GUILTY TX - Joshua Broussard, 17, dead, 4 injured in Spring HS stabbing, 4 Sept 2013

KPRC Local 2 Houston ‏@KPRCLocal2 1m
@KPRCRobert has confirmed student killed at #SpringHS is Joshua Broussard. LIVE team coverage http://bit.ly/1eemVyM pic.twitter.com/t8HYvliDb7

Unsupervised kids give other kids wedgies. They don't stab people.

Presser right now.

Three "persons of interest".

Asking for witnesses to call Crimestoppers with info.

Police believe that the three they have in custody are the only suspects.

Police confirming all three suspects were students!

Suspects are students.

re: gang related
investigators are working through the info. A confrontation occurred. Injuries were a result of a cutting instrument.

Does this very large school have cameras?

PC - 3 POI's but they don't have the weapons in custody. So, what happened to the knife(ves)? Someone had to have passed it off - or something. That's strange. Sheriff saying the 3 POI's are the only ones they are interested in - but they don't have the weapon(s). Wouldn't anyone that took the weapon away also be a POI?

JMHO

This whole area is going to be on high alert and every parent on edge for the next few days. Gang related huh? Wow. Schools with 3200 population - just too big.

Both mine left high school for very similar reasons here. Both are now upstanding citizens with good jobs - and they got their GED's either before they would have graduated or at the same time. Both only took the test once and passed with very high scores.

Online schools are great - but I do believe there has to be some type of "socialization" that comes from being part of a larger crowd (crowed being the only word I can come up with). Parents that work can't afford to stay home with children while they go to school online - so that's where the dilemma comes from.

I'll just keep saying - things have to change. Our children (and our future) are suffering.

JMHO

They don't know what weapons were used. They are still investigating that.
:waitasec:

The superintendent sure doesn't want to talk about gangs. He was asked about the rumors of gangs here for years. All he could basically say was that they have a gang task force. That was it.

What a security nightmare. They'll have to search each and every kid as they leave the school and then do a search of the school.

The live shots from the helicopter - that parking lot was only about half full earlier - now it is overflowing. That's a lot of people congregating - that alone is a security risk.

I guess the k-9 being brought in was to help search each student as they are released - along with lockers (if they do have lockers). Here all the high schools got rid of them.

JMHO

retaliation for a fight that started yesterday is the rumors. Also, I work with a girl who's parents went to school admin last year for the same group of people messing with her little brothers.....nothing was done.

Now they won't be released until noon.

:dunno: I would have to think long and hard before sending my kid back to that school tomorrow.

This whole area is going to be on high alert and every parent on edge for the next few days. Gang related huh? Wow. Schools with 3200 population - just too big.

We have 3400 in our one county high school. So do many counties around here. I think a lot depends on how the buildings are set up .

Our halls are joined only at each end from a horizontal walkway- and can be locked down individually.

The 9th graders are in a different building completely - joined to 10-12 by an enormous weight room.

We have an Ombudsman program off site: which caters to both the kids who work, and the ones with disciplinary problems.

We are located by a nuclear sub base- and federal security agents designed the security for this school.

We have 2 full time LE officers who work at the school.

Two or three high schools in a rural county are simply cost prohibitive- so they do what they can in terms of protecting the kids.

Teen dead, more hurt in Texas high school stabbing

MICHAEL GRACZYK, AP,
53 minutes ago

SPRING, Texas (AP) -- A 17-year-old student has been stabbed to death and three others are injured after a fight at a Houston-area high school.

Harris County Sheriff Adrian Garcia says a confrontation around 7 a.m. Wednesday at Spring High School escalated and resulted in multiple stabbings. He says all the people involved in the fight were students in the Spring school district.

Three others described as "persons of interest" are being questioned by investigators. Garcia says authorities are not searching for any other suspects.

Garcia says two students have been hospitalized with minor injuries and the third is listed in good condition after being airlifted to a Houston hospital

Authorities did not say what prompted the confrontation.

Spring is about 20 miles north of Houston.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles...en-dead-more-hurt-texas-high-school-stabbing/

There is already a thread about this here:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221080"]Spring (Houston area) Texas, School stabbing 1 dead 4 others injured - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

We have 3400 in our one county high school. So do many counties around here. I think a lot depends on how the buildings are set up .

Our halls are joined only at each end from a horizontal walkway- and can be locked down individually.

The 9th graders are in a different building completely - joined to 10-12 by an enormous weight room.

We have an Ombudsman program off site: which caters to both the kids who work, and the ones with disciplinary problems.

We are located by a nuclear sub base- and federal security agents designed the security for this school.

We have 2 full time LE officers who work at the school.

Two or three high schools in a rural county are simply cost prohibitive- so they do what they can in terms of protecting the kids.
That sounds like a great set-up - security wise BUT its just not security that has to be taken into consideration when setting up such huge schools.

Let me explain:

With a population of 3400 - 5000 :

what chance does any one given child have of, let's say -
making the cheerleading squad (unless you have exceptional talents)
making the football, basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball teams
getting any academic recognition (unless you carry a 4.0 - or higher now)
all student council elections would be completely popularity contests, instead of.....
making the yearbook staff
making the newspaper staff
feeling like you "belong" - when there are 3399 other kids around?

High school populations this big, in MY OPINION, tend to harbor, create, condone, ignore (pick your word)
cliques which in turn lead to ostracizing, judging, and even bullying others.

Its just not good practice. Every student needs to feel like he/she belongs, is valued, has a purpose, has a face and a name.

Schools this big can't possibly accommodate this.

One thing I have to ask - does this school have a place big enough to host a "parent gathering" of all the school's population? IOW can they have a program, assembly, PTA meeting, and invite the entire parent population, instead of doing it by grade group?

Our kids - ALL our kids need to be nurtured and paid attention to - not just cattle herded into buildings where they feel they don't have a voice, a face or even a name.

JMHO

my kid's school has over 3000 students to and set up the same way. Separate 9th grade wing, etc.....

I'll be interested to learn if the syspects/s were under juvie probation. In my town, they lock em up a month then right back into public school. They are too sorry to even have a special school. My gs skipped school on a day there was to be a threatened shooting between races and he ended up getting into big trouble because a whole group were afraid and skipped. The school never told the news or public either.

Honestly what happened does not surprise me at all.It was a long time coming and sadly I don't think that's the end of it.There was always racial tension in the school.It's so stupid.
And I completely agree with OWL.The school is just too big to nurture the individual.They are seriously just being herded.It's like in prison,they form groups that they feel they belong to and it just creates tension and chaos.

That sounds like a great set-up - security wise BUT its just not security that has to be taken into consideration when setting up such huge schools.
With a population of 3400 - 5000 :
what chance does any one given child have of, let's say -
making the cheerleading squad (unless you have exceptional talents)
making the football, basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball teams
getting any academic recognition (unless you carry a 4.0 - or higher now)
all student council elections would be completely popularity contests, instead of.....making the yearbook staff making the newspaper staff feeling like you "belong" - when there are 3399 other kids around?
High school populations this big, in MY OPINION, tend to harbor, create, condone, ignore (pick your word)
cliques which in turn lead to ostracizing, judging, and even bullying others.
One thing I have to ask - does this school have a place big enough to host a "parent gathering" of all the school's population? IOW can they have a program, assembly, PTA meeting, and invite the entire parent population, instead of doing it by grade group?
Our kids - ALL our kids need to be nurtured and paid attention to - not just cattle herded into buildings where they feel they don't have a voice, a face or even a name.
JMHO

RSBM:
I did not say it was ideal- I stated it was cost prohibitive for our rural county to build and operate more schools with our tax base. We are a Title 1 school. (Schools with a large low-income student population meet the definition and requirements for students to be eligible to receive Title 1 funds.)

They do make the best of it though. We have an enormous auditorium that accomodates PTA, theatre productions, awards, etc.

Many teams are "open"- no cuts: football, track, tennis, cross country, wrestling, as well as dance team, band and flag, yearbook, newspaper, theatre and ROTC, Skills USA and DECA.

The amount of open clubs is astounding- there is a club for basically any interest the kids have- and many community service activities. Robotics, Math Team, Peer Counseling, Book Club, FFA, FBLA... on & on. The only reason that kids participate in nothing is simply because they do not want to.

Acadamic recognition is given at the top as well as most improved- by individual classroom, subject, year class, and overall.

Our theatre program produces more scholarship recipients than many sports.

Student council consists of each classes officers- based on class rank and school club/sport involvement. Definitely not a "popularity" contest.

We have no gangs- and very few fights. I have 4 sons- 2 have graduated- two attend presently. They have different interests, abilities, talents, and one is "differently- abled". They all have found plenty to do, many friends, and keep/kept themselves busy with various things there instead of getting into trouble.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back