TX TX - Don, 83, & Reda Rentz, 80, Atascocita, 26 Feb 2015

Or angry youths. There have been several cases in which youths have beaten elderly robbery victims to death in their homes, if the elderly can't fight back the killers can take their time and be extremely sadistic.

Likewise elderly rape victims are more likely to be severely beaten during an attack.

Could anything be more chilling than these scenarios in your elder years? Besides an alarm system, what can the elderly (will be ME in just a few years) do to reduce the liklihood of something like this happening? I am not a gun advocate, but I find myself drifting to that side as I contemplate horrible crimes like these.

There was an another family in Houston, Asian family with kids, anyone remember that?

Just horrific, crimes like this... the Dermonds, the Runions, the list goes on. I hope they find whoever is responsible for this asap!!!!
So heartbreaking.

Could anything be more chilling than these scenarios in your elder years? Besides an alarm system, what can the elderly (will be ME in just a few years) do to reduce the liklihood of something like this happening? I am not a gun advocate, but I find myself drifting to that side as I contemplate horrible crimes like these.

I am not a fan of alarms, the response time during an attack would typically be way way to slow.

I personally believe in guns and companion dogs. Most house dogs are far more aware of strangers than their human companions and they will raise an alarm to alert their owner, the neredowells know that and typically will avoid houses with dogs for that reason. There are lots of older mellow dogs in rescue that would be good calm companions for an older person, folks just need to make sure they provide for the dog if something happens to them.

Posted on the Atascocita community forum, "little bird told me they believe it was someone they knew and all forensics has been sent to the lab." Am I allowed to post that?

Please let me know if it against the rules, I don't post that often to know all of the ins and outs on here. I know it's hearsay but I do hope it is true.

We are seniors and my husband bought a hand gun this weekend. We have never been gun owners, don't hunt, and have never wanted guns. But with this horrific murder so close to our home, my husband could not stand the thought of feeling helpless to defend us. I am still not comfortable with weapons, but he is taking private self defense lessons to really be comfortable with using it and we just ordered a highly rated gun safe to store it bedside.

I am not convinced that being armed would have helped in this scenario if they were taken by surprise by someone that they possibly knew or if they were in bed. The reaction time was probably next to zero for these poor people.

I am not convinced that being armed would have helped in this scenario if they were taken by surprise by someone that they possibly knew or if they were in bed. The reaction time was probably next to zero for these poor people.

If it WAS someone they knew you can be sure of one thing, someone that knew them well would know if they were gun owners, and no one breaks into the home of gun owners with the intention of beating them to death with weights.

For first time gun owners....a bit of advice; don't focus on the gun, focus on the purpose. The purpose of firing a gun in self defense comes down to causing a massive amount of blood loss as fast as possible, it is not about hearing the weapon go "bang" or pointing it at the perp. If you are in your home and you can account for your loved ones think outside of the box. Shoot through walls/doors.

Also it is never a good idea investigate a potential home invasion, if you think an intruder is in your home stay silent and wait until they approach the room you are in, when they approach or start to open the door start shooting.

If it WAS someone they knew you can be sure of one thing, someone that knew them well would know if they were gun owners, and no one breaks into the home of gun owners with the intention of beating them to death with weights.

For first time gun owners....a bit of advice; don't focus on the gun, focus on the purpose. The purpose of firing a gun in self defense comes down to causing a massive amount of blood loss as fast as possible, it is not about hearing the weapon go "bang" or pointing it at the perp. If you are in your home and you can account for your loved ones think outside of the box. Shoot through walls/doors.

Before his death my husband was a police officer for 20 plus years. One thing he told me about using my gun for protection; don't hesitate! If you hesitate before you pull the trigger you will be the victim. I found out that if I practiced often with my gun I got over the initial sound that always startled me. I took gun safety classes and bought a 9 mm of my own, one that felt comfortable in my hands. It makes me feel safer now that I'm alone but I hope I never have to use it.

I know people want to remain in their homes until they die, but one of the benefits of a retirement care community or assisted living situation is someone is likely to notice and check on you if you haven't been seen, and someone looking to rob you isn't likely to be doing it in a communal living situation.

I know people want to remain in their homes until they die, but one of the benefits of a retirement care community or assisted living situation is someone is likely to notice and check on you if you haven't been seen, and someone looking to rob you isn't likely to be doing it in a communal living situation.
I would agree with you in the first part of your statement about being checked on, however I have experience in working in those types of facilities and there is a great deal of theft that happens, by the employees, visitors, and privately hired help.

And if people can afford it there are a lot of very nice retirement communities opening up that provide a huge range of living situations. That is industry is booming and there is a push to attract wealthy retirees by providing really nice living options.

I would agree with you in the first part of your statement about being checked on, however I have experience in working in those types of facilities and there is a great deal of theft that happens, by the employees, visitors, and privately hired help.

I do know that but I personally had my mother with Alzheimer's in a facility that was wonderful for her, they took care of her better than I was doing. I was there multiple times a week at all hours (and welcome to come in even at 10 pm to read to her if she was having a bad day). And this was a facility that accepted Medicaid, we had already run through all of her retirement money and my retirement money trying to keep her with me at home.

There are great places out there, maybe they don't look like some of the newer places, but the key is the people who are caring for your loved ones.

And if you live in the metro Detroit area and are looking at the difficult task of placing your loved one, you can PM me and I'll tell you where it is.

This awful murder took place close to where I live. I found this forum while searching to find more information on the murder and the victims and I have just been approved to post. I have been anxiously awaiting the press conference and was disappointed to see that there appears to be no new information.

As stated here, surely there must be DNA evidence or some clues given that the killer(s) were likely at the residence for some time, it does not appear there was a great deal of thought or preparation given if their true intent was robbery. It does not appear very organized and the perp likely could have been on drugs or mentally and therefore more likely to have been aloppy about leaving prints behind.

I agree that a few open drawers seems more of an afterthought to make motive appear to be robbery.

Knowing if the couple was found together or apart or in their bed would be helpful information as well but it almost appears in my opinion that they are purposefully not releasing very much information about the details.

The local residents on the atascocita boards broke the news of the murders hours before any local media was even aware. Residents on the kingwood boards are posting daily even though there is no new evidence so the story stays on the first page and is not forgotten.

I shared the reward flier on my facebook only to find out that I grew up with the children of reda rentz' cousin. They are family and they were unaware of the reward being offered as of wednesday.

My children were playing outside on this street likely on the evening LE estimate the murders occurred, along with 6 of their friends who live on this steet and always play outside.

I do know that but I personally had my mother with Alzheimer's in a facility that was wonderful for her, they took care of her better than I was doing. I was there multiple times a week at all hours (and welcome to come in even at 10 pm to read to her if she was having a bad day). And this was a facility that accepted Medicaid, we had already run through all of her retirement money and my retirement money trying to keep her with me at home.

There are great places out there, maybe they don't look like some of the newer places, but the key is the people who are caring for your loved ones.

And if you live in the metro Detroit area and are looking at the difficult task of placing your loved one, you can PM me and I'll tell you where it is.

michmi,
I'm sorry for what you have been through with caring for your mom, but I have no doubt it was done with love. There are many wonderful facilities for people with or without alzheimer's that I wouldn't hesitate to place a family member if I wasn't able to care for them any longer for whatever the reason - and I know the ones in the Tampa Bay area what's good and what's not and who takes what for payment. You are very fortunate to find one that is wonderful that takes medicaid as most of the good ones here are cash or long-term care insurance only.

Welcome, jen608! :wagon:

I'm local too. So devastating to have such a brutal murder of this sweet couple so close to home. I too was hoping to get more info from the presser. I just keep hoping that LE has more to go on than they are letting on.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back