Deceased/Not Found UK - April Jones, 5, Machynlleth, Wales, 1 Oct 2012 #3 *M. Bridger guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, just found and article (written some time ago) in the Guardian that states: "The Lord Chancellor's Department's statistics on successful appeals against criminal conviction show that in the decade 1989-1999 the Court of Appeal (Criminal Division) abated over 8,470 criminal convictions - a yearly average of 770.

The most recent figures available show that 12% of criminal convictions are overturned on appeal.

I had no idea so many innocent people were and are convicted. Yikes! :(

Don't forget that in a number of cases the appeal will have succeeded because the original conviction was deemed to be unsafe. Unlike the Scots, we don't have a "not proven" verdict, so technically these 12% could be regarded as "innocent", but in reality some of them will have got away with a crime through lack of persuasive evidence or occasionally because of some technicality.

So well-written and erudite, Adorabella.

This morning, reviewing all reports and material, I have an uneasy feeling that there is something wrong with this case. If he didn't do it, his life is already ruined. I thought the police would have had rock solid, incontrovertable evidence to back up the charges, but now I am wondering... God, it doesn't bear thinking about if they've got the wrong man.

Or woman.

Thank you for the kind words. :)

Found a nonsensical comment, which, if it has any basis in truth, is rather fascinating: when a person cries and the first drop of tears comes from the right eye, it’s happiness. But when the first roll is from the left, it’s pain.

Just saying. :)

in a small community it would be known.

Machynlleth is not a little village, though: over 2000 people. Some on the estate might have been aware that he'd moved out of that community, but they wouldn't know to where unless he'd told them.

And yes, he should have notified the DVLA of his change of address, but I wonder how many people remember to do that as soon as they move?

Or woman.

Thank you for the kind words. :)

Nice one - You see, i am making assumptions! :)

By the way, my father in law was charged with murder and freed. He was 50 miles away at the time of the murder and CCTV eventually proved it, but not before he had spent 4 months on remand in a top security prison. Mind you, he was a former professional career criminal (banks) as a young man.

Machynlleth is not a little village, though: over 2000 people. Some on the estate might have been aware that he'd moved out of that community, but they wouldn't know to where unless he'd told them.

And yes, he should have notified the DVLA of his change of address, but I wonder how many people remember to do that as soon as they move?

If MB's name was given to the police immediately and if his car also fitted the description of the one April was 'kidnapped' in, then I would imagine in a village of 2,000 people, with the police knowing who and what they were looking for would have been able to find him, or at least sooner than they did - especially as his vehicle was parked in the open...and he was also out and about.

Also, he was known by a number of locals (good friend's with April's dad, too, apparently) and had been the ex of a few local women, one in particular up until a week earlier, so they would have had his mobile number and or known of his latest address. The property may have been rented a month earlier because the relationship he was in was getting difficult and he was about to end it and needed somewhere to move to?

I wonder too if this man will go down the Huntley route of it was an accident and I panicked. Being held in Manchester prison can't be much fun - no offence intended towards any Mancunians :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/oct/08/mark-bridger-court-april-jones

2025c6e0-0dc3-499f-b63f-ca9dec58c533-460.jpeg

Asked if he was Mark Leonard Bridger, he replied: "That is correct." He paused when he was asked what his address was and the clerk read it out: "Mount Pleasant Cottage, Ceinws." Bridger simply said: "Correct."

He confirmed his date of birth and was told the severity of the charges meant he could not be tried in a magistrates court.

The first charge – the murder of April Sue-Lyn Jones between 30 September 2012 and 3 October 2012 – was detailed. He looked to the ceiling and tears welled in his eyes.

He bit his lip and answered "yes" in a trembling, high-pitched voice when he was asked if he understood the charge.

For those who don't know HMP Manchester is the old Strangeways and has a high suicide rate.

Sky stated in their news report that he was questioned for 95 out of the 96 hours that he was held for...seriously?

Just discussed this in a private message and it's just struck me that this may be the key for me with my odd 'feeling' that something isn't right: we haven't seen MB on camera. We have seen stills and know a little about him BUT with other cases we had an opportunity to sense through watching 'them' act/ appeal/ talk/ move/ smile etc whether or not we felt they were guilty. This time we haven't.

Sky stated in their news report that he was questioned for 95 out of the 96 hours that he was held for...seriously?

I very much doubt it. I think they mean he was held for questioning for 95 out of the 96 hours. Suspects are allowed 8 hours sleep in each 24 hour period, regular meals and breaks for drinks. I distinctly remember LE saying he was being questioned for a second time, then later for a third time and finally for a fourth time - it will not have been continuous.

No. Sky have been really bad reporting on this case. Getting names wrong, events wrong, reporting on incorrect statements, their usual speculation, asking the same question over and over.

I have a really uneasy feeling about this. From the media naming him (remember Christopher Jeffries and Robert Murat), the police waiting until an hour before having to release or charge him to charge him, which feels like they don't have the strongest platform of evidence to charge him on, and that he openly sobbed in court. Doesn't strike me as an act of a cold blooded killer. I'm also appalled at the social media mob mentality that he should have been tortured to make him confess/tell people where the body is and the fact that, despite him having no trial as of yet, he should be hung.

If twitter/FB is representative if real life then how will he receive a fair trial. It seems like the media has convinced a lot of people he is guilty already with no evidence to back it up.

I very much doubt it. I think they mean he was held for questioning for 95 out of the 96 hours. Suspects are allowed 8 hours sleep in each 24 hour period, regular meals and breaks for drinks. I distinctly remember LE saying he was being questioned for a second time, then later for a third time and finally for a fourth time - it will not have been continuous.

Then Sky need to think seriously about what they state as fact.

Does anyone think he'll plead guilty? I'm not sure what I think. I wish the trials didn't have to be so far off.

If MB's name was given to the police immediately and if his car also fitted the description of the one April was 'kidnapped' in, then I would imagine in a village of 2,000 people, with the police knowing who and what they were looking for would have been able to find him, or at least sooner than they did

But he wasn't in that "village" (actual a market town) of 2,000 people!

- especially as his vehicle was parked in the open...

I don't think we know that it was. There's a yard in which a car would not be visible from the road. But also, do remember that Ceinws is a tiny hamlet on an unclassified road that sees very little traffic.

Also, he was known by a number of locals (good friend's with April's dad, too, apparently) and had been the ex of a few local women, one in particular up until a week earlier, so they would have had his mobile number

Does he have a mobile? Would he have answered it if he had just abducted and possibly murdered a child?

and or known of his latest address.

I repeat, only if he had told them. My guess is that one or more of those women told the police that he had moved to somewhere in the Corris Valley, which is why they closed the main valley road. But without a specific address, searching the lanes and remote hamlets would surely have taken several hours - by which time, of course, he had been spotted.

I don't think we should be blaming the police for being slow in picking him up without clear evidence to that effect.

I have a really uneasy feeling about this. From the media naming him (remember Christopher Jeffries and Robert Murat), the police waiting until an hour before having to release or charge him to charge him, which feels like they don't have the strongest platform of evidence to charge him on, and that he openly sobbed in court. Doesn't strike me as an act of a cold blooded killer. I'm also appalled at the social media mob mentality that he should have been tortured to make him confess/tell people where the body is and the fact that, despite him having no trial as of yet, he should be hung.

Vincent Tabak wept in court. I wouldn't be fooled by that. I agree about the social media though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member