GUILTY TX - Officer Don Allen, 27, killed in Craigslist robbery, Abilene, 31 Aug 2015

According to court documents, Allen created a posting on Craigslist under the personal ads.

“The suspects responded to the ad and arranged to meet with the victim,” a Texas Ranger stated in the affidavit.

The documents go on to reveal “the suspects insisted the victim used an alias during their contact with him.”

KTXS viewed the ad before its removal from the site on Monday and deemed it to be too explicit for publication.

http://www.ktxs.com/news/rangers-murder-suspects-met-abilene-officer-through-craigslist/35392728

I'm not judging his personal life nor am I blaming him, but all the warnings we see about online encounters via craigslist and this happens to a cop? It makes me sad and angry.

JMO.

I'm not judging his personal life nor am I blaming him, but all the warnings we see about online encounters via craigslist and this happens to a cop? It makes me sad and angry.

JMO.

Sometimes people weigh the risks and figure it's worth it. Maybe he felt like it couldn't happen to him given his line of work. There were a number of LE in my city in the Ashley Madison dump- at least three who used their work related email addresses (der?) so probably more than that. Poor guy got pretty unlucky.

Facebook rumours?

It was LE sensitive and regardless of the content I could not release it, but the fabric of it was incorrect and did nothing to help the case. It is possible that the originating agency made the alert from FB rumors but I am sure that someone got the riot act after it was deemed to be unsubstantiated.

Abilene Police Still Searching for Murdered Officer's Department-Issued Handgun

Abilene Police say they are still searching for the police-issue glock .22 handgun that belonged to murdered Officer Don Allen nearly two months after his death.

Violet and Philip Walter were arrested and charged with First Degree Murder just days after Officer Allen's death on August 31.

A search warrant filed by the Texas Rangers reveals The Walters and Officer Allen allegedly met on Craigslist, saying "the victim [Officer Allen] created a posting under the personal ads. The suspects responded to the ad and arranged to meet with the victim. The meeting resulted in the death of the victim and property being stolen from his residence," the document states.

More at the link, including a list of evidence recovered.

2 indicted in Abilene police officer Don Allen's murder

A Callahan County grand jury has indicted a husband and wife for the murder of Abilene police officer Don Allen.

[snip]
On Sept. 3, Violet and Phillip Walter were arrested and charged with Allen’s murder. Previous search warrants revealed the couple matched the description given by witnesses. They also were seen pawning 4 Playstation 4 games and a bracelet at 6:14 p.m. the night Officer Allen was murdered, according to affidavits. Allen’s fiancée identified the bracelet as hers. Examination of Allen’s Playstation console reportedly showed investigators he had recently played the games the Walters were caught pawning.

The affidavits say Phillip Walter’s fingerprint was also found on a water bottle inside Allen’s home.

Both Phillip and Violet Walter remain in the Taylor County Jail on a $500,000 bond each

More at the article, including links to the indictments.

Officer Allen Murder Suspect Bonds Out of Jail

Violetta Walter posted a $75,000 bond Thursday after her bail was reduced from $600,000 in a bond reduction hearing that morning.

Her mother took the stand during the hearing and testified to Violetta's character, saying she's never been in trouble with the law before and claiming she's well educated.

:eek:hoh:

Her husband Phillip Walter was also scheduled for a bond reduction hearing, but he did not appear because his lawyer was sick. His bond is still set at $600,000.

Both suspects are charged with 1st Degree Murder, Robbery, and Theft of a Firearm - all three charges are related to Officer Allen's death.

May 2, 2016 is the tentative date set for the couple to stand trial for the crime in 42nd District Court in Callahan County, according to the District Clerk who says The Walters are also scheduled to appear in the courthouse on April 12th for a 'docket call'.

Judge: No reduced bond for man accused of killing Abilene officer
A man accused of killing Abilene police officer Don Allen has had his request for a reduction of his $600,000 bond denied.

District Judge John Weeks declined Phillip Walter's request in a Callahan County courtroom Thursday after Texas Ranger Dan Crawford testified that he believed the murder suspect would be a flight risk.
(...)
Crawford said he believed Phillip Walter would be at risk of fleeing, especially with his wife free after being released from jail after posting bail.

http://m.ktxs.com/news/judge-no-reduced-bond-for-man-accused-of-killing-abilene-officer/37940352

Again.

Trial Date Reset for Don Allen Murder Trial

Phillip and Violet Walter will stand trial for the murder of Abilene Police Officer Don Allen on September 6 in Callahan County.

Trial reset for couple accused of killing Abilene officer
That’s according to the Callahan County District Clerk’s Office, which stated that neither side was ready for the trial proceedings originally scheduled for Tuesday.

The Sept. 6 date is still tentative, and the trials could be further delayed if either side requests it

It's time to put these two away already. :mad:

From the KTXS piece:

The Sept. 6 date is still tentative, and the trials could be further delayed if either side requests it.

Believe what that says.

The judicial system in Texas can be slow moving. In many of the rural judicial districts, the system is understaffed and underfunded -- from judges to prosecutors and public provided attorneys.

Callahan County is rural with a shrinking tax base. When the price of oil is down, it has a significant effect on Callahan County tax revenue.

Some judicial functions receive additional funding from the state, but the bulk is funded by the county. Counties in the case of multiple county districts.

Saw this tweeted on Tuesday by the Callahan County DA:

@CallahanDA

Gov. Abbott announces Police Protection Act. How about a provision wherein State will pay for prosecution ??? https://t.co/Tp1qOgAEMc

I live in a rural Texas county similar to Callahan County. I've heard it said more than once at my courthouse that a murder case in my county could bust the budget for several years.

From talking with DAs in some other rural judicial districts, it can be a challenge for the lightly staffed/funded offices to handle a murder trial along with the usual felony cases.

I suspect the Callahan County system is under some strain. I expect they will get this case to trial, but it may take some time getting there.

Stan Standridge on Don Allen Murder: " He Served Many Citizens"

Chief of Police Stan Standridge released the following statement on the death of Officer Allen:

“Today Police Chaplain Beth Reeves and I visited the Allen family. One year ago today their son was killed by criminal homicide and, as parents and siblings, the Allen family struggles to understand this senseless act of violence. They appreciate the community’s loving response to their family, and they are very appreciative of their police family. They do not grieve alone. In Officer Don Allen’s short career, he served many citizens and saved the life of a 16-year old child. Today we remember him and especially his loving family.”

Abilene officer's fiancée, father give emotional testimony in murder trial

Wednesday morning's proceedings began with emotional testimony by Sarha Waters, who recounted walking into the bedroom and seeing Allen, 27, on the floor — without pants and with his wrists and ankles bound and some form of clothing wrapped around his neck.

"I grabbed him and I yelled at him," Waters said through tears. "I called Jim (Allen, Don's father) and told him Don's dead and he needed to come over."

Others testifying Wednesday included William Simpson, an emergency medical technician who responded to the call, and Clyde police Sgt. David Wood, who processed the scene and took what he called "schematic photographs" of the outside and inside of Allen's home.

Leggett questioned Crawford about the possibility that Allen simply accepted the risk of engaging in sexual acts featuring choking or gagging, both of which were requested in communications leading up to the fateful encounter in Allen's home Aug. 31, 2015, according to submitted emails.

So they're trying to say because he had some kinks it was his own fault?

Walters Sentenced to 40 Years for Officer Allen Murder

Married couple Violet and Phillip Walter have been sentenced for their part in the murder of Abilene Police Officer Don Allen.

They were each sentenced to serve 40 years total behind bars - a 40-year-sentence for murder, a 20-year-sentence for robbery, and a 10-year-sentence for theft. All sentences will be served concurrently.

I'm new here, and found this website through Google after watching an episode of the new Oxygen series "Killer Couples."

This sounds like an extremely complicated story, the details of which are too explicit to describe in the mass media. Among other things: what a horrible way to find out that the person you love is not who you thought they were. What other secrets may he have been hiding?

The Walters were addicted to meth, and were stealing to support their habit and possibly engaging in prostitution (both of them) as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back