UK - Ched Evans for rape of 19yo woman, Rhuddlan, Denbighshire, 2011

Full transcript of today's evidence is at the link

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ched-evans-rape-trial-live-9028528

One small snippet ...........

Prosecutor Simon Medland QC is asking about discrepancies between the witness’ two statements.

The first was made in September 2011 and the second in December 2015.

Mr Medland asked why the first statement did not mention anything that was said during intercourse.

In the second statement, the witness claimed the woman told him to “go harder”.

The prosecutor asked: “Was that phrase put to you by the person who took the statement?”

The witness replied: “Not at all.”

He said he felt more at ease giving his second statement in person, rather than over the phone, which is why he included more detail.

I really don't see where the Defence is going here. So the victim had sex with other men. This does not mean she was not raped by CE.

This whole thing make me feel both uncomfortable and filled with rage... it should not be allowed that suddenly, witnesses can forward after being offered a 50 grand reward and no doubt coached by Evans and his 'team' ... I presume the defence is going to say that if Evans claims she said '*advertiser censored** me harder' to him and someone else that she had consensual sex with claims she said the same to them then THAT must prove Evans is innocent. Clutching at straws springs to mind and I don't believe for a second that those new witnesses won't benefit somehow financially, a family member if not them will suddenly have a windfall ...

I dont care if this girl was the biggest trollope in Rhyl, I still think that Evans let himself into that room and started having sex with her whether she was a aware of it or not.

I you know, I wonder if he was putting on a show for his younger brother who he knew was watching at the window ...

This whole thing make me feel both uncomfortable and filled with rage... it should not be allowed that suddenly, witnesses can forward after being offered a 50 grand reward and no doubt coached by Evans and his 'team' ... I presume the defence is going to say that if Evans claims she said '*advertiser censored** me harder' to him and someone else that she had consensual sex with claims she said the same to them then THAT must prove Evans is innocent. Clutching at straws springs to mind and I don't believe for a second that those new witnesses won't benefit somehow financially, a family member if not them will suddenly have a windfall ...

I dont care if this girl was the biggest trollope in Rhyl, I still think that Evans let himself into that room and started having sex with her whether she was a aware of it or not.

I you know, I wonder if he was putting on a show for his younger brother who he knew was watching at the window ...

I completely agree with you.

Bringing in this witness reminds me of rape/sexual assault cases in the 1970s and 80s, where everything was done by the defence to 'prove' that the victim was a '*advertiser censored*' and that the attack was her 'fault', she brought it on herself, or she was lying about it.
I thought our legal system had moved on from using a woman's sex life against her in this way. I just can't see what any of his evidence has to do with whether or not there was consent given to Ched Evans!

Hang on a minute! Is the man who is being quoted today another witness? Not the same one from yesterday?
What's the relevance?

Evans' conviction has been quashed, the taxpayer has had to fund yet another court case, just so two men that the victim has had sex with can take the stand and talk about their sexual encoutners with her?
Surely there must be more, you know, actual EVIDENCE ?

Exactly Dance Card. I will be stunned if this * new evidence * is just several witnesses who are all going to say they had sexual encounters with the victim.

I am wondering if the ending of live witness evidence today and the information that the remainder of the day would be for Matters of Law, could possibly be the Judge speaking to the Defence regarding their case, to ascertain if they are able to provide any direct evidence that CE is not guilty of rape.

Mrs Justice Nicola Davies said:

You decide this case only on the evidence which has been placed before you. There will be no more. The facts of this case are your responsibility.
In this case, the prosecution must prove the defendant is guilty. He does not have to prove his innocence.

Undisputed is the fact that at some point after 4am on the morning of May 30, 2011, in Room 14 at the Premier Inn in Rhuddlan, sexual intercourse took place between Chedwyn Evans and the complainant.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-jury-ched-evans-rape-12017943

Paul Heaney ‏@PaulHeaney67 3m3 minutes ago Colchester, England

Judge in #chedevans trial: You are not here to judge morals of anyone in this case. Includes both the defendant and the complainant.

The judge reminded the jury three people were present in the room - defendant Ched Evans, his friend Clayton McDonald and the alleged victim.

She tells the jury: “Your assessment must be done calmly, objectively and without emotion. You are not here to judge the morals of anyone involved in this case.”

The judge is now explaining the indictment to the jury.

This is a document that sets out the details of the charge.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...9035831?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Paul Heaney ‏@PaulHeaney67 2m2 minutes ago Colchester, England

Judge in #chedevans trial: She cannot say what, if any, sexual activity took place.

Judge in #chedevans trial: He believed from what the complainant said and did that she was consenting to sexual intercourse

Paul Heaney ‏@PaulHeaney67 55s56 seconds ago Colchester, England

Judge in #chedevans trial: If you find his belief was or may have been reasonable, you will find him not guilty.

The judge said: “It is for the prosecution to make you sure that the complainant did not consent.

“You will have to decide whether the amount the complainant had to drink affected her ability to make a choice.

“If you find the complainant was so drunk, she was not capable of making any choice, then she could not have consented.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-jury-ched-evans-rape-12017943

Paul Heaney ‏@PaulHeaney67 1m1 minute ago Colchester, England

Judge: Any rape victim will have undergone trauma. Impossible to predict how that person will react. No stereotypes for victims of rape.

Prosecution begins closing speech

Prosecutor Simon Medland QC is now giving his closing speech.

He reminded the jury the complainant was found by a housekeeper at the Premier Inn in Rhuddlan on the morning of May 30, 2011.

He said: “She was disorientated and did not know where she was.

“She uncertainly made her way out of the corridor towards reception and left.

“She phoned her mum in tears and said: ‘I haven’t got a clue what happened last night.’”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...9035831?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Alleged victim didn't have 'freedom or capacity' to consent

The prosecutor stressed that the room where the alleged incident occurred was dark and Evans had unprotected sex with the complainant.

He reminded the jury Evans let himself out of the fire door afterwards.

He said: “Might it really be that [the complainant] had the freedom and capacity to consent to sex with Ched Evans?”

Mr Medland told the jury they must not consider what happened in Clayton McDonald’s trial.

He added: “The central question in this trial is whether the complainant consented to sex with Ched Evans and whether he reasonably believed that.

“We submit you can be sure that she did not have the freedom and capacity to consent to sex with this defendant.”

Prosecutor Simon Medland QC asked the jury: “Did the complainant know that Ched Evans had even come into that room?

“Did she know that he was having sex with her?

“Did she consent to sex with him?”

He added: “Ched Evans never spoke to her in that room and never asked if she would like to be intimate with him.

“He left that room, we suggest, as surreptitiously as he came in, and left that building covering his tracks, by lowering his head to avoid the camera.

“Why go to those lengths if he had done nothing wrong?”

The prosecutor stressed that rape does not have to involve violence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back