GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok no worries, but it wasnt just the telegraph, it was other papers too, im sure someone if they want to can add up the hours from either 2 or 6am till now and work out which fits with the allowed time a suspect is allowed to be questioned before release or charge, moot now anyway
I had followed that closely and an arrest at 6 am corresponded to the times they were given extra time to question him. I even said earlier that by my calculation the first extension granted by a magistrate would end at midnight, so I expected an announcement near that time: charged, released or more time to question him. It was announced he was charged just before midnight.

i thought the parents were told at 6am of the arrest, if true, then above can't be true, besides, the telegraph and other papers mentioned 2am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...d-not-know-Vincent-Tabak-says-her-father.html

ETA: The parents were told at 6am an arrest had been made

“We know as much as you do. Police informed us at 6am this morning that someone had been arrested on suspicion of Jo’s murder, and their age.
http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news...architect/article-3129181-detail/article.html

eta 2 - people shouldn't post things as fact when they don't have the facts IMO and if they do should link

In these circumstances the police usually ask the family what they wish to be told and when they wish to be told it. Jo's parents may have specified they wanted to be told everything as soon as it happens, or they may have said they only wanted to be informed of *advertiser censored* immediately and anything else from 6am...6am perhaps being the earliest they chose to be woken up with certain news about the case.

If he was arrested sooner then that would explain why the parents were told at 6am.

Just heard the news that they have charged VT.

One thing which I find odd is that if it was him, why he went to Holland then retuned back to Bristol? I know all people act differently but surely if it is him then returning to the area was a HUGE risk? Is it a certainty that he did go back to Holland or is this media speculation ? Why would the police have let him leave the country, seeing as they stated all along that they believe the perp to have been someone know to Jo? A neighbour fits all the bills of knowing she was alone that night etc...

I guess we will have to wait for the evidence to come to light before we have all the answers. I just hope for the sake of everybody involved in the case the LE have substantial enough evidence for this to finally be closed.

Just heard the news that they have charged VT.

One thing which I find odd is that if it was him, why he went to Holland then retuned back to Bristol? I know all people act differently but surely if it is him then returning to the area was a HUGE risk? Is it a certainty that he did go back to Holland or is this media speculation ? Why would the police have let him leave the country, seeing as they stated all along that they believe the perp to have been someone know to Jo? A neighbour fits all the bills of knowing she was alone that night etc...

I guess we will have to wait for the evidence to come to light before we have all the answers. I just hope for the sake of everybody involved in the case the LE have substantial enough evidence for this to finally be closed.

If he's guilty, I hope he's man enough to confess and save all involved the ordeal of a prosecution during which every horrible detail will be impressed upon the minds not only of Joanna Yeates' loved ones, but also his own loved ones

The best thing for the family would be a confession, if he is guilty. But we don't see that happen very often, not sure about in England if that is more common. I know England does seem to give lighter sentences for murder than the US-does England/GB have life without parole? I don't think I've ever seen that.

Can someone explain to me what happens next? I'm based in the UK but don't tend to follow trials closely.

He has to appear in court on Monday, but this is just to confirm the charge...this is where the media normally report something along the lines of "he spoke only to confirm his name".

How long might we expect to wait for a trial? Months I presume?

You're right about Monday. That's an appearance at court where he'll do nothing more than confirm his name and address etc.

I doubt very much he'll get it but there could be later applications to magistrates (and possibly then to judges chambers) for bail.

In maybe three months time or so there will be another appearance at magistrates court. This is the committal process where he will formally enter a plea of guilty or not guilty. The CPS at this point usually release the depositions to the defence (witness and police statements etc).

The actual trial is probably a year, perhaps a little longer away.

In these circumstances the police usually ask the family what they wish to be told and when they wish to be told it. Jo's parents may have specified they wanted to be told everything as soon as it happens, or they may have said they only wanted to be informed of *advertiser censored* immediately and anything else from 6am...6am perhaps being the earliest they chose to be woken up with certain news about the case.

If he was arrested sooner then that would explain why the parents were told at 6am.
I do not know for sure because I am not familiar with the English law, but I think that 6 am is the earliest they can arrest someone at their home, unless something bad is happening in the house and they have to get inside.

candle.gif
Candle For Jo

The actual trial is probably a year, perhaps a little longer away.
Yes, I think a year or two, and even possibly three in some very complex cases. If they already have sufficient evidence and a confession, it should go faster. If they need many experts to be involved, it will be longer.

I do not know for sure because I am not familiar with the English law, but I think that 6 am is the earliest they can arrest someone at their home, unless something bad is happening in the house and they have to get inside.

I'll happily stand corrected but I think they can arrest someone at any time they like. 6am (or "dawn raids" as the media like to report it) tends to be the time of choice when swooping unannounced so as to take the suspect by surprise.

The text released to all the press is also on the Avon and Somerset Police's website. Now see the update time:

Man charged with the murder of Joanna Yeates

UPDATED: Today 21:27

Detectives investigating the death of Joanna Yeates have this evening (Saturday January 22) charged 32 year old Vincent Tabak with her murder.

He will appear at Bristol magistrates court on Monday January 24 2011

Detective Chief Inspector Phil Jones who leads the investigation said: "This evening we have charged Vincent Tabak with the murder of Joanna Yeates.

"I would like to pay tribute to Jo's family and Greg for their assistance and dignity in the most difficult of circumstances. Their support to us has been invaluable.

"I would also like to thank the general public for their help and the information they continue to provide to the investigation, and the residents of Canynge Road for their co-operation and patience."

http://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/LocalPages/NewsDetails.aspx?nsid=22383&t=1&lid=1

just tried to read the news of the world and apparently you have to pay/subscribe now? is this a new thing?

This case is now active as defined by law - which is why the media reporting of the kind we have seen on it will virtually dry up until the trial. Trial reporting is much more factual and so allowed.

Any discussions and speculations not of a factual nature could be seen as prejudicial to a trial, even picking a jury could be difficult. We should be careful in what we post, in my opinion. Many juries contain technically literate people, wouldn't be too hard for curiosity to get the better of them and see what's out there on the internet.

I don't know. But now he's been charged and knows that's breaking news around the world, he'll undoubtedly appreciate the gravity of his situation.

He'll know his family and his girlfriend and her family, his colleagues and friends etc. have all heard the news by now. The hope of preventing that might have motivated him to deny in the hope this would all go away. But now such hopes are dashed forever, he might elect to confess. If so, it might not need to go to trial ? He might want to spare people a drawn out ordeal

I wonder how he felt when he saw his 65 year old LL being arrested, villified as a murderer and his reputation left in tatters. Still branded as a suspect and kept on bail, and all the time knowing he was innocent. If the LL had been charged with Joanna's murder would he have kept quiet and let him take the rap.

I wonder if police are now looking into any other missing and/or murdered women in other areas where he lived.

I wonder how he felt when he saw his 65 year old LL being arrested, villified as a murderer and his reputation left in tatters. Still branded as a suspect and kept on bail, and all the time knowing he was innocent. If the LL had been charged with Joanna's murder would he have kept quiet and let him take the rap.

If he's guilty then I'd hazard a guess he probably thought the Dutch equivalent of "Thank **** they don't think it's me"...soon followed by "oh ****" once LL was released.

I very much doubt he gave one jot about the LL. He'd have been in full self preservation mode. Had he not been he would have fessed up long before they hauled the LL in. If the parents' appeals didn't move him to then the fate of the LL wouldn't.

I'm certain that he would have remained silent. He would have sat back thinking that he outsmarted the police ... something that he would take for granted because he is a bright guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trendtonone