TX - Sgt. Craig Hutchinson, shot at his home, July 2016 *ruled a suicide*

"Start Round Rock to my 42. We've got... uh... prowlers in my back yard," snip Eight minutes after the call for backup, we heard dispatch again.

"Units are outside Oak Manor for 43 Round Rock. P.D. does have one officer on scene at this time," In two minutes, officers learned what happened.

"Officer down," echoed dispatch.

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/deputys-call-for-help-archived-on-police-feed/280933469

scanner feed in on the video.

Not sure of the point in the pc they had. jmo

- gave an address for people that want to donate to the family and aren't sure about which acct is real
- said they are done processing the scene
- said they have gotten many leads but also encourage people to please call the number and report anything they know.... and that was it.

After it ended a reporter tweeted:

Christy Millweard ‏@ChristyM_KVUE 2h2 hours ago
No arrests and no description of suspects

I'm confused why they wouldn't release this. I hope he wasn't shot with his own gun.

I suspect because it is an ongoing investigation. I see that withheld in other cases when the suspect/s haven't been arrested.

It wouldn't be that uncommon if he was shot with his own weapon. I have seen other cases where the suspect/s overpowered the officer and took their firearm away from them in a struggle and the officer was shot to death with his/her own weapon. It would still be considered homicide no matter if the suspect/s did manage to grab his gun and shoot him to death.

However; I don't believe that is what happened. More and more home/property criminals have their own firearms. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if we learn he was shot by more than one perpetrator or even three if that is how many it turns out to be. That may be one of the reasons LE isn't wanting the COD released at this time due to the possibility that he was shot multiple times by more than one person and more than one firearm. They would be able to tell that from the bullet casings on the ground and if his wounds showed he was shot with more than one type of caliber.

I just hope the items that were taken from the officer's shed will turn up in a pawn shop somewhere since they have cameras in all of them and require ID. Or if they try to sell them on the street I hope one of the snitches for LE will tell them about it. I also hope they weren't wearing gloves and left fingerprints on items they may have touched but decided not to take.

This is such a totally heartbreaking case to know he had served over 30+ years and had planned his retirement to begin in September.:(

IMO

K
I suspect because it is an ongoing investigation. I see that withheld in other cases when the suspect/s haven't been arrested.

It wouldn't be that uncommon if he was shot with his own weapon. I have seen other cases where the suspect/s overpowered the officer and took their firearm away from them in a struggle and the officer was shot to death with his/her own weapon. It would still be considered homicide no matter if the suspect/s did manage to grab his gun and shoot him to death.

However; I don't believe that is what happened. More and more home/property criminals have their own firearms. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if we learn he was shot by more than one perpetrator or even three if that is how many it turns out to be. That may be one of the reasons LE isn't wanting the COD released at this time due to the possibility that he was shot multiple times by more than one person and more than one firearm. They would be able to tell that from the bullet casings on the ground and if his wounds showed he was shot with more than one type of caliber.

I just hope the items that were taken from the officer's shed will turn up in a pawn shop somewhere since they have cameras in all of them and require ID. Or if they try to sell them on the street I hope one of the snitches for LE will tell them about it. I also hope they weren't wearing gloves and left fingerprints on items they may have touched but decided not to take.

This is such a totally heartbreaking case to know he had served over 30+ years and had planned his retirement to begin in September.:(

IMO
I very much appreciate your well written post. I was trying to be delicate with my above post until we know more. I guess for me, being on WS makes me aware of all possible outcomes, even the most unbelievable.

Travis County SO ‏@TravisCoSheriff 33m33 minutes ago
Sergeant Craig Hutchinson VISITATION: Monday Aug 1 4:00-8:00 pm Cook Walden Funeral Home 6100 N Lamar

Travis County SO ‏@TravisCoSheriff 31m31 minutes ago
Sergeant Craig Hutchinson FUNERAL: Tuesday Aug. 2 at 10:00 am Shoreline Church 15201 Burnet Road

Travis County SO ‏@TravisCoSheriff 31m31 minutes ago
Gravesite Service with Police Honors will follow Sergeant Craig Hutchinson's funeral at Cook Walden-Capital Parks 14501 N IH-35

K
I very much appreciate your well written post. I was trying to be delicate with my above post until we know more. I guess for me, being on WS makes me aware of all possible outcomes, even the most unbelievable.

Thank you. I think that is a very good reason to wait until further information unfolds by the police department who has the evidence and has been at the scene rather than leaping to assumptions before the facts are known. Most of the time in most all cases though the possible outcomes turned out to be just like what they seemed to be. I think this case will be one of those and this officer was shot by the burglars he found in his backyard. As for myself only, I prefer to wait on the actual evidence. No two cases are alike, and I look at them all on an individual basis, and not based on what may have happened to another officer in the past. JMO though.

Gee. Something isn't right with this story. In NY whenever a cop is shot with suspects loose it doesn't STOP bring a huge deal until they are caught. This is awfully quiet. No description because they were gone when cops got on scene? I'm leaning towards self inflicted. But something isn't right here.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Gee. Something isn't right with this story. In NY whenever a cop is shot with suspects loose it doesn't STOP bring a huge deal until they are caught. This is awfully quiet. No description because they were gone when cops got on scene? I'm leaning towards self inflicted. But something isn't right here. Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Self inflicted? Yes, possible.
Another possibility is that the multiple intruders/invaders/burglars/what-ev got control of Sgt. Hutchinson's weapon and shot him w it.
Both = possibilities. Another possibility = they BYOG (Brought Their Own Gun/s) and used it/them.

IIUC, they opened a shed, presumably in the backyard (sideyard?). If so, had they already taken goodies from the house, and if so, what was taken? What in a shed would be alikely target for stealing? Power tools? Shop tools? What else? If a car/truck/motorcycle had been in shed and they prep'ed to steal it, seems that info would have been public by now. Also, likely imo MSM would have called it a garage, not a shed.
From the ltd pix of his street in MSM, seems houses are of the style which include attached garages. So maybe a outbldg would be called a shed (local usage?) Can any one verify his home had attached garage? TiA.

RIP Sgt Hutchinson.

I don't know anything about a garage, but I am thinking he probably had a storage bldg in the backyard where he probably kept his lawn equipment, and maybe tools he didn't use regularly. My parents put a shed in their backyard, mainly for lawn equipment. From what I've seen, people who also use their garage for the car(S) and storage tend to keep things they use regularly in the garage, and have a shed for lawn and garden storage, seasonal. Nothing about his death has me considering suicide. Just doesn't seem to make sense.

.... Nothing about his death has me considering suicide. Just doesn't seem to make sense.

sbm Agreeing w ^, no reason to think this was suicide. Just a possibility that they got his gun, either service/duty gun or personal gun, away from him & shot him w it. Perhaps even took it.

Could ppl passing by easily identify the house as a LEO's home, for ex, if he usu drove marked car home and usu parked in driveway, instead of parking inconspicuously in garage? In our last home, we were glad to have our neighbor-LEO consistently park a city PD car two doors away from us. Why deliberately target a LEO's home, if they did? Revenge for arrests, convictions? Someone w chronic, acute case of stupidity? IDK.

Has anyone see an obituary for him? TiA.

Christy Millweard ‏@ChristyM_KVUE 15m15 minutes ago
Travis County medical examiner's office: have cause of death for Sgt. Hutchinson, but due to "law enforcement objection" can't release

Ummmm, he was shot? Hey, LE...cat's out of the bag on this one...

This is bizarre. It seems like a simple "the officer died from a gunshot wound" would suffice. What is it they don't want released? Did he have drugs or alcohol in his system?

Ummmm, he was shot? Hey, LE...cat's out of the bag on this one...

This is bizarre. It seems like a simple "the officer died from a gunshot wound" would suffice. What is it they don't want released? Did he have drugs or alcohol in his system?

Whoops, my mistake from seeing too many LEOs being shot? Will have to back up & read MSM. My Mother cautioned me about the problem w azz-uming. Maybe I did azz-ume. My apologies.

ETA: I re-read early articles & some later that day; some have been updated but still saying he was shot. Although it's possible gunshot was not cause of death. Puzzling.

Whoops, my mistake from seeing too many LEOs being shot? Will have to back up & read MSM. My Mother cautioned me about the problem w azz-uming. Maybe I did azz-ume. My apologies.

ETA: I re-read early articles & some later that day; some have been updated but still saying he was shot. Although it's possible gunshot was not cause of death. Puzzling.

You weren't wrong! It's just weird to have them saying the officer was shot, pronounced dead at the hospital, but due to law enforcement request the cause of death is being withheld!!

It is a terrible loss, regardless. So sad that he was so close to retiring and getting to enjoy his family more.

Could be his own gun was used, and LE doesn't want that info out because it is now missing. I'm going with the stupidity theory as to why his place was burglarized. The killers may have not been familiar with this neighborhood and didn't know a cop lived there, or they thought he worked nights and wouldn't be home before daybreak. I think most people who commit burglaries lack old fashioned common sense. If I was thinking about robbing somebody, I would do my homework a little better!

Could be his own gun was used, and LE doesn't want that info out because it is now missing. I'm going with the stupidity theory as to why his place was burglarized. The killers may have not been familiar with this neighborhood and didn't know a cop lived there, or they thought he worked nights and wouldn't be home before daybreak. I think most people who commit burglaries lack old fashioned common sense. If I was thinking about robbing somebody, I would do my homework a little better!

It still seems like the ME should be able to state the cause of death was a gunshot wound without specifying further.

It just makes me WAY more curious than I would have been otherwise!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back