, you may do so. You may find it difficult, however, to take detailed, accurate notes and, at the same time, pay close attention to what witnesses are saying and how they are saying it.

[2] If you take notes, do not be distracted from your duty to observe the witnesses. You may always ask to hear a tape of a witness’s testimony or have some evidence read back to you, but you only have one chance to observe the appearance and behaviour of the witnesses when they testify.

[3] To protect the secrecy of your work, you must not take your notes with you at the end of our sittings each day. We will make arrangements to keep them in a secure place and return them to you when we resume sitting the following day.

[4] If you decide not to take notes, you must still listen carefully to the evidence.

http://www.cjc-ccm.gc.ca/english/lawyers_en.asp?selMenu=lawyers_pmf_trialprocedure_en.asp

bbm

Hoping these are multi-tasking people with good attention spans and great memories.

While I understand how taking notes could be distracting, I still think important points need to be jotted down. I'm afraid some of it will get lost if the defense is dragged out for a long period.

RaffertyLFP: Court set to resume in Michael Rafferty murder trial. [via Twitter]

9:58
Mike Knoll: @guest - talking during proceedings is taboo - but any evidence the jury sees can be openly discussed.
9:57
Comment From Guest
Are spectators allowed to talk of the evidence presented?

RaffertyLFP: Court set to resume in Michael Rafferty murder trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back