TX - Sgt. Craig Hutchinson, shot at his home, July 2016 *ruled a suicide*

For there to be such a loud commotion it woke up some neighbors, I really would hesitate to say self inflicted. Anyone could have wrestled him for the gun and shot him. I hope if that's the case, they will find prints on the gun or on the shed.

So sad, either way. It is disturbingly similar to JG's case in many ways- minus the long career of being a bad cop and thief.

Right. And I hope that doesn't come out in this case.

For there to be such a loud commotion it woke up some neighbors, I really would hesitate to say self inflicted. Anyone could have wrestled him for the gun and shot him. I hope if that's the case, they will find prints on the gun or on the shed.

I couldn't tell from the article I read if the commotion was from before or after the first responders to the prowler call from Sgt. Hutchinson arrived. Aside from that, I cannot find anything from his family in MSM. They must be beyond devastated. It just seems too quiet for a LEO being killed.
Was anyone else at his home when this happened? I have missed this if it was published.

Did it wake up the neighbors or were they awake and heard it? I wish we could get a better description of how commotion is defined in this case. A commotion might be yelling (which could have simply been on the phone), or doors slamming, windows breaking, shouting, etc.

The woman living on the block behind him was awakened by all the commotion, then stated that about five mins later, the area was lit up by LE. I don't believe there was anything that stated his family was home or not. A few people have questioned if he heard the noises when he got out of his car or after he got in the house. I don't think that was ever mentioned, but I have a feeling he heard something when he got out of the car. The burglars probably heard him pull up, saw his headlights, and made noise trying to get away before being seen. Probably dropped things in an effort to get away before Craig could get to the backyard.

A Texas sheriff's deputy who was killed by a bullet from his own gun outside his home last month had been facing foreclosure, according to a news report.

(...) Investigators are still trying to determine if
Hutchinson shot himself or if someone else shot him with his gun.

Documents obtained by the Austin American-Statesman and KVUE-TV show that SunTrust Mortgage filed a notice with the Williamson County clerk's office July 11 announcing that Hutchinson's home was eligible for a foreclosure sale.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-sheriffs-deputy-killed-by-his-own-gun-was-facing-foreclosure/

Financial trouble or not, I am not willing to accept suicide at this point in time. Since commotion woke a neighbor up before LE showed up, I'm still leaning toward botched burglary and Craig being overpowered by suspects and shot. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what unfolds.

With the release and clearing of the six arrested on small charges, and the foreclosure news, I'm leaning toward suicide. The only good thing from that would be that one family is devastated and opposed to several if more people were involved.
There is an upcoming news conference in a week or so.

Monetary Benefits in Limbo

To help surviving families, most cities and counties offer employee retirement and pension plans. These benefits—accrued over a career of public service—can be passed along to a spouse no matter how that employee dies, a spokesman for the Texas County and District Retirement System says.

Experts say it is important to know exactly how members of the force die because the cause of death is directly linked to benefits for the fallen officer’s family. Now that Hutchinson’s death has been ruled a suicide, his family will not likely qualify for state and federal death benefits, according to state law. A special state fund provides $500,000 for the families of officers who die on the job. Three-hundred-thousand dollars is also available in federal benefits. Free state college tuition and stipends are made available for surviving children as well.

Executives at charitable organizations such at the 100 Club of Central Texas and the Sheriff’s Memorial & Benevolent Society of Travis County tell KXAN News they have either already contributed donations to Hutchison’s surviving family members or plan to regardless of how his life ended.

Symbolically, Sgt. Hutchison’s name will no longer be posted on the Officer Down Memorial Page.

“His memorial will be removed from ODMP,” confirmed ODMP President Chris Cosgriff. “Although this is an extremely rare occurrence, it has happened once before. In September 2015 Lt. Joe Gliniewicz, of the Fox Lake (Illinois) Police Department, committed suicide that was staged to make it appear that he was murdered in the line of duty. Once the determination was made that his death was in fact a suicide his memorial was removed.”

As well, the marker at the Texas Peace Officers’ Memorial wall at the Capitol Complex will not bear Hutchison’s name, according to CLEAT which oversees the monument.

More:
http://kxan.com/2016/08/12/police-clear-persons-of-interest-in-sgt-hutchinson-case/

The medical examiner ruled the death a suicide. Officials also disclosed the deputy had a history of anxiety and depression, and had been on antidepressants since December 2015.

An emotional Travis County Sheriff Greg Hamilton appeared at the press conference, wondering aloud if he could have done more to reach out to his fallen officer. But he noted the two had a meeting in his office as early as two weeks ago, and Hutchinson appeared in good spirits and enthusiastic about his future.

The lone silver lining in the tragedy is the heightened attention to depression that Hutchinson's death has brought. Hamilton said there could be others suffering similar pain, and he intended to reach out to his rank and file to prevent future such tragedies.
http://patch.com/texas/round-rock/d...eriffs-office-deputy-officially-ruled-suicide

@tplohetski (Tony Plohetski -- Reporter with Austin American-Statesman and KVUE)

RR police: ME confirmation single wound to palm was near-contact wound. Dec. 2015, he had been prescribed depression med, but none in body

RR police: Investigators uncovered a number of financial complications for Sgt. Hutchinson, including repo of cars and home in foreclosure.

Round Rock police: Pieces came together Aug. 8 that helped lead investigators to suicide conclusion.

Sheriff Hamilton: This one final act doesn't minimize his career in Travis County, to community he served. "He apparently had some demons."

A couple of things- it's sad that he was so tormented and depressed and it's got to be awful for his family. IMO tho it's a whole lot less sad that he chose to end his life than it would be if there were two people running around out there who took his life and ruined their own.
Also, it was the ethically decent choice for him to not invent descriptions for the imaginary perps. So I feel his death was honorable and I also wonder if this was less a case of him trying to cover up his suicide and more a case of him wanting to be found right away by first responders rather than his loved ones.

A couple of things- it's sad that he was so tormented and depressed and it's got to be awful for his family. IMO tho it's a whole lot less sad that he chose to end his life than it would be if there were two people running around out there who took his life and ruined their own.
Also, it was the ethically decent choice for him to not invent descriptions for the imaginary perps. So I feel his death was honorable and I also wonder if this was less a case of him trying to cover up his suicide and more a case of him wanting to be found right away by first responders rather than his loved ones.

That could very well be.

Probably had him on one of those new fangled anti depressants that cost over $10.00 each and work about as well as aspirin! And if they weren't working well, they could have given him suicidal thoughts.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back