Ugly Betty Actor murders his mother

If he had a history of psychotic illness, then he should have a history of taking medication too. And they will need to check out his twin brother, since biologically, they will be the same. They haven't said if he had any history of acting out in this manner, that's what makes me wonder if something happened at the meeting. Maybe he was slipped a drug that altered his mental state?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...rea_slays_mother_for_being_sinner_police.html

Neighbors insisted the brutal killing of Yannick Brea early Tuesday occurred as police ignored their desperate demands to kick in the dying woman's front door.

Neighbors said the cops stood outside the door for close to an hour - and even left the scene at one point - before finally entering.

They discovered the victim with multiple gashes to her head inside the blood-spattered bathroom.

Sydney, whose father owns the building, said his dad gave four cops permission to break down the front door.

"They just kept saying protocol this and protocol that," Sydney added. "Now a woman's dead who should be alive if only the police would have listened."

Some articles say she was decapitated and some say she had multiple gashes to her head.

I can see that as well-the only other thing that occurred to me was schizophrenia... :(

How old is he? I didn't catch it?

Schizophrenia was the first thing that came to mind when I was watching the clip.

Poor dear lady. She sounds like a wonderful, loving supportive lady. If that young man had a disociative break then this is a tragedy for all involved. I wonder if the young man is in his right mind yet and if so what must he be thinking??

The news coverage painted a picture of a young man who is well like, career taking off, loved his mother and openly praised her. This one just makes me sad, not angry.

I wonder if they've done any blood tests on him to see if he was slipped some kind of narcotic? He comes home with a sword, which the lodge claims was stolen, although it's hard to believe when he walked out with such a large weapon. Also, it appears in one of the photos in the link below that he had some smaller masonic weapons. This guy had multiple tools, and he just walked out of a lodge with them?

The headaches before going to bed, then waking up in a frenzied murderous state just sounds like it could also be a drug induced psychosis. It's just too much coincidence that this happens right after he has the lodge meeting, where he somehow walks away with the weapon(s).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1332943/Michael-Brea-Sword-Ugly-Betty-actor-used-kill-mother-with.html

According to that CNN article Kaybug posted, the father is also a Freemason.

even if he had no history of psych illnesses in the past, he may have been experiencing symptoms in recent weeks.

Schizophrenia begins in the early twenties, often in highly ambitious, involved, motivated, high functioning young adults, often symptoms will first appear in college or the beginning of their careers taking off. Perhaps linked to the increase in pressures. I am not a mental health professional but I think we may learn this young man had a genuine psychotic break during the onset of a serious mental illness.

I wish we knew what did happen here.

So angry about LE not breaking down the door and possibly saving the woman's life. This has to be looked at.

Also, waiting to find out what exactly was wrong with him that made him go crazy.

So sad to take place around the holidays.

RIP
Goz

Wow - this is horrific. If he does have schitzophrenia and also did illegal drugs (pure speculation here), then there was a timebomb ready to go off. Who kills their mother with a sword while spouting bible passages. No One In Their Right Mind.

My heart goes out to the mother.

Mel

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/11/26/2010-11-26_i_didnt_kill_her_i_killed_the_demon_inside_her_psycho_tells_news_in_chilling_det.html?page=1

Speaking with white-hot intensity and unflinching confidence, Brea described a shadowy descent into a world filled with Masonic symbolism and black magic beginning late Sunday when he snapped awake.

"I heard voices telling me how powerful I was, saying 'Oh he's good,'" Brea said.

While recounting the gruesome murder, Brea showed no remorse, and his eyes stayed locked on a reporter.

How old is he? I didn't catch it?

Schizophrenia was the first thing that came to mind when I was watching the clip.

Poor dear lady. She sounds like a wonderful, loving supportive lady. If that young man had a disociative break then this is a tragedy for all involved. I wonder if the young man is in his right mind yet and if so what must he be thinking??

The news coverage painted a picture of a young man who is well like, career taking off, loved his mother and openly praised her. This one just makes me sad, not angry.

He's 31. Usually S shows up in the late teens.
I guess it could show up whenever it wants too also.
jmo

wow ty. That is a little old for S but he certainly seems to have suffered some sort of break.

There is a wealth of information on mental illnesses now, not like it use to be. Thank goodness.

"When does schizophrenia start and who gets it?

Schizophrenia affects men and women equally. It occurs at similar rates in all ethnic groups around the world. Symptoms such as hallucinations and delusions usually start between ages 16 and 30. Men tend to experience symptoms a little earlier than women. Most of the time, people do not get schizophrenia after age 45.3 Schizophrenia rarely occurs in children, but awareness of childhood-onset schizophrenia is increasing."

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/schizophrenia/complete-index.shtml

This was not a schizophrenic episode.

His family appears to have ties to the freemasons because his father was one. In the NY Daily News article where they interviewed him in Bellevue, he even says the sword was a masonic sword given to him by his father. The father has on the other hand tried to say it was a martial arts weapon. When I think of martial arts I think of asian weapons, and that isn't an asian weapon that was pictured.

The interview also has him mention a dagger, which was also pictured with the sword in those crime scene photos.

You can put this one down as some kind of satanic occult murder, and he was enacting some kind of human sacrifice ritual. I can only guess, but it's possible the father inducted his son or sons (he has a twin brother) in the masons early on, hence the sword gift. For whatever reason he visited the masonic temple, something was done there to him that triggered repressed memories or a split personality. He spoke to his father on the phone hours before the rampage, so that may have also been part of the trigger. Perhaps the 'god' voices in his head were his father's?

Why the lodge would claim he stole it from their premises is odd. Perhaps they want it because of how it was used?

I don't think this was an act related to being a Mason or going to a Masonic meeting.

I'm not sure what I think of it. It sounds like he is still delusional from the interview. He told the reporters about voices. Which sounds like schizophrenia to me. I thought the voices usually mocked the person in schizophrenia though? I think the masons figure into it only because the rituals helped fuel his paranoia. You know, not that they were the cause of it.

Such a sad, tragic story. I hate to imagine the anguish this young man will feel if he ever regains his faculties and faces the reality of his actions. He obviously loved his mother very much. What a terrible shame.

It's such an inconceivable act that it raises many questions for me.

According to one article, he had no history of mental illness nor violent behavior.
Neighbors and an ex-girlfriend described Michael Brea as a martial arts student who showed no signs of any mental illness and no violent tendencies.
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...word_by_her_son_police_say.html#ixzz16SFXd3JI

I wonder if he had suffered a head injury in the past. Frontal lobe lesions will sometimes cause sudden psychotic aggression. If he was predisposed to schizophrenia, the stress from his financial misfortune could have triggered it. I'm not a mental health professional, but I do know that most schizophrenia patients are non-violent. Many will become agitated at times, and irrational, but not severely violent. It's also my understanding that when violent episodes do occur, they generally follow a pattern of progression and normally do not appear at the onset of the disease. Schizophrenics who are substance abusers are the most likely to become violent, so I have to wonder if drugs were a factor.

After the Freemason meeting, he called his father from home complaining of a headache. His father told him to lie down and pray.
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/24/new.york.sword.murder/index.html?hpt=P1&iref=NS1

It was while he was lying in his bed that his mother asked him to drain water from a pot in which she was boiling chickens.

His mother then knocked on the door and asked him to go to the kitchen and pour water from a pot in which she was cooking three chickens.

"I looked at these chickens lying dead in the pot and a voice told me it was a sacrifice. It was black magic," he said.

Brea left the chickens alone and went back to his room. When his mother asked why he did not do what she had asked, he said she spoke with a different voice.

"She had the voice of the demon. I opened the door with the dagger at my side and the sword," he said.

I'm just speculating here, but I have a feeling he exhibited delusional or irrational behavior at the masonic meeting, and his father was aware of it (though he certainly could not have predicted what would happen later). As a Catholic, I'm very familiar with the practice of chanting, repeating prayers, e.g. the Rosary, and meditating on symbols to elevate one's state of mind to a spiritual level. Like Catholicism, Freemasonry is heavy on ritual and symbolism. So I wonder, did a ceremony take place at the meeting? If so, did the ritual, the repetitious recitations, for instance, push Brea into an altered state of reality?

Something else came to mind this evening. The other day I read that his mother was Haitian. Then tonight I read about the incident with the chickens which Brea envisioned as "a sacrifice". To me, that suggested voodoo. NOTE: I am in NO way suggesting that Brea or his family engage in black magic, or satanic worship, or any nefarious practice because that is not what voodoo is about. Having lived my entire life in New Orleans with many Haitian friends over the years, what I know as voodoo is a melding of Roman Catholicism and Haitian Creole spirit awareness. Haitian customs would naturally have been present in his homelife to some degree, and again, we have ritual, symbolism, and what many would consider superstition.

I might be blowing smoke, but assuming Brea suffers from a mental illness or organic brain disorder, I can't help but ponder whether or not, and to what extent, religious practice and cultural influence contributed to his condition and state of mind on the night he killed his mother. Regardless, I am so sorry for this fellow and his poor mother, and for their family.

It doesn't sound like Mrs. Brea tried to fight back...she was found in a kneeling position. Most likely praying while on her knees.

How horrible of a death.
icon9.gif

May Mrs. Brea be at peace.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members