TX TX - Don, 83, & Reda Rentz, 80, Atascocita, 26 Feb 2015

2rqyh5l.png

2nh3jf5.png

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/di...on+W.+Rentz&lc=2673&pid=174356525&mid=6355408

Make sure you see all their photos on the link that *JMO* posted above.........what a love story......what a beautiful woman she was..and what devotion to family this couple demonstrated throughout the years.

Damn it damn it damn it that someone did this terrible thing to them.

It was quite a love story, wasn't it? And it makes me even angrier seeing how many lives are torn apart because of this. Could this possibly have been random? I just can't imagine who would want to kill them, they seem like such unlikely murder victims.

Reda, 80, was born January 4, 1935 in Houston, TX. She grew up in the Heights and graduated from Reagan High School. She married Don Rentz in 1957 at Baptist Temple.

She played tennis for years and was a dedicated wife and mother. She returned to the University of Houston to complete her college degree at age 60. She survived a battle with breast cancer and helped others with her story.

She was an active member of Second Baptist Church in Houston, then Kingwood and enjoyed working in the children's ministry. She was a faithful servant of the Lord and went weekly to Mission Northeast to help those less fortunate.

Her greatest joy was spending time with her grandkids, who knew her as Nana.

She is survived by her daughter Judith Crane, her husband Larry, and grandsons John and Nathan, daughter Susan Halpin and her husband Tim. She was preceded in death by her parents John and Myrtle Locke and her brother John Locke.

Contributions in memory of Reda may be made to Mission Northeast(www.missionne.org) in New Caney, TX or M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/di...=Reda-Rentz&lc=2673&pid=174356528&mid=6355409

Two elderly people were beaten with heavy objects in an attack described as extremely brutal by LE makes me think this is someone known to the couple. Nothing taken so someone came expressly for murder. I wonder if this is one of those "follow the money" attacks?

Not blaming anyone, just a theory.

JMO, MHO JMHO etc

I agree. Overkill usually means it's personal.

The photos are beautiful.....I just don't get this. I agree with everyone else, they look like the all-American family. How does this happen?

This article says the wellness check call was made by their two children who live out of town. Aww the neighbors are saying when they saw them last they were soaking in some rays sitting on their driveway. :( Just enjoying their twilight years with each other, so sad...
Just re-reading this thread.....this is so heartbreaking.....

I know, Blondie. It makes my stomach hurt thinking about what this elderly, frail couple went through. Takes some real tough guys (or girls) to beat an 80-year-old couple to death, doesn't it? Real impressive. Gutless cowards.

I do think there was more than one person involved. Hopefully LE were able to collect some DNA they are now testing.

Here is the house they owned, it's a nice middle class house. They don't strike me as rolling the dough with a huge inheritance worth killing for, if anyone is leaning in that direction. Which I'm not. Of course I could be wrong. They seem like a nice, comfortably middle class retired couple, who had settled into a lovely home to spend the rest of their days.

http://www.arivify.com/property/search/y4rn67AVC
His being a retired stockbroker, I'll bet this couple has significant assets. Their living in a modest middle class home for retirement is a smart financial move. I'm not leaning in that direction either, but standards of living aren't an indication of how much money people are worth.

My childhood friend's father had a hefty trust fund, but they lived in a modest home. The elderly women who lived across the street from me died at 96 years old and was sitting on 1.5 million. She was a retired secretary who never married. The father of one of my children's friends had a stroke, and I helped get his finances in order. Middle class home and he's worth a few million.

One of my friends couldn't find a job after graduating with a finance degree due to the crash of the steel industry in the late 70s, so he took a job working in a cafeteria. He has been worked there his entire life. He drives second hand cars and lives in an old farm house, yet his stock portfolio would blow your minds.

reminds me of the Dermonds in GA. Horrible what people will do to others. Such a happy looking family.

His being a retired stockbroker, I'll bet this couple has significant assets. Their living in a modest middle class home for retirement is a smart financial move. I'm not leaning in that direction either, but standards of living aren't an indication of how much money people are worth.

My childhood friend's father had a hefty trust fund, but they lived in a modest home. The elderly women who lived across the street from me died at 96 years old and was sitting on 1.5 million. She was a retired secretary who never married. The father of one of my children's friends had a stroke, and I helped get his finances in order. Middle class home and he's worth a few million.

One of my friends couldn't find a job after graduating with a finance degree due to the crash of the steel industry in the late 70s, so he took a job working in a cafeteria. He has been worked there his entire life. He drives second hand cars and lives in an old farm house, yet his stock portfolio would blow your minds.

That's very true, Miss Muffet, they could indeed be significantly more well-off than they appear. I didn't think about his stockbroker retirement assets. They were probably very smart about their savings.

I sure hope it's not someone that close to them though, that would break my heart even more...

The first thing I think of when I hear of an elderly couple being murdered is follow the money...

According to the local messages boards there will be a press conference with the Sheriff's office this coming Friday.

There was a couple, well heeled, older, who were brutally murdered in their assumed secure home recently. [ETA in California] Copycats? just hearing more about this type of case lately? Sad. I treat my elders like treasures, so much experience, knowledge. Who doesn't? Why?

I tried to find something new on this case but I don't see anything we don't already know. Even the LE FB doesn't have anything. I'm curious about the coverage on missing persons. Sometime there is an abundance of news and then there are the ones like the Rentz's. I just can't believe that LE has nothing, no evidence or POI. I've wondered why their neighbors didn't notice anything but in one of the comments someone mentioned that the back of the Rentz's property was near a well traveled road and that maybe the murderers jumped the privacy fence in their back yard and came in that way. I just really want this one to be solved.

JMO

I tried to find something new on this case but I don't see anything we don't already know. Even the LE FB doesn't have anything. I'm curious about the coverage on missing persons. Sometime there is an abundance of news and then there are the ones like the Rentz's. I just can't believe that LE has nothing, no evidence or POI. I've wondered why their neighbors didn't notice anything but in one of the comments someone mentioned that the back of the Rentz's property was near a well traveled road and that maybe the murderers jumped the privacy fence in their back yard and came in that way. I just really want this one to be solved.

JMO

I drove past their home the other day since I live in a nearby neighborhood. It looked like such a peaceful street, people out working in their yards, children playing, etc. It was hard to believe that such evil had been so near. The street is a quiet cul-de-sac and as I drove down it people looked up to see my car. I would think any strange car parking in a drive way or in front of a house might have been noted.

Their home backs up to a wooded, natural space that blocks the back of the home from the road behind them. Not a big area, just enough to be a buffer between the home and the road, as the neighborhood has green belts and wooded areas throughout. There is a fence at that runs the length of all the homes that back up to that space. Across the street from that main road (I use that term loosely because it is a main entrance into the neighborhood but not a busy street, but it wide and not residential, mostly tree lined with green belts running the length on one side) is the neighborhood pool with a small parking area. It could be feasible that someone could have parked there and crossed the street to jump the fence and enter through the back door. It was reported that the back door was "open" (that could mean unlocked, ajar or slightly open).

Since they were not found right away, whoever did it had plenty of time to be long gone. I am making an assumption that the children were not in the habit of checking in with them daily since so much time went by before the well check was requested. (just assuming here because if my kids can't reach me in a day or two, they are contacting each other to see where we are). Both of their girls live out of town, one near the Hill Country in Texas (about 4 hours away) and the other out of state. The only grandchildren appear to be the children of the daughter that lives out of state.

I am also guessing that if they were having a workman in the house that day or any other reason to have a stranger on the property, it would probably have gone unmentioned to their children if they weren't in frequent contact. I think of this because I talk to my adult sons almost every day or we at least email each other and I usually mention any little repairs or work I'm having done around the house. However, lawn crews are very common around here, I would say on my street every day there is a yard crew truck on the street and with the exception of two or three homes, everyone uses a service. I'm just grasping at straws here.

I am just struggling with the lack of news reports and updates on this killing. Even though we are close to a major city, it is considered a safe area and crimes like this make make big news. The fact that the press conference is scheduled for Friday makes me think it is just to announce that there is no real news to report. I hope they at least give out a few details, such as time of day the crime was committed and in what part of the home.

if you look at the streetview of the street behind their home you will get an idea of the protected tree lined street. Their street would be behind the tree area on the right.
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.018...!1e1!3m2!1szhcyjbyga0_bwthFprClhA!2e0!6m1!1e1

I drove past their home the other day since I live in a nearby neighborhood. It looked like such a peaceful street, people out working in their yards, children playing, etc. It was hard to believe that such evil had been so near. The street is a quiet cul-de-sac and as I drove down it people looked up to see my car. I would think any strange car parking in a drive way or in front of a house might have been noted.

Their home backs up to a wooded, natural space that blocks the back of the home from the road behind them. Not a big area, just enough to be a buffer between the home and the road, as the neighborhood has green belts and wooded areas throughout. There is a fence at that runs the length of all the homes that back up to that space. Across the street from that main road (I use that term loosely because it is a main entrance into the neighborhood but not a busy street, but it wide and not residential, mostly tree lined with green belts running the length on one side) is the neighborhood pool with a small parking area. It could be feasible that someone could have parked there and crossed the street to jump the fence and enter through the back door. It was reported that the back door was "open" (that could mean unlocked, ajar or slightly open).

Since they were not found right away, whoever did it had plenty of time to be long gone. I am making an assumption that the children were not in the habit of checking in with them daily since so much time went by before the well check was requested. (just assuming here because if my kids can't reach me in a day or two, they are contacting each other to see where we are). Both of their girls live out of town, one near the Hill Country in Texas (about 4 hours away) and the other out of state. The only grandchildren appear to be the children of the daughter that lives out of state.

I am also guessing that if they were having a workman in the house that day or any other reason to have a stranger on the property, it would probably have gone unmentioned to their children if they weren't in frequent contact. I think of this because I talk to my adult sons almost every day or we at least email each other and I usually mention any little repairs or work I'm having done around the house. However, lawn crews are very common around here, I would say on my street every day there is a yard crew truck on the street and with the exception of two or three homes, everyone uses a service. I'm just grasping at straws here.

I am just struggling with the lack of news reports and updates on this killing. Even though we are close to a major city, it is considered a safe area and crimes like this make make big news. The fact that the press conference is scheduled for Friday makes me think it is just to announce that there is no real news to report. I hope they at least give out a few details, such as time of day the crime was committed and in what part of the home.

if you look at the streetview of the street behind their home you will get an idea of the protected tree lined street. Their street would be behind the tree area on the right.
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.018...!1e1!3m2!1szhcyjbyga0_bwthFprClhA!2e0!6m1!1e1

:goodpost:

Posted on a local forum from someone who was posting in regard to this case and a regular monthly community meeting held last evening-
"Crime Stoppers offering up to $5,000 reward
robbery appears to be the motive "

I agree. Overkill usually means it's personal.

Or angry youths. There have been several cases in which youths have beaten elderly robbery victims to death in their homes, if the elderly can't fight back the killers can take their time and be extremely sadistic.

Likewise elderly rape victims are more likely to be severely beaten during an attack.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back