Found Alive UK - Ashya King, 5, Southampton, 28 Aug 2015

'Police have issued a European arrest warrant for the parents of a five-year-old boy with a brain tumour who they took from hospital against doctors' advice.

The Assistant Chief Constable of Hampshire police, Chris Shead said doctors had warned them that Ashya King's condition will "start to deteriorate," adding that the youngster had a "shrinking window" of time.'

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/st...-brain-tumour-taken-from-hospital-by-parents/

I am outraged by the police response to this :(

I'm wondering if there's more to this than what we've been told ?
It seems just the action of a desperate family who felt this was their only option to me at the moment !

'Police have issued a European arrest warrant for the parents of a five-year-old boy with a brain tumour who they took from hospital against doctors' advice.The Assistant Chief Constable of Hampshire police, Chris Shead said doctors had warned them that Ashya King's condition will "start to deteriorate," adding that the youngster had a "shrinking window" of time.'http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/st...-brain-tumour-taken-from-hospital-by-parents/
As this decision seems to have been made by both parents, don't they have the right to chose whether or not to take the hospital's advice ?

Also, not sure this is what they may be considering, but Medical Marijuana is now helping those with cancer tremendously, and yes, even stage 4.

They couldn't give him that in a hospital setting as of yet, since it's not used within medical facilities yet.

Just a possibility ...

This was exactly what I was thinking when I read this story yesterday, as it is relatively easy to get high quality cannabis oil in Spain, and you know what, I absolutely don't blame them trying this. I believe that this little boy's diagnosis is not good, ie he is expected to die fairly soon. Prescription cannabis oil (sativex) is currently undergoing human trials for brain cancer, but these trials take years to conclude. As I said before the laws in Spain are fairly relaxed for growing cannabis and actually I know of a small group of people based in Spain who grow cannabis and produce oil solely for free dispatch to people suffering with terminal cancer.

As this decision seems to have been made by both parents, don't they have the right to chose whether or not to take the hospital's advice ?

I think you're correct Jedi, when I read the article in the paper earlier, it actually quoted that they had not broken the law.

There isn't a specific law to deal with this kind of situation, but the European Arrest Warrant is for child neglect, and it could also be categorised as child cruelty. It should be stressed that, had they gone about it in the correct way, it would have been open to them to withdraw active treatment but have his pain and other symptomatic needs taken care of or alternatively seek out a second opinion in a different hospital. But I'll repeat that taking him out of hospital without the ability to sustainably provide appropriate pain relief or feeding support, and then potentially turn up at a hospital, or unfortunately more likely a quack clinic, off the street in a foreign country without his medical records, isn't the way to help him.

THANK YOU!!!

I'm not finished with the entire video, but wanted to stop for a second and thank you for posting it. I support this family 100%. It's obvious the father did not act on any whims and is quite knowledgeable of what he's doing. Parents of children with cancer are often more up-to-date on current studies, etc. of their child's particular cancer than the oncologists themselves.

THANK YOU!!!

I'm not finished with the entire video, but wanted to stop for a second and thank you for posting it. I support this family 100%. It's obvious the father did not act on any whims and is quite knowledgeable of what he's doing. Parents of children with cancer are often more up-to-date on current studies, etc. of their child's particular cancer than the oncologists themselves.

It's hard to say that. We're only getting his side of the story and I certainly don't have the medical knowledge to untangle the claims. On the one hand we could have a hospital being obstructive in the face of valid treatment options, on the other we could have a parent who thinks he knows better than the doctors wanting to pick and choose aspects of protocols based on partial knowledge.

I just watched the video too. The father is very clued up on what the procedures entail for his son.
They had the same feeding things as the hospital and seemed to know what they were doing.
I was shocked to hear the father say the Dr told him if they question their treatment and don't appear to be going along with the Drs, they would inform social services for an emergency order proventing the parents been on the ward with Ashya.
Surely the parents views should be respected and listened to!
I'm not judging the parents on this one. They were certainly trying to do what they believe to be the best for their son x

I was shocked to hear the father say the Dr told him if they question their treatment and don't appear to be going along with the Drs, they would inform social services for an emergency order proventing the parents been on the ward with Ashya.

There could be a lot more background to that story than is being told.

Do we have any oncologists on this board who could provide some interpretation? I know we have at least one anaesthetist.

Boy. In a quick google search, I found that MD Anderson in Houston recommends Proton Beam therapy for children over traditional radiation.

That's pretty much all I need to see, to know this family is at least on the right track. Prayers that the world will listen to his plea and help this poor family.

I am outraged by the police response to this :(

I'm not sure it's the police fault - I would more quickly blame his original doctors who want to play God and don't allow any questioning of their decisions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back