Ugly Betty Actor murders his mother

Michael Brea, bit-part 'Ugly Betty' actor, has unwavering support of his family despite killing mom

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/11/27/2010-11-27_michael_brea_bitpart_ugly_betty_actor_has_unwavering_support_of_his_family_despi.html

The family of a sword-wielding psycho suspected of hacking his mother to death pledged their unwavering support for him Friday - despite the gruesome killing.

His family, in their five-paragraph statement, said that was not the Michael they knew.

I don't think I am ready to believe the freemasons are some sort of "cult" encouraging bloodletting.

MOO the Masonic membership is coincidental and in no related to this man's breakdown and murder of his beloved mother.

I'm not sure what I think of it. It sounds like he is still delusional from the interview. He told the reporters about voices. Which sounds like schizophrenia to me. I thought the voices usually mocked the person in schizophrenia though? I think the masons figure into it only because the rituals helped fuel his paranoia. You know, not that they were the cause of it.

BBM.

Nope. Depending on how the voices manifest, they can be friendly, or commanding, or demanding, or...whatever. They don't necessarily mock the sufferer, but generally do instruct them to do something, often violence, towards someone else. Some do mock, you're right, but not all of them, or not all the time.

Schizophrenia is a definite possibility here. One of the worst mental illnesses a person can suffer...this whole story is just so sad on so many levels.

Best-
Herding Cats

BBM.

Nope. Depending on how the voices manifest, they can be friendly, or commanding, or demanding, or...whatever. They don't necessarily mock the sufferer, but generally do instruct them to do something, often violence, towards someone else. Some do mock, you're right, but not all of them, or not all the time.

Schizophrenia is a definite possibility here. One of the worst mental illnesses a person can suffer...this whole story is just so sad on so many levels.

Best-
Herding Cats

Thank you for answering, Herding. I know it probably sounded like a dumb question. :blushing:

I don't think I am ready to believe the freemasons are some sort of "cult" encouraging bloodletting.

MOO the Masonic membership is coincidental and is in no way related to this man's breakdown and murder of his beloved mother

I agree, Freemasonry does not encourage bloodletting. It's a coincidence that he happened to join when on the verge of a meltdown. Had he joined a year ago, would he have killed his mother a week later? I seriously doubt it.

Was Freemasonry a causal influence in his mother's murder? That's obvious. We have the sword, the neighbors' account of what they heard, and his own admission.

Brea was a highly suggestible young man suffering from stress, and perhaps the onset of schizophrenia. The Masonic belief system countered that of his Creole Catholic mother. With his judgment already impaired by his mental condition, Brea was tormented by conflict. He finds his mother boiling chickens and believes she is practicing a black magic ritual. This ignites the battle. In the end, the Freemasons won out, but all of the ritual and symbolism meant to enhance the teachings had a very unintended result.

Brea said he is convinced he did the right thing.

"Grand Architect of the Universe means God," he said, referring to an expression neighbors said he shouted as he was being removed from the bloody scene. "I was praising God. To you it might sound silly, but in my culture demons are very real."
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...tells_news_in_chilling_det.html#ixzz16baP1kzy

sorry Bessie, was not shooting down your theory that in his deluded mind the masonic structure was not a factor, just clarifying my own position/belief regarding the post from shlock that it was some sort of ritualistic murder with ties to genuine masonic order business.

btw could you fix your post where you are quoting me? There is a sentence added on the end that is not mine but appears to be as it is quoted in your number 46

Could you please take out the sentence that reads "Had he joined a year ago, would he have killed his mother a week later? I seriously doubt it." as that is not my thought and was not part of my post. tyvm

btw could you fix your post where you are quoting me? There is a sentence added on the end that is not mine but appears to be as it is quoted in your number 46

Could you please take out the sentence that reads "Had he joined a year ago, would he have killed his mother a week later? I seriously doubt it." as that is not my thought and was not part of my post. tyvm
Sorry, tlc. Don't know how that happened. :waitasec: I think it's right now.

TY bessie, it is correctly quoted now. I agree that the masonic membership could very well be a part of Brea's delusional thinking. My post was related to Shlock's suggestion that there was some nefarious masonic ritual that could be blamed but your thought that there is SOME connection between Brea's actions and his membership in the order cannot be ignored.

I was hoping that someone would have published the entire 5 paragraph statement. They just printed selected parts. Maybe those other sections speak to his history. Has he ever exhibited signs of mental illness.

One thing about a schizophrenic is that they have difficulty taking care of themselves. They stop washing, they don't groom themselves well. Unless medicated, they probably can't hold a job. There are degrees of it, but considering this man is in his early 30s, there should have been signs of it for over a decade. He couldn't just snap out of nowhere in such a manner.

That's why I'm also wondering if he could be faking. The interview he made from the hospital was a little too perfect, a little too exact for someone schizophrenic. It would be easier to tell if he's faking had it been on video. I'm not saying I'm an expert, I only have dabbled in psychology, but when you deal with the public, you learn to see who's not really all there in the head, and maybe who's faking it.

Why would he do this? Maybe something was promised to him if he did the act. I don't think the mother got along with the father, they were divorced or separated. The freemason and occult murder aspect might still be relevant, but rather than viewing him as a person possessed or hit with mental illness out of the blue, perhaps with his not so spectacular acting career and failed business, he was given this choice to perhaps gain some kind of higher status among the freemasons. Or so he thought. It all depends on how this plays out.

Do we have any evidence or stories of Free Masons killing people for status?

FWIW, here are a few articles which might shed light on the MB's cultural background, belief system, state of mind, and why traditional medicine was not sought to diagnose/treat previous symptoms (if they occurred):

Culture and Mental Health in Haiti: A Literature Review
2010 World Health Organization

Family and Gender Relations
Craan (2002) underlines the great importance of family in Haitian society, which is heightened in times of stress and difficulties. The family in Haiti is elastic and extended and usually includes a large network of relatives, neighbors, and friends (Dauphin, 2002)...
Middle class families in urban centers are organized around a model combining Haitian and Anglo-American elements. While authority is said to be held by the father, who is often absent, the mother remains the poto mitan, the central pillar of the family. In general, mothers have responsibility for the spiritual and emotional life of the family; fathers are responsible for finances, although mothers take care of the details (Bijoux, 1990, p. 31). Female-headed houses in Haiti are very common, particularly in urban areas (Magloire, 2008). In recent years, the pressures of poverty have disrupted the lakou system, leaving many families without the support and shared parenting afforded by the lakou (Edmond, Randolp & Richard, 2007).

Religion
Religion plays a crucial role in all spheres of Haitian life, including politics, morals and health (Corten, 2000; Hurbon, 2004). Haiti is characterised by religious diversity, including: Roman Catholicism, Vodou (which combines West African traditions and Catholicism), and various Protestant traditions. Catholicism, Vodou and Protestant faiths have evolved in Haiti in interaction with each other and share key symbolic elements
(Brodwin, 1992; 1996). Each religion cannot be understood without taking the others into account (Hurbon, 2001a). Since Catholic and Protestant traditions may be better known to non-Haitian readers, this section will focus on Vodou.

Vodou is widespread in Haiti and is practiced by the majority, including Haitians who identify as Catholics and, to a lesser extent, Protestants (Métraux, 1958). The name “Vodou” stems from the Fon word meaning spirit. The Code Noir of 1685 by Louis XIV made mandatory the conversion of slaves to Roman Catholicism. In an effort to hide forbidden African religious practices, the slaves identified their African deities with the
saints of the Roman Catholic Church. The slaves could then give the appearance of strict adherence to Roman Catholicism, but were able to retain aspects of their West African
religion, which manifested itself in Vodou (Hurbon, 2008).
Vodou is not a homogenous religious system; there is great diversity in regional belief and practice (Najman, 2008). Most people who practice Vodou or “serve spirits” do not speak about it openly with strangers, clinicians, or others outside the tradition. Although individual knowledge and attitudes vary with education and religious affiliation, Vodou is part of the cultural background for most Haitians, regardless of their identity.

Psychosis
When people have suffered repeated psychotic episodes and their functioning is impaired, they may be labeled ‘fou’ (crazy) and viewed as permanently dysfunctional. Their cognitive ability and judgment may never be trusted again, even after a long period of remission. This is a loss for the family especially in first episode psychoses where the person had a promising future (in terms of education and career) (Desrosiers & Feurose, 2002)...

The symptoms that characterize schizophrenia are based on concepts of self and non-self. In Euro-American cultures,
thinking that the some entity other than the self has thoughts, feelings and goals can be seen as pathological, magical thinking or evidence of a psychotic thought disorder. However, in Haitian culture, thoughts, feelings and agency may be ascribed to invisible spirits or to the magical action of others. Diagnostic assessment, therefore, must not look
only at the form, but also at the theme or the content of the behavior exhibited by the person. The same behavior characteristic of schizophrenia in Europe or North America can be representative of normal spiritual and religious beliefs in Haitian culture, for example communication with and appeasement of deceased relatives who live on as ancestral spirits (Miller, 2000).

In the Haitian context, it is particularly important to distinguish spiritual practices from psychological or psychiatric problems. If religion is ignored, misinterpretation of spiritual experiences and explanations can lead to misdiagnosis and mistreatment (Azaunce, 1995). The person who says “I see the evil spirit in my house” or “God came to me and told me to give up my job, so I did” may not be delusional or hallucinating
(Gopaul-McNicol, 1997, p. 44).

In religious practices that involve possession, a spirit can enter a member of the congregation to punish, reward, treat or cure another member of the congregation. As such, it is important to distinguish between negative possession experiences (by an evil spirit) which may be best dealt with by spiritual healers, and experiences of possession associated with schizophrenia, which are usually accompanied by a broader range of symptoms including blunted affect, thought disorder, deterioration in functioning, social withdrawal and poverty of speech (Azaunce, 1995).
http://www.who.int/mental_health/emergencies/culture_mental_health_haiti_eng.pdf

Culture-Bound Syndromes

The definition and expression of mental illness varies around the world. According to the DSM-IV, "Although presentations conforming to the major DSM-IV categories can be found throughout the world, the particular symptoms, course, and social response are very often influenced by local cultural factors. In contrast, culture-bound syndromes are generally limited to specific societies or culture area and are localized, folk, diagnostic categories that frame coherent meanings for certain repetitive, patterned, and troubling sets of experiences and observations."

Boufée delirante (West Africa, Haiti)
A sudden outburst of agitated and aggressive behavior, marked confusion and psychomotor excitement. It is an acute, nonaffective and non-schizophrenic psychosis, accompanied by visual and auditory hallucinations and/or paranoid ideation. A distinctive feature is a complete remission after an acute episode.

Patients are typically under age 30, and do not have previous diagnoses of psychological or neurological disorders. It strikes "like a thunderbolt." Duration is typically brief, and the patient may never have another episode.

This term was used in French psychology for some time, but is now declining. Although the DSM-IV lists West Africa and Haiti as locations, it appears to be more widespread across the Caribbean and areas that have traditionally been associated with French occupation, and within France itself. Source 1, 2.

http://rjg42.tripod.com/culturebound_syndromes.htm

Bouffée Délirante (Acute Delusional Psychosis) Since it has been recognized that tardive dyskinesia
may develop as a serious complication in a significant minority of patients with schizophrenia on
maintenance therapy with antipsychotic drugs, it has become even more important to make a correct
initial diagnosis. In French psychiatry the condition known as acute delusional psychosis, or bouffée
délirante, is not included in the diagnosis of schizophrenia. Rather, bouffée délirante is considered a
disease entity in its own right, a psychiatric disorder that does not require maintenance pharmacotherapy.
The following are essential criteria for the diagnosis of bouffée délirante, not all of which need to be
present: (1) frequent background of personality disorder; (2) absence of a schizoid premorbid
personality; (3) sudden onset; (4) duration of less than 3 months; (5) spontaneous return to premorbid
level of adjustment, even without specific antipsychotic treatment; (6) polymorphous symptoms, a
disorderly (kaleidoscopic) succession of differing delusional contents; (7) a fascinating intensity of the
delusional experience; (8) oscillations between insight and delusion; (9) mood alterations and
fluctuations; (10) increase in delusions in sleep-related states; and (11) sudden termination after days or
weeks (rarely months).
Accordingly, bouffée délirante episodes belong to the schizophrenic spectrum disorders. In American
clinical practice those episodes are usually diagnosed as schizophreniform disorder.. French psychiatrists
report that about 40 percent of patients with the diagnosis bouffée délirante are later reclassified as
suffering from schizophrenia.

http://www.brown.edu/Courses/BI_278...es/Brain and Behavior/articles/schiz_clin.pdf

exactly, ty so much for taking the time to research that! So in addition to the usual societal stigma associated with reporting that you are hearing voices, due to a hatian background in the family, even if he was exhibitting symptoms of mental illness they may not have been identified as such but rather explained by a Hatian belief structure.

I have done a lot of work with Haitian vodun, and it does have a bad wrap. But it has been used in terrible ways on the people of Haiti by leaders who did not have their best interests at heart, sadly.

I only know the basics about culture bound syndromes. My instinct is that they are less dominant over people not actually born within the affected culture, but then I think about various syndromes amongst the descendants of genocide survivors, and I pause. Parents and grandparents can pass down quite a bit of the homeland through not just their teachings but the general home atmosphere.

It's a sad case, whatever the motivation.

exactly, ty so much for taking the time to research that! So in addition to the usual societal stigma associated with reporting that you are hearing voices, due to a hatian background in the family, even if he was exhibitting symptoms of mental illness they may not have been identified as such but rather explained by a Hatian belief structure.
Yes. Or, the symptoms were "treated" within the family by non-traditional means, prayer and herbal remedies, perhaps. An example would be MB's father telling him to lie down and pray when he complained of a headache, following the episode at the temple when he felt like Neo from The Matrix and heard voices on the train. His father only mentions knowledge of the headache, but I really believe he was aware something more was going on.

I stumbled across a video uploaded to youtube before the incident. It was uploaded a day or so, and I'm guessing it was Michael Brea's own youtube account. If it was filmed a week or two before the attack, he doesn't exhibit any signs of any mental problems, no weird quirks in behavior or body language. He appears to be quite normal.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc1kRYh9_XY&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc1kRYh9_XY&feature=related[/ame]

We still don't know the reason for his attack, it is all a guess. We don't know if he was taking drugs, had a mental illness or it is one of the theories we are throwing out. Could be any reason. Maybe he was under stress and blamed his mother? Just throwing that out. I didn't say I believed it but who is to know at this point. I don't buy the Free Mason theory though and there is no proof of the others yet.

Goz

You are rigth Goz, we are flying blind at this point. All specualtion - no facts.

Thank you for answering, Herding. I know it probably sounded like a dumb question. :blushing:

Not a dumb question at all...not at all. Actually, it's a good question. I have one schizophrenic in my neighborhood who has really friendly voices, apparently, as he's always smiling and laughing in response to his "internal stimuli" (his voices). He's a very friendly character, but is definitely schizophrenic. But most folks have had experience with those who are schizophrenic with negative, commanding voices.

And if this was a schiz break, then it definitely wasn't "happy, positive" voices he was hearing...not at all.

Best-
Herding Cats

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname