TX - Maleah Davis, 4, Sugar Land, Media, Maps and Timelines *NO DISCUSSION*

AUG 5, 2019
Mother of Maleah Davis responds to new charge against Derion Vence
[...]

Maleah Davis' mother, Brittany Bowens responded to the new charge, saying, "It's not fair to Maleah. At this point I want to know what happened to my daughter. The fact that he went through a great extent to cover himself is unbelievable. It's not enough. These charges aren't enough. But I have faith justice will prevail. Maleah we love you forever."

[...]

AUG 6, 2019
Mom’s ex faces new charge in death of 4-year-old Maleah Davis
[...]

District attorney’s office spokesman Dane Schiller said the investigation in the case continues and a potential murder charge against Vence is “not off the table.”

Murder and injury to a child both carry a sentence of up to life in prison, Schiller said.

[...]

Michelle Choi on Twitter
HAPPENING NOW: A group of #maleahdavis supporters showed in court, we’re waiting to see if Derion Vence, Maleah’s stepdad will stand before a judge. This time he’s facing a new charge: injury to a child in connection to her death. I’m told he’s on the docket. #KHOU11 #HTownRush
9:22 AM - 7 Aug 2019 from Houston, TX

Michelle Choi on Twitter
Update: Derion Vence case reset for Sept. 16 - judge set both of his bonds at $45,000 each, including the new charge of injury to a child. Maleah Davis supporters including her cousin says they’re beyond frustrated and angry about what’s happening in the case. #khou11 #HTownRush
9:53 AM - 7 Aug 2019 from Houston, TX

Ivory Hecker FOX 26 on Twitter (Video)
#MaleahDavis Update: Derion Vence did not appear in court this morning as his bond was set at $45,000 for the new charge of injury to a child causing serious bodily injury. I tried to ask his attorney Dorian Cotlar a few questions. Not a friendly guy.
10:27 AM - 7 Aug 2019

Last edited:
AUG 7, 2019
Maleah Davis' family says they're angry suspect hasn't been charged with murder
[...]

Maleah's family, on her biological father's side, were in court Wednesday.

TM, a cousin, says they're angry Vence hasn't been charged with murder. TM believes Brittany Bowens, Maleah's mother, should face charges too.

"You left her in that apartment for however many days until you figured out how to move my little cousin and then threw her on the side of the highway like she was trash," Mendoza said outside the courtroom. "You knew what you were doing. That was murder. Period. Murder."

[...]

A spokesperson for the Harris County District Attorney's Office said a murder charge carries the same penalty of life in prison, but prosecutors would have to prove Vence intended to kill Maleah.

[...]

AUG 7, 2019
Who dropped Derion Vence off at the hospital after Maleah Davis' disappearance?
[...]

Police tell FOX 26 Vence hitch-hiked his way to the hospital.

They say he did not know the person who picked him and his son up the night he reported Maleah missing.

Police say they had thought he was dropped off in the same silver Nissan he’d been driving. Turns out, it was a car that looked identical, and police say the driver will remain unnamed because they are irrelevant to the case.

[...]

“I just feel like there’s no justice. There is no justice being served. Like, you steady resetting court dates. You’re steady lowering bonds. Hell, if that’s the case, just let him out and let the streets deal with it. That’s how I feel," said TM, Maleah's relative.

[...]

Prosecutors say if they do get evidence that warrants a murder charge, they’ll file that charge, but right now they have evidence for a charge that carries the same sentence as murder.

Vence’s arraignment on the latest charge has been reset for September 16.

AUG 7, 2019
Judge orders $45K bond for man who faces new charge in Maleah Davis case
[...]

Prosecutors asked 180th state District Court Judge DaSean Jones for a $100,000 bond...

In arguing for the higher bond, the Harris County District Attorney's Office said Vence showed "violent tendencies" when he allegedly beat Maleah earlier this year. The injury to a child charge doesn't explicitly allege that Vence killed Maleah; it claims he caused her serious bodily injury by either hitting her with his hands, hitting her with a blunt object, causing her to fall to the floor or causing her to strike a blunt object.

After ordering Vence's bond at $45,000, Jones told prosecutors in court that the lower amount was appropriate for the allegations.

"If it's a murder, file it as a murder," Jones said.

[...]

AUG 28, 2019
Maleah Davis memorialized with bronze sculpture in Houston
The death of four-year-old Maleah Davis broke hearts across Houston, and now the little girl who touched so many people is being memorialized in a special way.

[...]

“Just somewhere where she makes the biggest impact," she says. "Somewhere where whenever people walk through, that they can be reminded to either help the children or just to have a conversation about it.”

[...]

“There needs to be a conversation about that, of what's happening to our children in society. Of what we need to be better protectors for our children," Scarpetta says.

AUG 30, 2019
Maleah Davis' beautiful Disney themed-headstone shared by her aunt

view

Maleah Davis' aunt DD shared a photo of her niece's Disney-themed headstone where she was laid to rest.

DD posted the photo to her Instagram account Friday saying: "Everything I could have imagined and more for my Princess! Thank you Affordable Markers Atwater for creating something so special! May you forever Dash In Peace my Angel, until we meet again."

[...]

James Palmer on Twitter
Good morning from Houston. Today, I'm at the courthouse for Derion Vence's rescheduled arraignment regarding Maleah Davis. Here's some background on the case:
•Davis reported missing after she and Vence failed to show up @ the airport to pick up Davis' mother.
•Vence arrested after police found holes in his story and Davis' blood in the apt
•Vence told activist Quanell X where he left Davis, body found May 31.
8:42 AM - 16 Sep 2019

James Palmer on Twitter
Since his last court date in July, Vence was charged with a felony count of injury to a child on Aug. 5. His arraignment today will cover both the tampering with evidence and child injury charges.
8:46 AM · Sep 16, 2019·Twitter for Android

James Palmer on Twitter
I suspect that I once again won't be able to live tweet, but I'll update as I can.
8:46 AM · Sep 16, 2019·Twitter for Android

James Palmer on Twitter
Welp, the deja vu is kicking in. Looks like it was once again rescheduled for sometime in October, according to the bailiff.
9:00 AM · Sep 16, 2019·Twitter for Android

James Palmer on Twitter
Vence's next court appearance will be Nov. 12 at 9 am, according to the docket.
9:48 AM · Sep 16, 2019·Twitter for Android

SEP 26, 2019
Artist gifts bronze Maleah Davis sculpture to Texas EquuSearch Director Tim Miller
A bronze Maleah Davis sculpture created by a Houston artist now has a forever home.

Texas EquuSearch Director Tim Miller took to Facebook Thursday to thank artist Shirley Scarpetta for deciding to keep the piece of art at their Dickinson office.

"We are grateful for the opportunity to give this beautiful piece created in remembrance of Maleah Davis a home here at our office in Dickinson," Miller said in a Facebook caption.

[...]

Texas EquuSearch - TXEQ
Director Tim Miller with artist Shirley Scarpetta. We are grateful for the opportunity to give this beautiful piece created in remembrance of Maleah Davis a home here at our office in Dickinson.
71543411_2848818211817251_1279770855433306112_n.jpg
70916216_2848819141817158_1221363066894024704_n.jpg
71901189_2848819155150490_8013448460734824448_n.jpg

OCT 17, 2019
Red Lake Bridge in Hempstead County to be named after Maleah Davis
A ceremony dedicating the Red Lake bridge over I-30 at Exit 18 in Hempstead County, Arkansas will be held Saturday, November 9 at 10:00 am, to formally name the bridge “Maleah Davis Memorial Bridge”. Signs have been purchased and will be installed and unveiled at that time.

[...]

“As Sheriff of Hempstead County, I would like to invite all who would like to show support or participated in the search for Maleah, Her Family, the Officers who had to work the scene and anyone who may way want to let the world know that we The Law Enforcement Officers of Hempstead County will never forget May 31, 2019 and will always think of Maleah as Our Little Angel,” said James Singleton.

Cheryl Mercedes on Twitter
IT'S OFFICIAL! The Red Lake Bridge in Hempstead County, Arkansas will be renamed "Maleah Davis Memorial Bridge". A dedication ceremony is set for Nov 9. #khou11 #maleahdavis
EHF58wdWkAAQ6sZ.jpg

12:02 PM - 17 Oct 2019

OCT 20, 2019
Arkansas Community Gathers To Remember Maleah Davis
[...]

The community came to the site to lay toys, flowers, and gifts to remember Maleah.

"She's all our little girls she could be my grandchild her grandchild we all have children, we drive this highway all the time and never knew she was there," said Debbie Gulley.

The Fulton community and the Department of Arkansas Transportation will be holding a dedication ceremony on November 9 where they will unveil a sign in Maleah's honor.

OCT 28, 2019
New details emerge in Maleah Davis' death
Court documents say that Vence not only hit the little girl with a blunt object, but restricted her airway with an unknown object. He did not seek medical help for the little girl.

Court docs shed new light on what happened to Maleah Davis before she died
We knew Maleah was injured when Derion Vence allegedly hit her with his hand and a blunt object, but court documents released Friday say Vence also blocked her airway with an unknown object.

Maleah Davis' 'airway restricted' when she died: Documents
[...]

The grand jury in the high-profile case accused Vence of harming Maleah "by restricting the (victim's) airway with an unknown object."

The information was added to Vence's existing charge of felony injury to a child/serious bodily injury that was filed back in August. Based on evidence, including the girl's autopsy, prosecutors determined there was sufficient evidence to charge Vence with intentionally and knowingly causing serious bodily injury to a child younger than 15 years of age.

[...]

The injury to a child charge is a first-degree felony, punishable by up to life in prison.

Medical examiners ruled Maleah's death was the result of "homicidal violence," although, the exact method was not disclosed at that time.

[...]

OCT 28, 2019
New court documents reveal Maleah Davis' airway was 'restricted' before death
[...]

Vence, who has been described by family members as Maleah’s stepfather, has been additionally charged with injury to a child, "intentionally and knowingly causing serious bodily injury" to Maleah.

The charge is a first-degree felony, which carries the same penalty as murder, five to 99 years in prison. A Harris County District Court judge set his bail at $45,000 for each of the charges, bringing his new total to $90,000.

[...]

OCT 29, 2019
Man Indicted on Child Injury Charge in Death of Maleah Davis
A Texas grand jury reviewing the death of a 4-year-old girl has reported that her mother's ex-fiance restricted her airway with an unknown object.

The allegation comes in a superseding indictment against Derion Vence in the death of Maleah Davis. He has been charged with serious injury to a child, an offense that could carry a life sentence. He also is charged with corpse tampering and has remained in the Harris County Jail since his May arrest. Bonds total $90,000.

[...]

OCT 28, 2019
Court docs shed new light on what happened to Maleah Davis before she died
[...]

"I have no doubt he’ll be charged with some form of murder and probably capital murder,” said KHOU legal analyst Gerald Treece.

Treece belives the District Attorney's Office is taking their time on this case for a reason.

[...]

Treece explains that while evidence is still being collected, the DA’s not up against the clock but once a murder charge is filed, a defendant has the right to a speedy trial and the clock starts ticking.

“People just need to take a deep breath, justice will be done here I think.”

Ivory Hecker FOX 26 on Twitter (Video)
Maleah Davis’ cousin TM spoke with me in court after a prosecutor and defense attorney representing Derion Vence appeared in court briefly today, only agreeing to reset his court date for January 22 and go over discovery then.
12:05 PM - 12 Nov 2019 from Houston, TX

NOV 12, 2019
Derion Vence doesn't appear in court; arraignment rescheduled again in Maleah Davis case
The only person charged in 4-year-old Maleah Davis' death, Derion Vence, did not appear in court Tuesday for his rescheduled arraignment.

Only a prosecutor and Vence's defense attorney showed up. They reset his court date for January 22, 2020, to go over discovery.

[...]

The key piece of evidence is Maleah's autopsy, which still hasn’t been released to the public.

The medical examiner's office tells FOX 26 they won’t release it until law enforcement concludes its investigation.

[...]

Maleah’s cousin TM spoke with FOX 26 in court on Tuesday.

“All of a sudden now y’all come up with this new development of her airway being restricted," said TM. "How? If her body was the way that they described her body to be when they found it, how could they say that her airway was restricted? What do they know that they’re really not telling us?”

[...]

At this point, no one has been charged with causing Maleah’s death. Police tell FOX 26 there is not enough evidence to prove intent.

DEC 5, 2019
Houston's most shocking crimes of the decade
Houston is home to infamous crime stories dating back decades.

But what about recent crimes that Houstonians will remember years from now? Chron.com compiled a list of some of the most shocking and heartbreaking crimes in and around the area since 2010.

[…]

MALEAH DAVIS May 2019 Four-year-old Maleah Davis is reported missing by her mother's boyfriend, Derion Vence. Her body was later discovered in a trash bag in Arkansas after a nearly monthlong search that captivated the nation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back