GUILTY TX - Alanna Gallagher, 6, Saginaw, 1 July 2013 - #14

I'm not much of trial watcher. I don't prefer to hear the details of these cases. I like this plea. It means the details of this baby's passing will not be on a' court record' for ever , in print, that anyone can read 100 yrs from now. Her family is spared and they must be relieved. 50 yrs for a 17 yr old is essentially life. And I agree with most here, he won't make 50 yrs.
Hugs and prayers to Alanna's family. You are so brave :)

The impact statement is so powerful and beautifully written, I wish they could paint the words on his cell walls so he can look at them every minute for the rest of his miserable life.

Prayers for her family, and all the people that love and miss her.

I'm not much of trial watcher. I don't prefer to hear the details of these cases. I like this plea. It means the details of this baby's passing will not be on a' court record' for ever , in print, that anyone can read 100 yrs from now. Her family is spared and they must be relieved. 50 yrs for a 17 yr old is essentially life. And I agree with most here, he won't make 50 yrs.
Hugs and prayers to Alanna's family. You are so brave :)

I agree. So happy this family is spared. It is not important to publicize the details of this monter's actions.

I'm so glad LG got a chance to speak and that TH has been punished the way he has. May the family now truly begin to heal...

I do wonder about his reaction. His expression in his arrest photo makes me livid. Just impassive. Doesn't seem to care a bit. I want to slap that smug unconcern off his face. May he rot. I'm glad I can't remember his name. I remember Alanna's, however.

I doubt if he cares at all what is said about him and remorse. I imagine the only remorse is that he got caught. No one could do everything he did and have any conscience at all.

Hello, folks.

This is Miles McDaniel. I am one of Alanna's parents.

I know that a lot of people here likely still have questions as to what went on, that the news outlets either didn't cover, or covered poorly, and so I wanted to come here and answer what questions I could.

I have been reading these threads since the day after Alanna was murdered. I found the site when I was doing a Google search for her name, because we were frustrated with how little the police were actually telling us. And I saw both the parts where people were not-quite-accusing the family of some level of guilt and participation in this horrible crime, as well as the people who stepped in, and enforced the rules regarding treatment of the victims' families. I thank the latter group, and hope that the former group will remember this, and keep an open mind in the future.

I can guess as to at least a couple of the questions that people will have, and will go ahead and answer them here.

1) Why did he plead to a lesser charge / why didn't the prosecutors press for the Capital Murder charge?

a) The Supreme Court declared that it was no longer permissible to sentence anybody under 18 to either the death penalty, or life without possibility of parole. The Texas laws at that time only allowed for one of two penalties for Capital Murder: Death, or Life Without Parole. These laws did not *allow* any other option. Shortly after the decision came down from the Supreme Court, the Texas Legislature worked to update these laws, to allow for other sentences in the cases where the previous ones were not permitted. We were told that the gap between these two dates was approximately three weeks, and Alanna's murder happened within that gap. This means that, at the time this crime was committed, there was no specified sentencing for 17-year-olds who committed Capital Murder in Texas. Had the prosecution insisted on a Capital Murder charge, then the sentencing would have been the judge's discretion, rather than guided by the requirements of the law, and could have resulted in a significantly shorter sentence. Given that he was willing to accept fairly lengthy terms on the charges, the prosecutors did not feel the chance of a longer sentence balanced the cost of a trial, nor the chances of a shorter sentence.

2) What are the details of the sentence he received?

a) Twenty years for arson, and life for murder, to be run concurrently. Forty years for attempted murder, to be run consecutively. Texas law states that an individual who is eligible for parole will receive parole hearings starting after either one-half of the sentence, or thirty years, whichever is shorter. This means that the arson charge will be eligible for parole after ten years, and completed after twenty, both of which are before the first eligibility for parole for the murder charge, which will be at thirty years. Should he be paroled for the murder charge, then the sentence for the attempted murder charge will commence, and he will not be eligible for parole for that charge until at least twenty more years pass. As a result, even if he is paroled at the first opportunity for both of the greater charges, he will serve a minimum of fifty years.

If there are any other questions, I will try to answer them, if I can. We appreciate the sympathies we have received from this community, and the efforts you made in keeping abreast of any new information, as well as the consideration you offered us.

- Miles

Dear Miles,

On behalf of Websleuths we are very sorry for your lose.

Thank you for taking the time out to post and to answer questions.

If there is anything we can help you with please do not hesitate to ask. tgrif@xmission.com

Sincerely,
Tricia Griffith
Co-owner Websleuths.com

Thank you so much for posting Miles. I would like to send my deepest and heartfelt condolences to you and your family for the loss of Alanna. What happened to your little girl affected me profoundly, I will never forget her and every time I wear something purple, or see purple flowers I think of her. I may be all the way over the atlantic in England but my best friend lives just a few miles from Saginaw, I am planning on visiting her sometime in the next couple of years and I have already asked her if she will drive me to lay flowers at Alanna's memorial garden, I hope this is ok to do. Or is there something else I could bring instead that Alanna would like?

I hope as a family you have been able to start the healing process :rose: Best wishes to yourself and your family, skib.

Skibaboo,

Thank you for your kind words. I have shared them with Karl and Laura.

Flowers would be lovely. Another thing I can think of that would be appropriate would be to honor her love of reading by sharing books with others. Maybe donate books locally, or leave some for the kids to find at the memorial at her school, if you like.

- Miles

Skibaboo,

Thank you for your kind words. I have shared them with Karl and Laura.

Flowers would be lovely. Another thing I can think of that would be appropriate would be to honor her love of reading by sharing books with others. Maybe donate books locally, or leave some for the kids to find at the memorial at her school, if you like.

- Miles

That is a wonderful idea! I love to read too, I will definitely do this, I have felt very helpless... I would be honoured. For Alanna :) <3

Thanks for joining us Miles. If you've been reading along , then you know that little doll touched many of us .
I am relieved you don't have to suffer through a long trial.
Blessings to your family :)

Thank you Miles so very much for helping us understand ....
I pray for you and your family, your sweet little girl has touched my heart, I'm deeply sorry for what that Monster has done.
I know I'm nobody and my words don't change anything, but again I'm praying for your family...

Thank you Miles so very much for helping us understand ....
I pray for you and your family, your sweet little girl has touched my heart, I'm deeply sorry for what that Monster has done.
I know I'm nobody and my words don't change anything, but again I'm praying for your family...

You are wrong, Green. Yes, our words don't change anything. But all of us , collectively , do make a difference. There are some cases on here where we've had very close contact with family members, throughout . It does make a difference knowing someone far away cares for you and your family. I would not presume to put any words into Alanna's parents' mouths. But I know if I were suffering, it would be nice to know there was a network of people across the globe who were crying with me and praying for me.

Miles:
Thank you so very much for posting. I know reading here during a case can be extremely painful at times for family members, and I hope you forgive us for our overwhelming need to dissect cases to bits. I hope you and the rest of your family finds peace. I hope all my fellow WS'ers will forgive me for speaking for them, but we would all welcome you here, always, with open hearts.

Miles,

Thank you so much for posting here and clearing up things that some of us (like me) didn't understand completely. I can only hope that your beautiful family is healing and I hope that doesn't sound trite, but my heart goes out to you and yours.

The bravery that Laura showed in her impact statement resounded very loudly and beautifully, I'm in tears just remembering reading it. It was clear from the very beginning how much your little girl was loved by her family. I know that I'm not going to say this right, but here at WS we sleuth, and when I used my limited sleuthing skills when sweet Alanna was found what I saw was a beautiful loving and fun family. Others here saw that too. Your beautiful, bubbly, happy child was cherished by you and your family, that was plainly evident.

I wish all beautiful blessings and light to you and your family for all of your days. The world will always miss Alanna, she would have given so much to all of us.

:rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:

elmomom,

I can certainly understand the people here wanting to examine every little detail of the case, to try to figure out what happened, and why somebody would do such a thing. I think that trying to understand what happened helps us to put a little order back into a world that has been knocked out of alignment after something like this happens.

inthedark14,

Thank you for your kind wishes. Our family is still hurting, but knowing that that person will never be able to do this again, and that this should clear at least most of the suspicions that some people still had about us, is helping.

Thank you all for your efforts, your thoughts, your prayers. While nothing can bring Alanna back, knowing that others care about her, and about us, helps.

And, if there is any question that anybody still has, please don't feel embarrassed to ask. I know that the reporting of a lot of the particulars of this case were incomplete, or incorrect, and I feel like helping clarify some of the misconceptions would help me repay the community here.

elmomom,

I can certainly understand the people here wanting to examine every little detail of the case, to try to figure out what happened, and why somebody would do such a thing. I think that trying to understand what happened helps us to put a little order back into a world that has been knocked out of alignment after something like this happens.

inthedark14,

Thank you for your kind wishes. Our family is still hurting, but knowing that that person will never be able to do this again, and that this should clear at least most of the suspicions that some people still had about us, is helping.

Thank you all for your efforts, your thoughts, your prayers. While nothing can bring Alanna back, knowing that others care about her, and about us, helps.

And, if there is any question that anybody still has, please don't feel embarrassed to ask. I know that the reporting of a lot of the particulars of this case were incomplete, or incorrect, and I feel like helping clarify some of the misconceptions would help me repay the community here.

Hi Miles, prayers and kind thoughts sent from your Saginaw/Fort Worth neighbors to you, Laura and Karl and the rest of your family. I drove past your street the day your beautiful precious child was taken. I've gone over and over in my mind wishing that there was something I could have done to help.

We have all been touched by your sweet child and I'm embarrassed and I apologize for some of the negative things our Saginaw/Fort Worth community spewed out.

Please know that there are so many people in our community that wish you all blessings.

Please thank your mom also, her loving comments helped us appreciate your daughter's sweet personality.

Thank you for posting here.

What reporting did you feel was incomplete or incorrect?

One example that has bothered us was the claim that we didn't even look for her until after that *advertiser censored* had dumped her by the side of the road. This was completely incorrect. That was the *fourth* time we had looked.

The first, was a little later in the afternoon, as a meal was being prepared. Her older sister went to a few of Alanna's friends' houses to look for her, but didn't find her.

The second, Laura took the older sister out, in the car, and drove the neighborhood. Since this was still before Alanna's usual "be back by" time (6p), it wasn't a huge concern. We made sure that her share of the meal was set aside, for her to have when she got back.

The third involved driving further out, in case she had gone to the nearby park. By this time, she should have been back. She was wearing her watch (which was found at that *advertiser censored*'s house), and she had always been given instruction to be home by 6. By this point, we were starting to get worried.

The fourth involved Karl and Laura going door-to-door through the neighborhood, as it was approaching dark, while I waited at the house. We were very worried at this time, as, even if she had forgotten to check the time, surely she would have noticed it getting darker outside, and come home. It was at this time that they spotted the police cars, and approached them for help. This last time is the one that was typically reported as "when we looked for her".

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back